PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Southern Utah Has Rec'd a WAC Invitation

TexasTerror
December 8th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Separating this out from the rest of the conversation since this is "official" while the rest is "rumored" or believed to be true or what not.

Invitations are typically not made public by either the school or the conference unless they are about to be accepted.
==

As the Western Athletic Conference continues its plans to expand, the conference officially asked SUU if the T-Birds would be a part of that expansion.
In a statement to The Spectrum, SUU officials said they have received an invitation to the WAC as of Monday, Dec. 7, to leave the Big Sky Conference.
"We have received an official invitation from the Western Athletic Conference yesterday," SUU Athletics said in a written statement to The Spectrum. "We have not made a final decision, but are seriously considering it."
This comes nearly two months the first news of a potential move (https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/college/2020/10/02/suu-has-not-received-official-offer-join-wac/3595209001/) which began with reports saying SUU was leaving the Big Sky. The T-Birds responded by saying it hadn't received an official invite.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/college/2020/12/08/suu-western-athletics-conference-invitation-t-birds/6491139002/

WestCoastAggie
December 8th, 2020, 02:42 PM
SUU is as good as gone from the Big Sky.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2020, 04:19 PM
The Texas four are next. ACU, SHSU, SFA and Lamar. Bank it.

WestCoastAggie
December 8th, 2020, 04:22 PM
The Texas four are next. ACU, SHSU, SFA and Lamar. Bank it.

That’s a long drive from East Texas to southwest Utah.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2020, 04:29 PM
That’s a long drive from East Texas to southwest Utah.

That's what planes are for.

BEAR
December 9th, 2020, 09:48 AM
Do Sam fans want to move conferences?

katss07
December 9th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Do Sam fans want to move conferences?
Pretty split from what I've seen. I'd prefer to stay put in the Southland.

WAC travel, combined with the obscure opponents we'd have to play and loss of traditional rivals does it for me.

Daytripper
December 9th, 2020, 10:17 AM
I'm torn. While I will miss the great games against the LA schools, UCA leaving greatly weakens an already mediocre conference. Also, the WAC will be a significant upgrade in basketball.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

lionsrking2
December 9th, 2020, 02:30 PM
I'm torn. While I will miss the great games against the LA schools, UCA leaving greatly weakens an already mediocre conference. Also, the WAC will be a significant upgrade in basketball.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Significantly? Define significantly.

JALMOND
December 9th, 2020, 03:24 PM
The little Whos down in Whoville can cry "Boo Hoo Hoo!!!"

TexasTerror
December 9th, 2020, 07:48 PM
Significantly? Define significantly.

The Southland even with SFA, ACU and SHSU who are three of the top five teams the last few years is only above the SWAC and MEAC in most ratings including the last two.

The WAC in 2019 was 16th in conference RPI compared to 30th for the SLC. 15th in 2018 compared to SLC 29th

Case closed.

TheRevSFA
December 9th, 2020, 09:03 PM
The Southland even with SFA, ACU and SHSU who are three of the top five teams the last few years is only above the SWAC and MEAC in most ratings including the last two.

The WAC in 2019 was 16th in conference RPI compared to 30th for the SLC. 15th in 2018 compared to SLC 29th

Case closed.

I’ve already told him this.

lionsrking2
December 9th, 2020, 09:30 PM

Case closed.

It's a one bid league and will continue to be a one bid league. Case closed.

TheRevSFA
December 10th, 2020, 08:43 AM
It's a one bid league and will continue to be a one bid league. Case closed.

Dude don’t worry...SLU will either stay in a weak southland (hey you might have a better shot at a basketball championship) or you’ll move to the big south/ASUN

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2020, 02:28 PM
The Rev has a great point... Wouldn't it just make sense for the remaining SLC schools to join UCA and join the ASUN?