PDA

View Full Version : I-AA to FCS media switchover

chattanoogamocs
July 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Well, the Chattanooga Times-Free Press (and staff writer Wesley Rucker) have made the official changeover from I-AA to FCS.

The official style for the T-FP when speaking of FCS is to first call it by it's full name...the Division I Football Championship Subdivision...then in the rest of the article, just Division I or FCS.

I know it is probably not a big deal...but it was cool to read an article this week and see no mention (for the first time) of I-A or I-AA.

From the article...

Five area prep players signed with other Division I Football Championship Subdivision programs in February, and three of them -- Red Bank's Jeremy Caldwell (Eastern Kentucky), Temple's Seth Skogen (Furman) and Baylor's Sidney Tarver (Tennessee State) -- were heavily recruited by UTC. Howard's Rico Council signed with Tennessee State, and McMinn County's Trace McDermott signed with UT-Martin, but neither were big UTC targets.

...and then later in the article...

It wouldn't be fair to say UTC has ignored the area in the past. The roster features plenty of local talent, but others got away for various reasons. Braswell, like McDonald, did not get a UTC offer out of high school. Braswell signed with FCS school Liberty in 2004 but moved home before last season, while McDonald signed with FCS school Alabama State but played for NAIA Cumberland University last season. Caleb Skogen played basketball at Division I Mercer before transferring to area NAIA member Covenant College last year.

Just thought I would share with the board. :)

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/sports.aspx?articleid=17875&zoneid=6

Cocky
July 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
At least someone is trying to be correct.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Times Free Press has done a great job of covering FCS football. They are the home of the championship game and know what's going on...props to them!

BigApp
July 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM
guys, this whole process is going to take a while. You can't call it one thing for 25+ years and expect people to change their language overnight.

SoCon48
July 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM
guys, this whole process is going to take a while. You can't call it one thing for 25+ years and expect people to change their language overnight.

Especially since so many of them didn't have it figured out in the first place. The D-2 references used to really gall me.