PDA

View Full Version : Andy Kerr Field Turf Pics (Colgate)

colgate13
July 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Just got these from a friend in Hamilton. Andy Kerr is most definitely getting a face lift on the field...

TheValleyRaider
July 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Wonder what the end product will look like. Painted end-zones? Or perhaps keeping those checkerboard ones (never liked that much at all).

ngineer
July 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Wonder what the end product will look like. Painted end-zones? Or perhaps keeping those checkerboard ones (never liked that much at all).

I love checkerboard endzones! Tennessee's is cool, and Temple used to have them at their old stadium in north Philly. Could the photos imply that Colgate is back 'on a roll'? ;)

Fordham
July 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
<ngineer ducks incoming produce>

colorless raider
July 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I love checkerboard endzones! Tennessee's is cool, and Temple used to have them at their old stadium in north Philly. Could the photos imply that Colgate is back 'on a roll'? ;)

no checkerboards alas. The higher ups called the shots.xmadx

Go...gate
July 4th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I would be thrilled with a simple "COLGATE" or the traditional block "C" which G-D Cornell copyrighted (oh, lost!)

Ruler 79
July 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Just a thought, how many people can you expect on opening day against Albany? I know tickets won't be tough to get like at Delaware but what is the gameday atmosphere like in Hamilton? Looking forward to some BBQ and Beer.

Be a good chance to see our new BC transfer in action.

Go...gate
July 5th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Just a thought, how many people can you expect on opening day against Albany? I know tickets won't be tough to get like at Delaware but what is the gameday atmosphere like in Hamilton? Looking forward to some BBQ and Beer.

Be a good chance to see our new BC transfer in action.

Figure 5,000 if it is a nice day. Make the trip. Andy Kerr is a nice place to watch a game!

PeacockRaider
July 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I would have rather seen Colgate stay with natural grass. I know it gets tore up throughout the year, but I think that was somewhat of a homefield advantage for Colgate to grind it out in the cold and frozen tundra.

To Ruler, just guessing but I would imagine a decent home crowd, about 5-6k, the away stands never seem to draw much, even when Lehigh comes to town. You should make the trip Hamilton is beautiful.

MarkCCU
July 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Alright Colgate. Glad to see my relatives' namesake is being kept up.

th0m
July 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Congrats to Colgate. I like your stadium, albeit with some weird shapes. I like the 'old' stone detailing on the stadium alot. What's that building in pictures 1 and 3 with a similar finish?

Go...gate
July 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Congrats to Colgate. I like your stadium, albeit with some weird shapes. I like the 'old' stone detailing on the stadium alot. What's that building in pictures 1 and 3 with a similar finish?

The Charles Sanford Field House, built in 1987. The University has tried to make the brickwork (or stonework) as uniform as possible throughout the campus.

ngineer
July 5th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I agree that going to turf sort of neutralizes the homefield advantage..the 'old frozen tundra' will be no more and the footing will be familiar to both teams. Most schools grass fields have certain idiosyncracies that the home team gets used to, but which can throw off an unfamiliar visitor. Will this leave Lehigh as the only PL with a natural turf field? LC,CU,BU,FU,GU all have turf, now? HC still had good ol' mud last year I recall.

Go...gate
July 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens the first time we play in a snow or ice storm.

DFW HOYA
July 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
LC,CU,BU,FU,GU all have turf, now? HC still had good ol' mud last year I recall.

Georgetown's turf was looking a little worn by the end of last lacrosse season, and it's less than two years old. Hope that doesn't become another item on the school's to-do list.

colgate13
July 6th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Finally! An official Colgate announcement.

Link (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/News/gen/2007/7/6/gen762007.asp?path=gen)

I wonder if this thread was the kick in the pants? :)

Go...gate
July 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Finally! An official Colgate announcement.

Link (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/News/gen/2007/7/6/gen762007.asp?path=gen)

I wonder if this thread was the kick in the pants? :)

Updated photos now on the Colgate site. Use the same link.

Go...gate
July 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Word is that most of the money ($2,100,000) used to fund these improvements (at two Colgate stadia) came from a Men's Lacrosse alum, so Andy Kerr will now host Men's and Women's Lacrosse as well as football.

Go...gate
July 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Updated photos now on the Colgate site. Use the same link.

Further updates now available - project is coming along nicely. You can also see the new Colgate athletics logo at midfield, combining the traditional block "C" icon and the more "'gate "icon.

andy7171
July 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Nice. I love the home side of your stadium. Very unique. Do we play up there in NY or are you coming down to Baltimore this year?

Go...gate
July 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Nice. I love the home side of your stadium. Very unique. Do we play up there in NY or are you coming down to Baltimore this year?

Towson game @ Hamilton, 1:00 start.

I'm advised on the Colgate VoyForums board that lights are also included in the deal, but installation of those will be next summer.

LBPop
July 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM
(at two Colgate stadia)

Great to see that your four years of Latin at Colgate are still working. I thought the plural of stadium was stadiumses. But then again, I went to a state school. ;) xlolx

I'm still trying to convince LBMom that she is an Alumna of her school and that she and her classmates are Alumnae. Oh well, maybe I'll get that done in our next 24+ years. xrolleyesx

Pard4Life
July 21st, 2007, 10:48 PM
And another one bites the dust.. good bye grass..

MplsBison
July 22nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
10 years.

Not a single grass field left in DI football.

DFW HOYA
July 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
10 years. Not a single grass field left in DI football.

A lot of schools, particularly those with temperate climates and a football-only facility, will always have grass fields. I remember when Astroturf took over a lot of places in the 1970's, but the grass fields didn't go away.

Sam Adams
July 22nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
field turf is more durable and cheaper to maintain. However I wouldn't expect to see grass disappear completely especially in more temperate places.

MplsBison
July 22nd, 2007, 09:55 AM
those with temperate climates and a football-only facility, will always have grass fields.

Nope. They won't.

I remember when Astroturf took over a lot of places in the 1970's, but the grass fields didn't go away.

Nice try.

Attempting to compare the current and next generation synthetic grass surfaces and Astroturf? You might as well compare it to cardboard.

Not even an apples/oranges comparison. More like apples/granite.

DFW HOYA
July 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
The Rose Bowl is not going to add FieldTurf. And most of the SEC (except for Vanderbilt) thrives on natural turf as part of its football culture. If you've got a football-only facility in the South or Southwest, there's little or no need for it.

MplsBison
July 22nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
That's 3 false statements in one post.

Are you going for some kind of record?

DFW HOYA
July 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
This is only opinion, given that none of us work for the facilities in question.

There is a difference, you know.

douglasdmb
July 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
That's 3 false statements in one post.

Are you going for some kind of record?

I would imagine that you're the one who owns that record, Mpls.