3/20 at Bucknell
3/27 at Fordham
4/3 Lehigh

Lehigh
3/13 Holy Cross
3/20 at Colgate
3/27 Bucknell
4/3 at Lafayette

As I recall, the PL title game should be April 17, leaves April 10 open for any potential makeup games

Ramblin' Man
February 5th, 2021, 12:39 AM
I'm really pleased that we will have football this spring, even if on an abbreviated schedule. It would be great if fans could attend, but I suppose that's unlikely. Nevertheless, Go Rams!
🐏

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 5th, 2021, 07:12 PM
Lehigh released a statement saying they are experiencing more positive tests for students arriving for the spring semester than they saw in the fall. They noted a high % of the positive tests were off-campus/Greek associated students.

See what what does for the start of the spring sports season. Lafayette has their share of issues a few miles down the road....

TheValleyRaider
February 6th, 2021, 09:02 AM
Lehigh released a statement saying they are experiencing more positive tests for students arriving for the spring semester than they saw in the fall. They noted a high % of the positive tests were off-campus/Greek associated students.

See what what does for the start of the spring sports season. Lafayette has their share of issues a few miles down the road....

Given everyone is coming back from wherever they were, more positives is not surprising.

First games are still 5 weeks away so if (big IF) players can keep to school restrictions those should not be affected directly.

Will be curious how it affects practice and preparation though. Colgate has been having practices since the fall, but I would not be surprised to see some sloppy football (from all FCS, really).

Go Green
February 6th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Assuming no cancellations, who is expected to be tough this "season?"

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2021, 09:52 AM
Assuming no cancellations, who is expected to be tough this "season?"

Definitely not Lehigh...

Quick guess?
1. Holy Cross
2. Bucknell
3. Colgate
4. Fordham
5. Lafayette
6. Lehigh
Georgetown - Not participating....

ngineer
February 6th, 2021, 03:03 PM
I'm really pleased that we will have football this spring, even if on an abbreviated schedule. It would be great if fans could attend, but I suppose that's unlikely. Nevertheless, Go Rams!

At the moment the paper seemed to indicate there were no plans for fans or tailgating allowed. I am hoping that those of us who would be attendng their 50th Lehigh/Lafayette game at #156 might be allowed. The total "50 Game Club" only numbers about 40-50. I would think some appropriate distancing can be accomplished at Laughyette Fisher Field, cap. 13,500.

ngineer
February 6th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Definitely not Lehigh...

Quick guess?
1. Holy Cross
2. Bucknell
3. Colgate
4. Fordham
5. Lafayette
6. Lehigh

I think this season will be a total crap shoot. Real possibility of teams missing players due to quarantines, may be more injuries than normal due to less practice, sloppy play, i.e. turnovers likely. I think Lehigh has a decent nucleus back on defense. The OL has to be a bit better. QB will certainly be a question mark, but the run game can be very good with the improved OL. Not sure about special teams. IF I recall, we had a decent freshman kicker come in last year. He's had an additional 6 months to get ready!

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely not Lehigh...

Quick guess?
1. Holy Cross
2. Bucknell
3. Colgate
4. Fordham
5. Lafayette
6. Lehigh

I think this season will be a total crap shoot. Real possibility of teams missing players due to quarantines, may be more injuries than normal due to less practice, sloppy play, i.e. turnovers likely. I think Lehigh has a decent nucleus back on defense. The OL has to be a bit better. QB will certainly be a question mark, but the run game can be very good with the improved OL. Not sure about special teams. IF I recall, we had a decent freshman kicker come in last year. He's had an additional 6 months to get ready!

DFW HOYA
February 6th, 2021, 06:02 PM
While the PL 6 practice through through the spring, I'm thinking of Georgetown and this number...623.

Because by the time Georgetown has its next practice on August 3, 622 days will have passed since its last practice: 1 year, 8 months, 15 days. Just one starter on defense and three on offense are expected to return in 2021. There will be two classes totalling at least 50 newcomers that have never played in college. Of the 38 returnees, just 20 saw action of some kind during the majority of the 2019 season.

Fordham
February 8th, 2021, 10:20 AM
I view HC as the definitive favorite. They won it last time and have recruited on a different level than everyone else since.

This is as talented a Fordham team as we have had since the Moorhead era imo. We should definitely be in the mix although not favored.

DFW, that's a brutal stat on # of days for Gtown football.

Go Green
February 8th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Because by the time Georgetown has its next practice on August 3, 622 days will have passed since its last practice: 1 year, 8 months, 15 days. Just one starter on defense and three on offense are expected to return in 2021. There will be two classes totalling at least 50 newcomers that have never played in college. Of the 38 returnees, just 20 saw action of some kind during the majority of the 2019 season.

They won't have tons of game experience even after 2021 either.

Georgetown only has eight games scheduled for the Fall as far as I can tell. That's not good.

NY Crusader 2010
February 10th, 2021, 06:08 PM
I view HC as the definitive favorite. They won it last time and have recruited on a different level than everyone else since.

This is as talented a Fordham team as we have had since the Moorhead era imo. We should definitely be in the mix although not favored.

DFW, that's a brutal stat on # of days for Gtown football.

I was at last year's HC-Fordham game. You guys shut us out in the first half and were leading 21-7 halfway through the third quarter before the wheels fell off. I was actually trying to find out if our second half performance was any kind of NCAA or Division I record. After being shut out in the first half, we scored 49 points in the second half. Obviously teams have scored much more than that in a half many times over the years.

But I would like to know -- has any college football team walked into the halftime locker room with a goose egg and then gone on to finish a regulation game with MORE than 49 points?

Go Green
February 11th, 2021, 08:33 AM
But I would like to know -- has any college football team walked into the halftime locker room with a goose egg and then gone on to finish a regulation game with MORE than 49 points?

The closest I can recall is my senior year (1992) against Penn.

We were down 7-0 at the half.

We woke up and won 36-17.

ngineer
February 13th, 2021, 08:05 PM
With Bucknell and Lehigh campuses experiencing surges in positive COVID cases this week, this is going to be a very dicey time. Will not feel confident there will be a season until I see the ball teed up and teams on the field.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 14th, 2021, 10:36 AM
I just saw Fordham suspended all activities for 2 weeks, including athletics. I can't see how football will be prepared to play. This might finally kibosh the PL spring season...

Sader87
March 2nd, 2021, 02:05 PM
Holy Cross just dropped out of the PL hoop tourney due to covid issues....hoping this won't have a ripple effect on football.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/holy-cross-ends-its-mens-basketball-season-prior-to-patriot-league-tournament-after-positive-covid-19-test/ar-BB1eaasF

TheValleyRaider
March 4th, 2021, 08:35 AM
Patriot League Preseason Poll is out: https://patriotleague.org/news/2021/3/3/patriot-league-announces-2021-spring-football-preseason-honors.aspx

1. Holy Cross (5 first-place votes), 45
2. Colgate (2), 36
3. Fordham (4), 35
4. Lafayette (1), 28
5. Lehigh, 19
6. Bucknell, 16

Tim DeMorat (Fordham QB) and Malik Hamm (Lafayette DL) preseason players of the year

Per the poll the North division looks like the stronger, at least in preseason.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 4th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Patriot League Preseason Poll is out: https://patriotleague.org/news/2021/3/3/patriot-league-announces-2021-spring-football-preseason-honors.aspx

1. Holy Cross (5 first-place votes), 45
2. Colgate (2), 36
3. Fordham (4), 35
4. Lafayette (1), 28
5. Lehigh, 19
6. Bucknell, 16

Tim DeMorat (Fordham QB) and Malik Hamm (Lafayette DL) preseason players of the year

Per the poll the North division looks like the stronger, at least in preseason.

I think Bucknell is being seriously undervalued. They were a heartbreaking loss away from finishing 6-5 (epic season by recent PL standards) the last time we saw them on the field. Cech has had time to instill his offense and create a better culture in Lewisburg. The Bison's ceiling is only so high imo do their administration but relative to the PL and spring football I think they'll be in the "mix".

I'm interested to see how Colgate and Lehigh do. I don't trust either coach very much but Hunt has at least proven he can field Top 10/15 teams. The PL can't afford to have these to be middling at best...

I had Holy Cross 20th and Colgate 23th in my AGS Top 25. I seriously considered Bucknell instead of Colgate but I went with the Raiders due to pedigree, line talent.

Fordham
March 4th, 2021, 11:23 AM
I think Bucknell is being seriously undervalued. They were a heartbreaking loss away from finishing 6-5 (epic season by recent PL standards) the last time we saw them on the field. Cech has had time to instill his offense and create a better culture in Lewisburg. The Bison's ceiling is only so high imo do their administration but relative to the PL and spring football I think they'll be in the "mix".

I'm interested to see how Colgate and Lehigh do. I don't trust either coach very much but Hunt has at least proven he can field Top 10/15 teams. The PL can't afford to have these to be middling at best...

I had Holy Cross 20th and Colgate 23th in my AGS Top 25. I seriously considered Bucknell instead of Colgate but I went with the Raiders due to pedigree, line talent. Wow, Bucknell in the top 25? Surprising. I do have alot of respect for Cecc but still don't have them as a top 25 squad.

I'm very concerned about the Covid shutdown we went through and am curious about what effect it will have on HC as well. On paper this is the most talented Fordham team since the Moorhead era. We return a TON on offense. Good size and experience on the OL. Preseason MVP at QB, two very talented RBs and good WRs. On D our LBs as good as anyones at this level. We return a lot on the DL as well. The secondary is more suspect. Special teams took a huge hit with our P/K transfer to Iowa St and that could burn us in tight games.

Curious about everyone else's take on each team in the PL in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

Gater
March 4th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Colgate was (obviously) a mess last year. Everything that went right the year before went wrong. Injuries in the first few games had #3 QB and the #4 center learning quickly. Strange to see bad pursuit angles and tackling on D, fumbled snaps, etc. The team the year before just didn't make many mistakes and had really strong/experienced players at every position. This spring's team should fall somewhere in the middle--hoping the talent is there but will for sure be more experienced than the 2019 team.

Think pushing to spring helped Colgate more than most. A lot of young guys getting a ton of practice time before their first game. The last two recruiting classes have been strong. Feels like other teams are getting better so it will be interesting to see what Colgate team steps on the field. Just having any football in the spring feels like a win at this point.

TheValleyRaider
March 4th, 2021, 07:29 PM
I was surprised to see Bucknell in dead last. I don't know if they'd be a title challenger in a full season, but I don't buy them as the worst team in the League.

I did a quick look a few weeks ago, and based on the two-deep from last year's final game, Fordham and Bucknell return a ton of starters, so I'm leaning towards them being successful.

The weakest team coming in looks like Lehigh, which was not great a year ago, and is replacing a bunch of players as well. That might be a good thing, but having experience can only help in this shortened season.

As for Colgate, we usually benefit from the experience guys get after injuries the year before. We also have Breneman coming back, and an experienced (hopefully healthy) QB is big for the offense.

HC is still probably the best team, but I don't think the gap between them and much of the rest of the League is that big. Short season, upsets will have massive impact and potential for chaos. By golly...is that Lafayette's music?

Bill
March 4th, 2021, 09:10 PM
Lafayette's music still sucks.

NY Crusader 2010
March 5th, 2021, 06:19 AM
I was surprised to see Bucknell in dead last. I don't know if they'd be a title challenger in a full season, but I don't buy them as the worst team in the League.

I did a quick look a few weeks ago, and based on the two-deep from last year's final game, Fordham and Bucknell return a ton of starters, so I'm leaning towards them being successful.

The weakest team coming in looks like Lehigh, which was not great a year ago, and is replacing a bunch of players as well. That might be a good thing, but having experience can only help in this shortened season.

As for Colgate, we usually benefit from the experience guys get after injuries the year before. We also have Breneman coming back, and an experienced (hopefully healthy) QB is big for the offense.

HC is still probably the best team, but I don't think the gap between them and much of the rest of the League is that big. Short season, upsets will have massive impact and potential for chaos. By golly...is that Lafayette's music?

It's not.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 5th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Lafayette's campus is/was on lock down this morning. Yikes....

Holy Cross seems to be dealing with a fairly significant Covid situation on-campus. Are we sure the Lehigh-HC game is played next week?

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 5th, 2021, 03:12 PM
The Fordham-Bucknell game has officially been postponed. Not a surprise given the events at Fordham the last two weeks and now growing concerns at Bucknell.

Holy Cross athletic facilities are closed until Tuesday?

DFW HOYA
March 5th, 2021, 03:49 PM
At some point, the PL will simply schedule L-L 156 and call everything else off.

The amount of foresight in the league office continues to underwhelm.

NY Crusader 2010
March 7th, 2021, 05:49 AM
Drove by Fordham's practice field the other day. Team was practicing. Hopefully they are getting the situation under control there. Same up in Worcester for us -- we cancelled our Patriot League tournament basketball game against Loyola because a Tier I student (player or manager) tested positive. So season over on that front.

caribbeanhen
March 7th, 2021, 10:54 AM
Drove by Fordham's practice field the other day. Team was practicing. Hopefully they are getting the situation under control there. Same up in Worcester for us -- we cancelled our Patriot League tournament basketball game against Loyola because a Tier I student (player or manager) tested positive. So season over on that front.

hope you stopped by Chuchifrito’s