PDA

View Full Version : SELA Tops In-State Recruiting - Louisiana

TexasTerror
July 3rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
SELA had the best recruiting class of the FCS programs in Louisiana as far as in-state recruiting.

Wonder how this will be interpreted...I do not have the McN, Southern or Grambling recruiting classes infront of me to see how many folks they recruited from out of state. I know McNeese loves that southeast side of Texas.

Still, in-state recruiting is a huge issue for any school and SELA does have a new football coach...

This post comes from the SELA board...
-------------------
Not sure how long it's been out, but today I picked up the spring edition of the Louisiana Football Magazine that Lee Brecheen puts out and he recapped the in-state recruiting classes. Up front I'll say that I've never been a huge fan of the way he covers recruiting, but for what it's worth, he gives our class high marks, giving us an A+. He rated our class number 4 overall among all in-state schools and number one among the FCS schools. Recruiting rankings don't mean squat, and never will, but it's nice to get the recognition.

Here's how he lined them up in order of who he felt had the best classes. The letter grade is relative to level of play and expectations...

ALL SCHOOLS INCLUDED

1. LSU (A)
2. Louisiana Tech (A+)
3. UL-Lafayette (B)
4. Southeastern Louisiana (A+)
5. UL-Monroe (C)
6. Tulane (C)
7. Northwestern State (C+)
8. Nicholls State (C+)
9. Southern (B)
10. McNeese (C)
11. Grambling (C-)
12. Louisiana College (B+)

http://forums.delphiforums.com/SLULions/messages/?msg=1350.1

GeauxLions94
July 3rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
SLU had the best recruiting class of the FCS programs in Louisiana as far as in-state recruiting.

Wonder how this will be interpreted...I do not have the McN, Southern or Grambling recruiting classes infront of me to see how many folks they recruited from out of state. I know McNeese loves that southeast side of Texas.

Still, in-state recruiting is a huge issue for any school and SLU does have a new football coach...

This post comes from the SLU board...
-------------------
Not sure how long it's been out, but today I picked up the spring edition of the Louisiana Football Magazine that Lee Brecheen puts out and he recapped the in-state recruiting classes. Up front I'll say that I've never been a huge fan of the way he covers recruiting, but for what it's worth, he gives our class high marks, giving us an A+. He rated our class number 4 overall among all in-state schools and number one among the FCS schools. Recruiting rankings don't mean squat, and never will, but it's nice to get the recognition.

Here's how he lined them up in order of who he felt had the best classes. The letter grade is relative to level of play and expectations...

ALL SCHOOLS INCLUDED

1. LSU (A)
2. Louisiana Tech (A+)
3. UL-Lafayette (B)
4. Southeastern Louisiana (A+)
5. UL-Monroe (C)
6. Tulane (C)
7. Northwestern State (C+)
8. Nicholls State (C+)
9. Southern (B)
10. McNeese (C)
11. Grambling (C-)
12. Louisiana College (B+)

http://forums.delphiforums.com/SLULions/messages/?msg=1350.1

Recruiting in-state is something that Mike Lucas wants to focus on. We picked up players from all corners of the state (Miles Abrams - Shreveport: Mark Newbill - Monroe; Ryan Godare and Nathan Clophus from Sulphur ... aka McNeese State's backyard; the kids from the New Orleans area; along with Baton Rouge, Acadiana and the River Parishes).

We've put together two good recruiting classes in the past two seasons, so the future looks bright.

Really not surprised that LFM would rank us (SLU) ahead of ULM and Tulane, but thought Northwestern State and McNeese State (teams which didn't lose a lot of players) would have received better grades and would be ranked higher.

Lionsrking
July 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
The post is somewhat misleading. Actually the Louisiana Football Magazine ranking took into account each school's entire recruiting class, not just the in-state portion. The "in-state" part was referring to all of the in-state schools in Louisiana. It was just worded poorly.

McNeese72
July 3rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
My take on recruiting rankings is I'd rather grade a class in four or five years after we've seen what they have done. Doing it right now is just conjecture.

Similar to preseason polls and rankings.

Doc

Lionsrking
July 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Recruiting in-state is something that Mike Lucas wants to focus on. We picked up players from all corners of the state (Miles Abrams - Shreveport: Mark Newbill - Monroe; Ryan Godare and Nathan Clophus from Sulphur ... aka McNeese State's backyard; the kids from the New Orleans area; along with Baton Rouge, Acadiana and the River Parishes).

We've put together two good recruiting classes in the past two seasons, so the future looks bright.

Really not surprised that LFM would rank us (SLU) ahead of ULM and Tulane, but thought Northwestern State and McNeese State (teams which didn't lose a lot of players) would have received better grades and would be ranked higher.

I can't speak for Louisiana Football Magazine, but in my opinion, the reason McNeese and Northwestern didn't receive higher grades than they did is due to the lack of available scholarships. NW State, in particular, signed quality across the board, they just didn't have the numbers. Similar with McNeese. Next year, we'll be in the position of having limited numbers and probably won't be able to sign more than 16 or 17 total. I'm just glad we were able to take advantage of the numbers we had available this year and bring in another quality class. Now we nedd to translate it into some wins!!!

Lionsrking
July 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
My take on recruiting rankings is I'd rather grade a class in four or five years after we've seen what they have done. Doing it right now is just conjecture.

Similar to preseason polls and rankings.

Doc

I agree though I don't see anything wrong with the gurus who want to share their opinion. Time will tell whether they are right or not.

McNeese75
July 3rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
I always save the the signing class press release and refer back to them 3 and 4 years later. This usually results in the ole "I wonder what happened to ......." xcoolx

813Jag
July 4th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I have to get our list to see the specifics, but I know generally Pete Richardson recruits out of state pretty hard. Especially the Houston area, I know he's focused on the Baton Rouge area since Katrina hit N.O.

Jag4Life
July 4th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Yeah I would grade our recruiting class a "B" but you have to remember that we aren't done recruiting but here is the link. Oh yeah more then 4 transfers I think.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/5374466.html

NSUDemon98
July 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM

I would think that would be the opposite as far as ranking goes. I would think that since we only signed like 12 players that our ranking would most likely reflect that.

Lionsrking
July 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I would think that would be the opposite as far as ranking goes. I would think that since we only signed like 12 players that our ranking would most likely reflect that.

Recruiting rankings are speculative and not worth much to begin with but I would have given your class better than a C+ grade even with only signing 12 players. I thought you guys made the most of a limited amount of scholarships and that's all you can do.