PDA

View Full Version : who is playing a GOOD I-A team

grizzpaw
August 21st, 2005, 10:03 PM
just would like to know which I-aa teams are playing top rank teams in the 1-a this year?

Cocky
August 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM
We are playing UAB which got a few votes in the preseason poll. I would not call them a top I-A team but a solid one.

charliej
August 21st, 2005, 10:15 PM
Maine heads to Nebraska.Thats probably the toughest IA for the A10 this year

citdog
August 21st, 2005, 10:16 PM
The Citadel plays at Florida State and at Ole Miss.

BCisforBobcatTX
August 21st, 2005, 10:20 PM
Texas State @ Texas A&M, I figured it would be the toughest team that played a I-AA team, but I didn't know The Citadel had to go to FSU.

By the way, citdog, when you're talking about The Citadel do you capitalize the t in the?

DaGriz
August 21st, 2005, 10:26 PM
Sac. St. plays at Cal. Portland State plays Boise State AND Oregon St.

beerkat
August 21st, 2005, 10:30 PM
Sam Houston State plays at Texas Tech

citdog
August 21st, 2005, 10:36 PM
Texas State @ Texas A&M, I figured it would be the toughest team that played a I-AA team, but I didn't know The Citadel had to go to FSU.

By the way, citdog, when you're talking about The Citadel do you capitalize the t in the?

The official name of my alma mater is..... The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina

TheValleyRaider
August 21st, 2005, 10:47 PM
Nov. 5th, App State visits LSU. Probably the toughest I-A team on anyone's schedule this year, plus it's in November after they've most likely begun to gel as a team.

Henny
August 21st, 2005, 10:50 PM
first of all best of luck to The Citadel. They will play any one any time. I remember two years ago they played MD. the week before they played the Hens and have a long history of playing 1-a teams and winning some.

I encourage 1-AA fans to keep an eye on the Maine - Nebraska game. Maine is coached to play on pure emotion and with and experienced QB It Could make things interesting in Lincoln.

WCU LawCat
August 21st, 2005, 11:00 PM
...ouch, any time now Ralph...shouldn't take long...just be gentle he is new.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2005, 11:35 PM
Northern Iowa vs. Iowa ranks up there with App St-LSU and The Citadel -FSU. I saw one publication is picking Iowa to play USC in the Rose Bowl. The Big Ten is loaded though this year so i dunno. If nothing else, Iowa has been a consistent top 10 team the last 3 years and this probably there best team. I do believe App States venture down to Baton Rouge is the going to be ugly. I don't know if it's a night game, but if it is LSU perhaps has the most intimidating stadiums in 1-A.

Chi Panther
August 21st, 2005, 11:52 PM
Don't forget that WKU is at Auburn.....

The UNI at Iowa game is very intimidating this year.....

Illinois State is at Iowa State....and Iowa State is quite talented this year...

SochorField
August 22nd, 2005, 12:59 AM
UC Davis plays at Stanford Sept 17. This is actually a pretty good match up (i'm biased, of course). Stanford could be considered a "good" IA team...with their new coach and outlook, although they are down in the rankings.

TheGateway
August 22nd, 2005, 01:25 AM
Texas Tech

DuckDuckGriz
August 22nd, 2005, 01:26 AM
Idaho @ Washington State :D

Catmendue2
August 22nd, 2005, 07:47 AM

Grambling @ WASSOU, but Grambling is loaded, beat em up Duck and we will finish them off. :D

Saint3333
August 22nd, 2005, 07:50 AM
Yes ASU vs. LSU Nov. 5th after LSU's bye week will be the biggest mismatch on anyone's schedule this year. I just hope the game doesn't affect the games vs. Elon and WCU the two weeks following the contest.

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2005, 09:20 AM
Nov. 5th, App State visits LSU. Probably the toughest I-A team on anyone's schedule this year, plus it's in November after they've most likely begun to gel as a team.

:nod:

Green Cookie Monster
August 22nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
Yes, Sac State visits Bezerkly the first week of Sept. The Bears lost many quality players, but they will reload. Should be a fun game for N. California.

blackfordpu
August 22nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Sam Houston @ Texas Tech should easily be considered for the hardest I-AA vs. I-A team. Tech blew out #4 Cal in their bowl game last year and are a consistant I-A threat to any team they play.

They are ranked #21 in the preseason polls.

GOKATS
August 22nd, 2005, 11:00 AM

They're both 1-A. ;)

Saint3333
August 22nd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Blackford that will be a tough game, but ASU @ LSU in November no less is the toughest game. LSU is #5 and 6 depending which poll you look at.

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Sam Houston @ Texas Tech should easily be considered for the hardest I-AA vs. I-A team. Tech blew out #4 Cal in their bowl game last year and are a consistant I-A threat to any team they play.

LSU would crush TT this year!

kats89
August 22nd, 2005, 12:10 PM

So what they beat Cal! Cal didn't want to be there because they thought they got snubbed in the BCS. Tx Tech squeaked by SMU last year and we all know the condition of the SMU football program.
Anyone going into Death Valley to play LSU has a tough hill to climb. Tx Tech may put up some points on us, but don't think for one minute they will not realize who they have played when we leave. Same goes for Tx State vs Texas A&M, A&M thinks it will be a pushover, but I venture to guess it will be a good ballgame for at least a half. When Sam Houston played A&M in 2000, we hung with them the first half until Slocum ripped them a new one and then turned Jamaar Tombs loose on us. It was all over then.

What I get sick of is these I-A programs having the mindset that I-AA programs don't have the talent to compete against I-A programs. Univ of Houston fans have been beating that drum a lot already, but they will be very surprised when we hang an L on them Sept 10th. :nod:to actually find out how much talent I-AA programs have. Overall, I think the Southland conference will fair very well against I-A competition this year.

Black and Gold Express
August 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM

I'd put our OOC of LSU, Kansas, CCU and EKU up against anyone's as the toughest OOC overall.

Kansas has the top-ranked defense in the Big XII, and are a team on the rise.

LSU would blow the doors off of a I-AA all-star team, forget any one regular team. Having us as their Homecoming game will negate the look-ahead factor, and if they are pushing towards a BCS bid, they may need to run it up on us to make that "statement". That game is going to be flat out ugly, and my only hope is that it's not a body-bag game for us.

kats89
August 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
I'd put our OOC of LSU, Kansas, CCU and EKU up against anyone's as the toughest OOC overall.

LSU would blow the doors off of a I-AA all-star team, forget any one regular team. Having us as their Homecoming game will negate the look-ahead factor, and if they are pushing towards a BCS bid, they may need to run it up on us to make that "statement". That game is going to be flat out ugly, and my only hope is that it's not a body-bag game for us.
Unfortunatley I feel the same way about Texas Tech game. Our kids will compete, but I am afraid that the "air raid" attack they have will wear us down. Now, I know SE La is not a Tx Tech, but Mumme ran the same style of offense last year at SE La and we limited them to 14 points in that game. We will see what happens at Jones SBC stadium.

colonelblitz
August 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
We play NC state..

DuckDuckGriz
August 22nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
They're both 1-A. ;)

:bang: :D

Tailbone
August 22nd, 2005, 04:02 PM
They're both 1-A. ;)

I thought about doing this....complete, with the wink.
But it's such a ridiculous statement that I coudn't bring myself to do it! :D

SoCon48
August 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM

They certainly are the best team any I-AA faces this year.
It certainly likely will be bad and ugly, but I'll bet a few bucks that it will be within a TD or so of their margin vs some I-A team on their schedule this year.
Like you, I just hope we come home with everyone healthy.
I'm afraid they'll push both our lines around all day long.

Retro
August 22nd, 2005, 05:02 PM
Actually, I think LSU is overrated this year.. ...I don't see them as a Top ten team, maybe not Top 20!

They still have questions at QB consistency and their defense will be weaker this season. Their depth at RB was hurt by the loss of Ally Broussard, although not too much and they have a new Coach with new system to break in... How well their defense stops North Texas's Jamario Thomas will tell a lot.

If App State were playing them earlier, they might could give them a decent game, but that late in the year will be tougher.. All that being said, LSU is not a national title contender or a top ten team this season. Bama will win the west!

JALMOND
August 22nd, 2005, 10:58 PM
We do play Oregon State in Corvallis. They are slated to be mid-level Pac-10 this year.

Also play Boise in Boise. Some talk that they might be the Utah this year. Far cry from when they were in the Big Sky.

Tough road games but still better than playing Western Washington and Eastern Oregon at home. Noticed that all Big Sky teams play at least one Division 1 team this year. I don't think most conferences can say that.

WCU LawCat
August 22nd, 2005, 11:13 PM
I can't believe Ralph has not joined in to scold a number of posters in this thread. :asswhip:

Toppermaniac
August 22nd, 2005, 11:15 PM
The WKU Hilltoppers play two 1-A teams this year. One very good (Auburn) and one very bad (Fla. Int.), both on the road.

Down with the Foe!
August 22nd, 2005, 11:18 PM
Noticed that all Big Sky teams play at least one Division 1 team this year. I don't think most conferences can say that.

ya got that right. I hope the selection fraternity remembers that when they decide to allow a team from the BSC into their little tourney

a 8-3 record vs a team from out east with only one or two losses but plenty of sugar puffs on the record book deserves a spot in the dance...and this year we may deserve 3 or 4 teams in their gig. (but I know that will never happend)

:nonono2: :bawling: :nonono2: :bawling:

xidiotx

SoCon48
August 23rd, 2005, 07:00 AM
Actually, I think LSU is overrated this year.. ...I don't see them as a Top ten team, maybe not Top 20!

They still have questions at QB consistency and their defense will be weaker this season. Their depth at RB was hurt by the loss of Ally Broussard, although not too much and they have a new Coach with new system to break in... How well their defense stops North Texas's Jamario Thomas will tell a lot.

If App State were playing them earlier, they might could give them a decent game, but that late in the year will be tougher.. All that being said, LSU is not a national title contender or a top ten team this season. Bama will win the west!

Over rated? If that's true, then they are being very consistently over rated by tons of rankings.