PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in The Southland

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2020, 07:27 PM
This sound like a quote right out of the Southwest Conference circa 1990:

"Sources have confirmed the possible moves with me, saying the four Texas schools wanting out of the Southland have to do with a "haves" and "have-nots" mentality. The Texas schools believe there are too many members in the Southland who are not committed enough financially to athletics, so they are looking for a different conference."

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6799740-McFeely-blog-Southland-Conference-shakeup-in-the-works (https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6799740-McFeely-blog-Southland-Conference-shakeup-in-the-works)

McNeese75
December 14th, 2020, 08:21 AM
"The Texas schools believe there are too many members in the Southland who are not committed enough financially to athletics" or there are not enough other schools in the Southland who want to bend their students over for the athletic fees some of the Texas 4 do.

Go Green
December 14th, 2020, 08:27 AM
This sound like a quote right out of the Southwest Conference circa 1990:

Funny you should mention that! ESPN did a comprehensive (and very entertaining) story on the demise of the SWC recently Highly recommended!!

'I don't wish either of them well' -- The demise of the Southwest Conference, 25 years later (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30424417/i-wishof-well-demise-southwest-conference-25-years-later)

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2020, 09:17 AM
Funny you should mention that! ESPN did a comprehensive (and very entertaining) story on the demise of the SWC recently Highly recommended!!

'I don't wish either of them well' -- The demise of the Southwest Conference, 25 years later (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30424417/i-wishof-well-demise-southwest-conference-25-years-later)

Great read! I referenced this article in another thread. Lots of good nuggets..

Daytripper
December 14th, 2020, 09:33 AM

I grew up with the Southwest Conference. To this day, Earl Campbell is my favorite athlete. He made me a Texas Longhorn fan.

Mocs123
December 14th, 2020, 10:09 AM
I wonder if the south land splits up and some go to the WAC if it will trigger some sort of conference re-alignment. I think the COVID pandemic and not getting revenue from fans in the stands has opened the eyes to some AD's that the current situation isn't fiscally sustainable. I think some g5 conferences have been built on football TV money only, but that TV money at the g5 level isn't enough to cover the crazy travel (especially for non revenue sports).

Daytripper
December 14th, 2020, 10:32 AM
I wonder if the south land splits up and some go to the WAC if it will trigger some sort of conference re-alignment. I think the COVID pandemic and not getting revenue from fans in the stands has opened the eyes to some AD's that the current situation isn't fiscally sustainable. I think some g5 conferences have been built on football TV money only, but that TV money at the g5 level isn't enough to cover the crazy travel (especially for non revenue sports).

It's possible the remaining Southland teams after the Texas 4 leave (UIW, HBU, McNeese, Nicholls, SLU, and NWST) work to add other Texas programs (West Texas A&M, TAMU-Commerce, Dallas Baptist, etc.), but it would be a terribly weak conference. I think if the Texas 4 do go to the WAC, the remaining schools go to either the ASUN or the OVC.

DFW HOYA
December 14th, 2020, 10:39 AM
It's possible the remaining Southland teams after the Texas 4 leave (UIW, HBU, McNeese, Nicholls, SLU, and NWST) work to add other Texas programs (West Texas A&M, TAMU-Commerce, Dallas Baptist, etc.), but it would be a terribly weak conference. I think if the Texas 4 do go to the WAC, the remaining schools go to either the ASUN or the OVC.

As long as the SLC has a autobid, better to stay with what you have. Traveling across all sports to Kentucky or Florida for games is pointless when the alternatives are one-bid conferences too.

Baron Sardonicus
December 14th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Used to be that conference switchers were cut out of conference NCAA tournament TV money for a number of years. Don't know if that's still the case.

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2020, 11:54 AM

I have got to think that the WAC - which will likely still need another football member or few - will have the "pick of the litter" when it comes to any other Texas programs.

Certainly the Southland Conference will want to maintain a Texas presence to build on Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word and Texas A&M - Corpus Christi to help with travel and visibility in the state (see helps the La. schools with recruiting, particularly in FB, hoops & baseball as well as general admissions) however, the WAC will again be able to get the schools it wants if there's available spots.

dgtw
December 14th, 2020, 12:35 PM
I grew up with the Southwest Conference. To this day, Earl Campbell is my favorite athlete. He made me a Texas Longhorn fan.

He was a true wrecking ball on the field. Damn shame to see him now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgtw
December 14th, 2020, 12:48 PM
As long as the SLC has a autobid, better to stay with what you have. Traveling across all sports to Kentucky or Florida for games is pointless when the alternatives are one-bid conferences too.

It leaves them with six in football and eight in Olympic sports. Not ideal, but they keep their football autobid and gives the rest a bigger slice of NCAA tournament pie. It does leave them with just four tennis programs.

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2020, 12:56 PM
It leaves them with six in football and eight in Olympic sports. Not ideal, but they keep their football autobid and gives the rest a bigger slice of NCAA tournament pie. It does leave them with just four tennis programs.

I believe mens and womens golf with the UCA + Texas institutions leaving also lose their automatic bids. You are right that men's tennis would also be impacted. They have had affiliate members in that sport in the past. I think Centenary and UTPA were affiliates at one point or another.

dgtw
December 14th, 2020, 01:18 PM
I believe mens and womens golf with the UCA + Texas institutions leaving also lose their automatic bids. You are right that men's tennis would also be impacted. They have had affiliate members in that sport in the past. I think Centenary and UTPA were affiliates at one point or another.

It leaves them with four in men’s tennis and seven women. Golf would have six men and four women. So they would need some affiliates or get some to start programs.

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2020, 01:26 PM
It leaves them with four in men’s tennis and seven women. Golf would have six men and four women. So they would need some affiliates or get some to start programs.

McNeese just cut men's golf and women's golf this past week. They did a Friday announcement.

On men's side, you are down to Southeastern, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, UNO and Nicholls. On women's side, just Houston Baptist, Corpus Christi and Incarnate Word.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/12/12/mcneese-state-ends-mens-womens-golf-teams/

dgtw
December 14th, 2020, 01:49 PM
If the Texas four along with Southern Utah go to the WAC, that gives them 14 members. That is a little bigger than I would want for a league at that level.

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2020, 02:09 PM
If the Texas four along with Southern Utah go to the WAC, that gives them 14 members. That is a little bigger than I would want for a league at that level.

The Southland is at 13.

I still believe that the WAC will be shifting some more and that the realignment shell game is not over. There could be 14 members of the WAC at some point, but suffice to say - it may not be the 14 we think it'll end up with.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2020, 05:53 PM
McNeese just cut men's golf and women's golf this past week. They did a Friday announcement.

On men's side, you are down to Southeastern, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, UNO and Nicholls. On women's side, just Houston Baptist, Corpus Christi and Incarnate Word.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/12/12/mcneese-state-ends-mens-womens-golf-teams/

xsmhx

Laker
December 14th, 2020, 06:13 PM
The Southland is at 13.

I still believe that the WAC will be shifting some more and that the realignment shell game is not over. There could be 14 members of the WAC at some point, but suffice to say - it may not be the 14 we think it'll end up with.

Does Chicago State even offer enough sports? They cut baseball at a meeting that clowns would have been embarrassed to perform. I just wonder how long the WAC would keep them.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2020, 06:37 PM

I remember him at Texas but my first thought of Earl Campbell is in a Houston Oiler uniform..... with white towels waving, a bum as a coach and Dan Pasterini as the QB and Billy White shoes returning Kicks, Fell a bit short against the Steelers in 79 AFC conference title game I believe

dgtw
December 14th, 2020, 06:49 PM
Does Chicago State even offer enough sports? They cut baseball at a meeting that clowns would have been embarrassed to perform. I just wonder how long the WAC would keep them.

They were supposed to start a men’s soccer team this year. You have to sponsor at least two men’s team sports and after dropping baseball they only have basketball. I guess they get a pass on that this year due to COVID.

dgtw
December 14th, 2020, 06:52 PM
I remember him at Texas but my first thought of Earl Campbell is in a Houston Oiler uniform..... with white towels waving, a bum as a coach and Dan Pasterini as the QB and Billy White shoes returning Kicks, Fell a bit short against the Steelers in 79 AFC conference title game I believe

Bum Phillips said Campbell may not be in a class by himself but it doesn’t take long to call roll.

Go Green
December 15th, 2020, 07:39 AM
Bum Phillips said Campbell may not be in a class by himself but it doesn’t take long to call roll.

Hollywood Henderson said that he thought Ottis Anderson was better than Campbell.

The Hall of Fame does not agree...

Daytripper
December 15th, 2020, 09:12 AM
Hollywood Henderson said that he thought Ottis Anderson was better than Campbell.

Most people with knowledge of football do not agree.

dgtw
December 15th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Anderson wins on longevity but that’s about it.

Reign of Terrier
December 15th, 2020, 11:26 AM
So, someone brought this to my attention today on Twitter and I have to say, there's huge implications of conference realignment if this happens, especially considering Central Arkansas, Jacksonville State, and Eastern Kentucky are all rumored to make a pivot to the ASun for basketball (https://www.naplesnews.com/story/sports/college/fgcu/2020/11/17/report-eastern-kentucky-central-arkansas-jacksonville-state-join-asun/6325347002/).

According to twitter (I've not found a link, someone told me this), apparently the ASUN does have an FCS football plan, if the opportunity would arise. Note: North Alabama and KSU already members in the Sun Belt. Those three additions, on top of those two incumbents could mean the ASUN forms its own football conference (that would be playoff eligible) with

JSU
KSU
UCA
EKU
UNA

With the Caveat being that they need one more team, which would arise with either (in my opinion, this is all speculative!)

Chattanooga (they don't like the Socon and have been looking to jump ship)
Any of the Louisiana Southland Teams

Again, this is all speculation, but if the Texas teams bolt for the WAC, the Southland is a lot weaker than before with (by my count, but with COVID wikipedia changes and other things it could be wrong) 6 teams (if you assume a UCA leaving).

So, I don't know how likely it is, but it's possible that there's an ASUN football conference stretching from Louisiana/Arkansas to Kentucky and Georgia, which is not unreasonable.

If that happens, and this is *way* speculative at this point, so take it with a healthy serving of salt, I'd imagine the Socon would try to replace a football team, and IMO they could go for Richmond (because Richmond is, as far as I can tell, just an affiliate member of the CAA exclusively through football with the CAA getting bigger and bigger with lots of plane rides). And if that happens, you may see JMU try to do what Liberty did and or the CAA go for Monmouth out of the Big South.

All of this, again, again, is handwavy speculation. But I think this would be best for the FCS because we would have better regionalization and a better football conference in the ASUN relative to the Southland (and the Southland ain't a slouch). You would also have the WAC, which would probably pull Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado, as well as SUU and the Texas 4 and perhaps others. This would make the Big Sky better sized with 10 members, allowing this conference to play everyone, which creates a better understanding of how good the conference is top to bottom as opposed to having 3 teams at 10-1 every year (I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get it).

I don't think all of the above will happen, or even most of it, but there's a lot of potential for some conference shuffling that makes for better athletic budgets, interesting new affiliations, and IMO a better product for the FCS.

I could go on but this post is long enough

Mocs123
December 15th, 2020, 12:20 PM
RoT - The A-Sun absolutely has a FCS football plan - IMO it's a very ambitious plan and probably too much so to actually happen. It was rolled out last January and the A-Sun commissioner Ted Gumbert has a video on it. I'm not sure if Mr. Gumbert is a genius or an idiot, but he definitely has a bold vision. The did recently extend offers to UCA, JSU, and EKU, but that's not enough to make the move, and it only makes since for any of those schools to move if they all go together with a full group of football playing members.

There was a rumor on AGS that the A-Sun was interested in ETSU and UTC (and/or possibly Mercer - though I think they are targeting public schools) from the SoCon but I'm not sure if there is any truth to it or not. I have no idea if anyone from the A-Sun has contacted Chattanooga or if Chattanooga would be interested if they do. The thought of a potential football conference with JSU (whom many UTC fans consider our biggest rival), ETSU, KSU, EKU, and UNA would probably be somewhat appealing, but UCA would be a bit of a geographical outlier. There would be a lot to consider though, as it would be a move in all sports and there are lot of questions that would have to be answered.

I doubt it will happen as it just has so many moving pieces, as I can't see any school making the move unless all the schools make a move at once (and all those schools would have to be happy with the other selected schools) AND it has to be unanimously agreed upon by current A-Sun members and I'm not sure they have a lot to gain by the move as only two play FB.

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2020, 12:26 PM
Comments from the AD at Incarnate Word. He clearly spells out the have/have not argument in his comments.

===

Speculation about a possible reshuffling of the Southland Conference has swirled in recent weeks. Reports indicate Central Arkansas is targeting the Atlantic Sun, with Texas programs Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar and Abilene Christian eyeing a move to the Western Athletic Conference.

Duran said UIW continues to treat the premier Southland programs as benchmarks, working to improve facilities and “close the resource gap between us and some of the top-tier schools.”

“I believe we’re going to have a great future in the Southland Conference. Hopefully, it’s with those schools being a part of that,” Duran said. “But I’m very excited to continue our membership in the Southland Conference, because it’s been a great conference for us, for UIW, and it really allowed us to make a successful transition into Division I.”

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/local_colleges/article/UIW-athletic-director-Richard-Duran-confident-15801424.php

BEAR
December 16th, 2020, 11:19 AM
UCA plays soccer in the Sunbelt.
Does the Sunbelt host soccer?

I'm not really familiar with that conference but it looks like I will have to try to learn about it and the Big South....xcoffeex

POD Knows
December 16th, 2020, 11:32 AM

The Hall of Fame does not agree...Hollywood Henderson was a coked out freak, Anderson was good but not Campbell good.

katss07
December 16th, 2020, 12:34 PM
Wonder if the ASUN would consider the Louisiana schools assuming the SLC falls apart... Southeastern and McNeese would make great sense for this league. But for political reasons I'm assuming Nicholls and NWST would have to come along as well.

lionsrking2
December 16th, 2020, 03:20 PM
Wonder if the ASUN would consider the Louisiana schools assuming the SLC falls apart... Southeastern and McNeese would make great sense for this league. But for political reasons I'm assuming Nicholls and NWST would have to come along as well.

More likely SLU and Nicholls from a geographical standpoint, but you're right, there will be political pressure to stay together.

walliver
December 16th, 2020, 04:03 PM
So, someone brought this to my attention today on Twitter and I have to say, there's huge implications of conference realignment if this happens, especially considering Central Arkansas, Jacksonville State, and Eastern Kentucky are all rumored to make a pivot to the ASun for basketball (https://www.naplesnews.com/story/sports/college/fgcu/2020/11/17/report-eastern-kentucky-central-arkansas-jacksonville-state-join-asun/6325347002/).

According to twitter (I've not found a link, someone told me this), apparently the ASUN does have an FCS football plan, if the opportunity would arise. Note: North Alabama and KSU already members in the Sun Belt. Those three additions, on top of those two incumbents could mean the ASUN forms its own football conference (that would be playoff eligible) with

JSU
KSU
UCA
EKU
UNA

With the Caveat being that they need one more team, which would arise with either (in my opinion, this is all speculative!)

Again, this is all speculation, but if the Texas teams bolt for the WAC, the Southland is a lot weaker than before with (by my count, but with COVID wikipedia changes and other things it could be wrong) 6 teams (if you assume a UCA leaving).

So, I don't know how likely it is, but it's possible that there's an ASUN football conference stretching from Louisiana/Arkansas to Kentucky and Georgia, which is not unreasonable.

If that happens, and this is *way* speculative at this point, so take it with a healthy serving of salt, I'd imagine the Socon would try to replace a football team, and IMO they could go for Richmond (because Richmond is, as far as I can tell, just an affiliate member of the CAA exclusively through football with the CAA getting bigger and bigger with lots of plane rides). And if that happens, you may see JMU try to do what Liberty did and or the CAA go for Monmouth out of the Big South.

All of this, again, again, is handwavy speculation. But I think this would be best for the FCS because we would have better regionalization and a better football conference in the ASUN relative to the Southland (and the Southland ain't a slouch). You would also have the WAC, which would probably pull Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado, as well as SUU and the Texas 4 and perhaps others. This would make the Big Sky better sized with 10 members, allowing this conference to play everyone, which creates a better understanding of how good the conference is top to bottom as opposed to having 3 teams at 10-1 every year (I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get it).

I don't think all of the above will happen, or even most of it, but there's a lot of potential for some conference shuffling that makes for better athletic budgets, interesting new affiliations, and IMO a better product for the FCS.

As much as I'd like to see Richmond return, they play basketball in the A-10 and I don't see anyone in that league moving to the SoCon.

If Chatty were to leave, I would expect the SoCon to go after Campbell.

Also, if Chatty were to leave, would ETSU (and possibly WCU follow)? both would definitely be geographic outliers.

Also, the plan really isn't A-Sun football, it is to bring in new teams to the A-Sun and then split into separate football and non-football conferences in such a way that each conference would get a March Madness bid. They also have grandiose plans for an enlarged basketball-only A-Sun, which is much less feasible.

Mocs123
December 16th, 2020, 04:13 PM
I don't think Richmond would go to the SoCon, but Campbell would fit in well with the SoCon and/or perhaps the return of Elon. The SoCon seems like a much better geographic fit for them than the CAA.

That being said, I know there are rumors around here of a UTC and ETSU jump to the new A-Sun football league, and while I'm not saying it might not be true, I'm not aware of any talks with the A-Sun.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2020, 12:10 PM
With today's SFA 'news' from their Board of Regents announcement, what do we think happens next?

Was that the final piece of the puzzle and will it enable Sam Houston State, Lamar and Abilene Christian to announce that they have already got the approval(s) they need to move? Will Central Arkansas make an announcement or are they waiting for the other institutions that are apparently going to the ASun to say something?

WestCoastAggie
December 17th, 2020, 01:05 PM
https://twitter.com/CalebKTRE/status/1339623414231916548

Schism55
December 17th, 2020, 02:27 PM
RIP Southland

POD Knows
December 17th, 2020, 02:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xrlf3taEo

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2020, 03:15 PM
RIP Southland

If the Patriot League can play with seven, so can the Southland.

katss07
December 17th, 2020, 04:49 PM
It's dead as we know it

dgtw
December 17th, 2020, 05:58 PM
If the Patriot League can play with seven, so can the Southland.

If the Texas four plus the Arkansas one leave they would be at six. That is doable as long as nobody else leaves but you have to schedule six OOC games and you could have a conference champ with a losing record.

It leaves them with eight in basketball and baseball. A tidier setup but with a 14 game basketball schedule you will need to find OOC games after the New Year to avoid off days.

dgtw
December 17th, 2020, 06:04 PM
With today's SFA 'news' from their Board of Regents announcement, what do we think happens next?

Was that the final piece of the puzzle and will it enable Sam Houston State, Lamar and Abilene Christian to announce that they have already got the approval(s) they need to move? Will Central Arkansas make an announcement or are they waiting for the other institutions that are apparently going to the ASun to say something?

I doubt SFA would move without the knowledge their buddies are going with them.

This could force UCA’s hand to make the move. Which could get Jax State and EKU to pull the trigger.

Daytripper
December 17th, 2020, 07:02 PM
I doubt SFA would move without the knowledge their buddies are going with them.

This could force UCA’s hand to make the move. Which could get Jax State and EKU to pull the trigger.

No way a single Texas 4 school publicly commits unless the rest of the crew is on board. I can't see the Southland surviving without the Texas 4 and UCA. The LA schools and the Texas Bible 2 will have to find a new home.

lionsrking2
December 17th, 2020, 08:59 PM
No way a single Texas 4 school publicly commits unless the rest of the crew is on board. I can't see the Southland surviving without the Texas 4 and UCA. The LA schools and the Texas Bible 2 will have to find a new home.

Please explain why it won't survive?

solohawks
December 20th, 2020, 06:12 PM
I know very little about the Southland, but facing an 8/6 alignment it seems it would be wise to expand. I put together a plan that solidifies football, keeps the footprint tight, and even adds soccer. Please let me know if this is feasible.

Without knowing anything else about the schools or their interest levels, if I were the LA schools, I would use this opportunity to take control of the conference.

I would go to Arkansas first. I would pick Arkansas Tech and Harding. That would sustain football and those 2 schools are very close to each other and could be travel partners. Both Harding and AR Tech sponsor Tennis and Harding also sponsors soccer

I would also add Mississippi College. They are just across the MS LA border and wouldnt expand the footprint that much. They too sponsor both soccer and tennis.

Finally I would add one TX school Dallas Baptist. This add would compliment the flavor of the other long term TX members while insuring access to Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston long term. Already in D1 for baseball, this add It would also allow soccer to be sponsored by the conference

The LA schools would have the numbers instead of going all in with TX to rebuild and could better control the conference as they are the long term base of the league. They also protect Tennis and allow for the sponsorship of soccer. Allowing for the sponsorship of soccer gives the conference some flexibility in case football becomes an issue

Southland LA/MS
Mississippi College
Northwestern St
Southeastern LA
New Orleans
Nicholls
McNeese St

Southland TX/AR
Arkansas Tech
Harding
Houston Baptist
Dallas Baptist
Incarnate Word
A&M Corpus Christi

lionsrking2
December 20th, 2020, 06:34 PM
I know very little about the Southland, but facing an 8/6 alignment it seems it would be wise to expand. I put together a plan that solidifies football, keeps the footprint tight, and even adds soccer. Please let me know if this is feasible.

Without knowing anything else about the schools or their interest levels, if I were the LA schools, I would use this opportunity to take control of the conference.

I would go to Arkansas first. I would pick Arkansas Tech and Harding. That would sustain football and those 2 schools are very close to each other and could be travel partners. Both Harding and AR Tech sponsor Tennis and Harding also sponsors soccer

I would also add Mississippi College. They are just across the MS LA border and wouldnt expand the footprint that much. They too sponsor both soccer and tennis.

Finally I would add one TX school Dallas Baptist. This add would compliment the flavor of the other long term TX members while insuring access to Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston long term. Already in D1 for baseball, this add It would also allow soccer to be sponsored by the conference

The LA schools would have the numbers instead of going all in with TX to rebuild and could better control the conference as they are the long term base of the league. They also protect Tennis and allow for the sponsorship of soccer. Allowing for the sponsorship of soccer gives the conference some flexibility in case football becomes an issue

Southland LA/MS
Mississippi College
Northwestern St
Southeastern LA
New Orleans
Nicholls
McNeese St

Southland TX/AR
Arkansas Tech
Harding
Houston Baptist
Dallas Baptist
Incarnate Word
A&M Corpus Christi

Miss College has ZERO chance of becoming a D-I program. Texas A&M-Commerce and West Florida are best options for expansion should they want to move up. Arkansas Tech would be a distant third. No on Harding.

solohawks
December 20th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Miss College has ZERO chance of becoming a D-I program. Texas A&M-Commerce and West Florida are best options for expansion should they want to move up. Arkansas Tech would be a distant third. No on Harding.

Good to know

Since MS College is so close to the LA schools and already sponsors the amount of sports D1 requires, I thought they might be able to make it work. As a private school I thought they might appreciate affiliating with big city TX private schools too

lionsrking2
December 20th, 2020, 07:13 PM
Good to know

Since MS College is so close to the LA schools and already sponsors the amount of sports D1 requires, I thought they might be able to make it work. As a private school I thought they might appreciate affiliating with big city TX private schools too

They might wish to try and make it work but MC brings nothing of value to the SLC table other than they're close. The league doesn't need another HBU or UIW.

TexasTerror
December 20th, 2020, 08:01 PM
They might wish to try and make it work but MC brings nothing of value to the SLC table other than they're close. The league doesn't need another HBU or UIW.

Mississippi College brings three things - women’s and men’s golf and men’s tennis.

They also aren’t much of a commute for Southland and help with scheduling.

I don’t think they are joining the Southland but unlike West Florida (ASun) or Commerce (WAC), the Southland is likely their best shot at D1.

that being said, these threads here and on CSNBBS are getting out of control.

lionsrking2
December 20th, 2020, 08:40 PM
Mississippi College brings three things - women’s and men’s golf and men’s tennis.

They also aren’t much of a commute for Southland and help with scheduling.

I don’t think they are joining the Southland but unlike West Florida (ASun) or Commerce (WAC), the Southland is likely their best shot at D1.

that being said, these threads here and on CSNBBS are getting out of control.

MC is not an option. End of story.

Daytripper
December 20th, 2020, 09:54 PM

Southland LA/MS
Mississippi College
Northwestern St
Southeastern LA
New Orleans
Nicholls
McNeese St

Southland TX/AR
Arkansas Tech
Harding
Houston Baptist
Dallas Baptist
Incarnate Word
A&M Corpus Christi

Remove Mississippi College from their division. Move Arkansas Tech to the LA/ARK. Add WTAMU to the TX division.

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2020, 07:01 AM
MC is not an option. End of story.

The Southland is in a desperate spot. I think anyone that is considering Division I within a four hour drive of a current SLC institution will be fair game. Afterall, the current SLC schools have taken and pushed the rest to make some poor decisions previously about membership

katss07
December 21st, 2020, 01:32 PM
The Southland should just do what they should've done the first time around... Angelo State and A&M Commerce are right there for the taking.

BEAR
December 22nd, 2020, 02:10 PM
There are no Arkansas division II schools that have the money to move up. Ark Tech might after the casino in Russellville rakes in the cash but from what I’ve heard most Arkansas colleges are on life support. Heck even Fayetteville is radio and tv campaigning for donations to fund student athletes. Freaking hilarious imo.

BEAR
December 22nd, 2020, 03:27 PM
The SLC website has an article about the early signing period and lists schools by name. No UCA or SFA. Hmmmm

jacksfan29!
December 22nd, 2020, 04:05 PM
I don't see Northern Arizona or UNC going to the WAC. One is has been in the Big Sky since 1970, seven years after it was founded. The other has no money, or the will to leave the Big Sky.

UNC already pulled out of WAC baseball to play in the Summit where they have some old rivals. Leaving the Big Sky, for a league which they have zero connection, not a logical move. I highly doubt they are going anywhere.

JSU
KSU
UCA
EKU
UNA

lionsrking2
December 22nd, 2020, 04:29 PM
The SLC website has an article about the early signing period and lists schools by name. No UCA or SFA. Hmmmm

Wouldn't shock me if those are the only two that pull the trigger. UCA to A-Sun is doable and makes some sense given their past history in Division II. SFA is a basketball school and wants "greener" pastures in hoops. If they have the budget to fly around the country for conference games, more power to them. The WAC simply doesn't make sense financially for Sam and Lamar, and probably ACU as well. As much as they may want to leave, I don't see it happening from a logical perspective. Leaves the Southland with nine FB schools, makes for a convenient eight game league schedule, and leaves room for an FBS and a couple of non-conference FCS games. Also leaves room for an A&M-Commerce or another D-II move up.

TexasTerror
December 23rd, 2020, 11:14 AM

According to their official websites, neither Stephen F Austin or Central Arkansas have officially announced early signings. It's amusing that UCA and more so SFA fans continue to indicate that this 'means' something in the scheme of expansion and what's happening in the league.

Wouldn't shock me if those are the only two that pull the trigger. UCA to A-Sun is doable and makes some sense given their past history in Division II. SFA is a basketball school and wants "greener" pastures in hoops. If they have the budget to fly around the country for conference games, more power to them. The WAC simply doesn't make sense financially for Sam and Lamar, and probably ACU as well. As much as they may want to leave, I don't see it happening from a logical perspective. Leaves the Southland with nine FB schools, makes for a convenient eight game league schedule, and leaves room for an FBS and a couple of non-conference FCS games. Also leaves room for an A&M-Commerce or another D-II move up.

SFA is not going to leave UNLESS the other Southland schools are joining them.

LionsRKing, you are clearly not aware of what is going on behind the scenes, but this is a relatively done deal unless Sam Houston State's leadership backs out. SFA, Lamar and Abilene are all halfway out the door and the only institution that is a thorn in this plan resides in Huntsville, where the Kats do not want to leave the Southland but essentially have no other choice when those other three (particularly SFA + Lamar) are on their way out. Central Arkansas has no interest being in a league without the true 'muscle' of the conference.

You can thank several factors here...

1) Decisions related to expansion in 2013 that have backfired on the league (with exception of ACU)
2) Lack of promises being fulfilled by the schools that joined the league
3) Lack of commitment to the same financial and facility standards by the league as a whole (check out the USA Today and see who is where)
4) Decisions related to COVID (apparently there are two institutions that drove the final nail in here that really PO'ed folks)
5) Young ADs at SFA, ACU and Lamar that want to make their marks by taking a 'step' out of the Southland. Whether it is FBS jobs for them or FBS for their schools or better conferences for their schools, WAC is perceived as a step up
6) The lack of Southland willing to admit Tarleton State and upsetting the TAMU System (and their leadership subsequently taking advantage of 'fault lines' in the Southland)

Daytripper
December 23rd, 2020, 11:42 AM
According to their official websites, neither Stephen F Austin or Central Arkansas have officially announced early signings. It's amusing that UCA and more so SFA fans continue to indicate that this 'means' something in the scheme of expansion and what's happening in the league.

LionsRKing, you are clearly not aware of what is going on behind the scenes, but this is a relatively done deal unless Sam Houston State's leadership backs out. SFA, Lamar and Abilene are all halfway out the door and the only institution that is a thorn in this plan resides in Huntsville, where the Kats do not want to leave the Southland but essentially have no other choice when those other three (particularly SFA + Lamar) are on their way out. Central Arkansas has no interest being in a league without the true 'muscle' of the conference.

1) Decisions related to expansion in 2013 that have backfired on the league (with exception of ACU)
3) Lack of commitment to the same financial and facility standards by the league as a whole (check out the USA Today and see who is where)
4) Decisions related to COVID (apparently there are two institutions that drove the final nail in here that really PO'ed folks)
5) Young ADs at SFA, ACU and Lamar that want to make their marks by taking a 'step' out of the Southland. Whether it is FBS jobs for them or FBS for their schools or better conferences for their schools, WAC is perceived as a step up
6) The lack of Southland willing to admit Tarleton State and upsetting the TAMU System (and their leadership subsequently taking advantage of 'fault lines' in the Southland)

Good summary.

lionsrking2
December 23rd, 2020, 11:53 AM

Of course I'm not aware of everything going on behind the scenes and neither are you. But I get enough pieces from sources around the league to know it's not a done deal — "relatively done deal" and "halfway out the door" is not a done deal. Being pissed off, wanting to leave and threatening to leave is different than actually jumping off the bridge. I have no idea what's ultimately going to happen but my gut tells me sanity will rule over insanity in the end. We shall see.

TexasTerror
December 23rd, 2020, 12:09 PM
Of course I'm not aware of everything going on behind the scenes and neither are you. But I get enough pieces from sources around the league to know it's not a done deal — "relatively done deal" and "halfway out the door" is not a done deal. Being pissed off, wanting to leave and threatening to leave is different than actually jumping off the bridge. I have no idea what's ultimately going to happen but my gut tells me sanity will rule over insanity in the end. We shall see.

The lesson of the day is that sometimes you need to take a little risk and go out of your comfort zone.

Does the move make sense? In certain respects, it definitely does. In others, maybe not.

At the end of the day when this does occur and my gut tells me that the train has left the station (and it is just a matter of time), I am going to repeat my kudos to Sam Houston State for joining Lamar, Stephen F Austin and Abilene Christian in taking the road less traveled to reach new heights.

If this does happen the way it feels it will go down with Central Arkansas and the four Texas institutions making the jump, we can all say the Southland and its leadership had multiple opportunities and chances to "follow through" in a way that this all could be avoided.

lionsrking2
December 23rd, 2020, 12:32 PM
The lesson of the day is that sometimes you need to take a little risk and go out of your comfort zone.

Does the move make sense? In certain respects, it definitely does. In others, maybe not.

At the end of the day when this does occur and my gut tells me that the train has left the station (and it is just a matter of time), I am going to repeat my kudos to Sam Houston State for joining Lamar, Stephen F Austin and Abilene Christian in taking the road less traveled to reach new heights.

If this does happen the way it feels it will go down with Central Arkansas and the four Texas institutions making the jump, we can all say the Southland and its leadership had multiple opportunities and chances to "follow through" in a way that this all could be avoided.

Reminds me of the kids who didn't get everything they wanted at home so they ran off and joined the circus.

BEAR
December 23rd, 2020, 12:46 PM
Well well look at this crap. The SLC added UCA’s recruiting class to their article. SFA is still left off but I do wonder why they left off those two schools to begin with when the UCA recruiting class was published DAYS ago on the UCA Sports website and in the statewide newspaper. That tells me either they have a pitiful web crew or something else was going on with those two schools. Was the SLC mad UCA and SFA played fall ball and had the possibility of leaving the conference on the table? Who knows.

Libertine
December 23rd, 2020, 01:02 PM
Reminds me of the kids who didn't get everything they wanted at home so they ran off and joined the circus.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/63abe189905c035be66de6c3b548b825/tenor.gif?itemid=13134027

Does that...happen? Like...a lot?

lionsrking2
December 23rd, 2020, 01:34 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/63abe189905c035be66de6c3b548b825/tenor.gif?itemid=13134027

Does that...happen? Like...a lot?

Fortunately it does not happen much anymore, but circus runaways were somewhat common in days of old. I'll post the sarcasm button next time.

Schism55
December 23rd, 2020, 04:30 PM
Reminds me of the kids who didn't get everything they wanted at home so they ran off and joined the porn industry.

FIFY xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
December 23rd, 2020, 06:01 PM
FIFY xthumbsupx

Now that you mention it ... that too.😉

Backdraft
December 28th, 2020, 10:46 PM

I always thought that was gonna be a given and when it didn't go that way I wondered where they would end up at.

TheRevSFA
December 28th, 2020, 10:59 PM

so trying to better yourself by getting out of a conference that has zero direction and zero drive to improve is, in your mind, a bad thing?

I think someone is just suffering from fear of missing out, because their institution is about to be a very big fish in a puddle.

lionsrking2
December 28th, 2020, 11:49 PM
so trying to better yourself by getting out of a conference that has zero direction and zero drive to improve is, in your mind, a bad thing?

I think someone is just suffering from fear of missing out, because their institution is about to be a very big fish in a puddle.

No, I don't think it's a bad thing. In fact, I've long wanted to leave the Southland for something similar to what the A-Sun is trying to arrange, and get back to some semblance of our past football roots. Maybe the Texas schools leaving would potentially move us in that direction, but I don't see anything happening on our end for at least a couple of more years. If you guys want to leave, knock yourselves out. I just don't see how it's improvement, especially when you don't have a viable football setup that's cost effective. But do what you gotta do.

Laker
December 29th, 2020, 08:17 AM
There hasn't been much news on this over the holidays- can we expect actual announcements before July 1?

Outsider1
December 29th, 2020, 07:14 PM
There hasn't been much news on this over the holidays- can we expect actual announcements before July 1?

I'm hoping to hear something after the first of the year, but not sure it will happen. Maybe after basketball?

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2021, 02:27 PM

Sounds like mid January based on who you ask, what fan message board you are on and/or what media you tend to follow

All kidding aside, seems like we can expect something in next 2-3 weeks

Daytripper
January 1st, 2021, 04:01 PM
Sounds like mid January based on who you ask, what fan message board you are on and/or what media you tend to follow

I read somewhere that NAU pretty much declared that they aren't going anywhere.

WestCoastAggie
January 1st, 2021, 09:03 PM

Check the schedules for BOR/BOT meetings for all involved. That'll tell you when you'll begin to see announcements, or not.

TheRevSFA
January 3rd, 2021, 08:19 AM
Bet you hear something in the next two weeks.

katss07
January 6th, 2021, 08:45 AM
Sounds like official announcement may come by January 14th... SHSU, Lamar and ACU are officially set to join SUU, Dixie, Tarleton and SFA in the WAC, which will form a new FCS conference for 2022. Word is they will also announce plans to eventually go FBS down the road.

Laker
January 6th, 2021, 10:12 AM
Sounds like official announcement may come by January 14th... SHSU, Lamar and ACU are officially set to join SUU, Dixie, Tarleton and SFA in the WAC, which will form a new FCS conference for 2022. Word is they will also announce plans to eventually go FBS down the road.

Yes- this was on Twitter.

Pete Thamel@PeteThamel

(https://twitter.com/PeteThamel)Sources: The WAC plans to announce on Jan. 14 at NRG Stadium in Houston the formation of its FCS league, which starts play in football in 2022. The initial 7 WAC members: Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin. Southern Utah, Tarleton State and Dixie State. 1/2

Daytripper
January 6th, 2021, 11:45 AM

Pete Thamel@PeteThamel

(https://twitter.com/PeteThamel)Sources: The WAC plans to announce on Jan. 14 at NRG Stadium in Houston the formation of its FCS league, which starts play in football in 2022. The initial 7 WAC members: Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin. Southern Utah, Tarleton State and Dixie State. 1/2

He comes the Texas 4 to the WAC 2022.

Sir William
January 6th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Word is they will also announce plans to eventually go FBS down the road.

🤣 Lol!

SDFS
January 6th, 2021, 01:33 PM

Pete Thamel@PeteThamel

The second message included the following: "The WAC is expected to add two more schools in the coming months. There's a mix of DII and current FCS institutions being vetted by commissioner Jeff Hurd. The long-term goal of the league is to elevate the WAC back to FBS football later this decade." 2/3

walliver
January 6th, 2021, 01:38 PM
IMHO, this is probably the best thing for the Southland. Large megaconferences make little sense at FCS level. The conference's westward expansion seemed to leave the Louisiana schools no longer in the center of the conference.

This is obviously an outsiders view, but it comes across as a win-win situation to me.

katss07
January 6th, 2021, 02:03 PM
藍 Lol!
This is all per Matt Brown of Extra Points. No other reason for this league to be formed if there isn't an eye towards FBS for Texas 4. Can scoff at it, but with the WAC's "grandfather clause", it seems likely that when the G5 and P5 inevitably split, the WAC will be in position to move up.

katss07
January 6th, 2021, 02:07 PM
IMHO, this is probably the best thing for the Southland. Large megaconferences make little sense at FCS level. The conference's westward expansion seemed to leave the Louisiana schools no longer in the center of the conference.

This is obviously an outsiders view, but it comes across as a win-win situation to me.
This isn't a win for the Southland at all. Losing the premier football programs in the conference (UCA and SHSU) as well as the premier basketball program (SFA) will severely hinder the conference. Wouldn't be shocked if it dies completely within the next few years. Don't think it can survive with the 4 LA schools and the private religious schools in TX unless expansion happens.

lionsrking2
January 6th, 2021, 02:29 PM
This isn't a win for the Southland at all. Losing the premier football programs in the conference (UCA and SHSU) as well as the premier basketball program (SFA) will severely hinder the conference. Wouldn't be shocked if it dies completely within the next few years. Don't think it can survive with the 4 LA schools and the private religious schools in TX unless expansion happens.

The Southland will be fine. Schools have come and gone for 60 years and it's still here. Have fun in the WAC.

Libertine
January 6th, 2021, 04:02 PM
This...

The long-term goal of the league is to elevate the WAC back to FBS football later this decade." 2/3

...and this...

There's a mix of DII and current FCS institutions being vetted by commissioner Jeff Hurd.

...don't go together.

It's a minimum five-year transition from DII to FCS and another two years to transition to FBS. For this plan to work as described, the WAC would have to find multiple D2's that have both the political and financial capital to make two massive jumps within ten years AND would have to convince any of their currently-FCS counterparts who might be frisky for FBS to hold off for at least seven years in order to avoid splitting the conference...again.

I'm not saying it can't be done but this is like my kindergartener telling me he wants to be both an astronaut and a professional soccer player when he grows up. Technically, it's not impossible but it's damn unlikely.

nodak651
January 6th, 2021, 04:22 PM
This...

...and this...

...don't go together.

It's a minimum five-year transition from DII to FCS and another two years to transition to FBS. For this plan to work as described, the WAC would have to find multiple D2's that have both the political and financial capital to make two massive jumps within ten years AND would have to convince any of their currently-FCS counterparts who might be frisky for FBS to hold off for at least seven years in order to avoid splitting the conference...again.

I'm not saying it can't be done but this is like my kindergartener telling me he wants to be both an astronaut and a professional soccer player when he grows up. Technically, it's not impossible but it's damn unlikely.

I agree, but I would hope that most conference commissioners have a long term plan for their conference. What's wrong with having a 15 year plan with this goal in mind? Worst case scenario is that they create a strong, regional, FCS conference with like-minded institutions. Maybe the commissioner knows it is unlikely, but want's to set the conference up so that it can capitalize IF the opportunity to move up arises, especially with potential change coming to the landscape of D1 football. Why does it always have to be all or nothing? Why is it either that the commissioners have all of the cards lined up and its happening NOW, or its NEVER EVER EVER remotely possible.... etc.

lionsrking2
January 6th, 2021, 04:38 PM
This...

...and this...

...don't go together.

As far as football is concerned, I predict the WAC will essentially become the Lone Star 2.0 in less than five years — except D-I instead of D-II. I don't see the Utah schools, or any other non-Texas schools surviving it in football all spread out. Hopes and dreams and reality often times conflict.

JALMOND
January 6th, 2021, 04:53 PM
As far as football is concerned, I predict the WAC will essentially become the Lone Star 2.0 in less than five years — except D-I instead of D-II. I don't see the Utah schools, or any other non-Texas schools surviving it in football all spread out. Hopes and dreams and reality often times conflict.

Kind of the reverse of what happened in 1998 when the 8 core WAC football members left after expansion into Texas and formed the Mountain West.

Outsider1
January 6th, 2021, 07:16 PM

I'm not saying it can't be done but this is like my kindergartener telling me he wants to be both an astronaut and a professional soccer player when he grows up. Technically, it's not impossible but it's damn unlikely.[/QUOTE]

Except that some of those DII schools are part of larger statewide DI university school systems with both the political and financial capital to make it happen. Will it always be successful? Who knows, but comparing it to a kindergartner is simply not true.

SDFS
January 6th, 2021, 07:52 PM
This...

...and this...

...don't go together.

I completely agree, I think under normal circumstances moving from start up to FBS in 10 years is crazy. But, I think the recent Knight report recommending that G5/P5 split off to form its own entity can be a catalyst for change. Just a quick correction to your post. I think that DII to FCS is 4 years with a conference invite. The WAC conference currently has 3 schools in this transition: Cal Baptist (2018, transition complete 2022); Dixie State and Tarleton State (2020, transition complete 2024);

I also think that we have seen multiple schools make the quick jump from lower levels/or startup to FBS in less than 10 years. Not saying they successful, but it can be done if supported by school administration:

UAB - started football in 1991, FBS 1999
South Florida - started football 1997, FBS 2001
Florida Atlantic - started football 2001, FBS 2006
South Alabama - started football 2009, FBS 2012
USTA - started football 2011, FBS 2012
Georgia St. - started football 2010, FBS 2013
Old Dominion - started football 2009, FBS 2014
Charlotte - started football 2013, FBS 2015
Coast Carolina - started football 2003, FBS 2017 (note this is more than 10 years)

katss07
January 6th, 2021, 10:08 PM
The Southland will be fine. Schools have come and gone for 60 years and it's still here. Have fun in the WAC.
Are you confident in the Southland's leadership?

lionsrking2
January 6th, 2021, 10:18 PM
Are you confident in the Southland's leadership?

I have plenty of issues with Southland leadership but the league will survive and be fine.

McCowboys
January 7th, 2021, 05:37 AM
lionsrking2, I sent you a private message.

Libertine
January 7th, 2021, 07:38 AM
Presbyterian actually took six years to transition because they missed a paperwork deadline. xembarrassedx

I also think that we have seen multiple schools make the quick jump from lower levels/or startup to FBS in less than 10 years. Not saying they successful, but it can be done if supported by school administration:

UAB - started football in 1991, FBS 1999
South Florida - started football 1997, FBS 2001
Florida Atlantic - started football 2001, FBS 2006
South Alabama - started football 2009, FBS 2012
USTA - started football 2011, FBS 2012
Georgia St. - started football 2010, FBS 2013
Old Dominion - started football 2009, FBS 2014
Charlotte - started football 2013, FBS 2015
Coast Carolina - started football 2003, FBS 2017 (note this is more than 10 years)

Technically, this list is accurate but there's a lot of extenuating circumstances to it. Existing D1 football programs have been required to start at the I-AA/FCS level when starting a new football team and USF, S. Alabama, UTSA were started with the express purpose of being FBS. So did FAU but they had to wait on a conference invite. Georgia State, ODU, Charlotte were intended to be FCS programs from inception but, due to timing of conference expansion frenzy and the size of their geographic markets, got invitations to FBS conferences that they weren't necessarily prepared to accept from an infrastructure standpoint. Coastal had no intention of going FBS at all until the Sun Belt dropped an invitation pretty much out of the blue.

Again, I'm not saying that the WAC can't pull this off. Frankly, I welcome the attempt. However, taking the entire group to FBS in a decade is a very very VERY ambitious plan.

nodak651
January 7th, 2021, 12:02 PM
Not that the Summit needs new teams right now, but if WIU left, could UCA be an option now that the Southland has imploded? I know there is talk of them moving to the Atlantic Sun, but if that does not pan out, would UCA ever be on the table? They are another Southern baseball school only 3.5 hrs from Oral Roberts, so they could make ORU happier and it could help with conference stability/reduce the threat of ORU leaving, plus it would be good for Summit baseball in the spring. They are also within driving distance to UMKC at 5.5 hours. Unlikely for it to happen, but if the Summit ever did need to add football, they have a decent program there as well.

Just wanted to throw them out there, because there has always been the idea that UNC could be a fill in if WIU ever leaves, but I have never seen UCA mentioned. They do have a smaller budget, but I'm just curious what you guys thoughts would be on this. And would UCA have any interest? Their football team could play in a football only conference or maybe as an affiliate in the southland or somewhere else.

https://imgur.com/r/Mapporn/U8ysTNo

Mocs123
January 7th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Will the Southland stay with 7 or would they look to add schools? What if UCA leaves (which apparently some people seem to think is a done deal).

lionsrking2
January 7th, 2021, 03:01 PM
Will the Southland stay with 7 or would they look to add schools? What if UCA leaves (which apparently some people seem to think is a done deal).

My understanding is UCA is gone. My guess is the league would look to add one, maybe two more. If it's Texas A&M-Commerce, I'd be fine with that as a seven school lineup. It would make non-conference scheduling tougher but would open up some opportunities for quality FCS home-and-homes or a second FBS game. Having said all that, my personal preference would be to explore an A-SUN affiliation with UCA and some old conference mates from days gone by (UNA, Jacksonville St, etc.). But I'm totally fine with a reconstituted Southland under the scenario I just mentioned.

NY Crusader 2010
January 7th, 2021, 04:41 PM
Presbyterian actually took six years to transition because they missed a paperwork deadline. xembarrassedx

Technically, this list is accurate but there's a lot of extenuating circumstances to it. Existing D1 football programs have been required to start at the I-AA/FCS level when starting a new football team and USF, S. Alabama, UTSA were started with the express purpose of being FBS. So did FAU but they had to wait on a conference invite. Georgia State, ODU, Charlotte were intended to be FCS programs from inception but, due to timing of conference expansion frenzy and the size of their geographic markets, got invitations to FBS conferences that they weren't necessarily prepared to accept from an infrastructure standpoint. Coastal had no intention of going FBS at all until the Sun Belt dropped an invitation pretty much out of the blue.

Again, I'm not saying that the WAC can't pull this off. Frankly, I welcome the attempt. However, taking the entire group to FBS in a decade is a very very VERY ambitious plan.

I'm fairly certain that UNC Charlotte started football knowing they had the invite to C-USA after the conclusion of the transition period. I thought they moved basketball and other sports to C-USA before the football team finished the transition. But you're correct ODU and Ga State started football not knowing if/when they'd get an FBS conference invite.

dgtw
January 7th, 2021, 05:53 PM
I'm fairly certain that UNC Charlotte started football knowing they had the invite to C-USA after the conclusion of the transition period. I thought they moved basketball and other sports to C-USA before the football team finished the transition. But you're correct ODU and Ga State started football not knowing if/when they'd get an FBS conference invite.

They had been in CUSA earlier and got kicked out along with St. Louis when the conference passed a rule requiring members to sponsor football.

McCowboys
January 7th, 2021, 06:41 PM
My understanding is UCA is gone. My guess is the league would look to add one, maybe two more. If it's Texas A&M-Commerce, I'd be fine with that as a seven school lineup. It would make non-conference scheduling tougher but would open up some opportunities for quality FCS home-and-homes or a second FBS game. Having said all that, my personal preference would be to explore an A-SUN affiliation with UCA and some old conference mates from days gone by (UNA, Jacksonville St, etc.). But I'm totally fine with a reconstituted Southland under the scenario I just mentioned.

Thank you, Mr. Lion, for the private chat!

lionsrking2
January 7th, 2021, 09:45 PM

xthumbsupx

Daytripper
January 8th, 2021, 07:37 AM

Do we have a flowering bromance here? xlolx

McCowboys
January 8th, 2021, 08:28 AM
Do we have a flowering bromance here? xlolx

You'll never know.

katss07
January 8th, 2021, 11:12 AM
You'll never know.
What?

BEAR
January 8th, 2021, 03:18 PM
I’m hearing that UCA was ready to announce but they are waiting on EKU to do something. Hopefully by the 15th. Who knows though.

WestCoastAggie
January 8th, 2021, 03:19 PM
I’m hearing that UCA was ready to announce but they are waiting on EKU to do something. Hopefully by the 15th. Who knows though.

Second thoughts on paying that OVC exit fee, perhaps.

Professor
January 8th, 2021, 04:29 PM
Not a bad conference to me

Nicholls State
SELA
McNeese St
Central AR
NW St
HBU
Incarnate Word

Daytripper
January 8th, 2021, 07:57 PM
Not a bad conference to me

Nicholls State
SELA
McNeese St
Central AR
NW St
HBU
Incarnate Word

Agree. But UCA will be in the ASUN. The SLC could be competitive though. SELA and Nicholls are currently consistent winners. HBU flashed this year. Incarnate Word has been building something with their coach.

lionsrking2
January 8th, 2021, 10:13 PM
Agree. But UCA will be in the ASUN.

A few of us could be.

Daytripper
January 9th, 2021, 09:35 AM
A few of us could be.

I think that would be the best move overall for most of the LA schools. Better, at least, than a watered-down and reconstituted Southland.

Libertine
January 9th, 2021, 07:04 PM
I'm fairly certain that UNC Charlotte started football knowing they had the invite to C-USA after the conclusion of the transition period.

A friend of mine was on that initial coaching staff at UNCC and they had no indication whatsoever that FBS was coming. All the start-up planning, funding and recruiting was done with an FCS program in mind. That's the largest part of the reason that Charlotte football was so bad for as long as it was -- and it was so very bad -- was because it took that long for recruiting budgets as well as funding the administrative infrastructure necessary to compete at that level.

Keeper
January 10th, 2021, 12:36 AM
A friend of mine was on that initial coaching staff at UNCC and they had no indication whatsoever that FBS was coming. All the start-up planning, funding and recruiting was done with an FCS program in mind. That's the largest part of the reason that Charlotte football was so bad for as long as it was -- and it was so very bad -- was because it took that long for recruiting budgets as well as funding the administrative infrastructure necessary to compete at that level.

Not exactly per excerpt from Wikipedia article:
In December 2007, the Football Feasibility Committee voted unanimously to recommend the addition of 49ers football. In September 2008, a major student-led March to the Endzone rally was held on campus.[9] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_49ers_football#cite_note-9) On September 18, 2008, Chancellor Dubois officially recommended adding a 49ers football program with the condition that its fans first raise $5 million to help fund the stadium complex.[10] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_49ers_football#cite_note-10) On November 13, 2008, the UNC Charlotte Board of Trustees voted to add a Charlotte 49ers football program by 2013.[11] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_49ers_football#cite_note-11)
Chancellor Dubois originally recommended that the university start Division I (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I_(NCAA)) football at the FCS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Football_Championship_Subdivision) (formerly Division I-AA) level with no timeline to move up to FBS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Bowl_Subdivision). The team played their first full season in the fall of 2013 as an FCS Independent.[12] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_49ers_football#cite_note-12) On May 4, 2012 Charlotte agreed to rejoin Conference USA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_USA) for all sports except football in 2013, with football joining in 2015 (the first year the 49ers would be eligible due to the NCAA requirement that start-up programs play a minimum of two years in FCS).

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2021, 09:58 PM
Agree. But UCA will be in the ASUN. The SLC could be competitive though. SELA and Nicholls are currently consistent winners. HBU flashed this year. Incarnate Word has been building something with their coach.

HBU flashed what...? They showed us what Western Kentucky’s offense will look like next year. Without their star QB and WRs, they will be back to what we have expected from Vic Shealy

Professor
January 11th, 2021, 12:59 PM
I think that would be the best move overall for most of the LA schools. Better, at least, than a watered-down and reconstituted Southland.

How fast do you think an announcement to the ASUN could happen for the remaining schools

Daytripper
January 11th, 2021, 02:07 PM
How fast do you think an announcement to the ASUN could happen for the remaining schools

I have no idea. Most all decision makers have been treating this thing like the Manhattan Project with their secrecy.

BEAR
January 11th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Looks like the SLC has hired an institution hunting company to find replacements according to their website.

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2021, 05:01 PM
Looks like the SLC has hired an institution hunting company to find replacements according to their website.

https://www.southland.org/news/2021/1/11/general-southland-engages-with-eastman-beaudine-inc-to-assist-in-future-planning-membership-exploration.aspx

Daytripper
January 11th, 2021, 06:05 PM
https://www.southland.org/news/2021/1/11/general-southland-engages-with-eastman-beaudine-inc-to-assist-in-future-planning-membership-exploration.aspx

Smells like desperation.

lionsrking2
January 11th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Smells like desperation.

More like a waste of money.

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2021, 10:12 AM
More like a waste of money.

Why is it a waste of money? The Southland schools are investing some of the monies made from the five exiting institutions (apparently it's now negotiated, the exit fees) into their conference and its future. I am curious to see if the conference office moves and a rebrand of the league happens. I think there's some value in the Southland Conference name just because of the longevity of the league, but perhaps a fresh start is in order? The Lake Charles writer may have just been blowing smoke though the Gulf Star conference was housed in Lake Charles when some of these schools were together in the mid 1980s.

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Why is it a waste of money? The Southland schools are investing some of the monies made from the five exiting institutions (apparently it's now negotiated, the exit fees) into their conference and its future. I am curious to see if the conference office moves and a rebrand of the league happens. I think there's some value in the Southland Conference name just because of the longevity of the league, but perhaps a fresh start is in order? The Lake Charles writer may have just been blowing smoke though the Gulf Star conference was housed in Lake Charles when some of these schools were together in the mid 1980s.

Because you dont need to hire a firm to do that.

TheRevSFA
January 12th, 2021, 10:33 AM

they can’t run a conference successfully, what makes you think they can bring in new schools to fill a huge void successfully? Unless you want Mississippi college.

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2021, 10:37 AM
they can’t run a conference successfully, what makes you think they can bring in new schools to fill a huge void successfully? Unless you want Mississippi college.

Schools come and go. The conference will be fine. Move on along now.

WestCoastAggie
January 12th, 2021, 10:39 AM

And I thought the MEAC had some questionable conference leadership.

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2021, 11:40 AM

Does it have more to do with concerns about the last "additions" to the league almost a decade ago that led to this current situation... and wanting more knowledgeable hands on the discussion(s) regarding conference affiliation

TheRevSFA
January 12th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Does it have more to do with concerns about the last "additions" to the league almost a decade ago that led to this current situation... and wanting more knowledgeable hands on the discussion(s) regarding conference affiliation

no I think he’s just cranky because SLU is being left behind in a mediocre conference.

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2021, 12:11 PM
no I think he’s just cranky because SLU is being left behind in a mediocre conference.

I don’t consider losing one good program being left behind.

TheRevSFA
January 12th, 2021, 12:52 PM
I don’t consider losing one good program being left behind.

See, you’re just looking at this with football blinders on. We are looking at all sports. Probably why no one from Louisiana has won a commissioners cup this century.

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2021, 01:04 PM
See, you’re just looking at this with football blinders on. We are looking at all sports. Probably why no one from Louisiana has won a commissioners cup this century.

Of course you are, you're a basketball school.

WestCoastAggie
January 12th, 2021, 07:16 PM
https://twitter.com/KatFansDotCom/status/1349147237276934144

Outsider1
January 12th, 2021, 07:37 PM

That was my thought. Are they really going to change their spots? If the SLC really wasn't investing like they should have been in the institutions they had, what makes them think this will be different?

TheRevSFA
January 12th, 2021, 09:20 PM
Of course you are, you're a basketball school.

yeah and you’ve made more money from us with basketball than we have for any of the football post season appearances by Sam and others.

you’re welcome.

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2021, 09:59 PM
yeah and you’ve made more money from us with basketball than we have for any of the football post season appearances by Sam and others.

you’re welcome.

And with the negotiated exit fee (less than half of what was required by bylaws due to desire to boot schools from the league), SLU is once again making $$ on the back of the Texas schools.

Backdraft
January 12th, 2021, 11:41 PM
https://twitter.com/KatFansDotCom/status/1349147237276934144

You take Prairie View A&M out of that conversation. There is nothing the Southland can offer over what the Swac has.

lionsrking2
January 13th, 2021, 12:51 AM
And with the negotiated exit fee (less than half of what was required by bylaws due to desire to boot schools from the league), SLU is once again making $$ on the back of the Texas schools.

We appreciate it. Now move along.

katss07
January 13th, 2021, 09:50 AM
You take Prairie View A&M out of that conversation. There is nothing the Southland can offer over what the Swac has.
There was nothing that the WAC could offer over what the Southland had.

TheRevSFA
January 13th, 2021, 10:00 AM
There was nothing that the WAC could offer over what the Southland had.

okay...

OhioHen
January 13th, 2021, 10:24 AM

Avoiding trips to Florida for non-revenue sports comes to mind.

To be fair, though, the loss of traditional opponents and rivalries would be a huge detriment to any conference affiliation change for SWAC members.

Laker
January 13th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Sounds like the Southland wants them out early.

Pete Thamel@PeteThamel
(https://twitter.com/PeteThamel)
Sources: Four of the schools heading to the WAC will do so in all sports effective July 1 of this year. Those are Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin, which had been slated to go in 2022. Southern Utah is still slated to join in July of 2022 in all sport

WestCoastAggie
January 13th, 2021, 01:03 PM

To be fair, though, the loss of traditional opponents and rivalries would be a huge detriment to any conference affiliation change for SWAC members.

One of those schools will get the short end of the stick in this regards until they can get to 14 teams.

solohawks
January 13th, 2021, 09:42 PM
My travel friendly scenario....the Southland takes the 5 SWAC West schools and settles back at 13 with a 6 team Texas/Arkansas division and a 7 team Louisiana division. If there is a D2 Texas school that did want to upgrade, there is room for a 14th to even things out.

The SWAC would then be at the bare minimum of 7 all sports schools while the MEAC would also be at the bare minimum with 6 football schools and 2 non sports affiliates. Both conferences could continue to operate separately as is, but if another school left on either side, they could merge to preserve the auto bids and focus on strict divisional play

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2021, 10:00 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ers90sDXcAAwGIT?format=jpg&name=large

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2021, 11:11 AM
Northwestern State confirms Central Arkansas plans to move to the Atlantic Sun in their announcement

Northwestern State (https://nsudemons.com/news/2021/1/14/general-statement-from-northwestern-state-athletics.aspx)

BEAR
January 14th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Woah. UCA Sports has changed the look of it's website BIG time! Looks so much cleaner and more block form for the links. Why in the world would they change it now?

They still have the Southland logo on the bottom of the page though.

The reason I mention this is because the website looked different just yesterday if I recall correctly. Wonder if the announcement by the Texas 4 today had something to do with this change.

Daytripper
January 14th, 2021, 02:53 PM
Woah. UCA Sports has changed the look of it's website BIG time! Looks so much cleaner and more block form for the links. Why in the world would they change it now?

They still have the Southland logo on the bottom of the page though.

The reason I mention this is because the website looked different just yesterday if I recall correctly. Wonder if the announcement by the Texas 4 today had something to do with this change.

In my experience website redesign is a long process. It doesn't happen overnight. My guess is that the timing is a coincidence.

BEAR
January 14th, 2021, 03:46 PM
In my experience website redesign is a long process. It doesn't happen overnight. My guess is that the timing is a coincidence.

Yeah. I agree. But UCA doesn't put effort into their websites.....EVER. Pretty pathetic typically. xlolx

McNeese72
January 15th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Between the pandemic and the damage from two hurricanes 6 weeks apart, I think McNeese is pretty much stuck in the Southland for now. After we get things back together, I think President Burkell may start looking for us to make a move. I think the Sunbelt would be the choice of most McNeese fans.

Doc

lionsrking2
January 15th, 2021, 06:02 PM
Yeah. I agree. But UCA doesn't put effort into their websites.....EVER. Pretty pathetic typically. xlolx

It's a Sidearm thing. A lot of us who use Sidearm had the same website update.

lionsrking2
January 15th, 2021, 06:06 PM
Between the pandemic and the damage from two hurricanes 6 weeks apart, I think McNeese is pretty much stuck in the Southland for now. After we get things back together, I think President Burkell may start looking for us to make a move. I think the Sunbelt would be the choice of most McNeese fans.

Doc

Hearing we (Louisiana schools) may play each other home-and-home in the fall.

lionsrking2
January 15th, 2021, 06:12 PM

You apparently don't know your leadership that well.

BEAR
January 15th, 2021, 06:21 PM
It's a Sidearm thing. A lot of us who use Sidearm had the same website update.

I thought it looked different. A company wide website upgrade. Makes sense.

Panther88
January 15th, 2021, 06:48 PM
You apparently don't know your leadership that well.

Au contraire. He's very plugged in. :) Trust.

lionsrking2
January 15th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Au contraire. He's very plugged in. :) Trust.

Whatever you say.

Baron Sardonicus
January 15th, 2021, 07:29 PM
The conference is reportedly hiring a consulting firm to give advice on what's next.

lionsrking2
January 15th, 2021, 07:58 PM
The conference is reportedly hiring a consulting firm to give advice on what's next.

Not reportedly — they, in fact, did hire a firm. Waste of money, IMO, because they'll tell us what we already know: It's either PVU, Texas Southern or a D-2 move up. My understanding is PVU and Texas Southern reached out to the SLC.

Baron Sardonicus
January 15th, 2021, 08:23 PM
Why hire consultants, when this message board is full of consultants?

Laker
January 15th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Why hire consultants, when this message board is full of consultants?

I've heard another term for it, but yes, there is plenty of that here! :D

caribbeanhen
January 16th, 2021, 12:13 PM
I've heard another term for it, but yes, there is plenty of that here! :D

actually the consultants should probably check this thread...

GAD
January 16th, 2021, 05:00 PM

The SWAC has an East/West setup non-revenue sports would only have to travel as far as Mississippi (Alcorn)

Panther88
January 16th, 2021, 07:07 PM
Not reportedly — they, in fact, did hire a firm. Waste of money, IMO, because they'll tell us what we already know: It's either PVU, Texas Southern or a D-2 move up. My understanding is PVU and Texas Southern reached out to the SLC.

Your understanding is very differing considering that the original architect, co-creator of the 100+ yr old SWAC, would not leave it unless we decided to ascend to FBS, which is our ultimate goal as approved by our BOR years ago. And lo' and behold, our current conf commissioner, who is also a PVAMU grad, has made it known in no uncertain terms that the conference's goal is to transition to FBS in the near future.

So no. I seriously doubt PV's braintrust would reach out to the SLC at this juncture for membership. Tell your understanding to comprehend better. xlolx

lionsrking2
January 16th, 2021, 07:34 PM
Your understanding is very differing considering that the original architect, co-creator of the 100+ yr old SWAC, would not leave it unless we decided to ascend to FBS, which is our ultimate goal as approved by our BOR years ago. And lo' and behold, our current conf commissioner, who is also a PVAMU grad, has made it known in no uncertain terms that the conference's goal is to transition to FBS in the near future.

So no. I seriously doubt PV's braintrust would reach out to the SLC at this juncture for membership. Tell your understanding to comprehend better. xlolx

I have no idea if they would leave or not, but apparently they did reach out. No harm in talking.

TheRevSFA
January 16th, 2021, 09:56 PM

I love the SWAC but there’s no way y’all go FBS with MVSU as part of the conference.

Panther88
January 16th, 2021, 11:34 PM
I love the SWAC but there’s no way y’all go FBS with MVSU as part of the conference.

Our commish made this a commitment by the conference as a whole where "no one gets left behind."

We will see how it goes.

TheRevSFA
January 17th, 2021, 08:26 AM
Our commish made this a commitment by the conference as a whole where "no one gets left behind."

We will see how it goes.

I hope it does but a lot of funds need to go to Itta Bena

WestCoastAggie
January 17th, 2021, 09:26 AM
The SWAC has an East/West setup non-revenue sports would only have to travel as far as Mississippi (Alcorn)

There will be years that a TX team will have to travel to Alabama, Arkansas and Florida in the same year, for multiple non-revenue teams.

ASU33
January 17th, 2021, 10:06 AM
I have no idea if they would leave or not, but apparently they did reach out. No harm in talking.

Somebody, somewhere is lying because during media days this week and then again on yesterday PVs AD reiterated that they haven't reached out to anyone recently and have no desires to part from the conference.

lionsrking2
January 17th, 2021, 10:23 AM
Somebody, somewhere is lying because during media days this week and then again on yesterday PVs AD reiterated that they haven't reached out to anyone recently and have no desires to part from the conference.

Correct, someone is not telling the truth.

WestCoastAggie
January 17th, 2021, 10:32 AM
Someone is indeed lying but if nothing comes of these rumors this time, the liar has all the cover they need.

A move like this is very polarizing for a D1 HBCU.

Panther88
January 17th, 2021, 11:55 AM
There will be years that a TX team will have to travel to Alabama, Arkansas and Florida in the same year, for multiple non-revenue teams.

We travel to Arkansas annually because they are in our division. If a rotation w/ a onesie here or there occurs to either of Alabama or Florida for football, we are financially prepared for it, I'm fairly certain.

Those folk holding those positions get paid a lot of $$$ to figure these things out, unlike us here attempting to "guesstimate."

WestCoastAggie
January 17th, 2021, 01:02 PM
We travel to Arkansas annually because they are in our division. If a rotation w/ a onesie here or there occurs to either of Alabama or Florida for football, we are financially prepared for it, I'm fairly certain.

Those folk holding those positions get paid a lot of $$$ to figure these things out, unlike us here attempting to "guesstimate."

And those in these paid positions are indeed looking at EVERY option available. When I learned of the internal notes and into that went into A&T’s move and FAMU’s move, I was shocked.

Best believe your alma mater and Texas Southern will probably do the same thing, and were perhaps doing this planning for years on whether to stay or go.

IMHO, I think PV does stay but Texas Southern could in fact move to the SLC. And another team the SLC should look into is MVSU.

But either way, it’s a polarizing decision,

dgtw
January 17th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Someone is indeed lying but if nothing comes of these rumors this time, the liar has all the cover they need.

A move like this is very polarizing for a D1 HBCU.

If I have a job interview I am not going to be honest to my boss about why I need to leave work early. No different than an AD “lying” about changing conferences.

Yes, they aren’t telling the truth about this but I wouldn’t call him a dishonest person. And I do understand the HBCU members have a tighter bond than other leagues.

Panther88
January 19th, 2021, 12:11 PM
And those in these paid positions are indeed looking at EVERY option available. When I learned of the internal notes and into that went into A&T’s move and FAMU’s move, I was shocked.

Best believe your alma mater and Texas Southern will probably do the same thing, and were perhaps doing this planning for years on whether to stay or go.

IMHO, I think PV does stay but Texas Southern could in fact move to the SLC. And another team the SLC should look into is MVSU.

But either way, it’s a polarizing decision,

As I sated earlier, PVAMU will never seek a lateral move or a move which actually weakens us. We are moving straight-forward, ahead, and that is the agreed upon and accepted stance documented by our BORs years ago.

I'm more intrigued that sister school Tarleton St and possibly TXA&M-Comm jumped to FCS but they certainly have #s to support their upward trend. The schools we were eyeing for a duration were UNT-Denton and olden Southwest Tx St, inclusive of its rebranding @ TxStU - their jump to FBS.

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2021, 01:51 PM
As I sated earlier, PVAMU will never seek a lateral move or a move which actually weakens us. We are moving straight-forward, ahead, and that is the agreed upon and accepted stance documented by our BORs years ago.

I'm more intrigued that sister school Tarleton St and possibly TXA&M-Comm jumped to FCS but they certainly have #s to support their upward trend. The schools we were eyeing for a duration were UNT-Denton and olden Southwest Tx St, inclusive of its rebranding @ TxStU - their jump to FBS.

I asked C-Leb this on TSPN... "I'm curious what you are hearing C-Leb, as it relates to Texas Southern & Prairie View A&M. Who made the first call? And was the interest shared by the one(s) on the receiving end? If those two schools were not interested in moving then, not sure how the additions of FAMU / BC-U to the SWAC and departures of SHSU / SFA / Lamar / ACU / UCA make for interest now?"

88 - I think we can all agree to the fact that there was communication between the Southland and the schools. The question(s) surround who initiated it and if the person on the other line were receptive. I am going to guess that the SWAC two were not, but certainly willing to listen. The SWAC has an eye on upward mobility due to their brand and top of mind awareness in the marketplace even if their athletic product is not up to par with many other low major conferences.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 19th, 2021, 03:27 PM
The best path a lot of these schools have for FBS is to go the Liberty route and form a new league with existing independents:

It could look something like this:
UConn
UMass
Liberty
JMU (would get the league with the northern presence they apparently want)
New Mexico State
Sam Houston State
Jax State
Central Arkansas

Probably not what some would consider ideal, but the idea of the proposed lineup of WAC or A-Sun football schools moving up to FBS is comical.

Panther88
January 19th, 2021, 03:41 PM
I asked C-Leb this on TSPN... "I'm curious what you are hearing C-Leb, as it relates to Texas Southern & Prairie View A&M. Who made the first call? And was the interest shared by the one(s) on the receiving end? If those two schools were not interested in moving then, not sure how the additions of FAMU / BC-U to the SWAC and departures of SHSU / SFA / Lamar / ACU / UCA make for interest now?"

88 - I think we can all agree to the fact that there was communication between the Southland and the schools. The question(s) surround who initiated it and if the person on the other line were receptive. I am going to guess that the SWAC two were not, but certainly willing to listen. The SWAC has an eye on upward mobility due to their brand and top of mind awareness in the marketplace even if their athletic product is not up to par with many other low major conferences.

The constituents who support the product w/ their $$$/butts in the seats will have the final say on the direction. If the constituents are okay w/ the product or seek to improve the product, which is being addressed as I type, they will have the final say in direction in terms of $$$/support.

I think the fact that the SWAC has led attendance 98.9% of the time since then i-aa/fcs was created speaks volumes on what our base desires. :)

Looking forward to OOC battle vs schools close in proximity to PVAMU. We expect victory OOC and IC in year 3 of our newest era.

WestCoastAggie
January 19th, 2021, 07:37 PM
The constituents who support the product w/ their $$$/butts in the seats will have the final say on the direction. If the constituents are okay w/ the product or seek to improve the product, which is being addressed as I type, they will have the final say in direction in terms of $$$/support.

I think the fact that the SWAC has led attendance 98.9% of the time since then i-aa/fcs was created speaks volumes on what our base desires. :)

Looking forward to OOC battle vs schools close in proximity to PVAMU. We expect victory OOC and IC in year 3 of our newest era.

Those "Butts in seats" will have final say, and not the Chancellor/President or the Board of Trustees? How will this vote be? By phone or via email?

WestCoastAggie
January 19th, 2021, 07:42 PM

You never know what's really going on in these conversations behind the scenes and what officials are really looking into. While I don't think any of them will move, the addition of Bethune-Cookman and Florida A&M without Tennessee State hurts. Things are imbalanced in all sports. How enthusiastic will either Texas school be sending their olympic teams on trips to back-to-back weekend trips to Alabama and Florida?

Those were things that peeved off student athletes at A&T and A&T's staff.

DFW HOYA
January 19th, 2021, 08:15 PM
The best path a lot of these schools have for FBS is to go the Liberty route and form a new league with existing independents:

It could look something like this:
UConn
UMass
Liberty
JMU (would get the league with the northern presence they apparently want)
New Mexico State
Sam Houston State
Jax State
Central Arkansas.

That's dead on arrival. Instead, look to a mix of independents and G5 schools looking for a tighter geographic fit in football and park other sports elsewhere, such as...

Buffalo
Connecticut
James Madison
Old Dominion
Marshall
Massachusetts
Navy
Temple

Panther88
January 19th, 2021, 11:56 PM
Those "Butts in seats" will have final say, and not the Chancellor/President or the Board of Trustees? How will this vote be? By phone or via email?

Chancellor? BOT? What are those? xlolx

We locals are aware of our power heirarchy and how things get accomplished here. We don't have to wait for an official release to get the 411 straight from the horse's mouth. xlolx

Panther88
January 20th, 2021, 12:04 AM
R
You never know what's really going on in these conversations behind the scenes and what officials are really looking into. While I don't think any of them will move, the addition of Bethune-Cookman and Florida A&M without Tennessee State hurts. Things are imbalanced in all sports. How enthusiastic will either Texas school be sending their olympic teams on trips to back-to-back weekend trips to Alabama and Florida?

Still not understanding how SWAC divisions work huh? There will never be back-to-back non-rev sports trips to... nevermind. xlolx

Keep speculating. lol

PVAMU joined the SWAC in 1983 lol so obviously PV-power doesn't know what it's doing w/ regards to scheduling/travel, since it is still a recent type SWAC affiliation. xlolx

ASU33
January 20th, 2021, 04:47 AM

There's no back to back weekend trips cross division in the SWAC. The divisions were split to eliminate that from happening.

Backdraft
January 20th, 2021, 05:26 AM
R

Still not understanding how SWAC divisions work huh? There will never be back-to-back non-rev sports trips to... nevermind. xlolx

Keep speculating. lol

Yep, he don't know how they schedule meets, matches and games for those sports. They really don't play in cross division games unless it's at a Roundup which usually is planned well in advance. It's similar to having mini tournaments amongst each other that's travel friendly for schools.

TexasTerror
January 20th, 2021, 06:56 AM
Editorial in the Lake Charles paper about McNeese not being left behind and at the same time, the leadership McNeese has to show to right the ship

https://www.americanpress.com/sports/analysis-slc-defections-leave-questions-opportunities/article_854d932c-5a71-11eb-a80a-5f5a1e6bd43e.html?fbclid=IwAR15THPyUe5Wx86G0nwrbeL Ev0vdcabujHAJV-f4fffCAuxPHIFTe-P3vrE

WestCoastAggie
January 20th, 2021, 07:42 AM
Yep, he don't know how they schedule meets, matches and games for those sports. They really don't play in cross division games unless it's at a Roundup which usually is planned well in advance. It's similar to having mini tournaments amongst each other that's travel friendly for schools.

Yeah, we never did that in the MEAC. We had kids on buses from Florida to Delaware in most sports. And most tournaments were in the DC area or Florida. only the Outdoor championships and the basketball tournament in Norfolk were centrally located.

Panther88
January 20th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Editorial in the Lake Charles paper about McNeese not being left behind and at the same time, the leadership McNeese has to show to right the ship

https://www.americanpress.com/sports/analysis-slc-defections-leave-questions-opportunities/article_854d932c-5a71-11eb-a80a-5f5a1e6bd43e.html?fbclid=IwAR15THPyUe5Wx86G0nwrbeL Ev0vdcabujHAJV-f4fffCAuxPHIFTe-P3vrE

McNeese specifically should be some type of way considering its footing and has witnessed ULM, ULL, LaTech, UNT-Denton, and TxSt all bolt from the SLC into FBS'dom.

Considering Mac's notoriety and support, that's very telling, imho.

walliver
January 21st, 2021, 03:09 PM
Where would McNeese go? Would ULL and ULM allow them in the Belch? I doubt it. The A-Sun would be a possibility, but no others really come to mind. As for new Southland members, there don't seem to be a lot of options - I don't see many SWAC members making a jump. It looks like they will have to hold on until the next conference shake-up.

Milktruck74
January 21st, 2021, 03:41 PM
McNeese is quite a bit outside of the footprint the ASun/United are trying to accomplish. UCA is an outlyer, but but nowhere near as far as McNeese. If you look at the expected/anticipated potential list of schools for the United, it is basically the state of Tennessee and schools that are w/i 75 miles of the TN boarder (Conway being 150ish). and if you break it down a little more it is more so schools w/i 75 miles of the eastern half of TN, which is why UCA is even more of an outlyer....McNeese is waaaayyyyy past that....500 miles?

BEAR
January 21st, 2021, 05:41 PM
McNeese is quite a bit outside of the footprint the ASun/United are trying to accomplish. UCA is an outlyer, but but nowhere near as far as McNeese. If you look at the expected/anticipated potential list of schools for the United, it is basically the state of Tennessee and schools that are w/i 75 miles of the TN boarder (Conway being 150ish). and if you break it down a little more it is more so schools w/i 75 miles of the eastern half of TN, which is why UCA is even more of an outlyer....McNeese is waaaayyyyy past that....500 miles?

The I-40 is a beautiful thing for travel. When UCA was in the Gulf South we went to Florida, Alabama, etc. The ASUN will be similar to fans.

DFW HOYA
January 21st, 2021, 06:49 PM
The I-40 is a beautiful thing for travel. When UCA was in the Gulf South we went to Florida, Alabama, etc. The ASUN will be similar to fans.

I-81, less so. A seven hour drive to Hamilton, NY is not how you build a culture of fan support.

chrisattsu
January 21st, 2021, 09:16 PM
Chancellor? BOT? What are those? xlolx

We locals are aware of our power heirarchy and how things get accomplished here. We don't have to wait for an official release to get the 411 straight from the horse's mouth. xlolxI know very little about PV. Would there be any interest to move to the WAC if FBS was on the table in 5 years?

Same A&M BoR pushing for Tarletons move up.

Athletic budget just under 20m that is on par with Sam, SFA and Lamar

Newish stadium that holds 15k but has plan for 30k if need.

NY Crusader 2010
January 22nd, 2021, 05:31 AM
Why does everyone keep talking as if the WAC is going FBS in 5 years? On what planet does that make sense?

Daytripper
January 22nd, 2021, 06:30 AM
Why does everyone keep talking as if the WAC is going FBS in 5 years? On what planet does that make sense?

It is the stated plan from the mouth of the commissioner. Also, the college football landscape is going to look very, very different in 5-10 years.

Sir William
January 22nd, 2021, 08:28 AM
It is the stated plan from the mouth of the commissioner. Also, the college football landscape is going to look very, very different in 5-10 years.

Saying it and doing it are 2 different things. Commissioners are apt to make bold futuristic statements about what is possible, but not necessarily probable. It makes them feel good.

It’s not that most people on AGS are trying to rain on the WAC’s parade on this subject; it’s just that it’s seems so reasonably unlikely. It’s more likely (but mostly doubtful IMO) that 1 or 2 teams in this pending WAC could maybe decide to move up to FBS at some point down the road. Maybe.

If this WAC were to move up to FBS in 5-6 yrs, with a changing college football landscape, one thing would remain constant - the Power 5 will still dominate that landscape. And the champion from this “FBS” WAC (consisting on these pending members) will play in some obscure bowl the week before Christmas.

Congrats on the new conference. Focus on FCS. But let’s not lose our minds. 😊

chrisattsu
January 22nd, 2021, 08:38 AM
It is the stated plan from the mouth of the commissioner. Also, the college football landscape is going to look very, very different in 5-10 years.Correct. During the Texas4 announcement. Commishioner Hurd said that they will to start an FCS league with plans to move to FBS within the decade.

WAC still holds the golden ticket to restart FBS according to NCAA bylaws which was confirmed during Idahos move to Big Sky.

This aligns with what the NMSU AD said months ago during an interview. Someone asked about leaving the WAC for an FBS conference and he said that he was open to all options (except FCS) including restarting FBS WAC. Talks with Tarleton said that they are on board with this.

Tarleton President and AD stated that FBS is a stated goal for local and TAMU System leaders.

Lamar supposed wanted FBS before and this gives them an avenue.

Sam and SFA have watched former conference mates make this jump and may want to be seen at the same level as Texas State/UTSA rather than Incarnate Word.

Budgets and facilities need work at all of these schools. However dangling an FBS move is a shiny toy that allows them to establish capital campaigns to engage alumni or coax students into increased fees.

DFW HOYA
January 22nd, 2021, 01:49 PM
WAC still holds the golden ticket to restart FBS according to NCAA bylaws which was confirmed during Idahos move to Big Sky.

Who else has this provision? Big East? PCAA/Big West? Ivy?

Panther88
January 22nd, 2021, 02:21 PM
I know very little about PV. Would there be any interest to move to the WAC if FBS was on the table in 5 years?

Same A&M BoR pushing for Tarletons move up.

Athletic budget just under 20m that is on par with Sam, SFA and Lamar

Newish stadium that holds 15k but has plan for 30k if need.

Zero interest from fans/supporters such as self. I cannot speak on behalf of the leadership for they are the ultimate decision makers. We were aware years ago of the push by the A&M/BORs to push Tarleton to expand (geographically <towards FTW>, enrollment wise, and enter the D-I market).

The SWAC commish is SWAC born/bred and is a PVAMU and txa&m grad, so do the math w/ regards to allegiance; the SWAC conf leadership has made it known that it is intent on the entire conference moving to FBS @ some juncture. SWAC football venues are all upgraded comparable venues @ the FCS level, currently.

The A&M/BORs are "funny," imho. They have a deal (jealousy) going w/ the ut-system in the # of recent-type growth of the ut-system FBS schools comparative to the AM-Sys' only one @ B/CS. The funding for PV's upgraded athletic facilities 6+ years ago was affirmed in large part noting that PVAMU @ some juncture will "close the bowl to accommodate seating for 33K and become a member of a Division I FBS football conference."

SHSU is a monstrosity, imho, which should have bolted for FBS'dom eons ago - considering their enrollment #s/growth - what is it.... 22K? 23K? 24K? Thereabouts? SFA and Lamar have enrollment #s. PVAMU does not. We're ~9500 or so bordering 10K, thereabouts. (???)

chrisattsu
January 22nd, 2021, 08:34 PM
Zero interest from fans/supporters such as self. I cannot speak on behalf of the leadership for they are the ultimate decision makers. We were aware years ago of the push by the A&M/BORs to push Tarleton to expand (geographically <towards FTW>, enrollment wise, and enter the D-I market).

The SWAC commish is SWAC born/bred and is a PVAMU and txa&m grad, so do the math w/ regards to allegiance; the SWAC conf leadership has made it known that it is intent on the entire conference moving to FBS @ some juncture. SWAC football venues are all upgraded comparable venues @ the FCS level, currently.

The A&M/BORs are "funny," imho. They have a deal (jealousy) going w/ the ut-system in the # of recent-type growth of the ut-system FBS schools comparative to the AM-Sys' only one @ B/CS. The funding for PV's upgraded athletic facilities 6+ years ago was affirmed in large part noting that PVAMU @ some juncture will "close the bowl to accommodate seating for 33K and become a member of a Division I FBS football conference."

SHSU is a monstrosity, imho, which should have bolted for FBS'dom eons ago - considering their enrollment #s/growth - what is it.... 22K? 23K? 24K? Thereabouts? SFA and Lamar have enrollment #s. PVAMU does not. We're ~9500 or so bordering 10K, thereabouts. (???)Thank you the detailed response.

I figured your answer might be something like that.

Coogkat15
January 22nd, 2021, 09:55 PM

SHSU is a monstrosity, imho, which should have bolted for FBS'dom eons ago - considering their enrollment #s/growth - what is it.... 22K? 23K? 24K? Thereabouts? SFA and Lamar have enrollment #s. PVAMU does not. We're ~9500 or so bordering 10K, thereabouts. (???)

Agree on all points but SHSU’s problem revolves around the U’s ability to provide and fun and engaging game day experience to get fans and alumni back engaged and into seats in Huntsville. I don’t believe it’s beyond repair. SHSU had sellouts in the mid to late 2010s during the deep playoff runs and national championship appearances and even now the games in Houston (BOTPW, HBU, TXSU) fans fills the stadium, particularly during the games at NRG where there’s 22k plus SHSU fans are in attendance.

That doesn’t scream to be beyond repair. That reeks of an out of touch marketing and athletic department. I remember times not too long ago when their weren’t enough seats for fans at Bowers. Students rushing in, in their cap and gowns after graduation, 13k fans (sold out) rushing the field. That wasn’t 20 years ago, that was in 2012. Hopefully the renovations and improvements at Bowers is a step in the right direction. I don’t think it’s lack of fielding a competitive team. Sams outreach to students, locals and alumni just sucks. I hear all the time, folks just rather watch the game on television than drive to Huntsville.

NY Crusader 2010
January 23rd, 2021, 07:39 AM
Who else has this provision? Big East? PCAA/Big West? Ivy?

The Missouri Valley was also a I-A conference until the mid-1980's with the likes of Louisville, New Mexico State, Wichita State, Memphis, Indiana State in the league.

chrisattsu may be right about the WAC having a golden bullet. The WAC simply saw FBS football membership drop to zero while remaining active as a D-I sports conference. The other scenarios were different.

Ivy -- got knocked down because 6 of the 8 members didn't meet the 15K attendance figure enforced at the time. I guess the Ivy could lobby to move back up in theory if they proved sufficient attendance figures but obviously this development will never take place. This would also be pointless as they would still have a post-season ban and would continue to play a 10-game schedule as well as the same non-conference teams every year -- so nothing would really change except they might schedule Army more often.

Big East - The AAC is considered the Big East's "legal successor" in football and inherited the Big East's BCS slot for the final year of the BCS Bowl Series. In other sports AAC was effectively a "new conference" to my understanding. Complicated but door probably shut in the unlikely event that Georgetown, Villanova, Butler and UCONN wanted to spearhead an FBS football conference (hey maybe ND would come back!!).

Big West - It's my understanding that the Big West effectively re-badged to the Sun Belt at the I-A level sometime around 2000. Similar to the A-10 Football conference becoming the CAA Football conference.

Missouri Valley - The MVFC is not directly related to the Missouri Valley Conference proper, to my understanding. So probably a no here. Even though this would be the conference most primed to "move up" as a whole, and by a landslide.

Not sure what the PCAA was -- I could use a history lesson. California schools like Pacific, Fullerton, Long Beach, Fresno State, SJSU and SDSU I'm guessing?

Daytripper
January 23rd, 2021, 07:48 AM
Agree on all points but SHSU’s problem revolves around the U’s ability to provide and fun and engaging game day experience to get fans and alumni back engaged and into seats in Huntsville. I don’t believe it’s beyond repair. SHSU had sellouts in the mid to late 2010s during the deep playoff runs and national championship appearances and even now the games in Houston (BOTPW, HBU, TXSU) fans fills the stadium, particularly during the games at NRG where there’s 22k plus SHSU fans are in attendance.

That doesn’t scream to be beyond repair. That reeks of an out of touch marketing and athletic department. I remember times not too long ago when their weren’t enough seats for fans at Bowers. Students rushing in, in their cap and gowns after graduation, 13k fans (sold out) rushing the field. That wasn’t 20 years ago, that was in 2012. Hopefully the renovations and improvements at Bowers is a step in the right direction. I don’t think it’s lack of fielding a competitive team. Sams outreach to students, locals and alumni just sucks. I hear all the time, folks just rather watch the game on television than drive to Huntsville.

https://media.giphy.com/media/dXFKDUolyLLi8gq6Cl/giphy.gif

Backdraft
January 25th, 2021, 12:02 AM
Great interview with Southland Commissioner

https://youtu.be/cnTfaZZKyRo

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2021, 01:00 AM
Great interview with Southland Commissioner

https://youtu.be/cnTfaZZKyRo

Good stuff and much appreciated. Tom Burnett is a class guy and a good commissioner for our league IMO. We'll have a shifting lineup but the Southland will be just fine moving forward.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2021, 09:00 AM
Confirmation on the exit fee(s) for those wondering.

http://twitter.com/KatFansDotCom/status/1355147732936249347

lionsrking2
January 29th, 2021, 09:11 AM
Confirmation on the exit fee(s) for those wondering.

http://twitter.com/KatFansDotCom/status/1355147732936249347

That's the exact figure I was told.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2021, 09:35 AM
That's the exact figure I was told.

The article in the Beaumont Enterprise also shared that they had to forfeit their share of revenue which Marco Born said was "inconsequential" and that donors or outside folks were going to pay the buyout.

There was talk due to the timing, that the exit fee was going to be upwards of $750k. This is more than 50% less than that.

lionsrking2
January 29th, 2021, 09:47 AM
The article in the Beaumont Enterprise also shared that they had to forfeit their share of revenue which Marco Born said was "inconsequential" and that donors or outside folks were going to pay the buyout.

There was talk due to the timing, that the exit fee was going to be upwards of $750k. This is more than 50% less than that.

I was told 300k is the full amount.

Puddin Tane
January 30th, 2021, 08:55 PM
this is why I see no FBS future for Lamar. About 10 racks of LSU crap, 5 or 6 racks each for
ut and aggy. 3/4 of a rack for LU. At the Beaumont Academy. People would rather sit on
their couch and watch those skoolz than support the home team. Ain’t gonna change

Puddin Tane
January 30th, 2021, 09:01 PM
And WHAT THE HELL? A Sam shirt? In Beaumont? At least it’s on the 5.00 close out rack with the Springer Astros shirts and fish rags. But still.....dammmmm

Daytripper
January 31st, 2021, 09:03 AM
this is why I see no FBS future for Lamar. About 10 racks of LSU crap, 5 or 6 racks each for
ut and aggy. 3/4 of a rack for LU. At the Beaumont Academy. People would rather sit on
their couch and watch those skoolz than support the home team. Ain’t gonna change

Sam has the same problem...But the Huntsville Academy has a decent selection of Bearkat gear. Athough the combined ut and aggy section is as large or larger.

Do you guys have a Barefoot Lamar store in Beaumont? Sam has one right off campus and it has a great selection of merchandise.

caribbeanhen
January 31st, 2021, 09:13 AM
Sam has the same problem...But the Huntsville Academy has a decent selection of Bearkat gear. Athough the combined ut and aggy section is as large or larger.

Do you guys have a Barefoot Lamar store in Beaumont? Sam has one right off campus and it has a great selection of merchandise.

has anyone seen KC this winter? or is he Coaching from home?

Daytripper
January 31st, 2021, 09:19 AM
has anyone seen KC this winter? or is he Coaching from home?

He's been on campus coaching.
https://www.itemonline.com/sports/sam-houston-opens-training-camp-for-spring-season/article_c573c1fa-5d01-11eb-97dc-1782c080101a.html

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/itemonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/81/78175c26-05a1-11eb-ab0f-e3f16ceecc75/5f78bacebef99.image.jpg?resize=750%2C500

caribbeanhen
January 31st, 2021, 09:55 AM
He's been on campus coaching.
https://www.itemonline.com/sports/sam-houston-opens-training-camp-for-spring-season/article_c573c1fa-5d01-11eb-97dc-1782c080101a.html

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/itemonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/81/78175c26-05a1-11eb-ab0f-e3f16ceecc75/5f78bacebef99.image.jpg?resize=750%2C500

“Sam Houston returns the bulk of its skill players on the offensive side of the ball, while adding several intriguing transfers — including all-American receiver Jequez Ezzard from Howard, former Georgetown tight end Issac Schley and junior college running back Ramon Jefferson, who rushed for over 1,000 yards two years ago at Maine.”

Thanks for the story!

I remember Jefferson the Maine RB, he was pretty good

You can always trust KC to land a talented transfer

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2021, 06:56 AM
Comments from McNeese AD on league expansion, branding. Reiterates desire to have current D1 schools join up

https://www.kltv.com/2021/02/03/mcneeses-schroyer-southland-i-think-its-time-rebrand-our-league/

Sir William
February 3rd, 2021, 08:45 AM
Yes, but where does the Southland go to get additional football programs? Delta State and West Alabama from the D2 Gulf South (which would require a full D1 move up for these schools)? What current D1 football programs, if any, might actually join?

Seems that the best bet for McNeese, Nicholls, SELA and NW St would be to be absorbed in by the ASUN. Not sure if that’s likely. Also, would effectively end the SLC.

Rock and a hard place.

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2021, 10:01 AM
Yes, but where does the Southland go to get additional football programs? Delta State and West Alabama from the D2 Gulf South (which would require a full D1 move up for these schools)? What current D1 football programs, if any, might actually join? Seems that the best bet for McNeese, Nicholls, SELA and NW St would be to be absorbed in by the ASUN. Not sure if that’s likely. Also, would effectively end the SLC. Rock and a hard place.

The ASUN is not a financially viable league for the Southland schools (especially if you include HBU, Incarnate Word and the two non-football programs) and I do not think UCA is interested in partnering up with the "whole lot" so to speak. Brad Teague was pretty blunt about why the program he leads (UCA) is leaving the league.

The Southland believes it could potentially get Texas Southern & Prairie View A&M out of the SWAC. Whether that is realistic, remains to be seen. If those schools didn't make the move when the Texas schools (SHSU, SFA, ACU & Lamar) were in the league, why would they move now? Doesn't make sense, but they are trying. Outside of that, not sure any other SWAC schools are viable additions and likely to join the league.

So you are correct, the options are likely Gulf South programs (West Georgia and West Florida have been mentioned, but likely targets for ASUN > SLC) or Lonestar Conference programs (Commerce, Kingsville) though chances are that the WAC will get the pick of the litter before the SLC if they so desire to go that route for their next football program (if they are unable to add a current Div I institution, which also seems to be their preference if possible).