PDA

View Full Version : Portland State's Jerry Glanville on ESPN

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I am surprised no one talked about the 5-minute segment on ESPN Tuesday about Portland State and how Coach Glanville is trying to turn things around there in Oregon.

What I liked - his attitude towards his players: he expects excellence and hard work, but treats them with respect not ever cussing or allowing it from his staff or players. He understands it takes money, and a lot of money, to turn things around. An ugly reality of college football at all levels.

What i don't like - (paraphrasing the Coach) "Yeah, we wanna be a division 1 team. We'll take on Notre Dame, or Oregon, or whoever is willing to take us on..." This quote was mostly in reference to the fact that he had called 31 FBS teams and could not schedule a game. He recalled a conversation with Oregon's head coach who said, "Sorry, we just scheduled Central Michigan for the 2010 game in early Sept. But I'll be gone in 2013, you can have that game for all I care."

I appreciate his insights into the AD / Coaching world. We can only imagine the conversations that took place with ASU's admin and the rest of Div 1 schools (of BOTH subdivisions). Sounds like Portland St. has the same problem scheduling in-state school Oregon that JMU has had in trying to get a another game with in-state foe UVA since we embarrassed them in the early 1980s.

Glanville is a great salesman for PSU, and his teamwork with his fellow coaches was portrayed very strongly in the piece. It sound as if PSU should be a tougher team over the next few years, and with increased attendance, a more difficult venue for the other Big Sky teams.

Good Luck Vikings! xthumbsupx Great publicity for everyone!

SuperJon
July 6th, 2007, 03:18 PM
It took a week for this to come on here? This was on Outside The Lines on Sunday morning. I figured there'd be an outcry by Sunday night.

bobbythekidd
July 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
What do they have to turn around? 7-4 is pretty good.

Mountain Panther
July 6th, 2007, 03:44 PM
What do they have to turn around?

Beating Montana this year would be a good start.

NE MT GRIZZ
July 6th, 2007, 03:48 PM
What do they have to turn around? 7-4 is pretty good.

I agree. Two of the 4 losses were to strong FBS teams.
PSU should have been in the Playoffs.

KAUMASS
July 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM

I also agree. PSU should have been in the playoffs.

Mr. C
July 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I saw the piece when it ran on Sports Center. I thought they did a nice job on it and Glanville and Mouse Davis came across very well. That is the type of thing we need to help promote FCS.

CSUBUCDAD
July 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Jerry will do alot to bring more attention and respect to the FCS. He may be a little unorthodox in his method, but he gets results and his players always respect him.

Grizo406
July 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I'm always worried about Montana State, but our game with PSU this year, is the one that really scares me.

Coach Glanville has nothing to do with it...its what Mouse Davis brings to the table that does.

RE/MAXGriz
July 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
PSU's problem is money too, they played 3 1-A schools last year going 1-2 against them. I believe the game against Cal PSU lost their starting QB and some other players, Boise St also thumped them good too. The paydays were decent but both games really set back PSU on the field, IMO.

PSU I believe is playing San Diego St and is at McNeese St this year, a much better schedule to make a statement about how good they are rather than playing at Boise at Cal and at SJSU (think thats who it was).

Grizalltheway
July 6th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I saw the piece when it ran on Sports Center. I thought they did a nice job on it and Glanville and Mouse Davis came across very well. That is the type of thing we need to help promote FCS.

I think we all know the only reason it got any airtime on sportscenter...xrolleyesx

GeeWiz
July 6th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I saw it Tuesday on Sportscenter.

I thought it was a good piece. Typical Glanville enthusiasim. I didn't realize Mouse Davis was the OC there.

Thought Glanville telling the conversation he had w/ Mike Belotti about scheduling U. Oregon was hilarous. Basically said "We're all booked up until 2013, but since I won't be here in 2013...have at it!"

LOL! xlolx

g-webb1994
July 7th, 2007, 09:21 AM
If Belotti is still at Oregon come say 2011 or 2012 and is trying to recruit, that quote will come back and burn him big time.

Glanville is nuts, but a decent coach that will have that stadium in Portland full at some point. Maybe he can have Chuck Noll in for a guest visit?:eek:

Mr. C
July 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I think we all know the only reason it got any airtime on sportscenter...xrolleyesx

No matter the reason, it was a great bit of exposure for Portland State, the Big Sky Conference and FCS. I loved the enthusiasm that Glanville showed during the piece. And I've heard about how hard he, Davis and others have been working there in the off-season to promote the program and build season ticket sales. It has all been very positive.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 7th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure that part of the piece about scheduling FBS opponents is accurate any longer. That's all I have to say on the matter.... xreadx

laxVik
July 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I'm not a huge Glanville fan, but his enthusiasm (albeit over the top at times) has translated to more donations, more ticket sales and growing interest in the program, both in the city and nationally. It's exactly what the program needed lost in a fickle sports city. I mean for Pete's sake they averaged 12K a game a year ago for professional indoor lacrosse but the Viks had issues trying to average more than 7k in the stands. I think we'll see an average this year closer to 10-11K. Maybe more if the W's come. Mouse as well is a legend in PDX and the buzz has been great for the team and the school. And at the right time to boot. We can only hope the momentum can sustain itself.

wannabegaucho
July 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I want Glanville and PSU to do good, and obviously to stay in FCS for a long while as long as it is a "commuter campus" and not getting huge huge support.

And is Bellotti really gonna retire in 2013? I bet he is fired before then.

Casey_Orourke
July 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Personally I think that Oregon is about to go into a downhill slide and Oregon State will resume its normal position of doormat of the Pac 10. Once that happens both teams will be clammoring for opponents which they might view as easy victories to pad their records, because they won't have that many conference wins to show for their season.

ucdtim17
July 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I don't think there's much evidence to support the theory that OSU is returning to the gutter - they finished 21st last year and are expanding the stadium once again

JALMOND
July 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM

1-2 against FBS teams (Cal, Oregon and New Mexico), all three played in FBS bowl games last year. It would be a big feather in his cap if a Glanville led Viking team can beat the Griz in Missoula, something we have not done since we joined FCS. The way scheduling has worked with the Vikings and Oregon and Oregon State in the past is that, if someone backs out of a commitment with the Ducks or Beavers, PSU gets first shot at playing them, provided the schedules can be worked out. Last year, the New Mexico game was scheduled, the Cal game came as an opportunity to make some money for the program, so we moved the McNeese return game to this year and scheduled Cal. Oregon lost a game when Utah (I think) backed out at the last minute, so we took the money, the Ducks "bought out" Southern Oregon (same education system, if that is a buy out, then fine) for us and we played the Ducks instead of SOU. Won at New Mexico, and lost to both Pac-10 schools. All three played in bowl games at the higher level (even UNM), yet Portland State stayed home.

already123
July 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM
As an avid NAU fan, I dont give 2 farts about PSU....However, it is always great to see FCS get the national attention and spotlight that it deserves! As a BSC fan and advocate of FCS play, I couldnt have been happier to see PSU on ESPN. Best of luck to PSU and the BSC! (except against NAU xthumbsupx )