PDA

View Full Version : G'town Scrimmage

89Hen
August 20th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Attended G'towns first scrimmage of the year and got a chance to see all the construction. :eek: No seating at all yet. Their first two games are on the road so they have a month to get the temporary bleachers up. Met up with LBPop and he said they've had the earth moving machines running almost non-stop. They've got a lot of work to do before they ever break ground on the permanent stands and facilities.

The scrimmage was pretty much normal for early season, the defense performed better than the offense for most of the day. Passing really struggled, but there were a couple of nice routes. I was disappointed that their 6'8" receiver didn't get any action (at least none I saw). QB's looked capable, RB's all looked small. Neither line was huge, but seemed quick. LB's and DB's were also very quick to the ball. Amazing that even in the first scrimmage there was quite a bit of intensity shown by some of the players.

I took a lot of pics and will try to get a couple up here. The one below shows the practice on the new field and the bleacher in the top right from the old football field about 100 feet above.

Hansel
August 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I don't remember that much elevation change in DC... is their practice field in a manmade "hole" ?

DFW HOYA
August 20th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Georgetown is on a hilltop, so there are quite a few elevations across the campus.

The Hoyas' former home (Kehoe Field) can be seen in the top of the photo. If you've seen a game there you know it will not be missed.

eagle36
August 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM
DO they have a 6'8" receiver. No where on the roster

DFW HOYA
August 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Here you go:

http://guhoyas.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kohl_jarrod00.html

eagle36
August 20th, 2005, 07:11 PM
He is a basketball player transfered from American and has NEVER played football before! He is just VERY tall!

DFW HOYA
August 20th, 2005, 07:27 PM
He is a basketball player transfered from American and has NEVER played football before! He is just VERY tall!

Kohl played four years in high school and chose basketball over football by signing with American. He transferred to Georgetown for football, however, and is not a basketball player there.

Georgetown had a 6-5 TE last year who was recruited for basketball as much as football coming out of high school in New Hampshire and opted for football, so it's not that uncommon.

89Hen
August 20th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Here he is....

89Hen
August 20th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Nick Cangelosi, G'town's QB that transferred from UNC after redshirt first year. Big, prototypical QB, he was working on some option plays here with the Associate HC John Perry.

89Hen
August 20th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Kim Sarin who was G'town's first 1,000 yard rusher was there in warm-ups to work out with the team. LBPop tells me his playing days are most likely done due to a back injury. Little guy, only 5'7"...

89Hen
August 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Even with 4-5K there, this could be a very loud place since it is absolutely sandwiched between a bunch of buildings. IMO it's going to be a really cool place to see a game.

89Hen
August 20th, 2005, 09:49 PM
No shortage of QB's on the roster. There were 7 green shirts, plus #10 was a QB but was lining up as a receiver today. Just read on his bio that he also played DB.

LBPop
August 21st, 2005, 08:08 PM
As our blue feathered friend said, we had the chance to meet at the Hoya scrimmage. I had my little digital camera with the 3X zoom (perfect for Dads without expertise) and Hen brought the long lens pro model. Great pics, 89, and thanks for the coverage. Also, he was the consummate DC politician. Under that Delaware hat I think I detected a Georgetown shirt. It was actually a class move...thanks for that, too.

The field looked great and we both noticed that the players were covered with those little black rubber pellets that I guess seep through the surface of the field turf. When I asked the young LB about it, his comment was that it "was better than dirt". I guess that's a generational thing. In my day, I could not imagine anything being "better than dirt". Spoke to one of the PKs and he said that they all love kicking off the stuff.

Hen's assessment of the team was right on in my opinion. While I do not think the QB position is set, both of the top candidates looked far better than in the spring. The Hoyas will be competitive--particularly on defense, but have they learned how to win?

89Hen
August 21st, 2005, 08:41 PM
Spoke to one of the PKs and he said that they all love kicking off the stuff.
Probably because the divots don't show up... except on film. ;)

Hansel
August 21st, 2005, 09:01 PM
great pics 89, that looks like it is going to be a really nice backdrop for a stadium

eagle36
August 22nd, 2005, 06:53 AM
Any ofense players seem to stand out? receivers?,

colgate13
August 22nd, 2005, 07:35 AM
great scouting work hen!

89Hen
August 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
great scouting work hen!
Hey now, don't get me in trouble with the Hoyas. I gave you no good info. :p

89Hen
August 22nd, 2005, 09:00 AM
Any ofense players seem to stand out? receivers?,
I'd have to say unfortunately none that I noticed. During drills the one receiver I noticed with some good hands was that #10 I mentioned earlier that was a QB and DB in the past.

LBPop
August 22nd, 2005, 09:09 AM
great scouting work hen!

What he didn't tell you is that Georgetown has applied to the NCAA for permission to bring back a 2001 DB for the last game this year. Seems only fair, don't you agree? :rolleyes:

colgate13
August 22nd, 2005, 10:18 AM
What he didn't tell you is that Georgetown has applied to the NCAA for permission to bring back a 2001 DB for the last game this year. Seems only fair, don't you agree? :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm fine with it. They keep that up, I think I've got a year of eligiblity left... :)

LBPop
August 22nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
I think I've got a year of eligiblity left... :)

Hey, if you wanna transfer to Georgetown for that one year, I can put you in touch with the proper authorities. ;) :p :D

hoya4ever
August 22nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Here he is....

Actually that is not him. That guy just has his number for a practise jersey.

89Hen
August 22nd, 2005, 12:04 PM
Actually that is not him. That guy just has his number for a practise jersey.
Sorry. :o I took (kept) over 150 pics. This kid looked like the 6'8" receiver, I'll have to go through my pix again. I was standing with LBPop when we noticed the height, he really stood out.

eagle36
August 24th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Anyone going to scrimmage tomorrow and what time is it at 9AM or 1PM?

LBPop
August 24th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Anyone going to scrimmage tomorrow and what time is it at 9AM or 1PM?
It has been moved to 9:00 AM (at least that's what I was told). I'm planning to drop by for about an hour.