PDA

View Full Version : NDSU, U.S. Bank Stadium vs....

Schism55
February 16th, 2021, 10:56 AM
https://twitter.com/McFeely_Inforum/status/1361322993755041794

Professor Chaos
February 16th, 2021, 11:12 AM
I'd be super excited for this... the complaints that I heard from a fair number of fans about the game at Target Field in August 2019 (bad opponent... not a real football venue) would be non-existent for this one. I'm sure NDSU is able leverage the fact that they drew 30k+ fans to Target Field for a game with Butler to get the attention of the US Bank Stadium folks. I'd imagine 30k+ is certainly doable again and maybe more if EWU brings a few thousand (easy place to fly into) and the huge NDSU alumni base in the twin cities gets amped up for this.

Iridebikes
February 16th, 2021, 03:09 PM
This would be a fun one. Good flights from Spokane into the Twin Cities. Hope it comes together and that I can be in the stands.

SUPharmacist
February 16th, 2021, 11:34 PM
I don’t like things like this getting reported before they are a done deal, but I am excited about the possibility. Its a good chance for those of us who do not make it back to Fargo as often as we would like to get together and have a blast. Also, I like to try and rope in outsiders that I could never convince to come to a game in Fargo to come experience of NDSU football.

dewey
February 17th, 2021, 12:38 AM
I'd be super excited for this... the complaints that I heard from a fair number of fans about the game at Target Field in August 2019 (bad opponent... not a real football venue) would be non-existent for this one. I'm sure NDSU is able leverage the fact that they drew 30k+ fans to Target Field for a game with Butler to get the attention of the US Bank Stadium folks. I'd imagine 30k+ is certainly doable again and maybe more if EWU brings a few thousand (easy place to fly into) and the huge NDSU alumni base in the twin cities gets amped up for this.

If I remember I think NDSU drew about 35k at Target Field. I bet with EWU being a bigger draw plus their fans we get to 40-45k.

EWU would be a great opponent and this would be awesome!

Great idea by NDSU since FBS teams don't want to play them. IIRC I read in that McFeely article that NDSU eared $600k for the Butler game at Target Field. That is really comparable to a FBS game.

Dewey

bonarae
February 17th, 2021, 12:55 AM
I don’t like things like this getting reported before they are a done deal, but I am excited about the possibility. Its a good chance for those of us who do not make it back to Fargo as often as we would like to get together and have a blast. Also, I like to try and rope in outsiders that I could never convince to come to a game in Fargo to come experience of NDSU football.

Do you think Yale or even Harvard would be willing to break the glass ceiling of Northeast FCS football by flying to the Midwest to be hunted by the Bison?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SUPharmacist
February 17th, 2021, 08:09 AM
Do you think Yale or even Harvard would be willing to break the glass ceiling of Northeast FCS football by flying to the Midwest to be hunted by the Bison?

I think that would be great but can't imagine it happening. I would give a 0% chance of either of those teams coming to Fargo and a 0.1% chance of them taking a game against NDSU in Minneapolis.

As long as the IL decides to not participate in the playoffs I do not see what benefit they would get from a game against NDSU.

Professor Chaos
July 28th, 2021, 10:10 AM
It's official!

NDSU, Eastern Washington Schedule Football Game at U.S. Bank Stadium (https://gobison.com/news/2021/7/28/ndsu-eastern-washington-schedule-football-game-at-us-bank-stadium.aspx)

Game will be played on 9/2/23.

DFW HOYA
July 28th, 2021, 10:27 AM

Georgetown had just such an offer in 2010--its former coach (Kevin Kelly) turned it down. Lafayette played there in 2011, lost 42-6.

ASU33
July 28th, 2021, 10:53 AM
NDSU fans will definitely show up strong but does EWU fans travel that well?

Go Green
July 28th, 2021, 11:18 AM

Yale (and Princeton) possibly.

Harvard-- no. At least not while Murphy is still in charge.

nodak651
July 28th, 2021, 11:19 AM
It's official!

NDSU, Eastern Washington Schedule Football Game at U.S. Bank Stadium (https://gobison.com/news/2021/7/28/ndsu-eastern-washington-schedule-football-game-at-us-bank-stadium.aspx)

Will this outdraw the Target Field game? Better opponent helps. St. Thomas would have been awesome though, especially considering they lost their game vs St. Johns there due to covid.

nodak651
July 28th, 2021, 11:23 AM
It's official!

Will this outdraw the Target Field game? Better opponent helps. St. Thomas would have been awesome though, especially considering they lost their game vs St. Johns there due to covid.

I'm assuming that, like UND hockey, NDSU will begin to plan games like this every few years. Any guesses on the next location? Think a destination game could be in the works in a place like Vegas? North Dakotans love an excuse to travel.... (I'll be in Nashville for our hockey game this fall). What would a good destination be for the next game?

Professor Chaos
July 28th, 2021, 12:44 PM

I'm assuming that, like UND hockey, NDSU will begin to plan games like this every few years. Any guesses on the next location? Think a destination game could be in the works in a place like Vegas? North Dakotans love an excuse to travel.... (I'll be in Nashville for our hockey game this fall). What would a good destination be for the next game?
That's a good question. Target Field was a near sellout drawing 35k+ I believe. You'd think with a football specific venue and a better opponent this would outdraw it but NDSU, like most college football programs, was seeing ticket demand drop even before COVID and it seems to be even worse coming out of it. I'd still guess it'll outdraw the Target Field game but we won't get anywhere near packing the place. 40-45k seems like a reasonable goal. A lot will depend on the ticket price too.

As far as the next location goes I don't think they'll venture too far. I wouldn't expect to see a game in Vegas or Nashville anytime soon. Maybe something in Wisconsin or Nebraska to focus on a heavily recruited area in a state where they wouldn't otherwise play. If they would go outside the footprint maybe Arizona would be a possibility since there is a pretty decent alumni base (with a lot of money) down there but I think Minneapolis will continue to be the main focus for these kind of games for NDSU.

NDSUKurt
July 28th, 2021, 03:27 PM

It has been mentioned recently (before this game was announced) that there are locations that have contacted NDSU about doing a game - Arlington, Texas where the Texas Rangers play was mentioned specifically, and general locations like Las Vegas were also mentioned as well.

I figure this game in Minneapolis will be a litmus test for NDSU and future locations. The Target Field game showed that these will work for NDSU, and now with a larger opponent (sorry, Butler - lets face it - you are not cared about for football) and a larger venue, everything will be considered for future locations depending on how the turnout and profit are.

If NDSU keeps doing these (and I hope that they do), I recommend that they look at locations that are family friendly/have activities for younger children, and that they do these on Labor Day Weekend so that fans can make a full vacation out of the game and travel.

I personally would love Las Vegas against a major name FCS team. That would be a home run for NDSU and their opponent, and yes there are lost of family activities to do in Vegas or outside of it.

If not, a game in New Orleans, Atlanta, Nashville, or Washington DC would be fun. Atlanta would make sense as NDSU is currently recruiting Georgia and Florida heavily, and this would further expand their name in the south, but the problem there is that there is always the Chick fil a kickoff game(s) every year there.

The most well attended neutral site games are often involving HBCU's. Would any of these teams be willing to play a game against NDSU and try to fill up the Superdome in New Orleans, Fed Ex Field in Washington, DC, or Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta? Grambling or Jackson State in New Orleans would draw fans, FAMU, Alabama A&M or Alabama State in Atlanta would as well. Perhaps Tennessee State in Nashville would.

James Madison in Washington DC would be great turnout as well.

Bottom line is that NDSU will have more of these as a way to increase revenue for years without a FBS pay game. I just hope that NDSU sees the value of mixing up the locations when they do put these on.

unknown3
July 28th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Neutral site classics. I've seen this somewhere before.

katss07
July 28th, 2021, 03:43 PM
Neutral site classics. I've seen this somewhere before.
Yes you have!

The Battle of the Piney Woods. SHSU sure is a trend setter.

Gothmog
July 28th, 2021, 03:46 PM
It has been mentioned recently (before this game was announced) that there are locations that have contacted NDSU about doing a game - Arlington, Texas where the Texas Rangers play was mentioned specifically, and general locations like Las Vegas were also mentioned as well.

I figure this game in Minneapolis will be a litmus test for NDSU and future locations. The Target Field game showed that these will work for NDSU, and now with a larger opponent (sorry, Butler - lets face it - you are not cared about for football) and a larger venue, everything will be considered for future locations depending on how the turnout and profit are.

If NDSU keeps doing these (and I hope that they do), I recommend that they look at locations that are family friendly/have activities for younger children, and that they do these on Labor Day Weekend so that fans can make a full vacation out of the game and travel.

I personally would love Las Vegas against a major name FCS team. That would be a home run for NDSU and their opponent, and yes there are lost of family activities to do in Vegas or outside of it.

If not, a game in New Orleans, Atlanta, Nashville, or Washington DC would be fun. Atlanta would make sense as NDSU is currently recruiting Georgia and Florida heavily, and this would further expand their name in the south, but the problem there is that there is always the Chick fil a kickoff game(s) every year there.

The most well attended neutral site games are often involving HBCU's. Would any of these teams be willing to play a game against NDSU and try to fill up the Superdome in New Orleans, Fed Ex Field in Washington, DC, or Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta? Grambling or Jackson State in New Orleans would draw fans, FAMU, Alabama A&M or Alabama State in Atlanta would as well. Perhaps Tennessee State in Nashville would.

Bottom line is that NDSU will have more of these as a way to increase revenue for years without a FBS pay game. I just hope that NDSU sees the value of mixing up the locations when they do put these on.

I would expect that NDSU would look to continue this in Minneapolis. The Twin Cities have great and relatively new facilities, they're within NDSU's natural recruiting area, and there are 10,000+ NDSU alumni in the metro area.

The game against Butler at Target Field a couple of years ago was great fun. I'd personally prefer that venue to US Bank (can't beat the warehouse district) but USB is bigger (66K) and has a better layout for football.

This should be fun.

Gothmog
July 28th, 2021, 04:12 PM

Depends on the attendance at the EWU game. If they draw a good crowd at USB, the next one will again be at US Bank Stadium. Otherwise, they may move it across the river to Allianz Stadium. Either way it's likely to stay in MSP. It has to be an NDSU "home" game.

NDSUKurt
July 28th, 2021, 04:34 PM
Depends on the attendance at the EWU game. If they draw a good crowd at USB, the next one will again be at US Bank Stadium. Otherwise, they may move it across the river to Allianz Stadium. Either way it's likely to stay in MSP. It has to be an NDSU "home" game.

Not technically true.

NDSU will still have its traditional 6 games in Fargo every year, no matter if they are playing @ a FBS game, @ a FCS game, or one of these destination games. Whatever game they play as the destination game, it will not be in Fargo, meaning NDSU will still physically travel, just like they would for a road game (although there is a large difference in the cost for charter buses versus charter flights). The difference is that often for these marquee/destination games, the host and/or sponsor will often pay (some or all of) the travel costs for the teams playing in the game.

What I would imagine is that NDSU will treat these destination games as their annual out of conference road game every year (with the exception of years that they have return games as part of FCS home and home contracts) but attempt to be the "home team" for marketing, jerseys, and other behind the scenes actions.

Gothmog
July 28th, 2021, 04:39 PM
Not technically true.

NDSU will still have its traditional 6 games in Fargo every year, no matter if they are playing @ a FBS game, @ a FCS game, or one of these destination games. Whatever game they play as the destination game, it will not be in Fargo, meaning NDSU will still physically travel, just like they would for a road game (although there is a large difference in the cost for charter buses versus charter flights). The difference is that often for these marquee/destination games, the host and/or sponsor will often pay (some or all of) the travel costs for the teams playing in the game.

What I would imagine is that NDSU will treat these destination games as their annual out of conference road game every year (with the exception of years that they have return games as part of FCS home and home contracts) but attempt to be the "home team" for marketing, jerseys, and other behind the scenes actions.

I'm not suggesting that there is a "technical" reason. IMHO, NDSU wouldn't be interested if it wasn't under their control in a nearby (Twin Cities) venue.

bonarae
July 28th, 2021, 08:33 PM
I think that would be great but can't imagine it happening. I would give a 0% chance of either of those teams coming to Fargo and a 0.1% chance of them taking a game against NDSU in Minneapolis.

As long as the IL decides to not participate in the playoffs I do not see what benefit they would get from a game against NDSU.

IMHO they are the best "substitute" I can think of for playoff participation by the Ivies... at least for now. xcoffeex Perhaps Jacksonville State (as an example from the South) can shatter its own glass ceiling in the South and travel north to Yale or Harvard, the latter is wishful at this time... xprayx.

Yes, I agree with this and rep points were issued earlier to you. NDSU's OOCs, when scheduled and done with the right opponents, can help exposure with both the Bison and the FCS in general. I wish more opponents can allow NDSU to compete with them during the regular season and even give the mainstream media in their area fits... xrulesx

But a scheduled game with ANY Ivy League team can shatter that conference's glass ceiling by making the teams aware that the Midwest and the South are the true FCS football hotbeds now and they are missing out on the wild and crazy fun that FCS football truly is. At least the HBCUs play money games from time to time... xcoffeex

Yale (and Princeton) possibly.

Harvard-- no. At least not while Murphy is still in charge.

Unfortunately, Murphy gradually lost his poaching potential the longer he has stayed in Allston. xsmhx

But I agree with Go Green, Yale and Princeton deserve better opponents. NDSU or even a full-scholarship Midwestern or Southern FCS team is a good place to start (hello, ETSU, Jacksonville State and Sam Houston.)

Go Green
July 29th, 2021, 06:56 AM
IMHO they are the best "substitute" I can think of for playoff participation by the Ivies... at least for now. xcoffeex Perhaps Jacksonville State (as an example from the South) can shatter its own glass ceiling in the South and travel north to Yale or Harvard, the latter is wishful at this time... xprayx.

But I agree with Go Green, Yale and Princeton deserve better opponents. NDSU or even a full-scholarship Midwestern or Southern FCS team is a good place to start (hello, ETSU, Jacksonville State and Sam Houston.)

Everyone agrees that NDSU would be one heck of a challenge.

That said, there are other good challenges for the Ivies on the books. Yale's playing UConn this year. Dartmouth's playing Army in a few years. Princeton had a game against Army canceled last season due to COVID. Perhaps that gets rescheduled.

If we win those games, then we may look for greater challenges elsewhere! :)

bulldog10jw
July 29th, 2021, 05:19 PM
Everyone agrees that NDSU would be one heck of a challenge.

That said, there are other good challenges for the Ivies on the books. Yale's playing UConn this year. Dartmouth's playing Army in a few years. Princeton had a game against Army canceled last season due to COVID. Perhaps that gets rescheduled.

If we win those games, then we may look for greater challenges elsewhere! :)

I'm waiting to see what affect new athletic director Vicki Chun has on Yale's future schedules. Tom Beckett was willing to schedule a game each year out of the ordinary and seemed to work hand in hand with the coaches. I'm not sure what Vicki's mandate is and who influences her decisions.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 30th, 2021, 05:41 AM
Looking forward to this game. The Butler game in '19 at Target Field was awesome and so will this one.

My only complaint is the opponent. EWU will not bring many fans to this game. If they even reach 1K, I will be shocked......probably a few hundred more than the 1 hundred Butler brought in '19. St. Thomas would have been a much better game and would have drawn 50K+ IMO.

But, overall, at least these type of games are being scheduled because FBS games are so hard to get.

Cupcake games are still fun....xlolxxnodx

EdubAlum
July 30th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Looking forward to this game. The Butler game in '19 at Target Field was awesome and so will this one.

My only complaint is the opponent. EWU will not bring many fans to this game. If they even reach 1K, I will be shocked......probably a few hundred more than the 1 hundred Butler brought in '19. St. Thomas would have been a much better game and would have drawn 50K+ IMO.

But, overall, at least these type of games are being scheduled because FBS games are so hard to get.

I think eastern fans will bring a few thousand. Tons of EWU fans are going to the UNLV game in a few weeks. Sure it’s Vegas, but Minneapolis is a cool town too and most fans will have access to direct flights from their home towns….its easier to justify a cheaper cost / direct flight AND still technically in summer.

VandalBasher
July 30th, 2021, 11:34 AM

This game is genius. Strong marketing concept.

As for how many EWU fans come, the game should be marketed as an FCS Fan's Game. Get anyone with interest in what the playoffs could look like to attend.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 30th, 2021, 05:37 PM
I think eastern fans will bring a few thousand. Tons of EWU fans are going to the UNLV game in a few weeks. Sure it’s Vegas, but Minneapolis is a cool town too and most fans will have access to direct flights from their home towns….its easier to justify a cheaper cost / direct flight AND still technically in summer.

If this happens, I will be surprised and eat crow. I just don't think they will travel well to this game. If 500 are there, IMHO, I will be surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

This game is genius. Strong marketing concept.

As for how many EWU fans come, the game should be marketed as an FCS Fan's Game. Get anyone with interest in what the playoffs could look like to attend.

Vegas is a destination that is being talked about also.

Gil Dobie
August 3rd, 2021, 10:35 AM
https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/230606233_4138607272893313_4201646001202867814_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=sc6Yc28GwHMAX-WK926&_nc_oc=AQkfWqlhZ5wDUhHs43jfIOlqpjVHDNygZ-HVNNJXXPsjm6AvPUYHnh9_LABLnTqJ42u-a0UntbqePT0FDoNNoIHa&_nc_ht=scontent.ffcm1-2.fna&oh=789536541e9a69cfbc8c7325808e07d6&oe=612E2A2F