PDA

View Full Version : WAC geography issue

jajfitz
February 3rd, 2021, 03:57 AM
I am not from Texas or Utah and don't have a dog in the fight but why would would schools leave their respective conferences for a new conference where schools are 1000 miles away? I've never understood West Virginia to the Big XII.

Raven Maniac
February 3rd, 2021, 04:31 AM
I am not from Texas or Utah and don't have a dog in the fight but why would would schools leave their respective conferences for a new conference where schools are 1000 miles away? I've never understood West Virginia to the Big XII.

All good questions. I think these are universities that desire the FBS experience for their kids and see this as a way to accomplish it. Yes it will take time and commitment but this way they don't have to join an existing conference (if any were actually throwing invitations around) and always be the new guy. With that said, I really don't know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2021, 07:02 AM
There’s multiple threads on this

The Texas schools have actually created a smaller footprint of a league if you just isolate the Texas Division in which most sports (minus hoops and football) will play within the division. They will solely be playing in Texas in those sports for league play which for most of them, is where they recruit their athletes.

basketball is seen as a huge improvement as a league. Only four schools in SLC rank in top 300 of NET let alone top 200. Three of those schools are going to the WAC next year and have been carrying the SLC flag as it relates to hoops. They envision creating a situation where they are an improved seed and the league RPI should be a significant (8 to 15 league improvement over the SLC) in league RPI

football is more about being aligned with similar schools who have a desire to explore FBS. Again, heavily Texas weighted right now with one annual trip to Utah. That’s not bad for the Texas schools. They maintain an AQ once dust settles and with the likely addition being another TX school or two (UTRGV is strongly looking at FB and we anticipate a D2 school from the LSC), again the travel minus the one UT trip makes a tighter league within a single state.

end of day, the schools leaving SLC had the top budgets in league. There was a growing disparity on the financial side, there were some weak links in SLC related to facilities, all the departing schools have ESPN broadcasts in house (only SLU of remaining schools does), there’s a commitment to reviewing FBS and improving MBB hoops (where the $$ is). It’s a no brainer regardless of what some think

Raven Maniac
February 3rd, 2021, 08:55 AM
There’s multiple threads on this

The Texas schools have actually created a smaller footprint of a league if you just isolate the Texas Division in which most sports (minus hoops and football) will play within the division. They will solely be playing in Texas in those sports for league play which for most of them, is where they recruit their athletes.

basketball is seen as a huge improvement as a league. Only four schools in SLC rank in top 300 of NET let alone top 200. Three of those schools are going to the WAC next year and have been carrying the SLC flag as it relates to hoops. They envision creating a situation where they are an improved seed and the league RPI should be a significant (8 to 15 league improvement over the SLC) in league RPI

football is more about being aligned with similar schools who have a desire to explore FBS. Again, heavily Texas weighted right now with one annual trip to Utah. That’s not bad for the Texas schools. They maintain an AQ once dust settles and with the likely addition being another TX school or two (UTRGV is strongly looking at FB and we anticipate a D2 school from the LSC), again the travel minus the one UT trip makes a tighter league within a single state.

end of day, the schools leaving SLC had the top budgets in league. There was a growing disparity on the financial side, there were some weak links in SLC related to facilities, all the departing schools have ESPN broadcasts in house (only SLU of remaining schools does), there’s a commitment to reviewing FBS and improving MBB hoops (where the $$ is). It’s a no brainer regardless of what some think

Excellent analysis. Hopefully we will only be linked to ASUN for one season. I know SFA has applied to have this year count as their API punishment year. If it is not approved I wonder how all of this will play into the auto bid.

walliver
February 3rd, 2021, 09:02 AM
Since the majority of people live on the coasts or along the Mississippi and its tributaries, any conference based in the west not located on the coast is going to have large travel distances.

wapiti
February 3rd, 2021, 09:40 AM
Based on the geography argument I thought WAC would have gone after the CA schools in the Big Sky. Cal Poly, Sac State, and UC Davis. and maybe even NAU.

Raven Maniac
February 3rd, 2021, 09:41 AM
Based on the geography argument I thought WAC would have gone after the CA schools in the Big Sky. Cal Poly, Sac State, and UC Davis. and maybe even NAU.

Maybe they did.

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2021, 09:46 AM
Excellent analysis. Hopefully we will only be linked to ASUN for one season. I know SFA has applied to have this year count as their API punishment year. If it is not approved I wonder how all of this will play into the auto bid.

SFA's situation with APR has no impact on automatic bids in any sports as it relates to the WAC. 2020 was their football penalty and basketball will be when it is (again, won't have impact on WAC besides their eligibility for WAC tournament, automatic bid in '22 if it is denied). The WAC has enough schools for hoops auto bid in '21-22.

Outside of a quest for an automatic bid in football more expeditiously, none of these schools truly make sense for an all sports addition minus Northern Arizona. Cal Poly and UC-Davis won't be leaving the Big West in all sports. I was down with the football affiliation if they were since one trip to CA and one trip to UT for the Texas schools would've been fine and it would have only enhanced the league.

Hammerhead
February 3rd, 2021, 10:26 AM
Since the majority of people live on the coasts or along the Mississippi and its tributaries, any conference based in the west not located on the coast is going to have large travel distances.

Here's a visual representation of how isolated some teams are in the west.

https://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2308083/FCS_Map.png

EKU05
February 3rd, 2021, 11:07 AM
In the case of WVU it's as simple as being in a Power 5 conference or not being in one. Some bad geography is worth that.

But as a side note, I'm a big Louisville fan so I have some perspective on this...

At the time the Big 12 was trying to add one team, and it basically came down to Louisville or WVU. In the short term it seems like WVU won that battle, but at the time no one knew that Maryland was going to bolt the ACC for the Big 10. I certainly think both Louisville and WVU would have preferred the ACC to the Big 12, and it actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise that the Big 12 turned the Cards down.

SFA 93
February 3rd, 2021, 11:10 AM
SFA basketball got the post band switched to this season instead of the next, so we will be free and clear on all fronts going into the WAC.

Laker
February 3rd, 2021, 11:12 AM
As far as "footprint"- the WAC brought in schools that would be closer to the middle and got rid of an outlier in Chicago State. I'm sure that Seattle would love to be in the PCC or even the Big Sky but it doesn't look like that phone call has been made yet. Sometimes you have to stay where you are at. Sometimes you make a move that you think is up but it turns out not to be.

Remember when Boise State and San Diego State were going to join the Big East in football? Geographically it made no sense, yet they thought about doing it.

wapiti
February 3rd, 2021, 01:56 PM
Here's a visual representation of how isolated some teams are in the west.

https://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2308083/FCS_Map.png

Nevada needs an FCS team.

Laker
February 3rd, 2021, 02:05 PM
Nevada needs an FCS team.

Years ago I thought that Nevada State might rise to meet that challenge. Then I found out that their graduation rate barely reached double figures and that they didn't have sports teams. However, they are black and gold and called the Scorpions.

Raven Maniac
February 3rd, 2021, 02:06 PM
SFA's situation with APR has no impact on automatic bids in any sports as it relates to the WAC. 2020 was their football penalty and basketball will be when it is (again, won't have impact on WAC besides their eligibility for WAC tournament, automatic bid in '22 if it is denied). The WAC has enough schools for hoops auto bid in '21-22.

Outside of a quest for an automatic bid in football more expeditiously, none of these schools truly make sense for an all sports addition minus Northern Arizona. Cal Poly and UC-Davis won't be leaving the Big West in all sports. I was down with the football affiliation if they were since one trip to CA and one trip to UT for the Texas schools would've been fine and it would have only enhanced the league.

This I do know. SFA has applied to the NCAA asking that this be the year counting for their punishment. The tricky part here is the punishment was they could not be conference champs or participate in playoffs. Because they played in the fall, claimed they were conference champs and were not eligible to play spring conference games could be viewed by the NCAA in many ways. This might be a situation where WAC influence might help.

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2021, 02:12 PM
This I do know. SFA has applied to the NCAA asking that this be the year counting for their punishment. The tricky part here is the punishment was they could not be conference champs or participate in playoffs. Because they played in the fall, claimed they were conference champs and were not eligible to play spring conference games could be viewed by the NCAA in many ways. This might be a situation where WAC influence might help

FYI - you are speaking of the wrong sport.

Football was always supposed to be penalized for the '20 season It was basketball that was a '21-22 penalty and they have since requested to make it a '20-21 penalty. Hope that clears it up for you, Raven. I wouldn't worry about anything APR-related to football and automatic bid shere.

The University has been approved to delay the men’s basketball postseason ban until the 2021-22 season, while football and baseball will serve their bans during the 2020-21 academic year.

Raven Maniac
February 3rd, 2021, 02:13 PM
FYI - you are speaking of the wrong sport.

Football was always supposed to be penalized for the '20 season It was basketball that was a '21-22 penalty and they have since requested to make it a '20-21 penalty. Hope that clears it up for you, Raven. I wouldn't worry about anything APR-related to football and automatic bid shere.

I was always talking football.

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2021, 02:14 PM
I was always talking football.

Football did not request a chance to their postseason ban (nor did baseball) and have thus, served it already.

Basketball was the only sport that requested it from the NCAA.

Again, non-issue and nothing to see here...

Raven Maniac
February 3rd, 2021, 02:16 PM
Football did not request a chance to their postseason ban (nor did baseball) and have thus, served it already.

Basketball was the only sport that requested it from the NCAA.

Again, non-issue and nothing to see here...

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought they had requested FB also thus my concern about having 6 teams for next fall.

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2021, 02:20 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought they had requested FB also thus my concern about having 6 teams for next fall.

The WAC is likely not having an automatic bid in '21 unless the ASUN schools come over for a one-year schedule alliance as had been reported by Pete Thamel and somewhat 'debunked' by comments made by others. It seems something will give way because the ASUN schools unless they join the Big South for a year, will have the same predicament.

The WAC will file for a waiver and will get one in '22 when it has seven schools, albeit two that are in transition.

Raven Maniac
February 3rd, 2021, 02:22 PM
The WAC is likely not having an automatic bid in '21 unless the ASUN schools come over for a one-year schedule alliance as had been reported by Pete Thamel and somewhat 'debunked' by comments made by others. It seems something will give way because the ASUN schools unless they join the Big South for a year, will have the same predicament.

The WAC will file for a waiver and will get one in '22 when it has seven schools, albeit two that are in transition.

Then we must win big and win often!

jajfitz
February 3rd, 2021, 05:04 PM
As far as "footprint"- the WAC brought in schools that would be closer to the middle and got rid of an outlier in Chicago State. I'm sure that Seattle would love to be in the PCC or even the Big Sky but it doesn't look like that phone call has been made yet. Sometimes you have to stay where you are at. Sometimes you make a move that you think is up but it turns out not to be.

Remember when Boise State and San Diego State were going to join the Big East in football? Geographically it made no sense, yet they thought about doing it.

I am a big Aztec fan. I was against it except for the idea of playing someone different. The Aztecs have a history of playing a boring slate:D

TheRevSFA
February 3rd, 2021, 08:32 PM
This I do know. SFA has applied to the NCAA asking that this be the year counting for their punishment. The tricky part here is the punishment was they could not be conference champs or participate in playoffs. Because they played in the fall, claimed they were conference champs and were not eligible to play spring conference games could be viewed by the NCAA in many ways. This might be a situation where WAC influence might help.

SFA was also being facetious about the conference champs thing but as we all know, a sense of humor is one thing that Sam folks don’t have.

TheRevSFA
February 3rd, 2021, 08:33 PM

I’d wait for the check to clear. Remember when Sam denied WAC rumors?

Raven Maniac
February 3rd, 2021, 09:19 PM
SFA was also being facetious about the conference champs thing but as we all know, a sense of humor is one thing that Sam folks don’t have.

Oh I don't know. I always laugh after BOTPW.

TheRevSFA
February 4th, 2021, 08:17 AM
Oh I don't know. I always laugh after BOTPW.

I do too as it’s sad that’s the only game Sam alumni go to. I guess they don’t want to revisit the prison?

Good news is that y’all hired a marketing firm to go from horrendous to adequate.

TexasTerror
February 4th, 2021, 09:30 AM
I’d wait for the check to clear. Remember when Sam denied WAC rumors?

On the Bet FCS podcast, the WAC's media relations guy felt pretty comfortable in an automatic bid for '21 and that things were coming along. He even thought there was a chance something could be announced at this point. I believe the deadline for all sports in the NCAA landscape for 21-22 automatic bids has come and gone (Feb 1)

Daytripper
February 4th, 2021, 10:03 AM
I do too as it’s sad that’s the only game Sam alumni go to. I guess they don’t want to revisit the prison?

Good news is that y’all hired a marketing firm to go from horrendous to adequate.

Nice to see that the initial good feelings of common purpose created among the teams in the Texas 4 to the WAC was only temporary. The football universe is back in balance.

Raven Maniac
February 4th, 2021, 06:29 PM

That's the best you have? A prison jab? If we didn't keep your criminals where would you put them?

Puddin Tane
February 4th, 2021, 10:59 PM

I’m not a fan of the move, heck, I think Abilene is too far!

TheRevSFA
February 5th, 2021, 09:37 AM
Nice to see that the initial good feelings of common purpose created among the teams in the Texas 4 to the WAC was only temporary. The football universe is back in balance.

You're still my boy DT...

TheRevSFA
February 5th, 2021, 09:39 AM
That's the best you have? A prison jab? If we didn't keep your criminals where would you put them?

Oh..I wasn't trying to smack talk. I was being accurate. Your alumni suck at going back. It amazes me how you had one of the best teams in the past decade and still couldn't draw dick to your stadium. Is it bad marketing? Yes. It is that Sam is truly a suitcase college and no one wants to return? Yes.

Maybe the move to the WAC will bring back attendance. I think they should do BOTPW at the campus sites to help bring people back to Huntsville so they realize that there are 4-5 other games a year there.

Daytripper
February 5th, 2021, 10:43 AM
You're still my boy DT...

https://media.giphy.com/media/UjCXeFnYcI2R2/giphy.gif

Raven Maniac
February 5th, 2021, 10:46 AM
Oh..I wasn't trying to smack talk. I was being accurate. Your alumni suck at going back. It amazes me how you had one of the best teams in the past decade and still couldn't draw dick to your stadium. Is it bad marketing? Yes. It is that Sam is truly a suitcase college and no one wants to return? Yes.

Maybe the move to the WAC will bring back attendance. I think they should do BOTPW at the campus sites to help bring people back to Huntsville so they realize that there are 4-5 other games a year there.

To avoid COVID issues what was the enrollment at SFA in 2019?

Puddin Tane
February 5th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Attendance smack from sfa...

Coogkat15
February 5th, 2021, 03:14 PM

Sam is far from a suit case college. Game day environment sucks. Students rather go to the tailgates eat and go back to their dorms. Alumni rather go to Houston area games than come to Huntsville. That’s 100 percent on terrible marketing. You want to see what good marketing gets you? Check out GCU game day environment. But our problem is far from being a lost cause. I’ll take 20k Bearkats at the BOTPW or Houston games any day. That’s screams that if we get it right, which the WAC move tells me we plan on it, things can get real interesting

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 5th, 2021, 03:48 PM
Sam is far from a suit case college. Game day environment sucks. Students rather go to the tailgates eat and go back to their dorms. Alumni rather go to Houston area games than come to Huntsville. That’s 100 percent on terrible marketing. You want to see what good marketing gets you? Check out GCU game day environment. But our problem is far from being a lost cause. I’ll take 20k Bearkats at the BOTPW or Houston games any day. That’s screams that if we get it right, which the WAC move tells me we plan on it, things can get real interesting

Getting students engaged is a problem everywhere. Alabama, Notre Dame, Penn State, NDSU etc. all have trouble getting and keeping students at games. Hopefully there will be a novelty/"freshness" that will stirs up interest when it comes to attending sporting events in masses. Or, interest may further decline....

Getting Texans interested in games involving fellow Texas schools on the surface seems like an easy sell. As has been noted, for whatever reason that hasn't always been the case.

caribbeanhen
February 5th, 2021, 04:13 PM

I think you’re giving the marketers a bit too much credit

You either want to go the game or you don’t

Daytripper
February 5th, 2021, 04:47 PM
I think you’re giving the marketers a bit too much credit

You either want to go the game or you don’t

There has to be incentives, especially for students. There are just too many other options out there. I think they should give students a coupon as they enter before the game starts. If they stay until the 4 quarter they can redeem the coupon for condoms on the way out..

caribbeanhen
February 5th, 2021, 05:07 PM
There has to be incentives, especially for students. There are just too many other options out there. I think they should give students a coupon as they enter before the game starts. If they stay until the 4 quarter they can redeem the coupon for condoms on the way out..

good idea but do these kids even try to get laid anymore?

Daytripper
February 5th, 2021, 05:45 PM
good idea but do these kids even try to get laid anymore?

Not normally, but Bearkat football has been known to excite the libido. xrolleyesx

Raven Maniac
February 5th, 2021, 05:51 PM

The difference between SFA and Sam is location. When I taught in the little town of Groveton Friday night the football stands were full and standing room all around the field. They did not have cable or anything for entertainment so football was it. Sam has Houston, SFA has Lufkin.

Coogkat15
February 5th, 2021, 06:20 PM
The difference between SFA and Sam is location. When I taught in the little town of Groveton Friday night the football stands were full and standing room all around the field. They did not have cable or anything for entertainment so football was it. Sam has Houston, SFA has Lufkin.

I hear you and I think your points are valid, but I’m not sure that’s as relevant anymore. I attended Sam as a freshmen in 2009 and at that time we were very much a commuter school. I mean the town would empty on weekends, you could see the long line of cars headed to 45 from avenue 1 and it was astonishing.

But somewhere around 2012-2014 that stop being the case. Students stopped going home on weekends at started spending more time in Huntsville. Sam became more of a traditional university in that sense. In fact, I briefly worked for the U until 2019 and the locals complained all the time about it. “How they use to love weekends because students would go home.” So the students are there, the trick is getting them into the stadium (the whole game) and convincing alumni that traveling to Huntsville is worth their time. They’ll go to games in Houston, even the games at Prairie View were pretty well attended.

I think the renovations to Bowers is a step in the right direction. People love the shiny new thing. But we can’t waste that opportunity. If the renovations come without a change to the game day atmosphere then we’re right where we left off and honestly should’ve stayed in the SLC.

Daytripper
February 5th, 2021, 06:33 PM
I hear you and I think your points are valid, but I’m not sure that’s as relevant anymore. I attended Sam as a freshmen in 2009 and at that time we were very much a commuter school. I mean the town would empty on weekends, you could see the long line of cars headed to 45 from avenue 1 and it was astonishing.

But somewhere around 2012-2014 that stop being the case. Students stopped going home on weekends at started spending more time in Huntsville. Sam became more of a traditional university in that sense. In fact, I briefly worked for the U until 2019 and the locals complained all the time about it. “How they use to love weekends because students would go home.” So the students are there, the trick is getting them into the stadium (the whole game) and convincing alumni that traveling to Huntsville is worth their time. They’ll go to games in Houston, even the games at Prairie View were pretty well attended.

I think the renovations to Bowers is a step in the right direction. People love the shiny new thing. But we can’t waste that opportunity. If the renovations come without a change to the game day atmosphere then we’re right where we left off and honestly should’ve stayed in the SLC.

The biggest wasted opportunity was the Natty runs in '11 and '12, We had a window to really build on that success but our athletic administration dropped the ball.

Raven Maniac
February 5th, 2021, 06:35 PM

Great analysis. You should join our Facebook site. It is new, a closed site, and we have a few former athletes and parents that participate. I used to talk to Mickal when he ran the ticket office and gave a few suggestions which he actually implemented. I agree the WAC brand is far superior to the SLC. I have been watching WAC media and how it works. From what I have read broadcasts are free. Production truck software is provided to member institutions and they actually have a WAC media app which I downloaded on my AppleTV this week. The WAC Conference media is more unified and it seems much more organized. Sam needs quality apps, social media, and the staff to make it work. They also need a game day producer to make the events during the game flow. Needs to be coordinated where everything that happens works together.

caribbeanhen
February 5th, 2021, 06:37 PM
The biggest wasted opportunity was the Natty runs in '11 and '12, We had a window to really build on that success but our athletic administration dropped the ball.

Is Ryan Carty still your offensive coordinator? I remember thinking when he was hired this is not going to go so well, but I’m wrong a lot

Daytripper
February 5th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Is Ryan Carty still your offensive coordinator? I remember thinking when he was hired this is not going to go so well, but I’m wrong a lot

Yep.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l378rrt5tAawaCQ9i/giphy.gif

caribbeanhen
February 5th, 2021, 06:42 PM
Yep.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l378rrt5tAawaCQ9i/giphy.gif

I remember the first time I saw Sammy play on TV was against Stony Brook in that playoff game and the skinny kid was the quarterback

very creative and you guys built on it when Flanders was there

Now, Seems like it’s going backwards

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 5th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Carribeanhen,

I strolled over to Gohens.net early to get a feel of the room. A lot of despair over there. The thought of a Keeler statue next to the like of Tubby seems to have many Hen faithful in despair given the current state of the program.

UD football seems far too much like Nebraska. They turned their back on those most loyal to the program and it created a long lasting erosion of a proud tradition....

Daytripper
February 5th, 2021, 08:13 PM
I remember the first time I saw Sammy play on TV was against Stony Brook in that playoff game and the skinny kid was the quarterback

very creative and you guys built on it when Flanders was there

Now, Seems like it’s going backwards

Brian Bell. Dude was a winner. Now a very successful HS head coach in China Spring where he went to school. Would like to see him transition to Sam as an OC some day. Maybe an HC down the line.

Puddin Tane
February 5th, 2021, 08:33 PM
Another thing that hurts is the fans don’t travel worth a hoot. We get better crowds with Sam and mcneese, a lil bump from sfa, a littler bump from slu and Nichols, nada from hbu, uiw, acu or nw.

im guilty of that also. Been to nac and lake chuck. Never been to bowers. Always plan on it.....

caribbeanhen
February 5th, 2021, 10:08 PM
Carribeanhen,

I strolled over to Gohens.net early to get a feel of the room. A lot of despair over there. The thought of a Keeler statue next to the like of Tubby seems to have many Hen faithful in despair given the current state of the program.

UD football seems far too much like Nebraska. They turned their back on those most loyal to the program and it created a long lasting erosion of a proud tradition....

That’s just a couple of guys carrying on a feud thats been going on close to 10 years ....

One is a big KC fan and the other always points out that the Program started slipping under KC even though they went to three national championship games on KC’s watch

they both keep one eye on your board too

I’m sorry you had too see that

by the way, patience with Danny Rocco is running out

caribbeanhen
February 5th, 2021, 10:11 PM
Brian Bell. Dude was a winner. Now a very successful HS head coach in China Spring where he went to school. Would like to see him transition to Sam as an OC some day. Maybe an HC down the line.

Ah yes Brian Bell, name was on the tip of my tongue

VandalBasher
February 6th, 2021, 12:23 PM

I see this happening in the near future. Cal Poly gone. UC Davis gone, Sac St. gone. Maybe even Portland St. I also see The Torreros (USD) considering FCS scholarship football along with Azuza Pacific.

Baron Sardonicus
February 6th, 2021, 02:43 PM
I see this happening in the near future. Cal Poly gone. UC Davis gone, Sac St. gone. Maybe even Portland St. I also see The Torreros (USD) considering FCS scholarship football along with Azuza Pacific.

The only one of those concerned about geography is/was APU, which dropped football a couple months ago. Their D-II conference became untenable.

USD is happy in the PFL. We don't need to be NDSU. Got a nice schedule and an annual playoff spot with our name on it.

katss07
February 6th, 2021, 04:34 PM
I think it's unlikely the WAC is able to pull anyone else from the Big Sky, unless the perceived FBS move really resonates with Cal Poly, who already has known FBS aspirations.