PDA

View Full Version : USA Today I-AA preview & poll

BDKJMU
July 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I apologize if someone has already posted this. Bought the USA Today College Football Preview which is mostly Div I-A previews, but also includes a brief I-AA preview along with DII and DIII, and has the complete Div I-A and Div I-AA schedules (the magazine, like others, ignores the FCS/FBS monikers and uses I-A, I-AA). The preview I bought in the Philly area has the Rutgers tailback & so called Heisman hopeful on the cover. I guess they have different guys on the cover for different areas of the country. I can't find an online version of the preview issue that shows the poll, but here's their I-AA preseason poll:
1. ASU
2. UMass
3. YSU
4. Montana
5. UNH
6. Wofford
7. NDS
8. ISU
9. McNeese St
10. JMU
11. S. Ill
12. Furman
13. Portland St
14. C. Ark
15. Tenn-Martin
16. UNI
17.MSU
18. Hampton
19. CC
20. Cal Poly
21. E. Ill
22. UD
23. Yale
24. Lehigh
25. UR

If someone can find a link, great. USA Today's site currently doesn't have one that has the pre season poll listed.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070625/dcm003.html?.v=85

The page I-AA preview is half ASU and the other half has a paragraph on UMass, a paragraph on UNH & Santos, a paragraph on the Southern Conference metioning Furman & Wofford, a paragraph on Montana, a paragraph on YSU, a paragraph on S. Ill & UNI in the Gateway & a paragraph on Portland State & Sam Houston State. Nothing on JMU. Then there is a whole another article on the ASU at Michgan game, being Michigan's 1st ever game against a I-AA team playing the back to back I-AA national champs, and mentions also on Sept 1 Ohio St. will host YSU. It lists 10 players in I-AA to watch, and lists Tony Lezotte, and includes 2 more CAA players, Flacco and Ball. ASU is the only team with 2 players (Lynch & Richardson) highlighted. xcoffeex

Coastal89
July 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Nothing on San Diego?xrotatehx

TexasTerror
July 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Surprised to see UCA being ranked amongst the top 25 of another preseason poll...they had a great year last year, but lose a lot...

NDSUFREAK
July 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM
FCS Bud.....
even if they don't post it as it i would say to use it anyway

Grizalltheway
July 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM
UMass and YSU both ahead of Montana? Isn't this supposed to be based on how a team looks for this season, not how they did last year? Talk about east-coast bias. xrolleyesx

Mountain Panther
July 4th, 2007, 07:23 PM
UMass and YSU both ahead of Montana? Isn't this supposed to be based on how a team looks for this season, not how they did last year? Talk about east-coast bias. xrolleyesx

Yeah, and UNI 16? That's why it's a bad poll.

Col Hogan
July 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM
UMass at 2 xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

A little too high IMHO....

GreenDay17
July 4th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I apologize if someone has already posted this. Bought the USA Today College Football Preview which is mostly Div I-A previews, but also includes a brief I-AA preview along with DII and DIII, and has the complete Div I-A and Div I-AA schedules (the magazine, like others, ignores the FCS/FBS monikers and uses I-A, I-AA). The preview I bought in the Philly area has the Rutgers tailback & so called Heisman hopeful on the cover. I guess they have different guys on the cover for different areas of the country. I can't find an online version of the preview issue that shows the poll, but here's their I-AA preseason poll:
1. ASU
2. UMass
3. YSU
4. Montana
5. UNH
6. Wofford
7. NDS
8. ISU
9. McNeese St
10. JMU
11. S. Ill
12. Furman
13. Portland St
14. C. Ark
15. Tenn-Martin
16. UNI
17.MSU
18. Hampton
19. CC
20. Cal Poly
21. E. Ill
22. UD
23. Yale
24. Lehigh
25. UR

If someone can find a link, great. USA Today's site currently doesn't have one that has the pre season poll listed.

The page I-AA preview is half ASU and the other half has a paragraph on UMass, a paragraph on UNH & Santos, a paragraph on the Southern Conference metioning Furman & Wofford, a paragraph on Montana, a paragraph on YSU, a paragraph on S. Ill & UNI in the Gateway & a paragraph on Portland State & Sam Houston State. Nothing on JMU. Then there is a whole another article on the ASU at Michgan game, being Michigan's 1st ever game against a I-AA team playing the back to back I-AA national champs, and mentions also on Sept 1 Ohio St. will host YSU. It lists 10 players in I-AA to watch, and lists Tony Lezotte, and includes 2 more CAA players, Flacco and Ball. ASU is the only team with 2 players (Lynch & Richardson) highlighted. xcoffeex

I'm certainly surprised to see Idaho State ranked so highly. ;)

VT Wildcat Fan53
July 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM

Ahead of Michigan State @ 16, too! xlolx

GOKATS
July 4th, 2007, 10:11 PM
1. ASU
2. UMass
3. YSU
4. Montana
5. UNH
6. Wofford
7. NDS
8. ISU
9. McNeese St
10. JMU
11. S. Ill
12. Furman
13. Portland St
14. C. Ark
15. Tenn-Martin
16. UNI
17.MSU
18. Hampton
19. CC
20. Cal Poly
21. E. Ill
22. UD
23. Yale
24. Lehigh
25. UR

Seems to me to be a fair ranking, preseason.

GannonFan
July 4th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Youngstown is now considered East Coast? Someone should let them know. They're something like 4 states away from the coast. xrolleyesx

FlyYtown
July 4th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Youngstown is now considered East Coast? Someone should let them know. They're something like 4 states away from the coast. xrolleyesx

According to the Geography books I read in my life, Ohio is apart of the Mid-West and the Great-Lakes.

Grizalltheway
July 4th, 2007, 11:19 PM

According to the Geography books I read in my life, Ohio is apart of the Mid-West and the Great-Lakes.

Fine, east of the Mississippi bias. xrolleyesx Either way, USA Today obviously doesn't give a crap about much in this part of the States.

Fresno St. Alum
July 5th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Thats why we have the best poll here at AGS. 115 people that don't just take a quick look at what a team did last year, hit copy and paste from the last poll from last year and be done with it.

saint0917
July 5th, 2007, 06:23 AM
2. Umass, to high
14. Central Arkansas, are they that good?

james_lawfirm
July 5th, 2007, 07:22 AM
No one has commented yet that they put Wofford at #6 & Furman at #12. I realize that the AGS poll has them basically swapped, but this time I agree with USA Today. I had Wofford over Furman in my AGS vote. Wofford basically returns the entire team from last year & have a fine coach. The Wofford game last year was the closest of the season for ASU. So, while I disagree with some of the rankings in the USA Today poll, I do think Wofford will go further in '07 than Furman.

GoGuins
July 5th, 2007, 07:33 AM
YSU @ #3 is too high. More like 9-12

OL FU
July 5th, 2007, 07:37 AM
The closer we get to the season the better Wofford gets.

OL FU
July 5th, 2007, 07:40 AM
No one has commented yet that they put Wofford at #6 & Furman at #12. I realize that the AGS poll has them basically swapped, but this time I agree with USA Today. I had Wofford over Furman in my AGS vote. Wofford basically returns the entire team from last year & have a fine coach. The Wofford game last year was the closest of the season for ASU. So, while I disagree with some of the rankings in the USA Today poll, I do think Wofford will go further in '07 than Furman.

I think most App fans look to closely at the how a wounded Furman played and a healthly Wofford play against APP. There may not be much difference between the two teams this year (I have both teams ranked much lower). But first, keep in mind every time you say Wofford has X number of starters returning, I think Furman has X+1. Last year, Wofford and Furman lost to exactly the same teams ( different 1A teams) except that Furman lost to CCU away and Wofford lost at home and Furman beat Wofford in Sparkle City.

CID1990
July 5th, 2007, 07:51 AM
As usual, these rankings will go out the window after the first week of league play.

BDKJMU
July 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM

ISU is for Ill State Univ, unless they are UIS.

OL FU
July 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I think most App fans look to closely at the how a wounded Furman played and a healthly Wofford play against APP. There may not be much difference between the two teams this year (I have both teams ranked much lower). But first, keep in mind every time you say Wofford has X number of starters returning, I think Furman has X+1. Last year, Wofford and Furman lost to exactly the same teams ( different 1A teams) except that Furman lost to CCU away and Wofford lost at home and Furman beat Wofford in Sparkle City.

PS, I am not arguing against the conclusion. I don't really know. But the methodology typically used ( Returning players, last years results, etc) I think come to a different conclusion. xnodx

terrierbob
July 5th, 2007, 08:11 AM
[COLOR="Yellow"]No one has commented yet that they put Wofford at #6 & Furman at #12. I realize that the AGS poll has them basically swapped, but this time I agree with USA Today. I had Wofford over Furman in my AGS vote. Wofford basically returns the entire team from last year & have a fine coach. The Wofford game last year was the closest of the season for ASU. So, while I disagree with some of the rankings in the USA Today poll, I do think Wofford will go further in '07 than Furman.

I hope all the hype doesn't jinx us. My wife, a psychologist, terms this "magical thinking". I'm still knocking on wood to ward off the jinx vibes.

OL FU
July 5th, 2007, 08:12 AM
[COLOR="Yellow"]No one has commented yet that they put Wofford at #6 & Furman at #12. I realize that the AGS poll has them basically swapped, but this time I agree with USA Today. I had Wofford over Furman in my AGS vote. Wofford basically returns the entire team from last year & have a fine coach. The Wofford game last year was the closest of the season for ASU. So, while I disagree with some of the rankings in the USA Today poll, I do think Wofford will go further in '07 than Furman.

I hope all the hype doesn't jinx us. My wife, a psychologist, terms this "magical thinking". I'm still knocking on wood to ward off the jinx vibes.

If you guys finish ahead of us I may need to make an appointment with your better halfxsmiley_wix xlolx

GannonFan
July 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM
PS, I am not arguing against the conclusion. I don't really know. But the methodology typically used ( Returning players, last years results, etc) I think come to a different conclusion. xnodx

Uh oh, OL FU is starting to quote himself in threads - maybe we should start emphasizing the "OL" part of the username?? xlolx :p xlolx :p xlolx :p

g-webb1994
July 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM
The SOCON will be deeper this year. To assume both Wofford and FU will not have at least two conference losses is not too far out on a limb. Add in a loss to a D-1, and I can't see a three loss FU or Wofford in say the top 8-10 come the end of the regular season. Appy could very well have two losses too (Michigan and either FU or Wofford).

Does any FCS team in any preseason poll really have a shot at running the table unbeaten this season?

terrierbob
July 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Old FU. You are preaching to the choir to all of the Terrier posters on our site. None agree with the hype. I'm sure Ayers doesn't either. Again, until we beat you, I'll always rank FU ahead of Wofford.

OL FU
July 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Uh oh, OL FU is starting to quote himself in threads - maybe we should start emphasizing the "OL" part of the username?? xlolx :p xlolx :p xlolx :p

The edit button is too close the the quote buttonxnodx :p

OL FU
July 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Old FU. You are preaching to the choir to all of the Terrier posters on our site. None agree with the hype. I'm sure Ayers doesn't either. Again, until we beat you, I'll always rank FU ahead of Wofford.

I understand and I am preaching to all the ASU postersxnodx

AppStateold299
July 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM

I agree that the Wofford game was very good, but I don't think they took us to double overtime quite like the Georgia Southern game. I do agree though that the Wofford squad is going to go a long ways this year. I am predicting they make the playoffs.

james_lawfirm
July 5th, 2007, 10:39 AM

My thought exactly. Plus, he is already talking about making an appointment with a shrink. Maybe we should just go ahead & make the appointment for him. xeekx

james_lawfirm
July 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM

OK, good points. I based my comparison here on what I saw on the field in Boone last year. Will Felton be healthy and playing when ASU visits? If memory serves he dressed out, but did not play in the regular season game. I think I remember he entered the game a time or two, but only as a decoy.

Bottom line, the SoCon will have four, maybe five if GaSo recovers from its recent maladies, top-notch teams this year.

OL FU
July 5th, 2007, 10:53 AM
OK, good points. I based my comparison here on what I saw on the field in Boone last year. Will Felton be healthy and playing when ASU visits? If memory serves he dressed out, but did not play in the regular season game. I think I remember he entered the game a time or two, but only as a decoy.

Bottom line, the SoCon will have four, maybe five if GaSo recovers from its recent maladies, top-notch teams this year.

Will Felton be healthy? One can only hope.

I do believe there are questions surrounding Furman. We had three good games last year and only three games where we were healthy. Does that mean healthy we are really strong. I think so, but I am a little concerned because even unhealthy some of our close games should not have been close. Chattanooga game was way to Close. Citadel should not have got back in the game in the second half. Tell will tell. Thankfully it is getting closer.

Sir William
July 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Will Felton be healthy? One can only hope.

I do believe there are questions surrounding Furman. We had three good games last year and only three games where we were healthy. Does that mean healthy we are really strong. I think so, but I am a little concerned because even unhealthy some of our close games should not have been close. Chattanooga game was way to Close. Citadel should not have got back in the game in the second half. Tell will tell. Thankfully it is getting closer.

As always, I'm concerned about our special teams play and our constant inability to play pass defense. Throw in the fact that we lost probably the best Offensive Line coach in FCS to the Air Force Academy, and I'll be on my knees praying every weekend this fall.

89Hen
July 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Fine, east of the Mississippi bias. xrolleyesx Either way, USA Today obviously doesn't give a crap about much in this part of the States.
4. Montana
7. NDS
9. McNeese St
13. Portland St
14. C. Ark
16. UNI
17.MSU
20. Cal Poly

Yeah, 40% of the Top 20 from West of the Miss while only something like 20% of the teams in I-AA are from West of the Miss. xeyebrowx xcoffeex

saccat
July 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah, 40% of the Top 20 from West of the Miss while only something like 20% of the teams in I-AA are from West of the Miss. xeyebrowx xcoffeex

It's FCS not I-AA, now dare youxnonox xsmiley_wix

spelunker64
July 5th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Who is NDS?

McNeese75
July 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Who is NDS?

University of North Dakota xconfusedx xlolx

spelunker64
July 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM
University of North Dakota xconfusedx xlolx

That's just asking for negative rep points. xrolleyesx xnodx :D

blackfordpu
July 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Surprised to see UCA being ranked amongst the top 25 of another preseason poll...they had a great year last year, but lose a lot...

14 is WAY too high for UCA.

already123
July 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Coastal and MSU are ranked a little high IMO....I'd like to see NAU crack the top 25, I would say they deserve a ranking

BEAR
July 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
14. Central Arkansas

I don't care what level of football you play on, if you lose 20+ seniors and most of them were on your defense....you shouldn't even be in the top 25. This preaseason poll has had zero, I say zero research done on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact UCA is getting that kind of pub, but as I said earlier, big losses on the defense, second year in FCS with a full schedule and no d2 opponents, well, let's just say it will all come out in the wash. I don't think there is one UCA fan who believes we should start the year out at the top or many who believe we will end up there either. (So none of you SLC brethren can say later...We told you so!...because we see it coming- but you aren't going to like the Bears anyway..xnonono2x )

...But wait til next year....and the year after that...and the year after that..xlolx

PantherRob82
July 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM

More east coast than west. xthumbsupx

CopperCat
July 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Coastal and MSU are ranked a little high IMO....I'd like to see NAU crack the top 25, I would say they deserve a ranking

xhomerx

NAU didn't do anything last year to earn a ranking. They also lost Murietta. Enough said.

NFLCB2
July 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Lehigh at #24xeyebrowx

Grizalltheway
July 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
4. Montana
7. NDS
9. McNeese St
13. Portland St
14. C. Ark
16. UNI
17.MSU
20. Cal Poly

Yet several UMass poster have chimed in that #2 is much too high of a ranking for them. That was my main point with the east coast bias thing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 5th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Lehigh at #24xeyebrowx

That's where they were ranked in the Pre-season AGS poll. I think they are top 25 worthy heading into the season. They return one of the best QB's in the country along with a good amount of experience including a number of 5th year guys. They seem to be the general favorite to win the league but not by much. I will say that the winner of the league will be better than 6-5 this year, more like 8-3, 9-2 maybe which will put at least 1 PL rep in the Top 25. My guess on Lehigh is 8-3 with losses to Villanova, Yale, and Colgate.

fuEMO
July 5th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Furman played the second half of the season with multiple injuries on the offensive side. So for some reason people seem to think that these injuries are a carry-over in much the same way that Wofford's late season play is a carry-over for success for this season.

Jerome Felton is fine. He played in the spring and will come into the 07 season in his best shape yet. Renaldo Grey has lost around 15 to 18 pounds and he also is participating in summer drills. I think what's more intesting is to look at the schedules for the three ranked SoCon teams.

Furman has APP and Wofford at home, GSU and CIT on the road.
APP has Furman, Wofford and CIT on the road, GSU at home.
Wofford has APP and GSU at home, Furman and CIT on the road.

IF this is the big three of 07 they each have some interesting challenges, and I like the fact that we have both APP and Wofford at home.

89rabbit
July 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Where are my rabbits. xbawlingx Of course the USA Today was founded by a University of South Dakota alum. ;) xlolx

Bulldog87
July 6th, 2007, 05:59 AM
How long is Furman's winning streak vs Wofford? The SoCon will be tough this season. Don't sleep on The Citadel this year.

OL FU
July 6th, 2007, 06:25 AM
How long is Furman's winning streak vs Wofford? The SoCon will be tough this season. Don't sleep on The Citadel this year.

Not that long '03 when Wofford was undefeated in the the Socon. Furman lost 6-7 at home. But that games has been the rare one since the late 70's.

dungeonjoe
July 6th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Not that long '03 when Wofford was undefeated in the the Socon. Furman lost 6-7 at home. But that games has been the rare one since the late 70's.
I believe it is time to reverse the trend at least until the late 10's.:)

OL FU
July 6th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I believe it is time to reverse the trend at least until the late 10's.:)

I'll say a little prayer for youxnodx (that should doom your chancesxlolx )

dungeonjoe
July 6th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I'll say a little prayer for youxnodx (that should doom your chancesxlolx )

God seems to like purple over the last few years. I just hope its not a 40 year thing.

OL FU
July 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM
God seems to like purple over the last few years. I just hope its not a 40 year thing.

I think it has to do with us no longer being affiliated with the Southern Baptistxnodx

And God has good taste

spelunker64
July 6th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Where are my rabbits. xbawlingx Of course the USA Today was founded by a University of South Dakota alum. ;) xlolx

In their holes where they belong! xsmiley_wix

james_lawfirm
July 6th, 2007, 08:39 AM
The SoCon will be tough this season. Don't sleep on The Citadel this year.

Agreed.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I think it has to do with us no longer being affiliated with the Southern Baptistxnodx

And God has good taste

Can't disagree with that! xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
That's where they were ranked in the Pre-season AGS poll. I think they are top 25 worthy heading into the season. They return one of the best QB's in the country along with a good amount of experience including a number of 5th year guys. They seem to be the general favorite to win the league but not by much. I will say that the winner of the league will be better than 6-5 this year, more like 8-3, 9-2 maybe which will put at least 1 PL rep in the Top 25. My guess on Lehigh is 8-3 with losses to Villanova, Yale, and Colgate.

If they lose to Villanova, they shouldn't be top 25 material. Villanova returns 5 on offense, losing a QB, RB and OL (as well as two other O-linemen) that received accolades for their play on the field. Last year they had one of the worst D's in the A10. I think they'll continue to improve upon last year's 4-win streak to end the season, but the players that truly got them through that stretch are gone. D will be better, but I think Lehigh is a far better team heading into 2007 than Villanova. Coach Talley should do enough though to have his players keep it close.

AZGrizFan
July 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM
The closer we get to the season the better Wofford gets.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BigApp
July 6th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Nothing on San Diego?xrotatehx

xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

NSUDemon98
July 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Agreed. I would not rank them in the Top 25 at this point. Who knows, they may be at the end of the season but I have a feeling their initiation in the SLC was just a year behind...xnodx

Hansel
July 9th, 2007, 08:58 PM
UCA at 14 is ridiculous