PDA

View Full Version : AP: Southern Loses Nine

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Nine Southern players are gone. Several starters. Not sure why the AP picked up on this considering there's always numerous players coming and going -- whether FCS, FBS, Div II or what not...it's not like any of these guys did something bad...
-------------------
Nine Southern University players off team
Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, LA. — Nine Southern University football players — including several starters — will not be with the program this fall, coach Pete Richardson said.

Linebacker D.J. Brooks, defensive tackle Isaiah Thomas, offensive guard Adrian Banks, defensive end Jimmy Hollins and tight end Joshua Nixon are academically ineligible, Richardson said on Monday.

In addition, defensive tackle Alston Smith, a transfer from Temple, and defensive end Jowelle Bullock have left the program to go elsewhere, though Richardson said he was unsure where.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4956174.html

ucdtim17
July 10th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Well as everyone here loves to remind everyone - this is Division I football. Players can expect that if they flunk out, it will be news

aust42
July 10th, 2007, 10:16 PM
"Nine Southern players are gone. Several starters. Not sure why the AP picked up on this considering there's always numerous players coming and going -- whether FCS, FBS, Div II or what not...it's not like any of these guys did something bad..."

The AP picked up on this because a college program losing 9 players, 7 due to being academically ineligible is big news. Southern University should be embarrassed for recruiting complete idiots or not helping them succeed academically. Those kids didn't do anything "bad" except not applying themselves in their studies.

JohnStOnge
July 11th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Southern University should be embarrassed for recruiting complete idiots or not helping them succeed academically. Those kids didn't do anything "bad" except not applying themselves in their studies.

That may be a little harsh. It could be that, if we were to look into it further and could get the info, many or most of the guys involved came from disadvantaged backgrounds. In fact that's what I'd expect. I'm sure Southern tried to help them succeed. If nothing else, I'm sure the staff wanted them...or at least the starters for sure...to stay eligible.

813Jag
July 11th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I don't know the specifics but one of those players was a transfer and he could make the grades to play. There was an article in the Advocate yesterday about this. 4 of the 9 were starters, mainly it hurts the depth of the D-Line. If you don't make the grades you don't play. There are a few players earning another year during summer school. Since the grade scandal Southern is tightening up on everyone. Might as well weed out the ones who don't do right during the summer.

Jag4Life
July 11th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I don't know the specifics but one of those players was a transfer and he could make the grades to play. There was an article in the Advocate yesterday about this. 4 of the 9 were starters, mainly it hurts the depth of the D-Line. If you don't make the grades you don't play. There are a few players earning another year during summer school. Since the grade scandal Southern is tightening up on everyone. Might as well weed out the ones who don't do right during the summer.

Well the ones who made the grades this year can move up on the depth chart. I know it's hurting the university and you all right. We should be careful in who we recruit.

already123
July 11th, 2007, 04:00 PM
sucks

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Only 2 of them are starters, Banks OL and Thomas DL. Thomas was going to lose his position in fall camp. A couple of the players didn't flunk out, they just didn't graduate to recieve their extra year back since they were props.