PDA

View Full Version : Heads up JMU...

ChickenMan
August 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Here is the list of A10 Champions and how they fared the year following their championship season...'99 through '04...

'99... JMU - 8-4... '00... 2-9
'99... UMass - 9-4... '00... 3-8

'00... Delaware - 12-2... '01... 4-6
'00... Richmond - 10-3... '01... 3-8

'01... Hofstra - 9-3... '02... 6-6
'01... Maine - 9-3... '02... 11-3
'01... Villanova - 8-3... '02... 11-4
'01... W&M - 8-4... '02... 6-5

'02... Maine - 11-3... '03...7-5
'02... Northeastern - 10-3... '03... 8-4

'03... Delaware - 15-1... '04... 9-4
'03... UMass - 10-3... '04... 6-5

'04... JMU - 13-2... '05... ???
'04... W&M - 11-3... '05... ???
'04... Delaware - 9-4... '05... ???

only twice (Maine and Nova... both in '02) in twelve occasions has the A10 Co-Champion done as well or better in the year following their league title. It appears that getting to the top of the A10 may be easier than staying there.

TigerFan17
August 19th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Hmmm look at those '99 records...looks like we may be geared for an a-10 title this year. :D

I keeeed, I keeed.

IaaScribe
August 19th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Hmmm look at those '99 records...looks like we may be geared for an a-10 title this year. :D

I keeeed, I keeed.

What kind of expectations does Towson have this year? Do they feel like they were close to competing last year, or are they still really far away.
(Serious question, not a dig).

TigerFan17
August 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Well I-AA.org has projected Towson to finish above Richmond in the north division of the A-10, but who knows. Here's how I feel this season will pan out...

We'll win all three non-conference games, just like last year.

In conference this year we will lose handily to some, but actually be in most of the games. Last year we were pretty much handily defeated in every outing in the A-10.

I project a finish of 4-7 or if things really turn out well, 5-6.

(If you didn't know) We just made the move from the patriot league, which is non-scholarship, to this high level of competition. We are currently at about 65-70% normal scholarship status for I-AA.

This year will be another building year, but will be better than last year's squad. We've got some young talent on this team and who knows, they could have a break-out year.

Our best asset is our secondary, anchored by pre-season all-american DB allante harrison and all-A-10 DB davon telp. Last year teams simply stopped throwing at harrison as he was the interception leader for most of last year (3 in the game against delaware). Now, however, teams will be forced to pass the ball inside as Davon Telp has returned (medical red-shirt last year, car accident injury in the summer).

We need work most at our lines on both sides, especially the D-line. However, we've got some pretty good young guys and transfers.

Goldbeck, our soph. QB who was last year's starter could have a great year judging by how he was doing at the end of last year.

But, as I said, I expect anywhere between 3-8 and 5-6.

In about 2 more years I feel we will be middle of the pack and in regular contention to win any game.

LBPop
August 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Goldbeck, our soph. QB who was last year's starter could have a great year judging by how he was doing at the end of last year.

Wondering if you have heard anything about a red-shirt freshman WR by the name of Marcus Lee. He's tall, athletic, solidly built, has great hands and will block like a fullback. Not great speed, but should be a quality possession receiver and is a class young man.

TigerFan17
August 19th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Wondering if you have heard anything about a red-shirt freshman WR by the name of Marcus Lee. He's tall, athletic, solidly built, has great hands and will block like a fullback. Not great speed, but should be a quality possession receiver and is a class young man.

Haven't heard anything of him. Our receiving corps is stacked right now and any younger guys trying to get onto the field at that position that haven't already established themselves are going to be a long shot. We only graduated one WR which leaves us with Eric Yancey, Andrae Brown, Paul Perry, James Byroads, Dayron Arnold and Rocky Brown. All of those guys either started or played a lot of minutes. Then, there are the guys who were their backups for the season. Haven't even heard of the guy though, any additional info?

LBPop
August 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Haven't even heard of the guy though, any additional info?

No, nothing other than the fact that I saw him all through high school. Your receivers caught a real break when Towson got Gullian Gary as their WR coach. It was Georgetown's loss. In one year at Georgetown he earned the respect of everyone he met. He was an outstanding WR at Maryland and can still fly.

IaaScribe
August 19th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Tiger, the reason I asked was because Towson plays Liberty, the team I cover, down here in L-burg this season. Coming from a Western I-AA background, I don't know a lot about the less successful I-AAs out this way. I appreciate the post.

TigerFan17
August 19th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Tiger, the reason I asked was because Towson plays Liberty, the team I cover, down here in L-burg this season. Coming from a Western I-AA background, I don't know a lot about the less successful I-AAs out this way. I appreciate the post.

Towson football is in a slump over the last couple of years. 10 years ago we were beating the likes of Delaware and sending players to the NFL (all-time leading NFL punter for instance, just retired). Our all-time record is 201-168-4, which puts us on the side of "more" succesful. :)

Since 1999 we went..

99: 7-4
00: 7-4
01: 3-7
02: 6-5
03: 6-6
04: 3-7 ***first year in A-10

We are traditionally at least a decent team, but are in a transitional phase to a full scholarship team.

IaaScribe
August 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I guess I should have said less successful in recent years. :)

TigerFan17
August 19th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I guess I should have said less successful in recent years. :)

Yah I know, I just didn't want people to read that who don't know about us and assume we have been total scrubs for 20 years. :D

JMU2004
August 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM
we went 6-5 in 2000.....2-9 was 2001 when we had 6 total seniors

Tribe4SF
August 19th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Towson and Liberty had two common opponents last year. Both lost badly at home to W&M. Liberty beat Elon at home by 10 and Towson beat them badly at their place. Having seen both teams last year, I think it will be a very good match-up. I'd give the edge to Towson.

IaaScribe
August 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Tribe ... was over at your place earlier this week working on a piece on Josh Wright, a hometown kid for us. Very good interview. Looking forward to heading back there at the end of September, as long as Zable is ready. ;)

Lots of good memories from college at W&M. I went to VT, but had some friends over there.

Tribe4SF
August 19th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Tribe ... was over at your place earlier this week working on a piece on Josh Wright, a hometown kid for us. Very good interview. Looking forward to heading back there at the end of September, as long as Zable is ready. ;)

Lots of good memories from college at W&M. I went to VT, but had some friends over there.

Josh Wright is a heckuva football player. Intense, outgoing and extremely likeable. Glad you're giving him some ink back home.