PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Phil Steele FCS coverage

JohnStOnge
July 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM
A perception from the McNeese Delphi board from Zem. He still calls it "I-AA" but what the heck:

" just got my Phil Steele Pac 10 Football Preview in the mail today. I got the national magazine a few weeks ago in Barnes and Noble, but Phil is trying to give FCS some ink this year and he is taking a survey to see how much interest is out there. Instead of having a full magazine for 1AA, he has put 35 colored pages in his Pac 10 edition. I guess the Big Sky buys more copies to the NW Edition than any other area. This is the best coverage I have seen for 1AA with schedules, all schools 2006 stat leaders, past schedules, lineups, predictions, etc.

Those that wish to see 1AA coverage expanded need to order this 6.99 book off Phil Steele. com or 1-866-918-7711. It will cost about $10 get it sent to the house.
"

NoSpinZone
July 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM
A perception from the McNeese Delphi board from Zem. He still calls it "I-AA" but what the heck:

" just got my Phil Steele Pac 10 Football Preview in the mail today. I got the national magazine a few weeks ago in Barnes and Noble, but Phil is trying to give FCS some ink this year and he is taking a survey to see how much interest is out there. Instead of having a full magazine for 1AA, he has put 35 colored pages in his Pac 10 edition. I guess the Big Sky buys more copies to the NW Edition than any other area. This is the best coverage I have seen for 1AA with schedules, all schools 2006 stat leaders, past schedules, lineups, predictions, etc.

Those that wish to see 1AA coverage expanded need to order this 6.99 book off Phil Steele. com or 1-866-918-7711. It will cost about $10 get it sent to the house.
"

Phil Steele is the best preview mag on the planet. It is packed with tons of info.

JohnStOnge
July 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM
Zem wrote that in a thread about Street and Smith. He said Street and Smith has Portland State rated 9th and McNeese 6th...interesting because it's an opening game matchup. I personally wouldn't rate McNeese in the top 10 at this point but it is a really interesting opening game matchup, I think.

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2007, 07:13 PM
Last I checked, the best preview magazine for Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) football was the one done by College Sporting News (formerly I-AA.org)...

umassfan
July 2nd, 2007, 01:31 AM
Last I checked, the best preview magazine for Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) football was the one done by College Sporting News (formerly I-AA.org)...

opinions opinions... i disagree...

already123
July 2nd, 2007, 03:14 AM
looks like I need to make a visit to the store...

gmoney55
July 2nd, 2007, 07:18 AM
I agree, Phil Steele is the best for FCS!

bluehenbillk
July 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
I've heard good things about Phil Steele, I'll have to go check it out. It's great having previews to read this time of year.

NoSpinZone
July 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
I've heard good things about Phil Steele, I'll have to go check it out. It's great having previews to read this time of year.

It doesn't have much info about FCS, but no preview rag really seems to. (although he is soliciting the interest level and considering adding more coverage if he gets a good response). The preview rag he does is for gamblers and has more info than you can imagine. I've bought it for 6 or 7 years and it's great, you should check it out if you follow FBS at all. He gives each FBS team equal coverage. You can find just as much info on Florida International as Florida because I guess you can win just as much money on them.

BucBloc
July 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM
There is a pullout page in the national issue that asks for feedback. I always feed back the need for more FCS coverage. It also gets you a free NFL issue, which is pretty good. Tear it out and send it in. let him know you want the coverage.

bluehenbillk
July 2nd, 2007, 08:26 AM
It doesn't have much info about FCS, but no preview rag really seems to. (although he is soliciting the interest level and considering adding more coverage if he gets a good response). The preview rag he does is for gamblers and has more info than you can imagine. I've bought it for 6 or 7 years and it's great, you should check it out if you follow FBS at all. He gives each FBS team equal coverage. You can find just as much info on Florida International as Florida because I guess you can win just as much money on them.

Well if the above post is correct I'd think 35 pages is a real good amount. Street & Smith does a good job too.

NoSpinZone
July 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Well if the above post is correct I'd think 35 pages is a real good amount. Street & Smith does a good job too.

That's in the regional mags which I have never bought. The national didn't have but like one page that just said let me know if you want more D1aa coverage that I saw and had a blurp about App St. One page out of like 400 pages of fine print. Still its the best preview mag, but I wouldn't get the national one looking for FCS coverage because there isn't any that I have seen, if you watch the FBS teams.

Model Citizen
July 2nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Phil Steele doesn't write the FCS portion of the magazine, does he? I think that's done by the B team.

flexbone
July 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM

Just a funny side note about the Street & Smith coverage.
They start off by bringing up the "Name Change" in the first paragraph of the coverage.
BUT at the top of the 1st page the heading of the section is "I-AA" in big and bold print.

bluehenbillk
July 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
West Coast Bias, I guess I didn't read close enough or comprehend before going across the street at lunch to find out only the Pac-10 version has FCS coverage....

BTW - great article from ESPN on college football previews:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2923115&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

colorless raider
July 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
West Coast Bias, I guess I didn't read close enough or comprehend before going across the street at lunch to find out only the Pac-10 version has FCS coverage....

BTW - great article from ESPN on college football previews:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2923115&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

Many thanks, that was a good article.