PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: UTRGV to Add Football by 2024

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2021, 09:42 AM
Huge news coinciding with the WAC announcement(s) today in Houston.

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley has submitted a letter of intent to begin an FCS football program within five years, according to an email obtained by Texas Football.

UTRGV is targeting the 2023 season to begin a program, but has committed to begin the program by 2024. The news comes on the same day that the Western Athletic Conference is expected to announce the return of football.

The creation of a football program has long been rumored in the football-crazed Rio Grande Valley with studies being done to estimate cost. However, the university had not committed to investing in a Division I football program until the WAC opted to bring back football.

Texas Football (https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/01/14/utrgv-commits-to-add-fcs-football-by-2024?ref=article_preview_img)

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Bienvenidos Vaqueros! That makes 10 I-AA/FCS schools in Texas and 22 Division I football programs overall.

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Bienvenidos Vaqueros! That makes 10 I-AA/FCS schools in Texas and 22 Division I football programs overall.

And the number will only grow in the coming years with the intended WAC/SLC additions that we are all expecting to see in the coming weeks (days?)

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2021, 10:01 AM
And the number will only grow in the coming years with the intended WAC/SLC additions that we are all expecting to see in the coming weeks (days?)

Still can't figure out why UTA (between Maverick Stadium, Globe Life Field or even Jerry World) could not revive football there. Tons of talent within an hour of the campus.

katss07
January 14th, 2021, 10:07 AM
Can't imagine they're going to be FCS very long; I'm sure some of the FBS buzz is coming from the fact that UTRGV is making this move. UT system will want them to be FBS, much like what happened with UTSA.

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2021, 10:09 AM
Still can't figure out why UTA (between Maverick Stadium, Globe Life Field or even Jerry World) could not revive football there. Tons of talent within an hour of the campus.

The UT system adding football programs in San Antonio and Edinburg in the last two decades has got to make UT-Arlington ask, why not us? I am curious how much the conversation changes in the coming week(s) surrounding Arlington and football. If there's more "noise" or "chatter" from the media, alumni, etc. because of this addition.

slycat
January 14th, 2021, 11:11 AM
Good for UTRGV. It seems like there has been some chatter lately at UTA but nothing indicating a move is coming soon. This may push them. The old Rangers baseball stadium would love another tenant and may help with costs like how UTSA didn't have to fork out money for a stadium. With the financial strains of college due to COVID, now may not be the best time for them.

An option could be for UTA football only to start in the WAC to control costs and if it makes sense move up to FBS in the Sun Belt.

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Good for UTRGV. It seems like there has been some chatter lately at UTA but nothing indicating a move is coming soon. This may push them. The old Rangers baseball stadium would love another tenant and may help with costs like how UTSA didn't have to fork out money for a stadium. With the financial strains of college due to COVID, now may not be the best time for them.

An option could be for UTA football only to start in the WAC to control costs and if it makes sense move up to FBS in the Sun Belt.

The WAC would probably be down with UT-Arlington football as an affiliate. Helps with scheduling.

With UTRGV + mystery Div II school coming into the league, that's nine football schools which gives everyone four home/four away (or in the case of SHSU & SFA, rotating 4/3 due to BOTPW)

Anthony215
January 14th, 2021, 11:32 AM
Huge news coinciding with the WAC announcement(s) today in Houston.

[/FONT]
Texas Football (https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/01/14/utrgv-commits-to-add-fcs-football-by-2024?ref=article_preview_img)

Would they have the money to build a football stadium to meet FBS requirements if they're desire is to eventually be a FBS program after jump starting the program at the FCS rankings. I would think if FBS is the ultimate goal in the near future they'd have to build an state of the art FCS stadium to hold 15k with expansion up to 30-35k in the future.

Laker
January 14th, 2021, 11:54 AM
I'm wondering how long it will be before UVU adds football. I watched the WAC press conference and he said Utah Valley was the biggest school in the state. They could use some identity.

I remember when Grand Canyon was D2 and said that they would be starting football. Then the move came to D1 and that ended. I wonder if they will reconsider?

Edit: I saw that GCU said they have no plans for football at this time and plan to be basketball centric.

Oh, and Chicago State is leaving the WAC in June of 2022.

Baron Sardonicus
January 14th, 2021, 12:04 PM
Loved the Roman conquest theme music in their announcement video. I wonder how long the non-football schools will stay in this conference. Hard to see how the situation is improving for Seattle or Cal Baptist.

Schism55
January 14th, 2021, 12:52 PM

dgtw
January 14th, 2021, 01:39 PM
Loved the Roman conquest theme music in their announcement video. I wonder how long the non-football schools will stay in this conference. Hard to see how the situation is improving for Seattle or Cal Baptist.

Seattle seems like a better fit for the WCC. I don’t know if Cal Baptist would fit in with all those Catholics but it would give them another SoCal member and puts the league at 12 if both go. I wonder if the WAC would try to give them a gentle push out the door.

Grand Canyon probably has the money but doesn’t seem interested in football.

Don’t know what UVU is thinking.

Is Chicago State leaving on their own or were they kicked out?

The WAC finally seems to have stability with schools actually leaving a viable conference to join. They no longer need warm bodies so getting rid of the dead weight is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2021, 01:46 PM

Leaving on their own, but nowhere to go. By June 2022, they may be an independent.

https://www.gocsucougars.com/news/2021/1/14/general-chicago-state-university-announces-plan-to-leave-western-athletic-conference-in-june-2022.aspx

Baron Sardonicus
January 14th, 2021, 02:19 PM
New Mexico State's AD says he's just happy to see these "brand name" schools joining.

But he's drooling all over his mask, talking about the possibility of WAC FBS football after 2025. That's what this is really about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pbkuxmP1-1Y

katss07
January 14th, 2021, 02:25 PM
Sam Houston State AD Bobby Williams said the talk of an FBS move was a very big factor in leaving the Southland for the WAC. They looked into going FBS about a decade ago, around the same time TXST made the move, and decided to wait. He states it's "been on the agenda for quite a while now". Talks about the success Sam has had in football and how joining the WAC could elevate the program sooner rather than later.

nickp
January 14th, 2021, 03:02 PM
RGV is a great community the area loves football and has some very competitive High School teams

slycat
January 14th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Sam Houston State AD Bobby Williams said the talk of an FBS move was a very big factor in leaving the Southland for the WAC. They looked into going FBS about a decade ago, around the same time TXST made the move, and decided to wait. He states it's "been on the agenda for quite a while now". Talks about the success Sam has had in football and how joining the WAC could elevate the program sooner rather than later.

I could see SHSU, SFA, and ACU making the jump but none of the others. I just don't see how they support it financially. Even those three would have major facility upgrades to undertake. Though CCU proved you can do it after you move up. ACU has a pretty new stadium that I assume can be expanded.

NY Crusader 2010
January 14th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Seattle seems like a better fit for the WCC. I don’t know if Cal Baptist would fit in with all those Catholics but it would give them another SoCal member and puts the league at 12 if both go. I wonder if the WAC would try to give them a gentle push out the door.

Grand Canyon probably has the money but doesn’t seem interested in football.

Don’t know what UVU is thinking.

The WAC finally seems to have stability with schools actually leaving a viable conference to join. They no longer need warm bodies so getting rid of the dead weight is possible.

Slim chance the WCC would invite Cal Baptist. Better chance they end up in the Big West with all the UC schools and Hawaii. Seattle might end up in the same boat. The WCC doesn't add new members very often. In the last 20 years I only recall them adding BYU and Pacific. BYU an obvious decision given their clout on a national scale, Pacific joined from the Big West after a couple of notable NCAA Tournament runs when they had former #1 overall pick Michael Olowakandi. Other than that, WCC membership has been pretty static.

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2021, 07:28 PM
So...does the Baylor of the West add football?

http://cbubanner.com/2012/02/03/football-in-the-future/

dgtw
January 14th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Slim chance the WCC would invite Cal Baptist. Better chance they end up in the Big West with all the UC schools and Hawaii. Seattle might end up in the same boat. The WCC doesn't add new members very often. In the last 20 years I only recall them adding BYU and Pacific. BYU an obvious decision given their clout on a national scale, Pacific joined from the Big West after a couple of notable NCAA Tournament runs when they had former #1 overall pick Michael Olowakandi. Other than that, WCC membership has been pretty static.

Seattle was previously a member of the WCC 1971-80. Pacific left in 1972 and returned in 2013 so it isn’t unprecedented.

Baron Sardonicus
January 14th, 2021, 08:20 PM
Re: football at Cal Baptist, "Baylor of the West"...

It says a lot that the only piece written on the subject is from a student publication eight years ago.

Baron Sardonicus
January 14th, 2021, 08:30 PM
After reading more of this thread, I'm beginning to understand how screwed the WAC's non-football schools will be. The WCC won't be calling. They'll have to suck it up for now.