PDA

View Full Version : NDSU 2007 Football Commercial

TheBisonator
July 10th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. Our production values are increasing in quality.

http://www.gobison.com/mediaPlayer/video.dbml?ATCLID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=2400&CLIP_ID=67183&CLIP_FILE_ID=72133&CONTENT_TYPE=ONDEMAND

CAN'T WAIT FOR FOOTBALL SEASON!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

douglasdmb
July 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Wow...If only MO State marketed their athletics like that...or at all.

Cool commercial. xhurrayx

ElonPride
July 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM
No offense, but the spot isn't all that. I'm a commercial producer and I could've done a better job with a 1/2 hour edit, and probably could've saved your school a little money.....

FlyYtown
July 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Nice. YSU doesn't have the $$$ to advertise like so many FCS Schools. The local media does a good enough job every darn day of the fall that we don't need any commercials on TV, we have a front page column in 2 papers, and on 3-5 news stations!

furman94
July 10th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Wish Furman could have stuff like that xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xmadx

NDSUFREAK
July 10th, 2007, 08:15 PM
xhurrayx VERY GOOD!!!!!!

Proud Griz Man
July 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Looks nice Bison! xnodx Any other schools have professionally-produced bits like this? I saw the Griz videos.

Stang Fever
July 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Wish CAL POLY could throw something like that together...I feel every school could do something like that...THere are enough college kids there (untapped resources) that could do something like that for free

patssle
July 10th, 2007, 08:32 PM
No offense, but the spot isn't all that. I'm a commercial producer and I could've done a better job with a 1/2 hour edit, and probably could've saved your school a little money.....

No offense, but I think your wrong. I'm also a video producer. Is it an incredible commercial? No. Is it good? Yes. Some things could be better, some of the composistion is off. But the key is...its different and it does what its suppose to do.

And frankly, you can't do a quality commercial with graphics in a 1/2 hour. So whats the point of ripping their commercial which is better than many FBS schools.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Not to mention all the of the shots were stock footage or CGI.

They literally didn't have to shoot a single live frame.

Couldn't have cost much.

ElonPride
July 10th, 2007, 08:42 PM
No offense, but I think your wrong. I'm also a video producer. Is it an incredible commercial? No. Is it good? Yes. Some things could be better, some of the composistion is off. But the key is...its different and it does what its suppose to do.

And frankly, you can't do a quality commercial with graphics in a 1/2 hour. So whats the point of ripping their commercial which is better than many FBS schools.

Sorry for my opinion!!! I just think the writing is poor, text is cliche and edits/framing are poor. But what do I know, I've only won 3 national awards, 2 regional and 1 company award in the last 2 months.....xrotatehx

Tailbone
July 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM

How about an unbiased evaluation of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU7IU2uyDvA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxmzgAFKgDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbPw98rdbfU

Sorry Bisonator, not attempting a hijack - this just seemed an appropriate place to ask the question....

BTW: I'm having probs with media player so I couldn't view your ad.
I'll fix MP and look later.

ElonPride
July 10th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Those are pretty darn good! Cantered angles, wide angle lens, low angle power position shots, steady cam, mixed handhelds, edits to the tune......VERY well done! Can I come play football for ya :)

Same theme through all 3, the branding is great, the use of natsound was near spot on, and the text/logo was where it needed to be.

If I would've seen those spots on TV, I would turn to my fiance and say "that's a great spot." BTW, she DID watch them and really liked it.......If those were produced by students, they have a VERY bright future ahead!

It's hard to tell from looking at a youtube clip, but how much of that was shot on film?

Oh, and I really dug the music.....pardon my ignorance, but was that an orginial score for these spots?

Tailbone
July 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Those are pretty darn good! Cantered angles, wide angle lens, low angle power position shots, steady cam......VERY well done! Can I come play football for ya :)

Same theme through all 3, the branding is great, the use of natsound was near spot on, and the text/logo was where it needed to be.

If I would've seen those spots on TV, I would turn to my fiance and say "that's a great spot." BTW, she DID watch them and really liked it.......If those were produced by students, they have a VERY bright future ahead!

It's hard to tell from looking at a youtube clip, but how much of that was shot on film?

I think all 3 were done by a local production company, but I could be wrong. I think all were filmed.

Any more knowledgable Griz fan have the answers?

BTW: thanks for your opinion....and the compliments.

patssle
July 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Sorry for my opinion!!! I just think the writing is poor, text is cliche and edits/framing are poor. But what do I know, I've only won 3 national awards, 2 regional and 1 company award in the last 2 months.....xrotatehx

There's nothing wrong for saying your opinion, but there's no need to rip it apart when its not the worst video on the block. For all you know could of been a college kid that did it, and I'd say the kid did a pretty damn good job for a college kid.

And I too have won several national and regional awards....but they don't really mean much in terms of the capabilities of a person. Any idiot (not refering to you-just in general) can win an award if they know where to submit, espesially if they arn't the only person working on a project. The only reason I submitted to competitions was for the resume, people ooh and ahh over that, so whatever fancies them! xnodx

Per the production company that worked on the Griz stuff, they come from a professional background, with one I believe working in the motion picture industry, so they definetly have experience.

Tailbone
July 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM

I can't view Windows media files right now so I don't know if this any better, or more revealing....From the UM website....

http://admissions.umt.edu/

Click on "UM Video Gallery".

re: playing for the Griz....probably not....but you can be a fan!

MplsBison
July 10th, 2007, 09:38 PM
The Griz videos look great.

You get what you pay for.

Take another look at NDSU's video. For the price of it, which was probably next to nothing, that's pretty good.

ElonPride
July 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM
There's nothing wrong for saying your opinion, but there's no need to rip it apart when its not the worst video on the block. For all you know could of been a college kid that did it, and I'd say the kid did a pretty damn good job for a college kid.

And I too have won several national and regional awards....but they don't really mean much in terms of the capabilities of a person. Any idiot (not refering to you-just in general) can win an award if they know where to submit, espesially if they arn't the only person working on a project. The only reason I submitted to competitions was for the resume, people ooh and ahh over that, so whatever fancies them! xnodx

Per the production company that worked on the Griz stuff, they come from a professional background, with one I believe working in the motion picture industry, so they definetly have experience.

Sorry, but I just don't believe patting folks on the back for a "good job." If they just want to do a "good job" then let's keeping telling them, "hey your work is good." Sorry, but as you probably know, in commecial production, THESE DAYS, there's not much room for something that's "just good" if you want to make it in the biz.

Yes, most awards are just to pad the resume......

I just don't think this particular commercial is "good." True I have seen worse out of clients using jingles.......but this spot really isn't "good." If it's a student project, then keep working, sharpen that skillset and don't quit writing.

patssle
July 10th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Sorry, but as you probably know, in commecial production, THESE DAYS, there's not much room for something that's "just good" if you want to make it in the biz.

They are making it....on Craigslist xlolx xlolx

Do you have any links to your work?

ElonPride
July 10th, 2007, 09:55 PM
They are making it....on Craigslist xlolx xlolx

Do you have any links to your work?

I just made some GOOD money for my wedding from a craiglist job.....little did they know I half a$$ed it xsmiley_wix

But now we're TOTALLY off topic.....sorry guys and gals!!!!!!!!

TheBisonator
July 10th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Comment for ElonPride: OK, how about we see Elon's commercial for 2007. Does Elon football even have a TV commercial, let alone any marketing?? I would bet NDSU takes Elon out to the woodshed when it comes to marketing.

And just for the record, I have seen many commercials for FBS teams. I've seen commercials for Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa State, Indiana, Minnesota, etc. And the quality of NDSU's is right up there.

bisonguy
July 10th, 2007, 10:08 PM
ROFLMAO- if this thread isn't going the way of the "How many message board posters does it take to change a light bulb?" classic, I don't know what is....

Answer: 1,196

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed;

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently;

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs;

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs;

53 to flame the spell checkers;

41 to correct spelling/grammar of the flames;

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb";

another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive;

156 to write to the site administrator about the light bulb discussion and its inappropriateness to this board;

109 to post that this board is not about light bulbs and to please take this thread to the litebulb board;

203 to demand that cross posting to grammar-l, spelling-l and illuminati-l about changing light bulbs be stopped;

111 to defend the posting to this board saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this board;

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty;

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs;

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and the post the corrected URL's;

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this board which makes light bulbs relevant to this board;

33 to link all posts to date, then quote them including all headers and footers and then add "Me too";

12 to post to the board that they are logging off because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy;

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three";

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ;

44 to ask what is "FAQ"

ElonPride
July 10th, 2007, 10:08 PM
And just for the record, I have seen many commercials for FBS teams. I've seen commercials for Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa State, Indiana, Minnesota, etc. And the quality of NDSU's is right up there.

That's fine and all, but does it make the spot good?

I'm not bragging about Elon spots either.......here's a link for our spring sports commercial. Horrid? Yup!

http://www.elonphoenix.com/e-web/athletics/video/springcomm.xhtml

Sorry man, I'm not taking a direct shot at you! If it's your own work, then take the criticism, cuz you'll be dealin' with it later on as we all do!

No_Skill
July 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM
My first impression of the NDSU spot was ho-hum. It didn't put chills down my spine, but it gets the point across and it gets me ready for football season.

I saw the Griz spots last year and they are great. Any program would be proud to have them, but I bet they cost a pretty penny.

In terms of value the NDSU spot is perfectly acceptable. That's not to say that I don't want more spectacular "big budget" spots in the future. Our program just isn't to that point yet.

patssle
July 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM
In terms of value the NDSU spot is perfectly acceptable. That's not to say that I don't want more spectacular "big budget" spots in the future. Our program just isn't to that point yet.

That's a good point. The Griz are paying dearly for their commercial, it probably cost a ton. One could argue at our level, that money is better spent elsewhere, but sometimes its worth it. Many FCS schools just really can't afford what it takes to do a high quality production.

LarryBoy
July 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Wish Furman could have stuff like that xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xmadx

Tell someone in the AD to give me a call. I'll whip up something like that in no time...if they promise to cut tuition....

WyomingGrizFan
July 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Had too many technical problems to even bother with watching it. Freezing etc. Too much talk & no action.

Mountain Panther
July 10th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. Our production values are increasing in quality.

http://www.gobison.com/mediaPlayer/video.dbml?ATCLID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=2400&CLIP_ID=67183&CLIP_FILE_ID=72133&CONTENT_TYPE=ONDEMAND

CAN'T WAIT FOR FOOTBALL SEASON!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I think I saw DaveK in the crowd shots.

NDSUFREAK
July 10th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I think I saw DaveK in the crowd shots.

yeah, he likes to sneak in to see what college football is supposed to be like.:D xpeacex

DaveK
July 11th, 2007, 12:09 AM
yeah, he likes to sneak in to see what college football is supposed to be like.:D xpeacex

On the contrary, I have to drive an hour north to see quality college football since we don't have any in the city I reside in. :p

douglasdmb
July 11th, 2007, 12:10 AM

xrolleyesx

Sure, from a technical standpoint (I don't know anything about producing these things), it might not be great. But it gets the job done. The average Joe sportsfan in the Dakotas sees it and may actually get excited about going to see a game at the FargoDome. It sure got me wanting to go to a Bison game.

AZBison
July 11th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I'm just waiting for the UND "We are there" or "Been there, done that" ad campaign to come out. Don't forget, "green screams louder"

Bison77
July 11th, 2007, 07:37 AM
On the contrary, I have to drive an hour north to see quality college football since we don't have any in the city I reside in. :p

Why don't you just move then? xnodx

andy7171
July 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Very nice! I wish Towson would do something like that here in Baltimore. I was hoping for a shot of mplsbison kissing the turf. :D xsmiley_wix xwhistlex

espete
July 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Here's SDSU's season ticket promo.

http://www.gojacks.com/video64/EHKMMELDCPERLOJ.20070525203002.wmv

patssle
July 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM

xeekx xeekx

NDSUFREAK
July 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM

XDSUs TEAMING UP AGAIN EVEN FOR GREAT COMMERCIALS!!!!!! 1:40!!!?????xeekxxbowx

NDSUFREAK
July 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM

i know you'll stop what you're doing when you see the commercial come on the tv! xthumbsupx

MplsBison
July 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Nice music, is this a commercial for season tickets or for when Jesus descends the mountain to fight Satan?

Also, what the hell is 1:10-1:12?!? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Pretty pathetic that you'd use footage of the 2004 season! I guess since that's the last time that you barely managed to beat NDSU you had to throw it in there. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

RabidRabbit
July 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM

:) :) Sends shivers up my spine. xthumbsupx

Only downside was it's for all 3 main sports. Even after a VERY successful '06 FOOTBALL season, it was only the 2nd most successful of the 3 (FB, MBB, WBB) sports.

WBB brought home two WNIT games, and ultimately, the SUMMIT LEAGUE tourneys (MEN & WOMENS) for 2009 & 2010.

Look forward to Jacks getting to FOOTBALL Play-offs out of the GATEWAY! xcoolx

DaveK
July 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Why don't you just move then? xnodx

I like living in Fargo. I like Grand Forks too, but my kids are established in hockey here in Fargo and have lots of friends. That isn't even an option, and I'm shocked that you would ask such a question outside of the smack board.

gophoenix
July 12th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Comment for ElonPride: OK, how about we see Elon's commercial for 2007. Does Elon football even have a TV commercial, let alone any marketing??

Yes we do have a commercial for 2007 (and every previous year). Yes I have seen it on TV. I could care less if it is great or not. I reminds me of the same type of commercials run for A&T and Wake Forest here. So yes, Elon has marketing and they are paid well. We also have a sports show on regionally, just like most of the other D-I schools in the region.

I would bet NDSU takes Elon out to the woodshed when it comes to marketing.

This is about your commercial, not Elon's. No one posted the Elon commercial here saying it was great. But this one sentence I quoted makes me laugh. You're going to smack about your marketing being better than another school. That is what the smack has come down to now? Now this line just makes me laugh. "Our marketing is better than yours." It really makes me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

No one posted anything about the Elon commercial or talking about how great it is..... Your commercial is ok. Big deal. You like it, others don't. Who cares. It is as good or bad as any other college "please come to our games" type of commercial I see for most schools.

Personally, I could care less about either commercial. I'd rather go 11-0 with 2 fans in the stadium and no commercial.

BisonBacker
July 12th, 2007, 07:20 AM
When I watched it I didn't think it was all that great. Yeah I like any advertising the school does and yes I'm pumped about the football season coming up but the commercial was neither great or terrible. Now our Intro video for the football games that's great.

spelunker64
July 12th, 2007, 08:11 AM
How did we get the Movie Trailer Guy from the Gieco commericals...

patssle
July 12th, 2007, 09:48 AM
How did we get the Movie Trailer Guy from the Gieco commericals...

Don LaFontaine....you pay out of the ass for his services.

IowaBisonToo
July 12th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Keep the smack to the smack board, Dave.xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox You know where that's at, don't you?

DaveK
July 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Keep the smack to the smack board, Dave.xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox You know where that's at, don't you?

Tell that to NDSUFREAK, the person who made the comment that my comment was in response to.

NDSUFREAK
July 12th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Notice the peace sign after I said it to. I would've have done that if I wrote my response in the smack thread

DaveK
July 13th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Notice the peace sign after I said it to. I would've have done that if I wrote my response in the smack thread

And you think that makes it okay? xconfusedx xlolx xsmhx xrotatehx xeekx