PDA

View Full Version : Presby to play App. State in '08

PCbluehose
July 10th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Let the slaughter talk begin...

A quote from Bobby Bentley's Blog...

"We finalized a deal today with Appalachian State today for the 2008 season. If we are going to be good we need to go after the best. I look forward to the challenge and we will need to work hard to get close to their level

asu3peat
July 10th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Congrats to PC for scheduling this game! The coach is correct in his evaluation of 'playing better competition only makes you better.' This will help to alleviate some of the scheduling woes that ASU seem to have faced this past season. We will also will be playing at JMU in '08, so that's two less games our AD has to worry about.

BeauFoster
July 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Won't we also get Samford in '08? That means that 10 games are on the tentative schedule.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 10th, 2007, 09:03 AM
What a difference a year makes, eh? xnodx xsmiley_wix

I'm sure most of you are happy to see this on the schedule. I would be. I know I like a mix of tough OOC games with some easier ones. JMU this year has OOC games with North Carolina, Coastal Carolina and VMI. Hard (even for a bad I-A team), Medium and not so medium :D . I think most teams do the best when they have an AD who can schedule such an OOC mix.

I believe next year will be at Duke, App St., at VMI, and home vs. Liberty. It is so nice to have these things scheduled in advance! I hope this is the beginning for the same for App St. xthumbsupx

RabidRabbit
July 10th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Presby!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

These kind of OOC's are good intro, and the way the successful transitioning teams use to establish themselves in FCS.

UCA, SDSU, NDSU, have used, and set these kind of tough schedules, and what I'm reading indicates that UND & USD are setting up similarly.

Good Luck Hosers xnodx xnodx

SuperJon
July 10th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Presby's not backing down from anybody, in any sport. Their baseball schedule for next year is pretty tough.

GoldandBlack
July 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
PC was tough when we competed with them in the NAIA, and they'll become a tough opponent in the FCS before it's over with.

The first couple of years should be an eye-opener for them, but overlooking them on a schedule probably won't be a great idea.

Yosef84
July 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM
It's good to see App lining up these games ahead of time. I hope we never have another year like this past one (setting the 2007 schedule).

Sorry to show my ignorance, but will PC be FCS in 2008? When are they officially moving up?

CSUBUCDAD
July 10th, 2007, 12:08 PM
2007 is a transitional year and they earn full membership for the 2008 season.

PCbluehose
July 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM
July 1: we became no longer a part of DII

This year: Transition Year

Next Year: Member of BSC (Not eligible for post season)

2009-2010: Full Members for Softball and M. Tennis

2011-2012: Full Members for rest of sports

Here is the news story on it.

http://www.presby.edu/bluehose/Athletic_Dept/DI.html

zilla
July 10th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I'm glad to see that PC isn't backing down. I fully believe that the Hose will be one of the better teams in the Big South in a couple of years. One way of doing that is to schedule teams like Appalachian State outside the conference.

On a side note, I also see the PC-Coastal series, which starts this year, developing into a big rivalry down the road.

Col Hogan
July 10th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I agree with most folks here...CONGRATS to Presby for scheduling this game...

It's the only way for a program to improve...if you wanna sit with the Big Dogs...you gotta play with the big dogs...

T-Dog
July 10th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Any word whether it's home or away or if it's a one and one?

And no offense, but where is Presby? I imagine it's somewhere in SC.

GoldandBlack
July 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Any word whether it's home or away or if it's a one and one?

And no offense, but where is Presby? I imagine it's somewhere in SC.

Clinton, SC.

You can go pull out your map now......xnodx

mrfeem
July 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
xthumbsupx I HOPE WE CAN GET THEM ON THE ROAD IN CLINTON SC.
THAT IS RIGHT IN MY BACK DOOR.:)

T-Dog
July 10th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I'm on dial up, plus I figured someone would answer me before I found it.

terrierbob
July 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Why does it take so long to be eligible for full status/playoffs?

GoldandBlack
July 10th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Welcome, mrfeem!

It does appear that Simpsonville is, indeed, big enough to hold a Wofford fan and an App State fan.

We must be a metropolitan area now!xsmiley_wix

GoldandBlack
July 10th, 2007, 02:21 PM

I presume it has something to do with the explanation below relating to participation in the Div. 1 basketball tournament, translated to football.
That, and giving the new school the opportunity to recruit and deal with the higher level of scholarships allowed.

An increasing number of Division II schools are under pressure from administrators, boosters, and other interested parties either to "step up" to Division I or down to Division III; as a result, the NCAA has adopted rules which tend to make it harder for new institutions to join Division I, such as minimum attendance requirements for football and a long waiting period (now eight years) before a new Division I institution can participate in the NCAA Division I Men's Tournament ("March Madness") or share in its considerable revenues.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/NCAA_Division_II

Saint3333
July 10th, 2007, 04:02 PM

I don't, we draw 23K+, I doubt they draw 1/4 that. Traveling to a transitional team not named XDSU would not be well received by the ASU fanbase. ASU going to PC would be like Florida traveling to WKU in 2008.

james_lawfirm
July 10th, 2007, 04:08 PM
OK, I know that PC is in SC. Somewhere.

But what the heck is a Blue Hose? There's got to be a good explanation. I can't wait to hear it.

And, by the way, congrats on scheduling ASU. xthumbsupx

OL FU
July 10th, 2007, 04:19 PM
OK, I know that PC is in SC. Somewhere.

But what the heck is a Blue Hose? There's got to be a good explanation. I can't wait to hear it.

And, by the way, congrats on scheduling ASU. xthumbsupx

One of thesexeyebrowx
http://www.autoess.com/images/R134low.JPG

OL FU
July 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM
http://www.alexis4u.com/images/Hanes%20images/Hanes_415_Navy_blue_RHT_Stockings_Dscn0023_425.jpg

RabidRabbit
July 10th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I don't, we draw 23K+, I doubt they draw 1/4 that. Traveling to a transitional team not named XDSU would not be well received by the ASU fanbase. ASU going to PC would be like Florida traveling to WKU in 2008.

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx We've appreciated your SoCon brethren's visits to the Dakota's and trips to Statesboro. Hope to see Furman/App St. join for some fabulous reg season match ups.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

catamount man
July 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
We host PC this year and make the trip to Clinton in 2008.xthumbsupx

AppMan
July 10th, 2007, 06:24 PM

You are kidding aren't you? See tag line below...

Go...gate
July 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Doesn't Presbyterian have a longstanding rivalry with Wofford?

james_lawfirm
July 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
One of thesexeyebrowx
http://www.autoess.com/images/R134low.JPG

If PC is moving up to Div. 1 football, I respectfully suggest they buy a consonant and become the blue horse or something. Else, I make no promises or apologies about the various cheers and signs from the student section at The Rock come game day. For that matter, even cane-wielding alumni might have a go at various puns concerning the PC mascot. Putting myself in a PC student's shoes, I might take offense at being called a "hose-head" - but there's no need - THIS IS TOO EASY. What were they thinking of when they came up with that name?

Sort of reminds me of wondering what the Paladin powers-that-be were thinking when they decided on their original mascot. xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

lc83
July 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Sort of reminds me of wondering what the Paladin powers-that-be were thinking when they decided on their original mascot. xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx[/QUOTE]

What was their original mascot?

james_lawfirm
July 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Sort of reminds me of wondering what the Paladin powers-that-be were thinking when they decided on their original mascot. xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

What was their original mascot?[/QUOTE]

I hoped against hope that someone would ask me that! Believe it or not, they used to be ... and I am not making this up - honest ... the ...

Furman University Christian Knights !!! xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

You may ask OL FU hisself if any verification is needed. I am sure he can corroborate the above. One can only wonder about the various cheers fielded by opposing teams prior to changing their mascot. Actually, there's no need to wonder, I think I can come pretty close.

Mr. C
July 10th, 2007, 08:44 PM

The main reason has nothing to do with basketball, but rather concerns compliance issues. It takes that long for schools to fully be able to comply to all of the Division I requirements. There are differences in what is required to sign a scholarship with an NCAA Division II school and a Division I school. It is tougher to get into a Division I program than a Division II program. The Division I folks do not want to have to compete in championship play against schools that players who would not have been eligible to play at Division I when they joined their Division II schools.

WUTNDITWAA
July 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
This does about as much for me as seeing a naked picture of Rosie O'Donnell. :pumpuke:

AndrewFU21
July 10th, 2007, 10:11 PM

I hoped against hope that someone would ask me that! Believe it or not, they used to be ... and I am not making this up - honest ... the ...

Furman University Christian Knights !!! xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

You may ask OL FU hisself if any verification is needed. I am sure he can corroborate the above. One can only wonder about the various cheers fielded by opposing teams prior to changing their mascot. Actually, there's no need to wonder, I think I can come pretty close.

Urban legend, albeit a pretty good onexlolx . The Paladin became FU's official mascot in the 60's, and before then each sport sort of went by its own nickname(the football team was the hurricane at one point).

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 06:35 AM

You may ask OL FU hisself if any verification is needed. I am sure he can corroborate the above. One can only wonder about the various cheers fielded by opposing teams prior to changing their mascot. Actually, there's no need to wonder, I think I can come pretty close.[/QUOTE]
Urban legend.xnodx I am not saying it ain't so I just have never seen any verification of it.

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Urban legend, albeit a pretty good onexlolx . The Paladin became FU's official mascot in the 60's, and before then each sport sort of went by its own nickname(the football team was the hurricane at one point).

Purple Hurricanesxnodx xthumbsupx

One of my best friends has the logo and swears one of these days he is going to make a cap for mexthumbsupx

Sir William
July 11th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Back in the 40s-50s, Furman had three different mascots...the Paladin, the Hurricanes and the Hornets. The football team was one of those mascots, the basketball team another, the basball team the third (I'm not sure which for each). Finally, the student body put it to vote for one mascot, and the Paladin won (circa early 50's, I think).

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Back in the 40s-50s, Furman had three different mascots...the Paladin, the Hurricanes and the Hornets. The football team was one of those mascots, the basketball team another, the basball team the third (I'm not sure which for each). Finally, the student body put it to vote for one mascot, and the Paladin won (circa early 50's, I think).

I believe football = hurricanes. Baseball = hornets and basketball was always Paladins.

Not that I remember:o

WUTNDITWAA
July 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I believe football = hurricanes. Baseball = hornets and basketball was always Paladins.

Not that I remember:o

Let me guess. Basketball was the most successful sport during that time frame. Otherwise, "Rock You Like A Hurricane" would be Furman's "2001" or "Rocky Top".

Sir William
July 11th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Let me guess. Basketball was the most successful sport during that time frame. Otherwise, "Rock You Like A Hurricane" would be Furman's "2001" or "Rocky Top".

Interestingly enough, when Furman comes onto the football field at the start of home games, the loud speakers blare "Rock You Like a Hurricane".

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 10:06 AM

And don't know if you were guessing or not, but yep basketball was king.

Only college player to score 100 points in a game - Frank Selvyxthumbsupx

Betcha never heard that beforexlolx

BigApp
July 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM

please tell me you're joking...

BigApp
July 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I'm sure most of you are happy to see this on the schedule. I would be.

I don't mean this the way it appears, but here goes:

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you would be happy with a schedule that now consists of:

Samford
Presbyterian
Elon
Wofford

Saint3333
July 11th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I don't mean this the way it appears, but here goes:

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you would be happy with a schedule that now consists of:

Samford
Presbyterian
Elon
Wofford

ASU's 2008 home schedule:
PC
Elon
Wofford
Furman
Citadel

Is it 1968?

Evolution of ASU scheduling:
New Berry, WCU, LR, Elon, Carson Newman, Wofford, PC, Emory & Henry, Guilford (8-2)
Wofford, Marshall, Richmond, Furman, UTC, LR, Citadel, ETSU, ECU, VMI, WCU (7-4)
Citadel, JMU, G-Webb, South Carolina, VMI, Furman, ETSU, Marshall, WCU, UTC, Wake Forest (6-4-1)
Liberty, ETSU, Citadel, Wake Forest, Furman, GSU, Wofford, UTC, VMI, EKU, WCU (9-2)
FBS school TBD, PC, JMU, Samford, Elon, Wofford, GSU, Furman, UTC, Citadel, WCU (unknown)

It's beginning to come full circle.

Seawolf97
July 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I think PC is going in the right direction. Play as tough a non conference schedule as you can. Just dont go off the deep end like Southern Utah.

terrierbob
July 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM
"It's beginning to come full circle."

Against the NAIA, DivII and FCS Terriers, if I counted correctly, you are 8-5 against us since 1970. Our best "winning streak" was 2 games, '02 and '03. Yours was '97-'01.

Our worst loss was '76, 42-0. Yours was in '70 (we went to the NAIA championship and were blown away by Texas A&I) 37-13.

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM
"It's beginning to come full circle."

Against the NAIA, DivII and FCS Terriers, if I counted correctly, you are 8-5 against us since 1970. Our best "winning streak" was 2 games, '02 and '03. Yours was '97-'01.

Our worst loss was '76, 42-0. Yours was in '70 (we went to the NAIA championship and were blown away by Texas A&I) 37-13.

He wishes he had gone to East Carolinaxnodx

SuperJon
July 11th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Why? So he could have gonorrhea?

AppMan
July 13th, 2007, 07:27 PM
PC
Elon
Wofford
Furman
Citadel

Is it 1968?

New Berry, WCU, LR, Elon, Carson Newman, Wofford, PC, Emory & Henry, Guilford (8-2)
Wofford, Marshall, Richmond, Furman, UTC, LR, Citadel, ETSU, ECU, VMI, WCU (7-4)
Citadel, JMU, G-Webb, South Carolina, VMI, Furman, ETSU, Marshall, WCU, UTC, Wake Forest (6-4-1)
Liberty, ETSU, Citadel, Wake Forest, Furman, GSU, Wofford, UTC, VMI, EKU, WCU (9-2)
FBS school TBD, PC, JMU, Samford, Elon, Wofford, GSU, Furman, UTC, Citadel, WCU (unknown)

Nice research. :>)

appfan2008
July 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM
i think the only good coming out of the presby game is that we wont be wondering who is on our schedule... otherwise not that excited about this one

james_lawfirm
July 14th, 2007, 07:58 AM
i think the only good coming out of the presby game is that we wont be wondering who is on our schedule... otherwise not that excited about this one

Why not? The possibilities for crowd responses to their mascot are limitless. I am still waiting for an explanation for how they came to be known as the "blue hose".

WUTNDITWAA
July 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Why not? The possibilities for crowd responses to their mascot are limitless. I am still waiting for an explanation for how they came to be known as the "blue hose".

I'm sure they've never heard that one before. Maybe it's on a FAQ page.

GoldandBlack
July 14th, 2007, 08:17 AM
This is from Ray Frank’s book “What’s in a Nickname.” “It has been asked many times where Presbyterian College received it’s nickname, Blue Hose. Several rumors exist.

One story has it that the Presbyterian Scotch-Irish wore blue stockings in the Puritan beginnings of our country. Another says that a fierce war-like band of Scotch-Irish named the Hose painted their entire bodies blue before going into battle.

Yet, probably the true story lies in a letter dated June 15, 1935, written by then athletic director Walter Johnson to an inquiring English professor in Virginia...[quoting from Walter Johnson’s letter] ‘It was about the second or third year, 1915, if I remember right, Stockings. I think it happened this way: I changed uniform colors to blue, wearing blue stockings and jerseys, and some sports writer started calling in his articles the Presbyterian College teams the Blue Stockings.’ ...In later years “Stocking” became abbreviated to “the Hose,” particularly in newspaper headlines, and was more or less officially adopted by the student body in the late 50’s.

http://www.presby.edu/bluehose/history.htm

gobluehose1
July 14th, 2007, 09:39 AM
goldandblack beat me to it....that link has the true story http://www.presby.edu/bluehose/history.htm

We pretend its some kind of William Wallace braveheart/fierce scottish warrior type thing...which is really cool, but the truth is that the name came from the color socks we wore back in the day

Back in '02 or '03 there were rumors that we were going to change the name from "Blue Hose" to "Highlanders" but I think there was a lot of outcry from the alums and students so the issue was never pressed.

You can't say our name isn't unique

Seawolf97
July 14th, 2007, 03:22 PM
That is cool in itself!

james_lawfirm
July 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM
This is from Ray Frank’s book “What’s in a Nickname.” “It has been asked many times where Presbyterian College received it’s nickname, Blue Hose. Several rumors exist.

One story has it that the Presbyterian Scotch-Irish wore blue stockings in the Puritan beginnings of our country. Another says that a fierce war-like band of Scotch-Irish named the Hose painted their entire bodies blue before going into battle.

Yet, probably the true story lies in a letter dated June 15, 1935, written by then athletic director Walter Johnson to an inquiring English professor in Virginia...[quoting from Walter Johnson’s letter] ‘It was about the second or third year, 1915, if I remember right, Stockings. I think it happened this way: I changed uniform colors to blue, wearing blue stockings and jerseys, and some sports writer started calling in his articles the Presbyterian College teams the Blue Stockings.’ ...In later years “Stocking” became abbreviated to “the Hose,” particularly in newspaper headlines, and was more or less officially adopted by the student body in the late 50’s.

http://www.presby.edu/bluehose/history.htm

Thanks for the info. That certainly sounds plausible. Somebody tell OL FU that his 2nd picture of "blue hose" was more correct than he initially thought. (see his earlier post in this thread.) Personally, I think their PR Dept. needs to come up with another name (at least buy another letter.)

walliver
July 15th, 2007, 12:50 AM
PC
Elon
Wofford
Furman
Citadel

Is it 1968?

It's interesting that out of the five seasons out of 41 years you picked, Wofford was on the schedule 4 of the 5 years. The year we weren't on the schedule you played powerhouse teams Gardner-Webb and VMI. You didn't come full circle, you never really left.:D

As far as the Wofford-PC rivalry, most of us hated Furman and Citadel more, but PC was our main home-and-home year-after-year rival in the NAIA and D-II days. Since out athletic department doesn't like scheduling any OOC games out of the Carolinas (a policy I don't like at all), they probably will reappear on our schedule, but I haven't heard any talk of playing them anytime soon.

Eyes of Old Main
July 15th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Since out athletic department doesn't like scheduling any OOC games out of the Carolinas (a policy I don't like at all), they probably will reappear on our schedule, but I haven't heard any talk of playing them anytime soon.

I hope we don't. I'd rather not since we are already playing several Big South schools each year. I wish we'd travel a bit more and pickup some CAA, Southland or OVC schools.

Saint3333
July 15th, 2007, 09:20 AM
It's interesting that out of the five seasons out of 41 years you picked, Wofford was on the schedule 4 of the 5 years. The year we weren't on the schedule you played powerhouse teams Gardner-Webb and VMI. You didn't come full circle, you never really left.:D

Just picked the XXX8 years. I believe it shows that more of the teams we played in 1968 are reappearing on our future schedules.

Once 2008 arrives I'd imagine ASU will be 4-0 in those games;).

g-webb1994
July 16th, 2007, 10:15 AM
When my brothers were at Furman, they had a cheer when PC played in G-ville for any sport......

They're Calvinists
They're Calvinists
They're predestined to lose!

Keep the Blue Hose name and tradition PC, Elon not being the Fightin' Christians anymore really stinks IMO.

It will be good to rekindle an old South Atlantic Conference rivalry next year in the Big South. Too bad G-W couldn't fit PC into the schedule this fall. Maybe in hoops?