PDA

View Full Version : Yale and UConn to resume rivalry next year

Go Green
December 11th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Just announced an hour ago that they will play at UConn in 2021.

This is great for northeastern football. Dartmouth and UNH are renewing their rivalry as well. Would be great to see Harvard-UMass, Princeton-Rutgers, and Penn-Villanova again soon.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Just announced an hour ago that they will play at UConn in 2021.

This is great for northeastern football. Dartmouth and UNH are renewing their rivalry as well. Would be great to see Harvard-UMass, Princeton-Rutgers, and Penn-Villanova again soon.

Wouldn't Penn vs Temple be more in-line with this line of thinking, aka local Ivy vs local FBS? Personally, I'd love to see the Owls play the Quakers AT Franklin Field.

Hopefully the Yale-UConn game does indeed happen. Still far from certain imo....

bulldog10jw
December 11th, 2020, 06:47 PM
I guess I should be excited, but a game in East Hartford, CT doesn't inspire me to rush to make hotel reservations

bonarae
December 11th, 2020, 08:13 PM
Great news....

But then a Harvard-UMass revival in football is close to impossible... UMass moving on from all of us and the two teams move in opposing directions. xsmhx

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2020, 11:09 PM
But then a Harvard-UMass revival in football is close to impossible... UMass moving on from all of us and the two teams move in opposing directions. xsmhx

What are these opposite directions? And if scholarship football is such anathema to Harvard, why not simply play seven Ivy games a year, since the six PL schools are moving in opposite directions and the seventh is apparently not worthy of being scheduled by anyone?

bonarae
December 11th, 2020, 11:13 PM
What are these opposite directions? And if scholarship football is such anathema to Harvard, why not simply play seven Ivy games a year, since the six PL schools are moving in opposite directions and the seventh is apparently not worthy of being scheduled by anyone?

UMass has mostly FBS opponents on its future schedules. (edit: checked FBSchedules and saw that the Minutemen have Rhody, Merrimack, Maine, Stony Brook, Wagner as their FCS opponents in the future.) Harvard is constricting themselves football-wise, for the past decade or so. That’s why I mean by opposite directions.

Seven Ivy games without any OOC? I'd say no. I'll be forced to root for ETSU for good by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Son of Eli
December 12th, 2020, 07:01 AM
I’m very happy about this. Bragging rights for the state of Connecticut isn’t the same as a National championship, but it’s a big step in the right direction. Hoping a FBS opponent becomes an annual occurrence for Yale, especially against historic rivals Army and UConn. Also hope Yale can get UConn back to the Yale Bowl at some point soon.

Ivytalk
December 12th, 2020, 07:24 AM
Great news....

I don’t get this at all. Opposite directions? UMass lost its four games this year by a combined score of 161-12. They don’t belong in FBS. I can see Harvard renewing this rivalry, especially after Murphy retires (which won’t take much longer).

NY Crusader 2010
December 12th, 2020, 10:05 AM
I don’t get this at all. Opposite directions? UMass lost its four games this year by a combined score of 161-12. They don’t belong in FBS. I can see Harvard renewing this rivalry, especially after Murphy retires (which won’t take much longer).

I think he was talking about different directions as far as scheduling. Harvard hasn't played an FBS team in nearly thirty years.

UMass and Holy Cross will play well before Harvard makes the trip to McGuirk.

NY Crusader 2010
December 12th, 2020, 10:07 AM
I’m very happy about this. Bragging rights for the state of Connecticut isn’t the same as a National championship, but it’s a big step in the right direction. Hoping a FBS opponent becomes an annual occurrence for Yale, especially against historic rivals Army and UConn. Also hope Yale can get UConn back to the Yale Bowl at some point soon.

This is cool. At first I was kind of surprised UCONN had the cojones to schedule you guys but then I remembered they're an independent now.

- - - Updated - - -

This is cool. At first I was kind of surprised UCONN had the cojones to schedule you guys but then I remembered they're an independent now.

Ivytalk
December 12th, 2020, 02:40 PM
I think he was talking about different directions as far as scheduling. Harvard hasn't played an FBS team in nearly thirty years.

UMass and Holy Cross will play well before Harvard makes the trip to McGuirk.

Do I sense a wager here?

Sader87
December 12th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Holy Cross and UMass have a much longer, more played series/rivalry than UMass-Harvard.

What would truly be interesting is a Harvard-BC game...I don't believe they have ever met on the gridiron...not since WW2 anyway.

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2020, 05:28 PM
What would truly be interesting is a Harvard-BC game...I don't believe they have ever met on the gridiron...not since WW2 anyway.

Apparently they met once, in 1919, a 17-0 Crimson win. Harvard played all but one game on campus and then traveled to the Rose Bowl to beat Oregon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_Harvard_Crimson_football_team

I am only half surprised Harvard doesn't insist its non-conference games are held only at home. Some would object, of course, but they would still fill the schedule.

bonarae
December 13th, 2020, 06:00 AM
Holy Cross and UMass have a much longer, more played series/rivalry than UMass-Harvard.

It is also on my bucket list for the Crimson. Actually, are there any Division I football schools that still have programs, campuses are quite close to each other, and don't play each other on the gridiron often? xchinscratchx

I can think of a few: Michigan-EMU (Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti, around 5 miles), Harvard-BC (around 10 miles?), Charleston Southern-The Citadel (I believe less than 5 miles?), Penn-Temple and Penn-Villanova (less than 5 miles for the former, around 15 miles for the latter), Kennesaw State-Georgia State and Kennesaw State-Georgia Tech (because the Owls are relatively new to football), San Diego Toreros-San Diego State Aztecs (one-off game several years ago).

NY Crusader 2010
December 13th, 2020, 07:21 AM
It is also on my bucket list for the Crimson. Actually, are there any Division I football schools that still have programs, campuses are quite close to each other, and don't play each other on the gridiron often? xchinscratchx

I can think of a few: Michigan-EMU (Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti, around 5 miles), Harvard-BC (around 10 miles?), Charleston Southern-The Citadel (I believe less than 5 miles?), Penn-Temple and Penn-Villanova (less than 5 miles for the former, around 15 miles for the latter), Kennesaw State-Georgia State and Kennesaw State-Georgia Tech (because the Owls are relatively new to football), San Diego Toreros-San Diego State Aztecs (one-off game several years ago).

Texas-Texas A&M is one you can add to that list.

Fordham-Columbia is another one that hasn't been played in at least 4 or 5 years. I'm guessing CU dropped the series around the time that Fordham had those powerful offensive teams with Niebrich and then Edmonds. That series would have been competitive the past 3 or 4 years and would've actually been decent football.

Son of Eli
December 13th, 2020, 08:41 AM
Video of Yale’s penultimate 1987 victory over UConn before more than 34,000 fans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ecJv8jBtiI

It was a crazy comeback win with a miracle ending.

bulldog10jw
December 13th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Video of Yale’s penultimate 1987 victory over UConn before more than 34,000 fans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ecJv8jBtiI

It was a crazy comeback win with a miracle ending.

One of two miracle finishes in 1987, the other being against Penn under very similar circumstances.

Kelly Ryan was a great Yale QB. Behind only Dowling and Rawlings IMO

Son of Eli
December 13th, 2020, 05:52 PM
You can see from the players emotions that this game meant a lot to both teams. This is what rivalries are made of. Can’t wait until 10/16/21.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2020, 06:26 PM
One of two miracle finishes in 1987, the other being against Penn under very similar circumstances.

Kelly Ryan was a great Yale QB. Behind only Dowling and Rawlings IMO

I ended up watching a bit of the Penn game since the quality was considerably better. Really enjoyed it! I'm just old enough to remember bits of Lehigh's 1987 season. The last year at Taylor Stadium...

NY Crusader 2010
December 13th, 2020, 09:26 PM

BC and Harvard have now, for a decade +, been the only 2 Division I football programs in Boston. Would be great if a game, or series, came to fruition.

DFW HOYA
December 14th, 2020, 12:02 AM
BC and Harvard have now, for a decade +, been the only 2 Division I football programs in Boston. Would be great if a game, or series, came to fruition.

Even better, if the PL could start an "in or out" discussion with Boston U about getting football back in Nickerson Field.

bonarae
December 14th, 2020, 03:19 AM
Even better, if the PL could start an "in or out" discussion with Boston U about getting football back in Nickerson Field.

Bigger question: BU = NYU / Pacific? Probably. Lamar, ETSU and UChicago are not in the same league as BU either academically or athletically.

Go Green
December 14th, 2020, 07:47 AM
Apparently they met once, in 1919, a 17-0 Crimson win. Harvard played all but one game on campus and then traveled to the Rose Bowl to beat Oregon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_Harvard_Crimson_football_team

Four times. Last in 1944.

Harvard University Football History vs Boston College (gocrimson.com) (https://gocrimson.com/sports/football/opponent-history/boston-college/48)

DFW HOYA
December 14th, 2020, 11:05 AM
Corrected, thanks.

Sader87
December 14th, 2020, 01:08 PM
My guess is Harvard will nevah schedule BC....I know (anecdotally) that the Johnnies avoided scheduling the Eagles in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

It would be great for college football in Massachusetts but I think Harvard fears a beatdown from their neighbors in Chestnut Hill.

NY Crusader 2010
December 14th, 2020, 01:58 PM
The last time I remember Harvard really "scheduling up" was when they played and pummeled Northeastern during Ryan Fitzpatrick's senior year in 2004. That Huskies team finished top 3 in the CAA IIRC behind W&M and JMU. They recently just split a 4-game series against URI but those Ram teams, at least the last 2, were definitely better than Harvard likely expected when they scheduled them.

A Harvard-BC game would be a great idea, especially since they are the only DI college football programs left in Boston. A home-and-home would be fun if you could get BC to agree to come to Harvard Stadium.

Son of Eli
December 14th, 2020, 04:28 PM
I agree that Harvard vs Boston College would be a great series to reinvigorate local interest in Ivy League football. In addition to that and Yale vs UConn here are some other intrastate games Ivy League schools should attempt to schedule.

Penn vs Temple
Columbia vs Army
Princeton vs Rutgers
Cornell vs Syracuse

Dartmouth and Brown have good intrastate rivalries scheduled already with UNH and URI respectively.

bulldog10jw
December 14th, 2020, 05:35 PM
My guess is Harvard will nevah schedule BC....I know (anecdotally) that the Johnnies avoided scheduling the Eagles in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

It would be great for college football in Massachusetts but I think Harvard fears a beatdown from their neighbors in Chestnut Hill.

Yale played Boston College in 1980. BC won 27-9, I believe. The game was at BC. It was an Ivy Champion Yale team. I don't remember if BC was any good that year.

It was the first year the Ivies went to 10 games.

NY Crusader 2010
December 14th, 2020, 06:02 PM
I agree that Harvard vs Boston College would be a great series to reinvigorate local interest in Ivy League football. In addition to that and Yale vs UConn here are some other intrastate games Ivy League schools should attempt to schedule.

Penn vs Temple
Columbia vs Army
Princeton vs Rutgers
Cornell vs Syracuse

Dartmouth and Brown have good intrastate rivalries scheduled already with UNH and URI respectively.

If Princeton and Rutgers weren't going to meet for the 150th anniversary of the first ever college football game, then it's not going to happen.

Princeton-Delaware would be a good match-up -- the Tigers have added in-state Monmouth recently. As would a more frequent Penn-Villanova game. If not Army, Columbia should absolutely resume its series against Fordham.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2020, 06:33 PM
Yale would be favored over UConn in my book

Son of Eli
December 14th, 2020, 07:16 PM
Yale played Boston College in 1980. BC won 27-9, I believe. The game was at BC. It was an Ivy Champion Yale team. I don't remember if BC was any good that year.

It was the first year the Ivies went to 10 games.

BC was 7-4 in 1980 including a win against 11th ranked Stanford.

bulldog10jw
December 14th, 2020, 07:46 PM
BC was 7-4 in 1980 including a win against 11th ranked Stanford.

The game was played at night and it was raining. BC eventually wore Yale down. Despite the loss, Kevin Czinger dominated the BC offensive like. They ended up double and triple teaming him.

Go Green
December 15th, 2020, 05:50 AM
The game was played at night and it was raining. BC eventually wore Yale down. Despite the loss, Kevin Czinger dominated the BC offensive like. They ended up double and triple teaming him.

According to Carm Cozza's autobiography, he got a call from the Florida State coaches the week of the FSU-BC game and they told Cozza that after watching game film, they couldn't believe how much trouble Czinger was giving the BC offensive line.