PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Changes

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2020, 06:02 PM
I know most FCS teams did not play this year but that doesn't mean there want be any changes. I just saw Weber State's Jay Hill is linked to the Arizona opening. I'm interested to see who loses head coaches and assistants without a playing a game this year.

Daytripper
December 14th, 2020, 08:04 AM
There is always a trickle down impact on FCS when the FBS coaching spots get filled. Current open FBS jobs are:

Auburn
Illinois
Vanderbilt
S. Alabama
Louisiana Monroe

Guessing S. Alabama and ULM are the most likely to poach an FCS coach. The others may grab a guy from a school that might then turn their attention to FCS.

Libertine
December 14th, 2020, 09:21 AM
There is always a trickle down impact on FCS when the FBS coaching spots get filled. Current open FBS jobs are:

Auburn
Illinois
Vanderbilt
S. Alabama
Louisiana Monroe

Guessing S. Alabama and ULM are the most likely to poach an FCS coach. The others may grab a guy from a school that might then turn their attention to FCS.

South Alabama already grabbed Kane Wommack, defensive coordinator at Indiana so that's one off the table.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/south-alabama-hires-indiana-defensive-coordinator-kane-wommack-as-coach-making-him-youngest-in-fbs/

If the historical pattern holds, ULM only poaches FCS coaches from McNeese and Frank Wilson hasn't been there long enough to steal ;). Still, if was a Nicholls fan, I might be sweating right now because Tim Rebowe has done a lot with not much in Thibodeaux.

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2020, 10:58 AM
South Alabama already grabbed Kane Wommack, defensive coordinator at Indiana so that's one off the table.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/south-alabama-hires-indiana-defensive-coordinator-kane-wommack-as-coach-making-him-youngest-in-fbs/

If the historical pattern holds, ULM only poaches FCS coaches from McNeese and Frank Wilson hasn't been there long enough to steal ;). Still, if was a Nicholls fan, I might be sweating right now because Tim Rebowe has done a lot with not much in Thibodeaux.

Vandy got their HC also, was the DC at Notre Dame: https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1338521503550369792

BEAR
December 14th, 2020, 11:18 AM

I’m surprised coach Campbell had the record he did at South Alabama. I mean he took a pretty good UCA team and improved the recruiting and practices with his division I football knowledge. Too bad he left like he did. But he will end up somewhere.

wapiti
December 14th, 2020, 11:20 AM

Auburn
Illinois
Vanderbilt
S. Alabama
Louisiana Monroe

I could be wrong, but did Utah State have a HC opening? Maybe they already filled it?

Daytripper
December 14th, 2020, 11:26 AM
I could be wrong, but did Utah State have a HC opening? Maybe they already filled it?

Blake Anderson from Arkansas State.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2020, 01:20 PM
Art Briles to Liberty if Freeze leaves? Talk about going from one level of scum to another.

Briles and Dave Bliss both make my skin crawl.

I have to think a big name FCS coach or two is going to get poached. Far too many coaches at the second tier state school level were hit with major budget cuts for there not to be attrition.

McNeese75
December 15th, 2020, 04:02 PM

Frank Wilson is smart enough to avoid the career death valley at ULM.

ST_Lawson
December 16th, 2020, 11:52 AM
Names mentioned for the Illinois job:
Northwestern Illinois native Bret Bielema
Central Illinois native, former (when they were still FCS) Georgia Southern HC, and most recently Army HC Jeff Monken
Former Forham and Richmond HC, and current Wake Forest HC Dave Clawson
Current Buffalo HC Lance Leipold

If any of the last three are picked, you might see those coaches current teams looking at the high FCS level for their next HC.

Mocs123
December 16th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Monken would be crazy to leave Army IMO.

Daytripper
December 16th, 2020, 12:22 PM
Central Illinois native, former (when they were still FCS) Georgia Southern HC, and most recently Army HC Jeff Monken

If any of the last three are picked, you might see those coaches current teams looking at the high FCS level for their next HC.

Leipold is fast-rising star. He jumped from D-III to Buffalo and turned them around quickly.

ccd494
December 16th, 2020, 12:28 PM

Wake Forest is not going to hire an FCS coach.

wapiti
December 24th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Word on the street is that MSU HC Jeff Choate is interviewing for the vacant HC position at Boise State.

I was hoping we would have Choate for another year or two.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 24th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Word on the street is that MSU HC Jeff Choate is interviewing for the vacant HC position at Boise State.

Just to get an interview with Boise State shows the amount of respect there is for Choate imo. Ultimately, I'll be surprised if BSU doesn't go with a FBS guy....

JALMOND
December 24th, 2020, 01:14 PM

Auburn
Illinois
Vanderbilt
S. Alabama
Louisiana Monroe

Terry Bowden going to ULM as per ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30588138/sources-terry-bowden-louisiana-monroe-coach

TheKingpin28
December 24th, 2020, 02:20 PM

I offered him a Benjamin at the FargoDome but that must not have been enough for him. Got to give the man credit, he brought Montana St to the top dogs of the FCS. His speech on FCOA was genius since that is how you get the recruits you need to succeed. If he leaves for Boise St, how much of a drop-off would there realistically be?

Milktruck74
December 24th, 2020, 09:05 PM
Terry Bowden going to ULM as per ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30588138/sources-terry-bowden-louisiana-monroe-coach

What is 18" long and hangs between Terry Bowden's legs? His Necktie!!!

ngineer
December 27th, 2020, 02:42 PM

Clawson was at Lehigh as OC before going to Villanova as OC and then Fordham for his first HC gig.