PDA

View Full Version : Griz vs Ducks

SeattleGriz
August 21st, 2005, 12:46 AM
Wow. Only a couple more days and I will be screaming my head off at a ton of hippies, Oregon hippies, not Missoula hippies.

Anyway, what is the final score going to be?

I predict:

Montana 24
Oregon 35

I would call this a good game. If the Griz lose by more than 24, I will have a complete hippie slap down.

youwouldno
August 21st, 2005, 12:57 AM
Griz fans: do not look up the size of Oregon's O-line. It will just upset you.

Oregon 49 Griz 21

CatFan22
August 21st, 2005, 02:40 AM
I think you are overlooking how good Oregon will be this year. For one, if you expand the AP rankings and the USA Today polls, Oregon is ranked 27th in the nation. I know a top-tier I-AA can put up a good fight against a lower I-A team, but come on. Oregon is almost in the top 25. Lower your optimism a little bit and think a little more rationally.

JohnStOnge
August 21st, 2005, 07:56 AM
One never knows...first game of the season and all. Remember EWU losing by only 21-19 to Oregon State then Oregon State going on to finish in the top 5?

ChickenMan
August 21st, 2005, 08:07 AM
The major problem I see for the Cubbies is that they will be breaking in a new QB... on the road... vs a good 1A opponent. Very tough way to start... if you're that new QB. I know they play Ft Lewis a week earlier... but that will hardly prepare the new QB for what he'll be getting at Oregon.

JohnStOnge
August 21st, 2005, 08:14 AM
I think you are overlooking how good Oregon will be this year. For one, if you expand the AP rankings and the USA Today polls, Oregon is ranked 27th in the nation. I know a top-tier I-AA can put up a good fight against a lower I-A team, but come on. Oregon is almost in the top 25. Lower your optimism a little bit and think a little more rationally.

I think a top I-AA team has a shot to compete against a I-A on the fringe of the I-A top 25. I think a team at the very top of I-AA most years is comparable in caliber to a team in the middle of I-A and sometimes a bit better than that.

Sam Adams
August 21st, 2005, 08:43 AM
Griz fans being Griz fans: Overrating themselves and underrating their opponents.

Quack Attack: 48
Cubs: 10

DaGriz
August 21st, 2005, 11:26 AM
I think the two teams in the Big Sky that will have competitive scores against their I-A opponents this year is EWU and NAU. Other than that, I see us, the Cats, Sac. St. and both games for PSU getting smoked. Had we played Oregon last year I think it would have been close. New QB, young WR's, new KR's, lost full back and TE this year. We might be in for a long game. A 20 point spread wouldn't suprise me. And this will be Oregon's second game, first at home.

GrizzlyEdd
August 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Griz fans being Griz fans: Overrating themselves and underrating their opponents.

Quack Attack: 48
Cubs: 10

Yep probably true but when the Griz are the ONLY I-AA team to be in the NC game 50% of the time in the last 10yrs, then I would say that it is more optimism and less overrating:cool: You are not going to find any Griz team "underrating their opponents." We have lost our share of game we should have won.... me thinks your statement smacks of "Griz envy"....;) :D

rcny46
August 21st, 2005, 11:55 AM
Griz fans: do not look up the size of Oregon's O-line. It will just upset you.

Oregon 49 Griz 21

So you are saying that size does matter?

Umass74
August 21st, 2005, 12:41 PM
As I said in an earlier thread, I have relatives in Eugene. They are big Ducks fans. Humble they are not.

GO GRIZ! Hope you beat 'em!

On a more rational level: Ducks 45 Grizz 24

OrneryAggie
August 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM
Last year Fresno St was a top 25 team and only managed a 27-17 victory over Portland St. I could see Montana keeping it just as close against the Ducks. As for PSU being able to keep up with Boise and Oregon St this year that seems less likely.

youwouldno
August 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM
So you are saying that size does matter?

haha. Well in the case of O-lines, it's probably overrated, but will the Griz D-line have any hope of a pass rush against 340lb guys? I kind of doubt it. The Griz may be able to limit the destruction on the ground but in the air war their odds look poor.

Sam Adams
August 21st, 2005, 03:10 PM
Actually Schwartz is 6'7 350 but its not Oregon's OL that will create the biggest problem for the griz, its Oregon's Defense and particularly Mr. Ngata (6'5" 358) then throw in the duck's veteran multidimensional scoring machine in Tim Day, Clemens, Whitehead and Williams and it leads me to believe that the Oregon offense is going to get a lot of touches and they will look to go upstairs early and often. Oregon is looking for a bounce back season and they will come out loaded for bear...

Best of luck to the Griz of course, but I'm predicting a blowout.

DaGriz
August 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
Look at the upside, if it gets to be a blow out we might get to see Jonathan Stewart at RB, #1 running back coming out of highschool this year.

Griz Grunt
August 21st, 2005, 07:21 PM
Link to Duck's first scrimmage info:

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3383&SPID=233&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=177949

OUCH!
http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/OU-ouch.gif;)

Ronbo
August 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Look at the upside, if it gets to be a blow out we might get to see Jonathan Stewart at RB, #1 running back coming out of highschool this year.

He didn't even play in the scrimmage. Must be injured.

DaBears
August 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM
I think it is great that the Griz are in a humbling situation. All I ever hear from most Griz fans is how great they are and how much better than the rest of I-AA they are (especially the "directional schools") and how the Big Sky is being diluted with crappy schools like UNC and Portland State and they think that they belong in I-A. Well let's see it. If the Griz are even half as great as they say they are, they should beat Oregon by at least two touchdowns.

I do acknowledge that there are some Griz fans with class, but ya'll are in the minority.

catbob
August 21st, 2005, 08:20 PM
I think it is great that the Griz are in a humbling situation. All I ever hear from most Griz fans is how great they are and how much better than the rest of I-AA they are (especially the "directional schools") and how the Big Sky is being diluted with crappy schools like UNC and Portland State and they think that they belong in I-A. Well let's see it. If the Griz are even half as great as they say they are, they should beat Oregon by at least two touchdowns.

I do acknowledge that there are some Griz fans with class, but ya'll are in the minority.

:D :D :D :D :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Ronbo
August 21st, 2005, 08:33 PM

It's not the teams we field DaBears, it's more like the following we have that sets us apart from you. You have something similar to a NAIA situation in N. Colorado. You average 4000 fans for football and 800 for basketball. Yes programs like yours is dumbing down our Conference. Cripes would you even crack the top 20 attendance in Division III? :rolleyes: We've been replacing programs like Boise State, Idaho, and Nevada who averaged 16,000 to 20,000 with Portland State, Northridge, Sac. State, and N. Colorado that can't even draw enough fans to be considered a decent HS program.

EagleCrusade
August 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM
If an inexperienced O-line can hang with the #3 BCS team (UGAy) then why can't a top-rated I-AA team hang with a #27 overated Pac-10 team?

This game will be a lot closer than anyone thinks. Go get em Griz!

grizzpaw
August 21st, 2005, 09:56 PM
i don't care about the oregon game,(and YES i WILL be their cheering for my team win or lose) it means nothing except playing time for both teams and a chance to play one of the best programs in the pac-10, party with some of the best fans on the west coast and all in all having a great time :D . since oregon is so good and deep in talent they will only play their first string until they feel good about what they have done. they don't need injuries playing us and we don't want any either. at least we are not playing a poor 1-a team just to say that we played a 1-a team like a lot of I-aa teams! we play the best because WE ARE ONE OF THE BEST! LIKE IT OR NOT :D

OrneryAggie
August 21st, 2005, 10:15 PM
We've been replacing programs like Boise State, Idaho, and Nevada who averaged 16,000 to 20,000 with Portland State, Northridge, Sac. State, and N. Colorado that can't even draw enough fans to be considered a decent HS program.

While Suc St in mired in mediocrity you have to admit that they could potentially challenge montana for top attendance if they had the coaching to build a winner. In 2001 Suc was 23 in IAA avg'ing 11.5k fans even with just a 2-9 record. 2000 avg'd 11,487 for 27th in IAA and 1999 avg'd 11,078 good for 33rd in IAA with all three years being 2nd in the Sky in attendance. Sure they've fallen off since the pam scandal and when their great salesman Volek left but Sacramentans support their sports (see: Kings, Rivercats, Olympic track trials, hell even the monarchs avg 9k/game) when the potential for big wins is there.

I know Suc St is everybody's favorite whipping boy but sometimes ppl are too quick to disregard the hornets as a beneficial conf member.

Chi Panther
August 22nd, 2005, 12:11 AM
Best of luck to the Griz....

Oregon has extremely talented WRs this year.....and relatively unknown (for the moment anyways)

DuckDuckGriz
August 22nd, 2005, 01:28 AM
:D :D :D :D :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

A Bobcat fan trying to talk about class :confused:

catbob
August 22nd, 2005, 11:55 AM
A Bobcat fan trying to talk about class :confused:

All I did was smile and applaud someone else than sees the griz fans for the way they really are.

Back on point - I think the griz would have a decent shot to beat the Ducks any year but this year, because the inexperience at QB is going to show the first few games, they have to adjust to the system.

GrizzlyEdd
August 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM

First... Most Griz fans don't go around saying the Griz are better than the "rest" of I-AA. The Griz have had an incredible run over the last 10yrs, definitely. Does that make them better than the rest of I-AA??? only in 1995 and 2001... and second best in 1996, 2000, and 2004:p

Second... the majority of Griz fans that I have talked to or read their posts on egriz.com, et al, DO NOT want the Griz to go I-A, at least not for the foreseable future.

Third... Do you know all 23,000+ Griz fans who attend each game??? If not, how can you justify your statement about class Griz fans being a minority! Believe me, there are thousands of class Griz fans. A vast majority are classy. Yep, like anyone else we have our "bad boys" but again so does everyone else. If ya wanna know about the majority of Griz fans, ask someone from SHSU or any other nationally known team that plays at WGS. Also, ask JMU fans how they got along with the U of M fans at the NC game last year.... nuf said...:cool:

El_Gato
August 22nd, 2005, 01:38 PM
We all know how delusional griz fans can be and here we have even more evidence. With just 2 weeks til game 1, there is STILL no #1 QB in Grizville. They play a high school team in week one, so nothing will likely be learned there, which means they'll go into Autzen with no idea how good or bad their QB's are. The only real hope the Griz will have of scoring is in special teams or if their D can force turnovers in the redzone, giving them the short field (something they excelled at last year).

Any fan who looks at the size advantage UO will have in the trenches on both sides of the ball, especially if they witnessed the way JMU MAULED the Griz in the 2nd half of the 2004 NC game, has to feel that the Griz have no chance of pulling an upset nor even keeping this one close. Oregon will score at will with their first team offense and shut out the Griz with their first team D. Griz scores will be determined by how quickly the Ducks go to their 2's & 3's...

Oregon 45

Griz 6

Ronbo
August 22nd, 2005, 01:43 PM
OU will beat the Griz by 3 TD's, not quite as bad as the 56-3 whipping that Oklahoma State will put on you guys. :D

Proud Griz Man
August 22nd, 2005, 01:43 PM
We all know how delusional griz fans can be and here we have even more evidence. Oregon will score at will with their first team offense and shut out the Griz with their first team D. Griz scores will be determined by how quickly the Ducks go to their 2's & 3's...

Oregon 45

Griz 6

Hi Mr. Gato.

Largest win margin: Oklahoma State over Montana State, or Oregon over Montana? Give us your opinion (succinctly).

El_Gato
August 22nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
I already made this bet with lumberbroker & originalextracrispyBoisegriz. I bet both of them that the Cats margin will be closer than the Griz.

Boise accepted, lumber has not to date.

I think one difference is that Oregon's 2's & 3's will be better than OSU's. Plus, OSU has a whole new staff plus they've had a ton of offseason turmoil; 7 players kicked off, a starter died in a car wreck, etc. Finally, MSU's strength (passing O) will HOPEFULLY have some success versus OSU's weakness (secondary, pass D).

I'm picking the Griz to lose by at least 28, and us to lose by around 20.

Proud Griz Man
August 22nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
I already made this bet with lumberbroker & originalextracrispyBoisegriz. I bet both of them that the Cats margin will be closer than the Griz.

Boise accepted, lumber has not to date.

I think one difference is that Oregon's 2's & 3's will be better than OSU's. Plus, OSU has a whole new staff plus they've had a ton of offseason turmoil; 7 players kicked off, a starter died in a car wreck, etc. Finally, MSU's strength (passing O) will HOPEFULLY have some success versus OSU's weakness (secondary, pass D).

I'm picking the Griz to lose by at least 28, and us to lose by around 20.

... the Griz have no chance of pulling an upset nor even keeping this one close. Oregon will score at will with their first team offense and shut out the Griz with their first team D. Griz scores will be determined by how quickly the Ducks go to their 2's & 3's...

Oregon 45

Griz 6

So Mr. Gato, Which is it? 45-6, or Griz lose by at least 28? ;) 39? 28? :D

El_Gato
August 22nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
I know you're a proud griz man so I understand your difficulties with simple math.

FYI, 39 points would qualify as at least 28.

Picking the final score of anything is futile; folks who get close are simply lucky, not clairvoyant (look it up, PGM). I'm simply stating that the UO/Griz game WILL NOT BE CLOSE. I'm also stating that the Bobcats will lose to OSU, but not by as big a margin as your game.

Did ya get all that, PGM? DO I NEED TO TYPE SLOWER FOR YOU......?

Proud Griz Man
August 22nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
I know you're a proud griz man so I understand your difficulties with simple math.

FYI, 39 points would qualify as at least 28.

Picking the final score of anything is futile; folks who get close are simply lucky, not clairvoyant (look it up, PGM). I'm simply stating that the UO/Griz game WILL NOT BE CLOSE. I'm also stating that the Bobcats will lose to OSU, but not by as big a margin as your game.

Did ya get all that, PGM? DO I NEED TO TYPE SLOWER FOR YOU......?

I am just letting everyone on this board see the true El Gato. :nod:

Unprovoked Insults. Big Predictions. Excuses. etc. ;)

El_Gato
August 22nd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Don't worry, PGM. I don't need you to show anybody that. They'll all get to see the magic that is me in the coming months....

And I'm sorry, but it's really hard not to insult so many of you griz fans.

Predictions? They were asked for so I offered mine.

As for excuses? griz fans wrote the book on them...

Ever hear the one about THE TURF?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DuckDuckGriz
August 22nd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Ever hear the one about THE TURF?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch it there, that's a sore subject all over the board, not just with Griz fans......

Of course Bozeman was quiet as usual last December :cool:

My prediction.........

Ducks 44
Griz 23

OSU 34
Cats 17

JALMOND
August 22nd, 2005, 10:47 PM
One thing I'd like to point out here (and this is coming from someone who lives in Oregon). Recently, the Ducks have looked terrible in their first game at home, regardless of who they played. I caught the Indiana game last year and afterwards, you would have thought the Hoosiers would easily walk through the Big-10. In a nutshell, the Ducks made the Hoosiers look a helluva lot better than Michigan. By the end of the year, I would have been hard pressed to put Indiana in the 1-AA Top 25. If the Ducks think they can sleepwalk again, the Griz might show them that they have another thing coming. On paper, yeah the Ducks by four touchdowns, but based on recent history, I've adopted a wait-and-see attitude towards this.

mlbowl
August 23rd, 2005, 08:40 AM
Of course Bozeman was quiet as usual last December :cool:

:lmao: :nod: :lmao:

DaBears
August 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM
It's not the teams we field DaBears, it's more like the following we have that sets us apart from you. You have something similar to a NAIA situation in N. Colorado. You average 4000 fans for football and 800 for basketball. Yes programs like yours is dumbing down our Conference. Cripes would you even crack the top 20 attendance in Division III? :rolleyes: We've been replacing programs like Boise State, Idaho, and Nevada who averaged 16,000 to 20,000 with Portland State, Northridge, Sac. State, and N. Colorado that can't even draw enough fans to be considered a decent HS program.

If you are going to talk smack, maybe you should get your facts correct. Although sometimes it is easier to just make up "facts" to conform with your proposition. First, UNC had a down year in attendance because we were horrible last year but we have had years where we averaged close to 8,000 fans. I know you will disregard that as still being bad but it is a fact and it seems you should try using facts every once in a while. Second, UNC was always in the top 20 of D-II attendance.

You think your 23,000 is impressive but the fact is that that is piss poor for I-A and you would be a bottom of the barrell I-A program in attendance and the game against Oregon will show how piss poor you would be on the field as a I-A program. Instead of doing anything productive, you would rather whine about other I-AA programs who haven't risen to your mighty 23,000. To a fan of an Oregon or a Michigan, there isn't an ounce of difference between your 23,000 or UNC's 8,000 so your arrogance is founded on a big lie. I really wish you would move to I-A though so not only will i not have to read posts from the griz on this board, but also so I can get satisfaction every time one of your game scores scroll across on the ESPN ticker.

Your arguments about attendance and superiority are like one high school geek telling his geek friends that he is more popular than they are.

DuckDuckGriz
August 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
If you are going to talk smack, maybe you should get your facts correct. Although sometimes it is easier to just make up "facts" to conform with your proposition. First, UNC had a down year in attendance because we were horrible last year but we have had years where we averaged close to 8,000 fans. I know you will disregard that as still being bad but it is a fact and it seems you should try using facts every once in a while. Second, UNC was always in the top 20 of D-II attendance.

You think your 23,000 is impressive but the fact is that that is piss poor for I-A and you would be a bottom of the barrell I-A program in attendance and the game against Oregon will show how piss poor you would be on the field as a I-A program. Instead of doing anything productive, you would rather whine about other I-AA programs who haven't risen to your mighty 23,000. To a fan of an Oregon or a Michigan, there isn't an ounce of difference between your 23,000 or UNC's 8,000 so your arrogance is founded on a big lie. I really wish you would move to I-A though so not only will i not have to read posts from the griz on this board, but also so I can get satisfaction every time one of your game scores scroll across on the ESPN ticker.

Your arguments about attendance and superiority are like one high school geek telling his geek friends that he is more popular than they are.

Like he said DaBears, IT'S NOT THE TEAM -- IT'S THE SUPPORT that sets us apart, so you can get off your soapbox about Montana moving to I-A because that is not something Griz fans want to happen. If the Griz did move to I-A they would increase scholarships, so who's to say they wouldn't be successful in recruiting (facilities) and play (see Boise State, Marshall, etc).

The point was that the reason for dissapointment is that the Big Sky has gone under some rough transitions in the past few years where they used to field premier programs in their state, similiar to Montana and Montana State. Obviously this isn't UNC's fault, they compete with two major I-A teams, but the fact that the BSC had an opportunity to regain that type of league with NDSU and SDSU raises questions. UNC is the better geographic choice and there is no doubt in my mind that they will be competitive in the next few years in all sports, but the Big Sky (not just "arrogant" Griz fans) are hoping for an increase in attendance an facilities. Not all Big Sky teams are great when it comes to this but we were atleast hoping to take a step in the right direction. It is up to the fans at UNC and students to make this happen. I for one think Northern Colorado will do great things in the Conference, as long as they aren't using it as "just a place to go" like Sac State and Portland. Forgive us for being skeptics.

BTW -- 23,000 average isn't near the bottom of the barrel. It's certainly not tops but it is a decent mid-major I-A following.

DaBears
August 23rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Like he said DaBears, IT'S NOT THE TEAM -- IT'S THE SUPPORT that sets us apart, so you can get off your soapbox about Montana moving to I-A because that is not something Griz fans want to happen. If the Griz did move to I-A they would increase scholarships, so who's to say they wouldn't be successful in recruiting (facilities) and play (see Boise State, Marshall, etc).

The point was that the reason for dissapointment is that the Big Sky has gone under some rough transitions in the past few years where they used to field premier programs in their state, similiar to Montana and Montana State. Obviously this isn't UNC's fault, they compete with two major I-A teams, but the fact that the BSC had an opportunity to regain that type of league with NDSU and SDSU raises questions. UNC is the better geographic choice and there is no doubt in my mind that they will be competitive in the next few years in all sports, but the Big Sky (not just "arrogant" Griz fans) are hoping for an increase in attendance an facilities. Not all Big Sky teams are great when it comes to this but we were atleast hoping to take a step in the right direction. It is up to the fans at UNC and students to make this happen. I for one think Northern Colorado will do great things in the Conference, as long as they aren't using it as "just a place to go" like Sac State and Portland. Forgive us for being skeptics.

BTW -- 23,000 average isn't near the bottom of the barrel. It's certainly not tops but it is a decent mid-major I-A following.

I do see your point but UNC is moving in the right direction The students just passed a referendum to fund roughly 20 or 30 million (can't remember which) in facility upgrades. Just because a school is the major state school, it doesn't automatically make it superior to all schools that are not the major college in their state.

DuckDuckGriz
August 23rd, 2005, 01:54 PM
I do see your point but UNC is moving in the right direction The students just passed a referendum to fund roughly 20 or 30 million (can't remember which) in facility upgrades. Just because a school is the major state school, it doesn't automatically make it superior to all schools that are not the major college in their state.

Right -- The fact is though a school like Montana and others like Boise State, Idaho, and Nevada-Reno did well because they were one of few premier programs in the state. In that case, they had a bigger fanbase and following, and more support in the Big Sky. It doesn't make them superior schools but it sure makes for convenience when filling the seats. Again, there isn't UNC could do about it and it's not their fault that they don't draw as much as they want to, but I'm just stating fact.

Ronbo
August 23rd, 2005, 07:35 PM

We would be 4th in the WAC at 23,000. Only Fresno, Hawaii, and Boise would be ahead of us.