PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of your team making the playoffs...

ChickenMan
August 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I'd say Delaware's chances are 50/50 at best. The Hens had some questions heading into the preseason and injuries have only made things more difficult. Although UD is capable of anything from 6-5 to 9-2... too many things will have to go well for UD to get to the eight wins needed for a playoff bid. My guess is 7-4.

Killtoppers90
August 20th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I'd say that WKU will make the playoffs again to continue our streak. And look out, we might even win a game this season there too!

Hansel
August 20th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Highly unlikely

ngineer
August 20th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I would say Lehigh's chances are about 80%. The significant parity among the top four teams (Lehigh, Colgate, Fordham and Lafayette) makes for a good possibility of a shared title, again--and even a possible 3-way. Someone, there, would get left out in the cold. But on balance, I think we are one of the top two teams in the league and should get in. Wins over UD and/Harvard won't hurt either.

cosmo here
August 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I would say Lehigh's chances are about 80%. The significant parity among the top four teams (Lehigh, Colgate, Fordham and Lafayette) makes for a good possibility of a shared title, again--and even a possible 3-way. Someone, there, would get left out in the cold. But on balance, I think we are one of the top two teams in the league and should get in. Wins over UD and/Harvard won't hurt either.

80% . . that means there's a 1 in 5 chance Lehigh doesn't make it. Last year, winning eight straight after losing to Villanova and then losing at Lafayette, Lehigh had to sweat it out on Sunday. And the PL usually doesn't get a second team in. With the 'significant parity' and non-league games vs. Delaware and Harvard, I think you're overly generous.

Tribe4SF
August 20th, 2005, 10:36 AM
With 6-8 teams having a realistic shot in the A-10, I don't think anyone's odds are better than 50-50. I just came from the Tribes first scrimmage, and based on the play of the two QBs, I do expect us to be in the mix.

ISUMatt
August 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Id say realistically Illinois State has a less than 5% chance to make the playoffs... more like 1% because Id never say never!!!

tribe ol
August 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM
4SF,

Would love to hear your observations on the scrimmage if you have time to post...

txstatebobcat
August 20th, 2005, 10:55 AM
We can only afford to lose one OOC game and one conference matchup. While its certainly possible, all kinds of things could go wrong.

Tribe4SF
August 20th, 2005, 11:41 AM
4SF,

Would love to hear your observations on the scrimmage if you have time to post...

Will post on CAA temporary board.

tribe ol
August 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks so much!

catbob
August 20th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I'd say the Cats chances are pretty decent, but not sound by any means.

We have very winnable conference games against NAU, ISU, Weber, Sac St and PSU. We should hold an advantage in those games though I can see us losing to NAU and possibly PSU if they live up to the hype.

But then we have a road game vs EWU and then travel back to Bozeman to play the Griz.

Good news is 3 of our last 4 are at home, but that one road game is agains EWU.

I can see us making the playoffs, but with our hard OOC schedule (NDSU, Cal Poly, SFA, Ok St), and 2 top5 ranked teams in our conference, we are going to have to lose no more than 2 conference games to hopefully get a share (I think we have the chance to win it outright but we are a typically injury prone team), and if we win 3 OOC games then we can lose a couple conference games and maybe still get at at large bid with an 8-3 record, considering how difficult our schedule is this year.

I give us a 65% chance, maybe 70%.

rcny46
August 20th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I agree with Tribe4SF's logic when he says that he doubts anyone's chances are better than 50/50.I can envision UNH losing 4 or 5,and that will negate their chances this year IMHO.

JaxSinfonian
August 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Fair-to-middlin'.

If JSU doesn't win the OVC, they'd better have put a hurtin' on Furman, UTC and UAB.

igo4uni
August 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Id say realistically Illinois State has a less than 5% chance to make the playoffs... more like 1% because Id never say never!!!

I don't want you to think that I'm piling on, Matt, but you probably are correct on this issue. Who knows, though. The Redbirds could beat WKU and SIU and win the rest of their conference games (except vs. UNI of course) and get into the playoffs.

You may just have to wait for Basketball season!! :D :D

peace

igo4uni

youwouldno
August 20th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Very high (Furman)

th0m
August 20th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I have no idea. Although it sounds like a broken record, because of the conference slate I have no idea. What I do know is that a lot of people expect us to.

Pantherpower
August 20th, 2005, 02:02 PM
UNI can't have the let down game this year. If they avoid that, I'd say their chances of getting in the playoffs are better than average.

poharry
August 20th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Slim and none and none is going for the door right now.

saint0917
August 20th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I would say Umass has about a 75 to 80% chance of making the playoffs. They should start off the year 6-0, 5-1. The last 5 will be tough. Out of those 5 Umass only has one home game. Should end the year at 9-2, 8-3.

@ Maine
New Hampshire, Home
@ Delaware
@ Army
@ Hofstra

eaglesrthe1
August 20th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I say an 80% chance for the Eagles

Sam Adams
August 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM
You just never know in the A10. The league is just so tough its easy to imagine losing games you think you should win and then pulling an upset on the road. UMass is pretty well loaded with lots of depth on offense and an emerging defense. I'd give them a 70% chance at finishing 8-3 and getting a bid.

dungeonjoe
August 20th, 2005, 07:37 PM
always a threesome in the SoCon making it to the playoffs. Wofford can only lose two games on the SoCon schedule if we hope to go... I'd say it will hinge on the APpSt game. I'd say WoCo has about a 3 in 10 shot of going.

Ronbo
August 20th, 2005, 07:54 PM
This would be our 13th straight playoff. (Knock on wood). If I was superstitious (stroking rabbits foot) I would be very scared that we might have a bad year. (Kissing my horseshoe). Hope we don't have an injury marred season that kills our playoff chances. Hang on, where's my 4 leaf clover, I've lost my 4 leaf clover! It was right here in my wallet, where is that damn thing? Oh there it is. Whew! That would have done us in for sure. ;)

ngineer
August 20th, 2005, 09:53 PM
80% . . that means there's a 1 in 5 chance Lehigh doesn't make it. Last year, winning eight straight after losing to Villanova and then losing at Lafayette, Lehigh had to sweat it out on Sunday. And the PL usually doesn't get a second team in. With the 'significant parity' and non-league games vs. Delaware and Harvard, I think you're overly generous.

I see your point, but my view is that "all things being equal" Lehigh goes 6-0 or 5-1 in the league and we win at least one of the major OOC games with Delaware and Harvard. At 9-2, we go either with the auto or selection. At 8-3, very doubtful, but I see the odds of us going 8-3 at about 1 in 5.
No question that if we lose a few key players to injury, the formula changes, but no one can forecast that.

blukeys
August 20th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I'd say Delaware's chances are 50/50 at best. The Hens had some questions heading into the preseason and injuries have only made things more difficult. Although UD is capable of anything from 6-5 to 9-2... too many things will have to go well for UD to get to the eight wins needed for a playoff bid. My guess is 7-4.

What you said CM

GreatAppSt
August 20th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I think the Apps can make it, our schedule thinks we can't. We'll see soon enough.

JMU2004
August 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM
50% or lower for JMU.....if we were in any other conference, 80% or higher

JMU is loaded....and if anyone wants to be scared, we are even MORE loaded in 2006.

McNeese75
August 21st, 2005, 11:59 AM
:confused: :eek: :rotateh: :bawling: :mad:

Probably not, most likely no way!

blukeys
August 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM
:confused: :eek: :rotateh: :bawling: :mad:

Probably not, most likely no way!

So what's the likely opening date of the Crapsville Bar in Lake Charles? ;) ;) ;)

McNeese75
August 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM
So what's the likely opening date of the Crapsville Bar in Lake Charles? ;) ;) ;)

Oh I figure we will be undefeated until conference play begins and then the bloodletting will begin so probably not until late October or so :eek: :D

kats89
August 21st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Depends on how the receiving corp plays out. Couple of these guys break through and we could see a run like last year again. Will wait until conference starts to make a more educated guess.

Sly Fox
August 21st, 2005, 02:26 PM
At Liberty we frown on making odds. :D

That said, we are a MAJOR longshot. But anything is possible.

UAalum72
August 21st, 2005, 02:57 PM
At Liberty we frown on making odds. :D

Then don't make odds. Call it a math problem and calculate the probabilities (for entertainment purposes only, not for gambling).

For example, I figure Albany's probability of going undefeated this year is about 0.000159% . This would get us to the selection committee, where the chance of being selected would be MUCH worse (unless UMass, Maine and Hofstra still finish 1-2-3 in the A-10 and Fordham wins the Patriot) because any playoff-league team that loses to an NEC squad is obviously not very good.

Husky Alum
August 21st, 2005, 03:06 PM
NU's chances for the playoffs... slim and next to none. Here's why....

1. Too many question marks at QB and on D (LB and in the backfield).

2. A-10 is as loaded as it has been in ages.

3. OOC schedule is suicide.

I say about 10% if I were placing odds.

eagleskins
August 21st, 2005, 07:00 PM
Oh I figure we will be undefeated until conference play begins and then the bloodletting will begin so probably not until late October or so :eek: :D

McNeese is going to beat GSU in Statesboro? Don't think so buddy.

McNeese75
August 21st, 2005, 09:55 PM
McNeese is going to beat GSU in Statesboro? Don't think so buddy.

:D OH, you caught that little jab did ya ;)

We just expect to have a good time before and after the game at a minimum and hopefully will be able to enjoy the inbetween without too much discomfort. :p

blukeys
August 21st, 2005, 09:56 PM
Save me a seat. I drink Jack on the rocks. ;) :) :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

golionsgo
August 21st, 2005, 11:13 PM
We're probably not at the point in our program where we're ready to make a playoff push but I do think we're good enough to spoil someone else's chance.

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Save me a seat. I drink Jack on the rocks. ;) :) :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

xprost2x Would you like to preorder any appetizers Sir? Myself, I will be having the crab cakes with my Crown and Seven.

buckp
August 22nd, 2005, 09:42 AM
xprost2x Would you like to preorder any appetizers Sir? Myself, I will be having the crab cakes with my Crown and Seven.

Make mine a double, 75........I'm starting to get nervous over our first game! ;)

Reed Rothchild
August 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
I'd say UNI's chances are strong to quite strong. Favorable schedule with 1 tough conference game at WKU. But the Panthers need to watch out for those "letdown" games that always seem to trouble them (Ill St in '01) 9-2 or 8-3 will get them in

Dukester
August 22nd, 2005, 10:00 AM
We (JMU) enter the A10 season with the most overall talent and experience - but we also face the most difficult conference road schedule. That said, if we keep our QB healthy I say 60% we make the playoffs.

:)

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2005, 11:46 AM
Make mine a double, 75........I'm starting to get nervous over our first game! ;)

I am excited about it (well nervous maybe) but if we slip on that one, Its gonna be a looooooooooooooong ride :(

blukeys
August 22nd, 2005, 12:04 PM

Crab Cakes works for me we love them up here. :beerchug:

OL FU
August 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
Very high (Furman)

Ditto

Ivytalk
August 22nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Slim and none, and Slim just left town!

Thank YOU, Ivy League presidents! :mad:

colgate13
August 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
I'd put Colgate in the 25-35% range, based on chances of winning the autobid.

Throw in a one loss to a PL team winning the title and going 10-1, in as an at-large with a UMass W. I'd put those odds under 5%.

Pard94
August 23rd, 2005, 09:53 AM

That's right Cosmo, set him straight!

LetsGoNova
August 23rd, 2005, 10:46 AM
I'd say Villanova is probably on the lower end of the playoff contenders in the A-10. Our schedule is suicidal, with a I-A and only four home games. A lot of question marks on defense and the O-line has to step it up. I'll say 25% if I have to give a %.

putter
August 23rd, 2005, 10:54 AM
Griz have 50/50 shot

OL FU
August 23rd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Griz have 50/50 shot

Cautious? or is there a good reason to believe that it might not be 14 (is that correct?) in a row?

Black and Gold Express
August 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Talentwise I think we're back to being playoff caliber. But what will do us in is that we're likely to only have 1-2 quality wins max this year with our schedule.

What we need is the autobid, which will be tough. Our best hope, realistically, is to be 2-2 in OOC. Say we split with GSU and Furman (I'm going to say W at home against GSU, L on the road to Furman), and run the table the rest of the way, at 8-3, 6-1 we should get a share of the crown unless Furman runs the table at 7-0 (a good possibility).

Some ASU folks seem to think 7-4 with our schedule gives us a good shot to get in, but unless at least one of those wins is from KU/FU/GSU/LSU, I would wonder where the quality wins come from. I don't think the committe would see Wofford, EKU, and CCU all as quality wins, but that could be our salvation.

Either way, we have to get over this road losing hump, which hopefully we do in week 1 at EKU. No small task, but if we don't, I think there is a real possibility of the road becoming this Mental Monster that screws us in the ground harder each week. That is, until we beat Elon to snap it, worst case. ;)

As for my pick, I'll put us at 35% chance right now. It's a lot to ask of this team, but it's not like the pieces are not in place to do it. We just have to be near-perfect in our I-AA schedule.

putter
August 23rd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Cautious? or is there a good reason to believe that it might not be 14 (is that correct?) in a row?

I think we are definitely playoff calibur and can go deep again- especially with our defense. I think with a new QB and a more balanced Big Sky that we can not afford any letdowns this year as Eastern Washington, Montana State and Portland State can get in as well as Northern Arizona so there is not much room for error this year.

ChiefGSU275
August 24th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Slim and none, and Slim just left town!

Thank YOU, Ivy League presidents! :mad:

LOL!! That is funny right there!!

As for GSU, I think we will be in. We will have some question marks early, but I think we have the talent to at least share the conference title, if not win it outright, but I think that will hinge on our trip to Boone. The Furman game I am more confident in because we are at home and will have had time for our team to gel.