PDA

View Full Version : WAC Football 2022

Pages : [1] 2

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Not sure about anyone else, but I am down with Western Athletic Conference football in 2022.

Schools...

Abilene Christian
Dixie State
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Stephen F Austin
Tarleton State

If you are Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin, you maintain the Battle of the Piney Woods.
Lamar will and could still play McNeese out of league play and SFA can do the same with Northwestern State. I doubt those schools would want to give up those rivalry games especially with the short travel.

The new, constituted WAC would likely need to add one more school if not two. Ideally UTRGV would add football and I know there's talks of Southern Utah (which would be an hour commute from Dixie State, great for non-football sports!) to help fill a few more slots on the schedule but you could easily have plenty of SLC vs WAC games, plus WAC vs SWAC games for the OOC play.

Baron Sardonicus
November 18th, 2020, 01:09 PM
You are envisioning a huge conference.

Mocs123
November 18th, 2020, 01:12 PM
If these schools exit and Central Arkansas was to leave for the A-Sun football conference, what would become of the Southland?

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2020, 01:41 PM
If these schools exit and Central Arkansas was to leave for the A-Sun football conference, what would become of the Southland?

The SLC would have

Houston Baptist
Incarnate Word
McNeese St.
New Orleans
Nicholls St.
Northwestern St.
Southeastern Louisiana
Texas A&M Corpus-Christi

If needed they could probably add UT-RGV or Midwestern State. Either way, they'll survive.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2020, 02:11 PM
The SLC would have

Houston Baptist
Incarnate Word
McNeese St.
New Orleans
Nicholls St.
Northwestern St.
Southeastern Louisiana
Texas A&M Corpus-Christi

If needed they could probably add UT-RGV or Midwestern State. Either way, they'll survive.

The issue with the above Southland is that they are at eight schools for hoops (and even fewer for some sports as UNO for instance does not sponsor soccer / softball), which is the absolute minimum for an at-large. I do not foresee any of the schools leaving, but it could certainly be an issue. The newly split off from Southland will need to add any Division II school that they can get their hand(s) on, particularly ones that have football.

The WAC which will have a heavier and more visible Texas presence will have the "pick of the litter" of any Division II programs from the state. I doubt anyone sees ULM moving back into the Southland. The remainder of SLC is really what hurts the most from this thing if UCA and the four Texas institutions leave.

You are envisioning a huge conference.

How is the six aforementioned schools a huge conference? Five schools in Texas - all within reasonable drives - and then the one in Utah (Dixie State).

Maybe in the other sports (though they can keep to divisions, cost containment with the TEXAS schools altogether especially when Chicago State leaves the leave as anticipated).

Daytripper
November 18th, 2020, 02:16 PM
The issue with the above Southland is that they are at eight schools for hoops (and even fewer for some sports as UNO for instance does not sponsor soccer / softball), which is the absolute minimum for an at-large. I do not foresee any of the schools leaving, but it could certainly be an issue. The newly split off from Southland will need to add any Division II school that they can get their hand(s) on, particularly ones that have football.

The WAC which will have a heavier and more visible Texas presence will have the "pick of the litter" of any Division II programs from the state. I doubt anyone sees ULM moving back into the Southland. The remainder of SLC is really what hurts the most from this thing if UCA and the four Texas institutions leave.

How is the six aforementioned schools a huge conference? Five schools in Texas - all within reasonable drives - and then the one in Utah (Dixie State).

Maybe in the other sports (though they can keep to divisions, cost containment with the TEXAS schools altogether especially when Chicago State leaves the leave as anticipated).

I could see a few other Big Sky teams considering a move. Maybe NAU or Northern Colorado. If the WAC could entice New Mexico State to join, that would be a nice addition.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2020, 02:21 PM
Another thought. SFA fans have been saying this change of conference is about the "next move" perhaps in the same way that UTSA and TXST were able to. The WAC also has that grandfathered FBS clause which leads to something I touch on below.

I could see a few other Big Sky teams considering a move. Maybe NAU or Northern Colorado. If the WAC could entice New Mexico State to join, that would be a nice addition.

NMSU is not joining - they have no reason to give up annual home/away games with UTEP and New Mexico. Their fans would lose their marbles! They also seem to have done a decent job getting home/home with Mountain West schools, who like the familiarity with NMSU and the ability to not travel significantly east.

NMSU is probably hoping that there's a viable FBS possibility down the road with these WAC upstarts (the Texas institutions from the Southland) and the schools already within the league (Dixie State, Tarleton State). We'll see what happens.

Baron Sardonicus
November 18th, 2020, 02:54 PM
How is the six aforementioned schools a huge conference?

They already have nine schools. You would have them take on four more...for 13(?!?). So many questions here, starting with why the Southland schools would leave.

I've observed that most schools don't want to be in gigantic conferences, unless the TV money is great. More slices of the pie mean smaller slices for everyone.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2020, 04:52 PM
They already have nine schools. You would have them take on four more...for 13(?!?). So many questions here, starting with why the Southland schools would leave.

General impression is Chicago State is leaving and you’d be able to build a 12-team conference with a pair of divisions, one of which is all Texas schools in a relatively tight geographical alignment. There’s some things you can do across most sports to keep costs down.

General reason for leaving is moving to a league with more upside and better potential of upward mobility. The FBS carrot may be there but I think on the larger scale, this is viewed as a positive move for the schools and while we have questions about finances, are sure those things are being worked out

NY Crusader 2010
November 18th, 2020, 05:46 PM
Another thought. SFA fans have been saying this change of conference is about the "next move" perhaps in the same way that UTSA and TXST were able to. The WAC also has that grandfathered FBS clause which leads to something I touch on below.

NMSU is not joining - they have no reason to give up annual home/away games with UTEP and New Mexico. Their fans would lose their marbles! They also seem to have done a decent job getting home/home with Mountain West schools, who like the familiarity with NMSU and the ability to not travel significantly east.

NMSU is probably hoping that there's a viable FBS possibility down the road with these WAC upstarts (the Texas institutions from the Southland) and the schools already within the league (Dixie State, Tarleton State). We'll see what happens.

Spoiler alert. That list of schools will never be a viable FBS conference.

dgtw
November 18th, 2020, 09:26 PM
It would help the WAC if Seattle left. They are a better fit for the WCC. They are Jesuit, as are 7/10 of the league. The other three are all private and affiliated with a church. (One is BYU).

I know eleven isn’t good for scheduling but it would give Gonzaga a travel partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baron Sardonicus
November 18th, 2020, 09:42 PM
The WAC is filling up with schools no one else wants. Seattle is one of those.

If Tarleton State had received an invitation to the Southland, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So now the WAC has accomodated a few schools that needed a conference home in order to move to D-I. A couple of them happen to have football teams, creating idle chatter in a slow sports year. xrotatehx

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2020, 09:43 PM
It would help the WAC if Seattle left. They are a better fit for the WCC. They are Jesuit, as are 7/10 of the league.

Not quite.

Gonzaga -Jesuit
USF-Jesuit
Santa Clara-Jesuit
Loyola Marymount-Jesuit
St. Mary's-DeLaSalle
San Diego-Diocesan
Portland-Holy Cross
Pepperdine- Church of Christ
Pacific-United Methodist
BYU- Latter Day Saints

lionsrking2
November 18th, 2020, 10:10 PM
None of this is going to happen

NY Crusader 2010
November 18th, 2020, 10:33 PM
It would help the WAC if Seattle left. They are a better fit for the WCC. They are Jesuit, as are 7/10 of the league. The other three are all private and affiliated with a church. (One is BYU).

I know eleven isn’t good for scheduling but it would give Gonzaga a travel partner.

Spokane is not exactly a quick bus ride to Seattle.

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2020, 06:39 AM

Which? I’ve got to think that Central Arkansas is as good as gone at this point. The WAC situation is a bit less likely but seems very possible and most of the institutions in the group clearly seem agitated with the Southland

NY Crusader 2010
November 19th, 2020, 07:11 AM
The LEAST LIKELY thing to happen IMO is that a bunch of established DI/FCS schools in Central and East Texas suddenly decide to up and leave for a fledgling hodge-podge West Coast / Rocky Mountain-based conference full of transitional DI members.

Mocs123
November 19th, 2020, 09:06 AM
Assuming you are talking about UCA leaving for the A-Sun thing, they might go, but only if the A-Sun is able to get other schools to go as well. Their ambitious plan only works if they are able to get five other schools to join existing members UNA and KSU to go along with UCA.

Wouls UCA be better off in the A-Sun (or United Athletic Conference - whatever they are going to call it) then the Southland? It seems like the other schools they have reached out to - EKU and JSU are out of their geographical area a bit, but perhaps no further then the teams they already play.

Daytripper
November 19th, 2020, 09:28 AM
It's almost like college athletics free agency. Everybody looking for the best deal and fit.

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2020, 02:05 PM
Assuming you are talking about UCA leaving for the A-Sun thing, they might go, but only if the A-Sun is able to get other schools to go as well. Their ambitious plan only works if they are able to get five other schools to join existing members UNA and KSU to go along with UCA.

Wouls UCA be better off in the A-Sun (or United Athletic Conference - whatever they are going to call it) then the Southland? It seems like the other schools they have reached out to - EKU and JSU are out of their geographical area a bit, but perhaps no further then the teams they already play.

As you said, the travel isn't further in many cases to the team(s) they are playing now. Central Arkansas has been a great squad for the Southland but if the Texas institutions "up and leave" as has been discussed, I am not sure that Central Arkansas finds itself as a fit with the remaining Texas schools and what's in Louisiana. Just my guess? Central Arkansas may see itself more aligned with a few of the schools we're mentioning (EKU, JaxState, UNA?).

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2020, 02:14 PM
Which? I’ve got to think that Central Arkansas is as good as gone at this point. The WAC situation is a bit less likely but seems very possible and most of the institutions in the group clearly seem agitated with the Southland

The WAC. There's probably smoke to the UCA deal and honestly, wish we could go with them. We used to be in the A-Sun (when it was the old TAAC) prior to joining the Southland. A football league of us, UCA, Jacksonville State, North Alabama, Kennesaw State, West Florida (move up), and maybe a Samford, UTM, Nicholls, etc., would be a pretty good league and like getting some of the old GSC band back together.

BEAR
November 19th, 2020, 02:19 PM
I haven’t heard a thing from the athletic administration here at UCA about any moves. Doesn’t mean they aren’t keeping it close to the vest, but usually SOMETHING gets out. If it’s only baseball for one year then no biggie. UCA played soccer in the sunbelt recently. May still I don’t recall. As for travel distance, we are the outliers to the conference but the travel is good for the culture and food!

Mocs123
November 19th, 2020, 02:19 PM
(EKU, JaxState, UNA?).

UNA is the University of North Alabama a recent D2 move up to the Big South in Football but are in the A-Sun for other sports. The A-Sun is trying to get six teams to go with their existing two football playing schools (North Alabama and Kennesaw State). UNA was a pretty decent D2 football program and expect it won't take them too long to be competitive at the FCS level.

katss07
November 19th, 2020, 05:26 PM
I'm not a big fan of this idea, although it seems more and more likely each and every day. We'll see if UCA is for real about dipping for the ASUN with the OVC schools.

Although unlikely, aside from Southern Utah, getting a Big Sky school to join would be huge. If they could find a way to Northern Colorado or Cal Poly. Unless that happens, I just don't see the positives in this move. Travel is undoubtably worse. Trips to Seattle and Chicago for non football sports sounds like a no-no. SHSU, along with SFA and Lamar are much more aligned with the Louisiana schools. I don't see this as a good move. I also believe fan support would see some effects too. SHSU already struggles to draw fan interest in sports right now, especially considering the football team's mediocrity over the past few years. Losing traditional rivalries would suck, and I don't think Dixie State or Tarleton will really stir up excitement with the casual fan.

This is strictly football wise btw... I see why a move would be made if the plan was the elevate basketball standing (that would be an SFA move).

Outsider1
November 19th, 2020, 08:00 PM
At this point there is no telling what will happen. None of our athletic departments are really saying, or squashing, anything. There are some good what if possibility with moves as much as there are reasons to stay put. Most all of it is based on what each of us decides to do. At least it is providing some decent conversation right now.

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2020, 08:22 PM
UNA is the University of North Alabama a recent D2 move up to the Big South in Football but are in the A-Sun for other sports. The A-Sun is trying to get six teams to go with their existing two football playing schools (North Alabama and Kennesaw State). UNA was a pretty decent D2 football program and expect it won't take them too long to be competitive at the FCS level.

know exactly who UNA is; I think they are a nice fit along with Jax State, EKU, UCA and Kennesaw. That’s a pretty darn good start to building out a football league!

Mocs123
November 20th, 2020, 05:43 AM
At this point there is no telling what will happen. None of our athletic departments are really saying, or squashing, anything. There are some good what if possibility with moves as much as there are reasons to stay put. Most all of it is based on what each of us decides to do. At least it is providing some decent conversation right now.

The A-Suns plan in particular is quite ambitious and it ONLY works if you get the right schools to switch. I think UCA (and EKU, JSU and any other schools that could be considering the move) would keep quiet unless they had consensus from the entire group. If just one or two announce and the others decide not to, it could leave a school on an island.

NY Crusader 2010
November 20th, 2020, 05:49 AM
I'm not a big fan of this idea, although it seems more and more likely each and every day. We'll see if UCA is for real about dipping for the ASUN with the OVC schools.

Although unlikely, aside from Southern Utah, getting a Big Sky school to join would be huge. If they could find a way to Northern Colorado or Cal Poly. Unless that happens, I just don't see the positives in this move. Travel is undoubtably worse. Trips to Seattle and Chicago for non football sports sounds like a no-no. SHSU, along with SFA and Lamar are much more aligned with the Louisiana schools. I don't see this as a good move. I also believe fan support would see some effects too. SHSU already struggles to draw fan interest in sports right now, especially considering the football team's mediocrity over the past few years. Losing traditional rivalries would suck, and I don't think Dixie State or Tarleton will really stir up excitement with the casual fan.

This is strictly football wise btw... I see why a move would be made if the plan was the elevate basketball standing (that would be an SFA move).

Is the WAC even that much of a basketball upgrade? Sure New Mexico State is there. But they will leave the second they get the chance. Grand Canyon has Dan Majerle as head coach and is winning 20 games / season but they're far from being the next Gonzaga.

katss07
November 20th, 2020, 07:35 AM
Is the WAC even that much of a basketball upgrade? Sure New Mexico State is there. But they will leave the second they get the chance. Grand Canyon has Dan Majerle as head coach and is winning 20 games / season but they're far from being the next Gonzaga.
Yes it definitely is. Per RPI, there quite literally are only two conferences worse than the Southland in basketball. It is 30th out of 32. And the conferences below them? SWAC and MEAC. And some of these Southland arenas aren't suitable for High School Basketball, let alone D1 games.

WAC is an upgrade. But basketball never has been, and never will be, a priority at SHSU. Not nearly as important as football and baseball. So idk how much the university will factor all this into the decision.

Laker
November 20th, 2020, 07:38 AM
Grand Canyon has Dan Majerle as head coach and is winning 20 games

Not as in March, when they fired him in an incredibly stupid decision.

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2020/03/13/former-phoenix-suns-dan-majerle-fired-gcu/

dgtw
November 20th, 2020, 08:35 AM
The A-Suns plan in particular is quite ambitious and it ONLY works if you get the right schools to switch. I think UCA (and EKU, JSU and any other schools that could be considering the move) would keep quiet unless they had consensus from the entire group. If just one or two announce and the others decide not to, it could leave a school on an island.

If this leads to an all sports conference where everyone plays football, I am for it. If Jax State is stuck in some huge far flung league with a bunch of non-FB schools and playing football in the Big South with road trips to New Jersey, I would just as soon stay in the OVC.

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2020, 09:32 AM

Northern Colorado would go to the Summit before the WAC since Denver is in the Summit and that would create a solid travel partner. Greely is not that far from Denver (1 hour) and Denver Airport flies everywhere. With WIU, they are going to eventually leave the Summit, (or be forced to) and probably try the OVC instead and getting Denver a travel partner would be a good get.

katss07
November 20th, 2020, 11:16 AM
Greeley smells like **** iirc.

UNC or NAU were a long shot anyways. I think the only realistic Big Sky school that would join the WAC is SUU (if that already isn't a done deal). Then again, who cares, it's not like SUU is going to move the needle.

The Southland is finally gaining traction as a two-three bid league at the FCS level. I think it's stupid we'd up and leave with the other "Texas 4" to join Tarleton, Dixie State (for real??) and Southern Utah. Backwards move.

Daytripper
November 20th, 2020, 11:39 AM

UNC or NAU were a long shot anyways. I think the only realistic Big Sky school that would join the WAC is SUU (if that already isn't a done deal). Then again, who cares, it's not like SUU is going to move the needle.

The Southland is finally gaining traction as a two-three bid league at the FCS level. I think it's stupid we'd up and leave with the other "Texas 4" to join Tarleton, Dixie State (for real??) and Southern Utah. Backwards move.

It may not be a 2-3 bid league with the likelihood of UCA splitting. You are assuming that Nicholls and SELA will maintain their status as upper tier members. Or that Sam Houston won't simply continue its downward slide. Or some other teams are going to all of a sudden get better.

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2020, 01:41 PM

Never been to Greeley, but I have been to Loveland. That said they would be best suited for The Summit league especially since they offer Baseball and they are already joining for that purpose.

JacksFan40
November 20th, 2020, 02:05 PM
Northern Colorado would go to the Summit before the WAC since Denver is in the Summit and that would create a solid travel partner. Greely is not that far from Denver (1 hour) and Denver Airport flies everywhere. With WIU, they are going to eventually leave the Summit, (or be forced to) and probably try the OVC instead and getting Denver a travel partner would be a good get.
May as well rename the Summit to the NCC at that point.

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2020, 02:08 PM
May as well rename the Summit to the NCC at that point.I mean, that's what we are getting to at this point.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Outsider1
November 20th, 2020, 07:18 PM

This is key. It makes me wonder what conversations are going on behind the scenes in the WAC, SLC, A-SUN, etc... I don't think any of the TX SLC schools leave for the WAC without knowing they have others going with them.

lionsrking2
November 20th, 2020, 10:58 PM
It may not be a 2-3 bid league with the likelihood of UCA splitting. You are assuming that Nicholls and SELA will maintain their status as upper tier members. Or that Sam Houston won't simply continue its downward slide. Or some other teams are going to all of a sudden get better.

If the new transfer rule doesn't get us, and the spring season goes off close to plan, we'll be good for the foreseeable future. This may be the best team we've ever had, and we have a lot of young talent. Nicholls is in pretty good shape as well.

Puddin Tane
November 21st, 2020, 12:43 AM
Not sure about anyone else, but I am down with Western Athletic Conference football in 2022.

Schools...

Abilene Christian
Dixie State
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Stephen F Austin
Tarleton State

If you are Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin, you maintain the Battle of the Piney Woods.
Lamar will and could still play McNeese out of league play and SFA can do the same with Northwestern State. I doubt those schools would want to give up those rivalry games especially with the short travel.

The new, constituted WAC would likely need to add one more school if not two. Ideally UTRGV would add football and I know there's talks of Southern Utah (which would be an hour commute from Dixie State, great for non-football sports!) to help fill a few more slots on the schedule but you could easily have plenty of SLC vs WAC games, plus WAC vs SWAC games for the OOC play.

man...leave us out. Much rather stay in the swamp with our neighbors than go all over hell and back. Besides, all those western schools...too high above sea level..airs too thin!

Daytripper
November 21st, 2020, 09:45 AM
man...leave us out. Much rather stay in the swamp with our neighbors than go all over hell and back. Besides, all those western schools...too high above sea level..airs too thin!

I heard that Lamar wanted to eventually go FBS. If so, the WAC would be their best path.

katss07
November 21st, 2020, 11:22 AM
iirc, Lamar administration actually came out and said they wanted to go FBS 5 years after the program's revival back when they were starting things up again.

If joining the WAC is an FBS "golden ticket" then the Texas 4 should go all in on joining (although none of the schools are FBS ready right now). I just can't imagine this being the case. Especially considering Dixie State will be in the conference.

lionsrking2
November 21st, 2020, 01:22 PM
That would be total disaster IMO. It would destroy your football programs and weaken baseball. Marginal positive impact on basketball. Not to mention cost a lot more money.

Puddin Tane
November 21st, 2020, 07:29 PM
I heard that Lamar wanted to eventually go FBS. If so, the WAC would be their best path.

I think we’re fine where we are.

Puddin Tane
November 21st, 2020, 07:44 PM
Texas has enough crappy FBS skools as it is. No need to add more

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2020, 10:09 AM
The LEAST LIKELY thing to happen IMO is that a bunch of established DI/FCS schools in Central and East Texas suddenly decide to up and leave for a fledgling hodge-podge West Coast / Rocky Mountain-based conference full of transitional DI members.

so the SFA leadership is not pleased with the southland leadership and direction they are taking the conference and that started with the addition of HBU and UIW.

UCA to ASUN is a done deal. You’ll hear the texas4 to the WAC probably after the new year.

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2020, 10:10 AM
That would be total disaster IMO. It would destroy your football programs and weaken baseball. Marginal positive impact on basketball. Not to mention cost a lot more money.

it actually could have a huge impact on basketball as SFA and Sam are the reason the southland is ranked the weakest conference in D1.

lionsrking2
November 22nd, 2020, 11:26 AM
it actually could have a huge impact on basketball as SFA and Sam are the reason the southland is ranked the weakest conference in D1.
Marginal impact at best. Any realistic version of a new WAC you can come up with will be a one bid hoops league and the winner will not get a seed any higher than the best seed SFA has ever had.

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2020, 12:27 PM
Marginal impact at best. Any realistic version of a new WAC you can come up with will be a one bid hoops league and the winner will not get a seed any higher than the best seed SFA has ever had.

southland is ranked 31, WAC currently is 23. There’s room for growth as well as the ability to tie in with other mid major conferences for wac vs xxx matches. Also the conference tourney isn’t in a high school gym.

sorry, but for those of us with successful basketball programs, it’s a next step forward. The southland isn’t going to help with any sort of growth

lionsrking2
November 22nd, 2020, 01:19 PM
southland is ranked 31, WAC currently is 23. There’s room for growth as well as the ability to tie in with other mid major conferences for wac vs xxx matches. Also the conference tourney isn’t in a high school gym.

sorry, but for those of us with successful basketball programs, it’s a next step forward. The southland isn’t going to help with any sort of growth

Marginal growth, yes, but not significant. Do what ya gotta do though.

WestCoastAggie
November 23rd, 2020, 07:41 AM
so the SFA leadership is not pleased with the southland leadership and direction they are taking the conference and that started with the addition of HBU and UIW.

UCA to ASUN is a done deal. You’ll hear the texas4 to the WAC probably after the new year.

Interesting.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2020, 12:08 PM

sorry, but for those of us with successful basketball programs, it’s a next step forward. The southland isn’t going to help with any sort of growthSo WAC football would be FCS then? Cant see NMSU wanting that, even though it would be good for them.

Lamar, SHSU, SFA, ACU, Dixie St, Tarleton St, and add SUU and hope NMSU drops down? If you could find one more team to get to 9 football teams, that would be ideal.

I would have to believe Chicago St is gone as well as Seattle University? That would leave you with 12 teams then since UVU, UTRVG, Cal Baptist, and GCU do not play football, as of yet.

TexasTerror
November 23rd, 2020, 01:21 PM
So WAC football would be FCS then? Cant see NMSU wanting that, even though it would be good for them.

Lamar, SHSU, SFA, ACU, Dixie St, Tarleton St, and add SUU and hope NMSU drops down? If you could find one more team to get to 9 football teams, that would be ideal.

I would have to believe Chicago St is gone as well as Seattle University? That would leave you with 12 teams then since UVU, UTRVG, Cal Baptist, and GCU do not play football, as of yet.

NMSU is not in the equation for WAC football at the FCS level. That is going to be repeated and repeated again by folks who follow the WAC and those from the four Texas institutions.
giving
I think if the WAC can drop Chicago State and Seattle, you have a pretty decent league geographically especially if Southern Utah comes into the fold. Would love to see RGV commit to a plan for football, would make things even better and keep travel in check. The key is getting to nine football schools if you asked me, so you could do four home, four away and only have to schedule three non-league games.

With SHSU, SFA, ACU, Lamar, Tarleton, Dixie State, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado or Northern Arizona (I could see either occurring), you've got eight teams. Where's your ninth?

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2020, 03:40 PM
NMSU is not in the equation for WAC football at the FCS level. That is going to be repeated and repeated again by folks who follow the WAC and those from the four Texas institutions.
giving
I think if the WAC can drop Chicago State and Seattle, you have a pretty decent league geographically especially if Southern Utah comes into the fold. Would love to see RGV commit to a plan for football, would make things even better and keep travel in check. The key is getting to nine football schools if you asked me, so you could do four home, four away and only have to schedule three non-league games.

With SHSU, SFA, ACU, Lamar, Tarleton, Dixie State, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado or Northern Arizona (I could see either occurring), you've got eight teams. Where's your ninth?

West Texas A&M moves up from DII.

Maybe Prairie View A&M. They have the football facilities.

lionsrking2
November 23rd, 2020, 03:42 PM
giving

With that lineup, you're looking at least two plane flights per year for everybody in football, plus additional travel costs for minor sports.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2020, 05:32 PM
giving

With SHSU, SFA, ACU, Lamar, Tarleton, Dixie State, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado or Northern Arizona (I could see either occurring), you've got eight teams. Where's your ninth?NAU and Northern Colorado are not going to happen. NAU enjoys the Big Sky and it's going to be hard to pull them away. UNC would choose the Summit over the WAC. That's why getting NMSU would be huge or adding West Texas A&M and getting UTRVG into Football would be also a solid play.

NY Crusader 2010
November 23rd, 2020, 08:55 PM
New Mexico State is not joining the WAC in football. If a couple of C-USA teams do what they should do and go back into the Sun Belt (MTSU, WKU + maybe even Marshall), NMSU might actually be a good fit for C-USA alongside UTEP and UTSA, especially with good basketball as an asset.

Would the Missouri Valley Conference ever consider NMSU as an all-sports member? That's a league that could use some juice in the wake of Creighton and Wichita leaving. Loyola is not going to be a player on the national mid-major stage for that long.

But as far as football, they'd definitely prefer to stay FBS independent than drop to the WAC.

Backdraft
December 4th, 2020, 01:56 AM
Maybe Prairie View A&M. They have the football facilities.

Not going to happen, the Swac has it's own plans and may be expanding again in 2022

mvfcfan
December 4th, 2020, 10:05 AM
New Mexico State is not joining the WAC in football. If a couple of C-USA teams do what they should do and go back into the Sun Belt (MTSU, WKU + maybe even Marshall), NMSU might actually be a good fit for C-USA alongside UTEP and UTSA, especially with good basketball as an asset.

Would the Missouri Valley Conference ever consider NMSU as an all-sports member? That's a league that could use some juice in the wake of Creighton and Wichita leaving. Loyola is not going to be a player on the national mid-major stage for that long.

But as far as football, they'd definitely prefer to stay FBS independent than drop to the WAC.

There's no way the MVC would add NM State just because of travel. I think the MVC will likely stick with the 10 we have. There are only three schools on the MVC's radar: St Louis, Belmont, and Murray State in that order. Expanding to 11 is not an option (has to be 12) and SLU and Belmont are not interested.

Baron Sardonicus
December 4th, 2020, 01:37 PM
I think the MVC will likely stick with the 10 we have. There are only three schools on the MVC's radar: St Louis, Belmont, and Murray State in that order. Expanding to 11 is not an option (has to be 12) and SLU and Belmont are not interested.

Give it a few years, and St. Thomas might be in the picture. That's only if there would be a significantly bigger TV contract.

NY Crusader 2010
December 4th, 2020, 05:53 PM
There's no way the MVC would add NM State just because of travel. I think the MVC will likely stick with the 10 we have. There are only three schools on the MVC's radar: St Louis, Belmont, and Murray State in that order. Expanding to 11 is not an option (has to be 12) and SLU and Belmont are not interested.

St. Louis should IMO be the next team to get into the Big East if they decide they need to expand to 12 (they may not). Why would Belmont not be interested?

- - - Updated - - -

Give it a few years, and St. Thomas might be in the picture. That's only if there would be a significantly bigger TV contract.

There wouldn't be a significantly bigger TV contract, but St. Thomas could be in the picture within 10 years for sure.

mvfcfan
December 5th, 2020, 12:17 AM
Belmont would be an outlier in the MVC. They are right in the center of the OVC. They did as a matter of fact decline MVC membership in 2013 and in 2017. Besides travel though, Belmont has an excellent chance of making the NCAA tournament or the NIT every year. They also received an at-large bid in 2019. They aren't in a bad situation by staying in the OVC.

jajfitz
December 5th, 2020, 04:54 PM
I've always been curious why NMSU isn't in the Mountain West.

katss07
December 6th, 2020, 10:20 AM
It might have something to do with the fact that they've had 2 winning seasons since 1980. Their football program is god awful. Like, they got kicked out of the Sun Belt bad... not good. Las Cruces is in the middle of nowhere. Stadium is FCS quality. And it's not like they're UNM, who has a large stadium, historically successful basketball and a large metropolitan area to support.

NMSU should really just go FCS, but they're too stubborn because they don't want to lose their rivalry with New Mexico and UTEP. Can't really blame them, but it's a shame. They'd be a great fit in the new WAC or in the Southland.

SFA 93
December 6th, 2020, 02:15 PM
NEW MEXICO STATE FOOTBALL
87 Year History
RECORD: 316-589-14
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS: 4
BOWL RECORD: 3-0-1
RANKING: No preseason ranking ever, 1 Time Final Poll Ranking
AGGIE MEMORIAL STADIUM CAPACITY: 30,343

BEST SEASONS: 1959 (8-3; Sun Bowl Champions) and 1960 (11-0; Sun Bowl Champions AP POLL #17)

LAST WINNING SEASON: 2017; 7-6 Arizona Bowl Champions
LAST BACK TO BACK WINNING SEASONS: 1966; 1967

NY Crusader 2010
December 6th, 2020, 03:03 PM

More likely they could end up in C-USA alongside UTEP. MWC probably about as interested in New Mexico State as they were in bringing in Idaho.

wapiti
December 6th, 2020, 09:48 PM

If the WAC has a solid plan to move to FBS, then NMSU might join WAC football at the FCS level

NY Crusader 2010
December 7th, 2020, 05:32 AM
If the WAC has a solid plan to move to FBS, then NMSU might join WAC football at the FCS level

Good luck with that.

SFA 93
December 7th, 2020, 04:44 PM
SFA to the WAC, news coming later.

Per the Sawmill “Hearing that the WAC's official additions of Southern Utah, Sam Houston State, Lamar, Abilene Christian and Stephen F Austin will be finalized in the next two-ish weeks.“

katss07
December 7th, 2020, 07:04 PM
Ugh, it looks like this is probably going to happen.

Texas 4 and SUU to the WAC.

Laker
December 7th, 2020, 07:07 PM
If this actually happens- would Northern Arizona be interested?

Baron Sardonicus
December 7th, 2020, 07:56 PM
Guess it's happening. I've given up trying to be logical.

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2020, 09:16 PM

As a SHSU fan, do you really want to kick back in a league with HBU, UIW, Corpus and the Louisiana schools?

Daytripper
December 8th, 2020, 06:09 AM
As a SHSU fan, do you really want to kick back in a league with HBU, UIW, Corpus and the Louisiana schools?

This. We move to a more viable and competitive conference, long term, while keeping our longstanding in-state rival.

chrisattsu
December 8th, 2020, 07:34 AM
As a SHSU fan, do you really want to kick back in a league with HBU, UIW, Corpus and the Louisiana schools?I am happy for you to join us in the WAC.

I get that Nichols is underfunded. Lamars rival is McNeese, why would they want to go?

Aside from not having football what is the problem with Corpus? Basketball at ABC and baseball at Whataburger, what is Sam's issue with them?

UIW had potential in San Antonio and seemed to have money when the moved up, why are they not liked by Sam and SFa fans?

lionsrking2
December 8th, 2020, 09:43 AM
This. We move to a more viable and competitive conference, long term, while keeping our longstanding in-state rival.

Really?

TexasTerror
December 8th, 2020, 10:21 AM
I get that Nichols is underfunded. Lamars rival is McNeese, why would they want to go?

Lamar is the Texas State University System as you know.

Lamar and Sam Houston State are more connected at the hip (rivalry aside) than Lamar and McNeese State. Lamar as an academic institution sees itself more aligned with Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin than McNeese State.

Aside from not having football what is the problem with Corpus? Basketball at ABC and baseball at Whataburger, what is Sam's issue with them?

Considering who we know is behind the scenes on this, it is a bit shocking that Corpus is not included and is pretty much "left on an island" in the Southland Conference.

I think their lack of football is what does them in for the time being because the WAC wants football back and they have too many non-basketball members. Corpus will be part of the equation once the league settles into form, if you asked me and/or one of the non-football schools (notably UTRGV, who I think will add FB in next few years) adds a football program. The math just does not work out at this point, even if they shed Chicago State as there's a need for more football schools and tightening the divisions to make Olympic sport travel less cost prohibitive, particularly in the west that involves multiple states.

- - - Updated - - -

Posted this on KatFans... keep in mind, this is from the SHSU perspective...

I think you guys are making too much of a stink about travel.

In football - if there's Dixie State & Southern Utah, you are looking at one flight per year for a conference game. With the departures of the Texas institutions from the SLC, you better believe the leftovers of the SLC + the new WAC schools will play each other in football games out of league play. They'll all desperately need games.

In other sports, you can do a pretty good job keeping things mostly divisional.

In basketball, you could play home-and-home in the division plus each intra-division foe once (which equates to one or two road swings).

In sports like volleyball and softball, you can keep it in the division and then play one "crossover" in the west and one "crossover" in the east to limit flights to one plus the league tournament.

Tennis does not need conference play nor cross country, track & field. They all have conference championships. Tennis championships can be based on ITA rankings. If we add beach volleyball, there's probably some sort of ranking system to do the same.

Soccer is a bit of an issue (though I do not see why you couldn't do home-and-away within the division and play a league tournament with seeds based on divisional ranks) and baseball could perhaps feature home-and-away weekend series in division with some sort of rotation for intra-division where over a few years time, you host and play at the other side of the league.

I do not think travel is as bad as folks are making it out. With SLC schools "in play" for OOC games across all sports and schools over the next few years keeping things regional (look at SHSU men's basketball schedule with no flights this year), I think the OOC won't be an issue to keep relatively regional/local. Plus being in the WAC will enhance the RPI in hoops.

Schism55
December 8th, 2020, 12:46 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1336365050219679744

Professor
December 8th, 2020, 04:25 PM
So what would this proposed conference look like?

Daytripper
December 8th, 2020, 04:28 PM
So what would this proposed conference look like?

For football?

SUU
Dixie State
Tarleton State
ACU
SFA
SHSU
Lamar
*one more at minimum - possibly Northern Colorado or Northern Arizona

dgtw
December 8th, 2020, 05:26 PM
Might the WAC take in the Big Sky football affiliates?

chrisattsu
December 8th, 2020, 07:45 PM
For football?

SUU
Dixie State
Tarleton State
ACU
SFA
SHSU
Lamar
*one more at minimum - possibly Northern Colorado or Northern ArizonaFor Olympic sports, whataburger vs In n Out Divisions

East/Whataburger (All Texas core)-
Tarleton, ACU, Sam, SFA, Lamar, UT Rio Grande + Chicago State

WEST/In n Out (Cali, AZ, Utah, NM core)
New Mexico State, Grand Canyon, Cal Baptist, Utah Valley, Southern Utah, Dixie State + Seattle

I have placed Chicago and Seattle last because if you separate them from the rest, the footprint doesn't look unreasonable.

Not that I am advocating their departure from the league

*whataburger is a Texas staple but it was recently sold to a Chicago owned firm

SFA 93
December 8th, 2020, 08:23 PM
The only two teams in the nation with Lumberjacks as their mascot, and they could possibly be in the same conference.

SFA 93
December 8th, 2020, 08:25 PM
For Olympic sports, whataburger vs In n Out Divisions

East/Whataburger (All Texas core)-
Tarleton, ACU, Sam, SFA, Lamar, UT Rio Grande + Chicago State

WEST/In n Out (Cali, AZ, Utah, NM core)
New Mexico State, Grand Canyon, Cal Baptist, Utah Valley, Southern Utah, Dixie State + Seattle

I have placed Chicago and Seattle last because if you separate them from the rest, the footprint doesn't look unreasonable.

Not that I am advocating their departure from the league

*whataburger is a Texas staple but it was recently sold to a Chicago owned firm

I think they’re already leaving.

Baron Sardonicus
December 8th, 2020, 08:57 PM
I'll take the Dale Lindsey Combo, NM State & San Diego. Animal Style, of course.

chrisattsu
December 8th, 2020, 09:17 PM
I think they’re already leaving.A poster on reddit (fu-dupaul) referenced this map.. Pretty clean if you ask me

https://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/New_WAC_12_8_2020

Puddin Tane
December 8th, 2020, 10:36 PM

THIS THIS AND THIS!

I hope this doesnt happen.

Daytripper
December 9th, 2020, 05:53 AM
THIS THIS AND THIS!

I hope this doesnt happen.

Get ready. It's a done deal.

SFA 93
December 9th, 2020, 06:57 AM
It seems Utah Valley with their 33,000 student body enrollment would at sometime start a football program.

wapiti
December 9th, 2020, 09:21 AM

St. George and Cedar City is a beautiful area of the country. If you make a trip there to see a game plan an extra day or two to do some site-seeing.
Zion Natl. Park is worth the visit.

wapiti
December 9th, 2020, 09:27 AM
For football?

SUU
Dixie State
Tarleton State
ACU
SFA
SHSU
Lamar
*one more at minimum - possibly Northern Colorado or Northern Arizona

Would this mean WAC would be auto playoff for the conference winner in their first year?
5 teams are coming from a conference that is playoff eligible.

except for Dixie and Tarleton. They are move ups from Div 2

Libertine
December 9th, 2020, 10:02 AM
Would this mean WAC would be auto playoff for the conference winner in their first year?
5 teams are coming from a conference that is playoff eligible.

except for Dixie and Tarleton. They are move ups from Div 2

As is, no. If I recall correctly, you need six playoff-eligible teams (Dixie and Tarleton aren't) that have been together for two years for a conference to be eligible to request an an autobid. If they pulled two more from the Southland, it could be possible but, again, autobids have to be requested by the conference and granted through a vote by the playoff committee; it's not automatic.

solohawks
December 9th, 2020, 10:24 AM
As is, no. If I recall correctly, you need six playoff-eligible teams (Dixie and Tarleton aren't) that have been together for two years for a conference to be eligible to request an an autobid. If they pulled two more from the Southland, it could be possible but, again, autobids have to be requested by the conference and granted through a vote by the playoff committee; it's not automatic.

Is an auto bid that big of a deal? The Southland FCS teams have name, stature. If they won this new WAC, they would get in the playoff. I just dont see this as a deal breaker, especially when it would be temporary.

Libertine
December 9th, 2020, 10:37 AM
Is an auto bid that big of a deal? The Southland FCS teams have name, stature. If they won this new WAC, they would get in the playoff. I just dont see this as a deal breaker, especially when it would be temporary.

More than likely, you're correct. So long as ineligible Dixie or Tarleton don't win the league, the winner of the WAC should have no problem getting into the playoffs, especially after the field goes back to 24 after this spring.

wapiti
December 10th, 2020, 10:08 AM
According to this article Weber State is being targeted by the WAC.
https://www.ksl.com/article/50063697/southern-utah-seriously-considering-invitation-to-join-the-wac-but-other-schools-also-targeted-for-football-revival

I do not see Weber leaving the Big Sky, but who knows?

NDSUKurt
December 10th, 2020, 11:24 AM
According to this article Weber State is being targeted by the WAC.
https://www.ksl.com/article/50063697/southern-utah-seriously-considering-invitation-to-join-the-wac-but-other-schools-also-targeted-for-football-revival

I do not see Weber leaving the Big Sky, but who knows?

One item that I do not believe is accurate in this article: "New Mexico State is currently a member of the league in all other sports and an FBS independent in football, but the Aggies have been reluctant to drop down to the FCS due to financial reasons (FCS schools are limited in how many FBS opponents they can play each year in traditional "buy games")."

As far as I can tell, there is no rule restricting how many buy games a FCS team can have. I know that there have been multiple FCS teams that have played 3 FBS games in the same year - Nicholls State (2013), Western Carolina (2013) come to mind.

I think that this author is thinking that id New Mexico State were to drop down, they would not be able to schedules as many of the guarantee games that they can when they play as an FBS Independent school.

I do not think New Mexico State will drop down, so it is a moot point, but that would be interesting if they did.

Baron Sardonicus
December 10th, 2020, 11:54 AM
One item that I do not believe is accurate in this article:
they would not be able to schedules as many of the guarantee games that they can when they play as an FBS Independent school.

Don't know about the number of money games they could schedule, but they wouldn't be able to get Alabama. That's $3.6 million for two games.

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2020, 11:58 AM
There is no limit to the amount of buy games an FCS team can play. It's just that you typically get less of them on average than if you are an FBS G5. And the payout is less, to my knowledge. Since FBS schools can only "count" one FCS win per season, that limits the number of guarantee game opportunities for FCS schools as a whole.

As FCS you also never get home games against FBS teams. So New Mexico State's rivalry games with UNM and UTEP would both a) all become road games and b) not be played every single year in all likelihood. FBS/FCS crossover rivalries that get maintained on an every-year basis are pretty much non-existent. Villanova-Temple is probably the game that gets played with the most frequency. UNI seems to rotate between Iowa and Iowa State every year. That's really about it as far as steady quasi-annual games between the two divisions.

I think if the Texas schools all do end up joining the WAC (which would be quite the get IMO), it definitely becomes a more ideal destination for New Mexico State than it would have been otherwise. If I were the Aggies, C-USA would be my target move -- to get in a league alongside UTEP, North Texas and UTSA. Plus, I hypothesized in other posts that perhaps some of the interior south schools might look to leave C-USA and go back to the Belt, like WKU and MTSU.

TexasTerror
December 10th, 2020, 12:00 PM
Kendall Rogers throws his support behind the Matt Brown 'scoop'.

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1337076375002505219

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Don't know about the number of money games they could schedule, but they wouldn't be able to get Alabama. That's $3.6 million for two games.

They could still get Alabama but likely not at that price. BAMA typically plays a late-season body bag game against a SoCon team the week before Auburn. A couple years ago, they were actually losing at halftime to The Citadel. Tide wound up winning by 6 touchdowns...

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2020, 12:21 PM
So the Southland conference would then look like this after WAC moves:

Nicholls
McNeese
Corpus Christi
Incarnate Word
Houston Baptist
New Orleans
SELA
Central Arkansas
Northwestern State

That's 9 basketball schools and 7 football schools. Definitely enough meat on the bone to survive but I guess let's see what the A-SUN has in mind as far as poaching.

TheRevSFA
December 10th, 2020, 12:34 PM
So the Southland conference would then look like this after WAC moves:

Nicholls
McNeese
Corpus Christi
Incarnate Word
Houston Baptist
New Orleans
SELA
Central Arkansas
Northwestern State

That's 9 basketball schools and 7 football schools. Definitely enough meat on the bone to survive but I guess let's see what the A-SUN has in mind as far as poaching.

UCA is gone. They’re off to ASUN/big south

Daytripper
December 10th, 2020, 01:55 PM
Looks like baseball is the first shoe to drop. Kendall Rodgers is a reliable source.

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1337076375002505219

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2020, 02:19 PM
https://twitter.com/SplitSouthland/status/1336332752577200128

Baron Sardonicus
December 10th, 2020, 04:50 PM
https://twitter.com/SplitSouthland/status/1336332752577200128

Add no one. I'd let it be.

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2020, 06:01 PM
Expansion candidates mentioned:

West Texas A&M -- Very strong DII football, great facilities per pics
Harding- never heard of it
Dallas Baptist -- great mid-major college baseball, D-II in all other sports, no football
Angelo State -- facilities look they could use an upgrade, they DID beat Abilene Christian this year in football right?

If I'm the Southland, I'm not OVER-expanding. Get to 8 for football, up to 10 for basketball. Don't over-dilute.

Would former I-AA power McNeese State be looking to join forces with the likes of UCA and Jax State in the "new" A-SUN?

katss07
December 10th, 2020, 06:17 PM
Southland can't hold at six, they'll need to expand or the conference won't last much longer. Especially with the NCAA's Auto-Bid qualifications. If WTAMU isn't scooped up by the WAC, they'd obviously make a great fit. Large enrollment, good facilities, success at the D2 level. Outside of the Buffs, maybe Texas A&M Commerce makes the jump? Texas A&M Kingsville? Central Oklahoma? I'd bet it'll be one of those Lone Star Conference schools.

Regardless I think the SLC needs to expand or it'll fizzle out.

dbackjon
December 10th, 2020, 06:30 PM
Other ones:

TAMU - Commerce
Central Oklahoma
Midwestern State

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2020, 07:21 PM
Would former I-AA power McNeese State be looking to join forces with the likes of UCA and Jax State in the "new" A-SUN?

We would before they would. We were previously in the A-Sun (formerly TAAC), and have history with UNA and JSU in football from our D2 days in the old GSC. Plus we're a better fit geographically, along with Nicholls.

Don't be surprised if there's a strong push by either the SLC or A-Sun, or both, to coax West Florida into moving up. They would be a strong addition to any FCS conference.

SFA 93
December 10th, 2020, 07:23 PM
That would be the worst basketball conference in the history of basketball conferences.

chrisattsu
December 10th, 2020, 07:50 PM
Add no one. I'd let it be.Yup. Even if you look at membership, uiw is on an island. Cut Texas and focus on gulf coast

lionsrking2
December 11th, 2020, 01:04 AM

West Texas A&M -- Very strong DII football, great facilities per pics
Harding- never heard of it
Dallas Baptist -- great mid-major college baseball, D-II in all other sports, no football
Angelo State -- facilities look they could use an upgrade, they DID beat Abilene Christian this year in football right?

If I'm the Southland, I'm not OVER-expanding. Get to 8 for football, up to 10 for basketball. Don't over-dilute.

Adding to previous response: There's strong sentiment to add West Florida if they're interested in moving up, particularly among Louisiana schools. Fourth year D-2 program and already have a National Championship and a runner-up under their belts. Pensacola is a three hour drive from Hammond, about four to Thibodaux and 5 1/2 to Lake Charles. About 6 1/2 to Natchitoches, 7 1/2 - 8 to Houston. San Antonio is a plane trip. The A-Sun would probably want UWF as well.

Personally, I would like to see us and Nicholls go with UCA to the A-Sun, and get West Florida to move up and come along; but I doubt our president would go for that at the moment. There will no doubt be political pressure for the Louisiana schools to stick together, especially given the present economy. Wouldn't shock me if some type of arrangement with Southern and Grambling materialized. Lots of moving parts for sure.

All I know is there's not much appetite in these parts for additional Texas schools. Maybe an A&M-Commerce, but anything west of there is a solid NO.

dbackjon
December 11th, 2020, 11:39 AM
Adding to previous response: There's strong sentiment to add West Florida if they're interested in moving up, particularly among Louisiana schools. Fourth year D-2 program and already have a National Championship and a runner-up under their belts. Pensacola is a three hour drive from Hammond, about four to Thibodaux and 5 1/2 to Lake Charles. About 6 1/2 to Natchitoches, 7 1/2 - 8 to Houston. San Antonio is a plane trip. The A-Sun would probably want UWF as well.

Personally, I would like to see us and Nicholls go with UCA to the A-Sun, and get West Florida to move up and come along; but I doubt our president would go for that at the moment. There will no doubt be political pressure for the Louisiana schools to stick together, especially given the present economy. Wouldn't shock me if some type of arrangement with Southern and Grambling materialized. Lots of moving parts for sure.

All I know is there's not much appetite in these parts for additional Texas schools. Maybe an A&M-Commerce, but anything west of there is a solid NO.

Down the road a bit (not full D2 members until next year) UT-Tyler would be even closer, but no football yet.

unknown3
December 11th, 2020, 01:29 PM
The irony after everyone talked about how the MEAC was going to collapse.

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2020, 04:40 PM

DBU's gym maxes out at 1,600.

https://dbupatriots.com/images/2019/11/26/RSR_9558.jpg

katss07
December 12th, 2020, 10:28 AM
The irony after everyone talked about how the MEAC was going to collapse.
The MEAC did collapse

NY Crusader 2010
December 12th, 2020, 11:11 AM

You mean like Fordham? :)

katss07
December 12th, 2020, 11:47 AM
HBU plays in a high school gym. I don't think the Southland would throw a candidate out because their arena is a little small.

Schism55
December 12th, 2020, 12:41 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1337826440776196097

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2020, 11:56 AM
Comments from the NMSU athletic director...

New Mexico State athletic director Mario Moccia declined to comment directly on the WAC’s expansion plans Thursday, but he did offer opinions on how such changes could affect NMSU.
“I can’t comment on any active membership situations,” Moccia said, “but in general I think expansion for the WAC is a positive thing. Adding schools would provide stability, which has been an issue for the league, and the possibility of adding football is exciting.”

“In terms of football, I understand there’s talk of an FCS league,” Moccia said. “But it would be really exciting if those schools came in with an eye toward reclassifying to FBS in a few years. We’ll just have to see how things play out.”

https://www.abqjournal.com/1525741/wac-reportedly-eyes-a-return-to-football.html

Baron Sardonicus
December 14th, 2020, 12:26 PM
“But it would be really exciting if those schools came in with an eye toward reclassifying to FBS in a few years.”

Might be the best clue yet on why this is happening.

katss07
December 14th, 2020, 12:33 PM
I dunno about all that. I think they just got sick of being conference mates with schools like Nicholls and HBU, who have poor facilities and don't spend on athletics

kdinva
December 14th, 2020, 12:58 PM
still twice as big as Chuck South's..

Daytripper
December 14th, 2020, 01:00 PM
I dunno about all that. I think they just got sick of being conference mates with schools like Nicholls and HBU, who have poor facilities and don't spend on athletics

Don't the visiting players have to hang out under tents at halftime at NWST?

NY Crusader 2010
December 14th, 2020, 01:04 PM
I still think the idea that the new WAC is going to become an FBS conference is laughable. New Mexico State and Sam Houston? Sure -- but let's remember this league being put together is half D-II upstarts who are still transitioning to FCS, let alone FBS.

But then again I thought that the idea that SHSU and SFA would consider this move originally was laughable. So what do I know?

katss07
December 14th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Don't the visiting players have to hang out under tents at halftime at NWST?
I'm not so sure the "tent locker room" is exclusive to NWST... iirc, UND made a big deal (and rightfully so) because they had to use pop ups and tarps as their locker room at Nicholls for a playoff game.

Daytripper
December 14th, 2020, 03:54 PM
I still think the idea that the new WAC is going to become an FBS conference is laughable. New Mexico State and Sam Houston? Sure -- but let's remember this league being put together is half D-II upstarts who are still transitioning to FCS, let alone FBS.

But then again I thought that the idea that SHSU and SFA would consider this move originally was laughable. So what do I know?

If it does go FBS is will be the relatively distant future. Nobody in that potential conference is ready for FBS, even NMSU isn't.

SDFS
December 14th, 2020, 07:23 PM
I'm not so sure the "tent locker room" is exclusive to NWST... iirc, UND made a big deal (and rightfully so) because they had to use pop ups and tarps as their locker room at Nicholls for a playoff game.

I think UND brought it up because one of the requirements for hosting a FCS playoff games is that hosting schools should have adequate facilities. UND was questioning tents and popups as adequate facilities.

chrisattsu
December 14th, 2020, 07:50 PM

https://dbupatriots.com/images/2019/11/26/RSR_9558.jpgIs that really any different from HBU or UIW?

Mocs123
December 15th, 2020, 07:10 AM
still twice as big as Chuck South's..

That's as big as Chuck South's football stadium!

McNeese75
December 15th, 2020, 04:07 PM

Small schools with small enrollments and small facilities. But for a school with an enrollment of over 20,000 and a $20 per semester hour student athletic fee, SHSU facilites are somewhat lacking as well

katss07
December 15th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Small schools with small enrollments and small facilities. But for a school with an enrollment of over 20,000 and a $20 per semester hour student athletic fee, SHSU facilites are somewhat lacking as well
Absolutely, but not to the extent of... basically everyone in the conference aside from ACU, Lamar, McNeese and SFA. Have you been to Husky Stadium?

Facilities can be improved upon. Bobcat Stadium over in San Marcos wasn't exactly a football palace ten years ago. But with their large enrollment and student fees, they've turned things around. And I think that's what SHSU is kind of trying to do here...

Why should Sam, a school committed to athletics (budget exceeding $20 million), with it's growing enrollment that's now close to 22k, continue to share a conference with schools like HBU, who have enrollment the size of a D2 school. Or Nicholls, who barely spends 800k on their basketball program annually. SHSU, as well as the other Texas schools, are looking to advance their standing in the college sports landscape. The other schools seem content with sticking where they're at. That's fine, but you probably want to be in a conference with institutions that share goals similar to yours. And as the "Texas 4" continue to outgrow the Southland (both athletically and institutionally), it makes sense to leave the conference behind.

Daytripper
December 15th, 2020, 05:56 PM

I will not deny that.

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2020, 06:52 PM
Why should Sam, a school committed to athletics (budget exceeding $20 million), with it's growing enrollment that's now close to 22k, continue to share a conference with schools like HBU, who have enrollment the size of a D2 school. Or Nicholls, who barely spends 800k on their basketball program annually. SHSU, as well as the other Texas schools, are looking to advance their standing in the college sports landscape. The other schools seem content with sticking where they're at. That's fine, but you probably want to be in a conference with institutions that share goals similar to yours. And as the "Texas 4" continue to outgrow the Southland (both athletically and institutionally), it makes sense to leave the conference behind.

This is the same argument Texas and A&M made about Rice and TCU a quarter century ago.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2020, 11:32 AM
BREAKING- SFA administration recommends that @SFA_Athletics would move to the @WACsports starting July 2,2022. @SFAPresGordon would negotiate the terms with the WAC. Board of regents approves the recommendation.

https://twitter.com/CalebKTRE/status/1339623414231916548

Daytripper
December 17th, 2020, 02:06 PM
BREAKING- SFA administration recommends that @SFA_Athletics would move to the @WACsports starting July 2,2022. @SFAPresGordon would negotiate the terms with the WAC. Board of regents approves the recommendation.

The dominoes are going to start to fall.

wapiti
December 17th, 2020, 05:19 PM

How strong of a rivalry does SH have with SFA?
If it has much strength then I see SH following suit.

katss07
December 17th, 2020, 06:20 PM

Pretty strong rivalry between SHSU/SFA... although with 9 straight wins SHSU has kind of taken the excitement out of the BOTPW (I won't complain). The oldest CFB rivalry in Texas! Sam, Lamar and Abilene Christian are joining, just a matter of time.

Daytripper
December 17th, 2020, 07:04 PM
Pretty strong rivalry between SHSU/SFA... although with 9 straight wins SHSU has kind of taken the excitement out of the BOTPW (I won't complain). The oldest CFB rivalry in Texas! Sam, Lamar and Abilene Christian are joining, just a matter of time.

Sam has owned the football rivalry, but SFA has owned us in basketball for what seems like centuries.

Daytripper
December 17th, 2020, 07:05 PM

No way SFA does this without knowing that the other 3 are on board.

SFA 93
December 17th, 2020, 08:56 PM
Carthel is working on changing that.

Backdraft
December 18th, 2020, 04:39 AM

Since this league wouldn't take place until 2022, they would have 1 year left for Tarlenton St & Dixie St to become FCS eligible (since them will play in 2021 to start off their probation) which would give them eligibility as a conference in 2023. Waiting 1 year is not really a bad problem. They can still look to get a At Large bid and keep on rolling.

TheRevSFA
December 18th, 2020, 06:23 AM
Since this league wouldn't take place until 2022, they would have 1 year left for Tarlenton St & Dixie St to become FCS eligible (since them will play in 2021 to start off their probation) which would give them eligibility as a conference in 2023. Waiting 1 year is not really a bad problem. They can still look to get a At Large bid and keep on rolling.

they’ll get a waiver

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2020, 02:00 PM
Latest thought...

Current WAC FCS schools: Dixie State, Tarleton State
Additions: ACU, Lamar, SFA & SHSU plus Southern Utah

That's seven schools...

What happens if UC Davis and Cal Poly join as football only members of the WAC?

Benefits of that happening:

UC-Davis and Cal Poly get regular games in TX, an area they want to recruit vs. games in the "Big Sky"
UC-Davis and Cal Poly can still retain OOC games against California foe Sacramento State if they want. Hell, play it the last week of the season if you want UC-Davis! The WAC will probably let SFA do the same with Northwestern State (or at least both schools should aim to do that!)
Big Sky goes from 13 schools to 10 football schools by shedding UC-Davis, Cal Poly and Southern Utah.
The 'new' WAC gets four home / four away games by having nine institutions
Scheduling could be done in a way where most (if not all) of the Texas schools play in CA and UT once a year (two WAC flights per year for TX schools)

There's still chatter that Northern Colorado and/or Northern Arizona leaves the Big Sky for the WAC - do not think that's likely that both will jump. Of the two, Northern Colorado is most likely to make the move and I still do not see that as plausible.

solohawks
December 18th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Latest thought...

Current WAC FCS schools: Dixie State, Tarleton State
Additions: ACU, Lamar, SFA & SHSU plus Southern Utah

That's seven schools...

What happens if UC Davis and Cal Poly join as football only members of the WAC?

Benefits of that happening:

UC-Davis and Cal Poly get regular games in TX, an area they want to recruit vs. games in the "Big Sky"
UC-Davis and Cal Poly can still retain OOC games against California foe Sacramento State if they want. Hell, play it the last week of the season if you want UC-Davis! The WAC will probably let SFA do the same with Northwestern State (or at least both schools should aim to do that!)
Big Sky goes from 13 schools to 10 football schools by shedding UC-Davis, Cal Poly and Southern Utah.
The 'new' WAC gets four home / four away games by having nine institutions
Scheduling could be done in a way where most (if not all) of the Texas schools play in CA and UT once a year (two WAC flights per year for TX schools)

There's still chatter that Northern Colorado and/or Northern Arizona leaves the Big Sky for the WAC - do not think that's likely that both will jump. Of the two, Northern Colorado is most likely to make the move and I still do not see that as plausible.

What about Northern Colorado moving the rest of their sports to Summit in 2022, like they are doing with baseball in spring 2022, and then play football in the WAC starting in fall 2022, when the Texas schools look like they are joining.

TheKingpin28
December 18th, 2020, 02:44 PM
What about Northern Colorado moving the rest of their sports to Summit in 2022, like they are doing with baseball in spring 2022, and then play football in the WAC starting in fall 2022, when the Texas schools look like they are joining.

If UNC moves their sports to the Summit, they will have to go to either MVFC (gentlemen's agreement) or Pioneer.

katss07
December 18th, 2020, 06:59 PM
UNC or NAU would be huge for the WAC if they can convince them to join, just don't see that happening (although I said that about the Texas 4 leaving the SLC, it's all a crapshoot anyways). NAU has been in the Big Lie forever and in terms of strength of conference, anything else would be a step down for UNC. Just don't think the obscure D2 schools and Texas 4 are enough to lure an established program from the west.

Would be even better to pull Cal Poly or UC Davis... but I can't imagine those institutions are chomping at the bit to become conference mates with "Dixie State" or Tarleton.

lionsrking2
December 18th, 2020, 08:43 PM
UNC or NAU would be huge for the WAC if they can convince them to join, just don't see that happening (although I said that about the Texas 4 leaving the SLC, it's all a crapshoot anyways). NAU has been in the Big Lie forever and in terms of strength of conference, anything else would be a step down for UNC. Just don't think the obscure D2 schools and Texas 4 are enough to lure an established program from the west.

Would be even better to pull Cal Poly or UC Davis... but I can't imagine those institutions are chomping at the bit to become conference mates with "Dixie State" or Tarleton.

If Sam and Lamar were smart, they would stay and let SFA and ACU hang themselves. This WAC business has disaster written all over it.

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2020, 07:25 AM
If Sam and Lamar were smart, they would stay and let SFA and ACU hang themselves. This WAC business has disaster written all over it.

SFA and ACU aren’t going anywhere without the other two. This is all a moot point if the dominoes from the Texas schools don’t fall together.

And quite frankly if you were to take your UL System tinted glasses off, you would realize that if this whole thing falls apart - the issues won’t be improving anytime soon. The issues will still exist and be even more magnified. Look for continued attempts by the Texas institutions to hit the “abandon ship” button. If anything, the way certain schools wanted to handle or not handle COVID just made matters worse.

dgtw
December 19th, 2020, 07:36 AM

Isn’t there a law in California that state funds can’t be used to go to certain places that aren’t woke enough on LBFTQ policies?

Not trying to start a political debate on the issue, just asking a question about the laws.

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2020, 09:53 AM
Isn’t there a law in California that state funds can’t be used to go to certain places that aren’t woke enough on LBFTQ policies?

Not trying to start a political debate on the issue, just asking a question about the laws.

Games in conference and postseason are exempt. It’s intentionally scheduling OOC games in such states and using public monies to travel there.

- - - Updated - - -

Games in conference and postseason are exempt. It’s intentionally scheduling OOC games in such states and using public monies to travel there.

NY Crusader 2010
December 19th, 2020, 07:03 PM

- - - Updated - - -

The University of Albany Men's Basketball team was denied a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play at Duke a few years ago because of a similar Governor Cuomo-imposed policy. And the issue was about BATHROOMS!!

Laker
December 19th, 2020, 11:04 PM
The University of Albany Men's Basketball team was denied a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play at Duke a few years ago because of a similar Governor Cuomo-imposed policy. And the issue was about BATHROOMS!!

They made the same decision in Minnesota about sports teams going to North Carolina. I totally disagreed with it. Why punish your own athletes for something completely out of their control?

kdinva
January 11th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Formal announcement about this, This Thursday:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20210106100746855258804&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Laker
January 11th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Just saw this online.

https://www.americanpress.com/sports/southland-headed-for-breakup-wac-defections-would-leave-conference-with-six-football-schools/article_54e07e7c-5380-11eb-9ccc-87c914597847.html

TheRevSFA
January 11th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Maybe the Southland should fold and reform as the Gulf South, and move their HQ to Lake Charles or New Orleans.

Daytripper
January 11th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Maybe the Southland should fold and reform as the Gulf South, and move their HQ to Lake Charles or New Orleans.

Yeah. Frisco doesn't seem like a logical place for their headquarters after this.

Keeper
January 12th, 2021, 04:12 AM
Yeah. Frisco doesn't seem like a logical place for their headquarters after this.

Perhaps, before they think about moving, mosey up to Wichita Falls and talk to Midwestern about movin on up?
and maybe a side trip to TAMUC?

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2021, 07:16 AM

Bad take?

Announcement comes out Thursday confirming much of what the initial post shared.

Word of a non football school launching the sport within the WAC too

Libertine
January 12th, 2021, 07:30 AM
Word of a non football school launching the sport within the WAC too

Ooo, speculation time!

Football doesn't seem like it would be a priority at Seattle or Chicago State. There's been chatter off and on for years about Utah Valley starting up football so I doubt that's it. Grand Canyon could do it if they wanted to but I haven't heard anything that suggests football is on their wish list. On the other hand, Cal Baptist seems highly motivated to expand their sports presence so my money's got to be on them or UT-RGV.

WestCoastAggie
January 12th, 2021, 08:42 AM
Ooo, speculation time!

Football doesn't seem like it would be a priority at Seattle or Chicago State. There's been chatter off and on for years about Utah Valley starting up football so I doubt that's it. Grand Canyon could do it if they wanted to but I haven't heard anything that suggests football is on their wish list. On the other hand, Cal Baptist seems highly motivated to expand their sports presence so my money's got to be on them or UT-RGV.

Rio Grande Valley just published a feasibility study for adding Football by '22-'23.

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Rio Grande Valley just published a feasibility study for adding Football by '22-'23.

Study was produced a few years ago.

The circumstances have certainly changed as it relates to the league.

One would think that with the new WAC, UTRGV will save tremendously on travel with bus trips to half the conference compared to flights everywhere.

Secondly, one would think that the institution would view having football as an even greater marketing opportunity than before to the rest of the state considering UTRGV would now have easier access to games around the state of Texas, which is their prominent area of recruiting the state beyond the RGV.

Also, this represents the first time that UTRGV in at least 20+ years has been in a conference that makes sense for the school (UTPA and the old American South?) and they have an AD who really wants football. The merger has gone well. Enrollment is higher. And the UT system has allowed football and athletic upgrades elsewhere in the state. This could be the opportunity that UTRGV needs...

Chicago State is likely out of the WAC based on media reports and perhaps we will know more on Thursday about the future makeup.

WestCoastAggie
January 12th, 2021, 10:41 AM
Study was produced a few years ago.

The circumstances have certainly changed as it relates to the league.

One would think that with the new WAC, UTRGV will save tremendously on travel with bus trips to half the conference compared to flights everywhere.

Secondly, one would think that the institution would view having football as an even greater marketing opportunity than before to the rest of the state considering UTRGV would now have easier access to games around the state of Texas, which is their prominent area of recruiting the state beyond the RGV.

Also, this represents the first time that UTRGV in at least 20+ years has been in a conference that makes sense for the school (UTPA and the old American South?) and they have an AD who really wants football. The merger has gone well. Enrollment is higher. And the UT system has allowed football and athletic upgrades elsewhere in the state. This could be the opportunity that UTRGV needs...

Chicago State is likely out of the WAC based on media reports and perhaps we will know more on Thursday about the future makeup.

The Summit or Horizon needs to throw Chicago State a lifeline. Otherwise, they'd be better served by going back to D-2 or NAIA.

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2021, 11:37 AM
And now there's this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErjClZ8UcAE9un5?format=jpg&name=medium

nodak651
January 12th, 2021, 11:45 AM
UTRGV could play at HEB Park, perhaps? This was just built ten minutes from campus for soccer.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/edinburgpolitics/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/28120015/H-E-B-Park.jpg

OhioHen
January 12th, 2021, 12:43 PM
The Summit or Horizon needs to throw Chicago State a lifeline. Otherwise, they'd be better served by going back to D-2 or NAIA.

Chicago State would be best served by D-III or NAIA. D-II still requires some level of scholarship commitment to compete.

Daytripper
January 12th, 2021, 02:07 PM
UTRGV could play at HEB Park, perhaps? This was just built ten minutes from campus for soccer.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/edinburgpolitics/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/28120015/H-E-B-Park.jpg

Damn. That's pretty sweet.

Schism55
January 12th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Let's get ready...... to get ready!!

TheKingpin28
January 12th, 2021, 04:17 PM

They can go to the Horizon. The Summit is trying to move West and stabilize. Adding Chicago State defeats both of those purposes.

TheKingpin28
January 12th, 2021, 04:18 PM

For the stadium, is it Championship, League 1 or League 2?

DFW HOYA
January 12th, 2021, 04:47 PM
If I missed this above, my mistake, but has/when will the WAC secure an autobid for the playoffs?

ST_Lawson
January 12th, 2021, 05:07 PM
Chicago State would be best served by D-III or NAIA. D-II still requires some level of scholarship commitment to compete.

Yup...they need to drop down to NAIA and join the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicagoland_Collegiate_Athletic_Conference

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicagoland_Collegiate_Athletic_Conference)Summit doesn't want them back, Horizon isn't going to take them when they already have Chicago "covered" by UIC (and because they've been pretty bad in most sports for quite a while).
Enrollment-wise, competition-wise, and to save money on travel and scholarships...NAIA just makes more sense.

nodak651
January 12th, 2021, 09:53 PM
For the stadium, is it Championship, League 1 or League 2?

Pretty sure its 2

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2021, 10:01 PM
If I missed this above, my mistake, but has/when will the WAC secure an autobid for the playoffs?

A waiver needs to be filed and will likely be granted for 22.
League will be fine for ‘23.

The ‘21 situation is not clear as presumably Southern Utah is not in league for ‘21 to our current knowledge. If they are in fold, it’s probably good for ‘21 too

TheKingpin28
January 12th, 2021, 10:15 PM
Pretty sure its 2That's a damn nice stadium for USL League 2.

chrisattsu
January 12th, 2021, 10:39 PM
That's a damn nice stadium for USL League 2.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkUSL Championship level.(level below MLS)

nodak651
January 12th, 2021, 11:31 PM
That's a damn nice stadium for USL League 2.

USL Championship level.(level below MLS)

Uhhh.. I'm confused. Since I appear to be wrong, I googled it, and holy crap is the US soccer system confusing! Even after reading about it I still don't understand how anything below the MLS works xlolx

slycat
January 13th, 2021, 07:31 AM
Uhhh.. I'm confused. Since I appear to be wrong, I googled it, and holy crap is the US soccer system confusing! Even after reading about it I still don't understand how anything below the MLS works xlolx

It was all restructured a couple of years ago. USL tried to make their set up more understandable. But with US Soccer in multiple leagues it is just confusing.

slycat
January 13th, 2021, 07:36 AM
It has been interesting to following the WAC come full circle with football and how Texas teams joined it as it died as an FBS conference and now Texas teams are reviving it at the FCS level. Maybe this will stabilize the WAC and position the Texas and Utah teams better for eventual shifts in the P5/G5 levels. I am sort of surprised that Southern Utah is leaving the Big Sky but with Dixie St so close by it makes sense to partner with them. Having missed all that lead up to this, I am curious as to why the Big Sky didn't just add Dixie St to get to 12. I assume they don't add the value that the Big Sky is looking for and the Big Sky is probably happy to be at 10 schools over 12.

ST_Lawson
January 13th, 2021, 08:17 AM
Having missed all that lead up to this, I am curious as to why the Big Sky didn't just add Dixie St to get to 12. I assume they don't add the value that the Big Sky is looking for and the Big Sky is probably happy to be at 10 schools over 12.

They're at 13 for football (the 11 full members + affiliates at UC Davis and Cal Poly). Unless they had some good way to split the conference into two divisions, they don't need any more teams.

TexasTerror
January 13th, 2021, 10:08 AM
On subject of football scheduling, here's an example of what SHSU's fans are putting out as it relates to '21

https://twitter.com/KatFansDotCom/status/1349102992881025026

https://twitter.com/KatFansDotCom/status/1349103295013519361

TheKingpin28
January 13th, 2021, 10:21 AM
USL Championship level.(level below MLS)

When he said 2, it implied USL League 2.

TheKingpin28
January 13th, 2021, 10:26 AM

It's all good. American sports will never have Pro-Rel but they should do MLS 1 and MLS 2. Have 18 in each league. You play everyone H-H and after 34 games (not hard to do from March-Oct which is 4-5 games a month) you promote the top 2 in MLS 1 and a playoff for the 3-6 teams in MLS 2 with the winner of that tournament being promoted and the bottom 3 from MLS 1 "relegated" to MLS 2. This way, you ensure MLS teams make their money and do not lose TV revenue, but they wouldn't get the lion's share since they are in MLS 2. The top 8 in MLS 1 play for the post-season championship.

OhioHen
January 13th, 2021, 10:32 AM

With the exception of promotion/relegation (as touched on by Kingpin), it's the same as England. Of course, the system in England continues many more levels down.

Top level - MLS vs. Premier League
2nd tier - USL Championship vs. Championship
3rd tier - USL 1 vs. League 1
4th tier - USL 2 vs. League 2

TheKingpin28
January 13th, 2021, 10:41 AM
With the exception of promotion/relegation (as touched on by Kingpin), it's the same as England. Of course, the system in England continues many more levels down.

I still wish MLS had Pro-Rel. Won't happen but would make the league/games more interesting.

Daytripper
January 13th, 2021, 11:26 AM

Thread drift..

Daytripper
January 13th, 2021, 11:28 AM
On subject of football scheduling, here's an example of what SHSU's fans are putting out as it relates to '21

https://twitter.com/KatFansDotCom/status/1349102992881025026

https://twitter.com/KatFansDotCom/status/1349103295013519361

I like the idea of home and home among the Texas 4.

Laker
January 13th, 2021, 12:32 PM
Pete Thamel@PeteThamel
(https://twitter.com/PeteThamel)
Sources: Four of the schools heading to the WAC will do so in all sports effective July 1 of this year. Those are Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin, which had been slated to go in 2022. Southern Utah is still slated to join in July of 2022 in all sport

Schism55
January 13th, 2021, 12:42 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1349398986797559810

McNeese75
January 13th, 2021, 03:18 PM
I like the idea of home and home among the Texas 4.

then why join the WAC? Just have home and home and home and home seasons. Really cost effective and you would never have to worry about travelling across borders. Makes sense to me xcoffeex

DFW HOYA
January 13th, 2021, 03:49 PM
The MEAC should be watching this very carefully. Should the WAC garner interest from Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M, the SWAC will add NC Central and South Carolina State, putting the MEAC out of business in football.

WestCoastAggie
January 13th, 2021, 04:06 PM
The MEAC should be watching this very carefully. Should the WAC garner interest from Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M, the SWAC will add NC Central and South Carolina State, putting the MEAC out of business in football.

Doubtful. The Big South and A-Sun don’t wanna kill off the MEAC.

ASU33
January 13th, 2021, 04:10 PM

There's nothing to worry about!

OhioHen
January 14th, 2021, 06:33 AM

Why would TSU and PVA&MSU sacrifice traditional rivalries and popular opponents for a group of teams with which they have zero history? Don't see it.

Daytripper
January 14th, 2021, 07:28 AM
then why join the WAC? Just have home and home and home and home seasons. Really cost effective and you would never have to worry about travelling across borders. Makes sense to me xcoffeex

I was just talking about for the immediate future with the transition and COVID related scheduling issues. It wouldn't make sense once the WAC has full membership.

SFA 93
January 14th, 2021, 09:09 AM
https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2 Fd9dca93f701%2Fa60b1b81-f32a-4cbb-bd48-f8baab90c539.png&t=1610636798&ymreqid=16a21d27-7660-bd12-1c88-a00001018800&sig=BGY6psNe9M51Zjux7zqm7w--~D

Membership will be effective July 1, 2021, meaning, we will be in the Southland Conference for the next 6 months.

Our intention was to remain in the Southland Conference until June 30, 2022, but recent decisions by the remaining Southland Board of Directors have caused us to move that timeline up.

We are disappointed in these actions, but also understand and respect the nature of the situation.

The WAC will feature 13 institutions in two divisions: Southwest and West.

Southwest Division will include all the Texas institutions: SFA, Sam Houston, Lamar, ACU, Tarleton and UTRGV

West Division will include all the other institutions: Grand Canyon, New Mexico State, Cal Baptist, Seattle, Utah Valley, Southern Utah and Dixie State (located in St. George, UT)

Note: At this time, Southern Utah is still planning to join on July 1, 2022, and Chicago State will be exiting on June 30, 2022.

The two-division structure would maximize geographic proximity in the Southwest, while minimizing travel in non-football/basketball sports.

A significant part of that strategy is the formation of an FCS football conference
within the WAC that would include 6-9 schools.

Current football playing members will be Lamar University, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Abilene Christian, Southern Utah, Tarleton State, Dixie State

New Mexico State will continue to play at the FBS level as an independent.

UTRGV has provided a letter of intent to begin an FCS program effective preferably with the 2023 season and no later than the 2024 season.

During the initial year of membership football-playing institutions will commit to an analysis of all implications of a move to FBS.

The Conference will seek a 14th member which will sponsor football and will align geographically with the Texas Division.

All members will be committed to consistent web streaming with applicable broadcast standards to maximize ESPN distribution (or other potential providers) of Conference content.

There will be a combined total of 20 Conference sports 10 men's and 10 women's.

The Conference basketball tournaments will be played in Las Vegas.

The basketball tournament field size will be determined based upon the available arena dates and other factors.

All other championship sites and field sizes will be determined by the new membership structure with the expectation for equal divisional geographic distribution and/or rotation.

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2021, 09:26 AM
If you could fully get rid of Chicago St and Seattle, have NMSU drop to FCS (which they should), convince GCU to add football, and add another non football D1 school, that would be icing on the cake.

SFA 93
January 14th, 2021, 09:29 AM
Chicago State will be exiting on June 30, 2022.

katss07
January 14th, 2021, 09:33 AM
UTRGV starting football is big for this conference. Adds another regional opponent for the Texas 4 and should get the FCS league to 8 teams.

Professor
January 14th, 2021, 09:58 AM

Neither of those schools would leave the MEAC for the SWAC

Panther88
January 14th, 2021, 02:23 PM

And neither PVAMU or sTu will leave the SWAC for another conference. Our position is decently solid. Nothing to gain w/ a move. Absolutely nothing.

Daytripper
January 14th, 2021, 02:50 PM
And neither PVAMU or sTu will leave the SWAC for another conference. Our position is decently solid. Nothing to gain w/ a move. Absolutely nothing.

With their location and athletic facilities, I think PVAMU should consider it. It will broaden their profile and reach westward. They will have the recruiting distinction of being an HBCU competing in the playoffs west of the Mississippi River. That is a great selling point and can only help recruiting in that part of the country.. And it would allow them to upgrade competition in the other sports.

ASU33
January 14th, 2021, 02:53 PM
I heard Prairie View has already told the Southland no, Texas Southern is a different story. Not sure if they're leaning one way or the other.

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2021, 04:06 PM
I heard Prairie View has already told the Southland no, Texas Southern is a different story. Not sure if they're leaning one way or the other.

I would have to believe TSU in the OVC would be enticing for the SWAC should Texas Southern leave?

Panther88
January 14th, 2021, 04:48 PM
With their location and athletic facilities, I think PVAMU should consider it. It will broaden their profile and reach westward. They will have the recruiting distinction of being an HBCU competing in the playoffs west of the Mississippi River. That is a great selling point and can only help recruiting in that part of the country.. And it would allow them to upgrade competition in the other sports.

We already have recruiting arms and a fan following out west. One of our larger alumni chapters dwells there and we've held several PVAMU events in Cali.

The last 2X we were in Los Angeles, we played before 55K and 57K+ (2007/2008). PVAMU's interests reside in the SWAC w/ our championship game and The Celebration Bowl. The stars... naturally came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_6MsFpNfX0

The new look SWAC West and SWAC East should pay dividends for our fans and supporters throughout our seasons for years to come as we continue to ascend.

katss07
January 14th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Prairie View isn't ever good enough to make the celebration bowl, so that's kinda irrelevant to the conversation

OhioHen
January 14th, 2021, 06:52 PM

Overtures from the Big South, however, might garner interest.

OhioHen
January 14th, 2021, 06:55 PM

Said it before (more than once) - will say it again.

Neither Prairie View nor Texas Southern is going to give up longtime rivalries and other fan favorite opponents to move to another conference where they have no history. The SWAC isn't losing any teams to other conferences - it's growing because of the appeal to certain institutions.

Panther88
January 15th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Said it before (more than once) - will say it again.

Neither Prairie View nor Texas Southern is going to give up longtime rivalries and other fan favorite opponents to move to another conference where they have no history. The SWAC isn't losing any teams to other conferences - it's growing because of the appeal to certain institutions.

Fact of truth.

Panther88
January 15th, 2021, 11:17 AM
Prairie View isn't ever xlolx good enough to make the Celebration Bowl, so that's kinda irrelevant to the conversation

Bless your evil, insipid heart... xlolx

PVAMU had 3 IC losses fall 2019.

PVAMU lost to SWAC W champ SU by 6.
PVAMU lost to SWAC E champ Alcorn St by 4.
PVAMU lost to SWAC E rep JSU in OT by 3.

You're right, irrelevant. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx PVAMU will never sniff the SWAC W division crown anytime soon after it became much stronger over the last 1.5 years. Where is that retarded smiley?

katss07
January 15th, 2021, 11:23 AM
Bless your evil, insipid heart... xlolx

PVAMU had 3 IC losses fall 2019.

PVAMU lost to SWAC W champ SU by 6.
PVAMU lost to SWAC E champ Alcorn St by 4.
PVAMU lost to SWAC E rep JSU in OT by 3.

You're right, irrelevant. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx PVAMU will never sniff the SWAC W division crown anytime soon after it became much stronger over the last 1.5 years. Where is that retarded smiley?
I'd give a serious reply to you but I'm not sure you could read it.

Daytripper
January 21st, 2021, 11:20 AM
A pretty good article that poses the obvious questions about the new WAC. https://sports.yahoo.com/will-wa-cs-return-in-football-lead-to-a-revival-of-the-glory-days-023123013.html

Schism55
January 21st, 2021, 01:50 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1352339493550960642

bonarae
January 23rd, 2021, 08:33 PM
Confirmed: no full WAC schedule until 2022.

Daytripper
January 23rd, 2021, 09:51 PM
Confirmed: no full WAC schedule until 2022.

It's not a football conference until 2022.

DFW HOYA
January 23rd, 2021, 10:26 PM

Where do they play in the fall of 2021?

ST_Lawson
January 24th, 2021, 12:01 AM
Where do they play in the fall of 2021?

Probably just as "independents". They can probably work out scheduling agreements with some of the other WAC conference members or against Southland teams. The only difference is that they don't count towards Southland conference (or WAC) standings, and won't be eligible for any conference championships. Any that were already eligible for FCS playoffs should have the opportunity to make them as at-large independent teams though. Like, if Sam Houston State rolls through their independent schedule with 1 or 2 losses, they should get a spot in the playoffs as an at-large.

TexasTerror
January 24th, 2021, 07:00 AM

Thats incorrect

The four Texas schools that are incoming plus Tarleton State will play a full schedule under the WAC umbrella in ‘21. Dixie State is trying to do the same (AD said we will know more in next few weeks but they already had a full schedule essentially).

This was all announced this last week. Southern Utah joins in ‘22 and there’s likely no AQ in ‘21. I can see waiver granted in ‘22 but not this coming year.

TexasTerror
January 24th, 2021, 07:02 AM
From the release the other day... though again, Dixie State AD indicated in a tweet that they are wanting to play a full WAC but still have a lot of work to do to enable that due to their scheduling. WAC football in ‘21!

”Football will include full conference play. All other sports that feature a regular season are expected to begin divisional play.”

https://wacsports.com/general/2020-21/releases/20210121f62s76

Daytripper
January 24th, 2021, 03:31 PM
Thats incorrect

The four Texas schools that are incoming plus Tarleton State will play a full schedule under the WAC umbrella in ‘21. Dixie State is trying to do the same (AD said we will know more in next few weeks but they already had a full schedule essentially).

This was all announced this last week. Southern Utah joins in ‘22 and there’s likely no AQ in ‘21. I can see waiver granted in ‘22 but not this coming year.

So, the Texas 4 will play in the Southland this spring and WAC in the fall?

TheRevSFA
January 24th, 2021, 03:53 PM

except for SFA as we played in the fall because doing a spring season and then turning around and doing a fall season is a completely asinine idea.

lionsrking2
January 24th, 2021, 04:08 PM
Texas 2 in football -- just Sam and Mirabeau.

Outsider1
January 24th, 2021, 04:36 PM
Texas 2 in football -- just Sam and Mirabeau.

Yep, both SFA and ACU already played their Fall season.

TexasTerror
January 24th, 2021, 04:53 PM

as others have indicated, yes in the case of Lamar and Sam. SFA and ACU already contested football in fall ‘20.

The question is what does WAC ‘21 look like. Are we playing a solo round Robin of the five schools? A double round Robin? How many of us will get Dixie State on schedule besides the ones who already have them?

lots of scheduling questions to work out in next few weeks since the SLC thing with the early exit caught everyone off guard

lionsrking2
January 24th, 2021, 04:59 PM
as others have indicated, yes in the case of Lamar and Sam. SFA and ACU already contested football in fall ‘20.

The question is what does WAC ‘21 look like. Are we playing a solo round Robin of the five schools? A double round Robin? How many of us will get Dixie State on schedule besides the ones who already have them?

lots of scheduling questions to work out in next few weeks since the SLC thing with the early exit caught everyone off guard

How did it catch anyone off guard? If your wife tells you she's leaving for another dude, are you going to let her stay until they get their new living arrangements in order?

TexasTerror
January 24th, 2021, 05:11 PM
How did it catch anyone off guard? If your wife tells you she's leaving for another dude, are you going to let her stay until they get their new living arrangements in order?

The decision was made the week of WAC announcement. They weren’t planning on ‘21.

It doesn’t seem like the exiting schools were anticipating that decision. The Southern Utah AD apparently said they were more transparent and open with Big Sky about possibility. I would presume especially based off Tom Burnett interview where he said he’s spent three months trying to keep league together that there was some sort of effort, communication.

The departing schools thought negotiations on an exit would go differently and amicable. There’s upset people in SLC as the reasoning during the fall, winter months became real personal. I get it. The proof is in the pudding - look at HBU not having an adequate space for McNeese coaches last night, look at the inability of the remaining schools to do in house broadcasts up to ESPN standards (UNO fans were ripping Nicholls broadcast last night) as is the stated goal of the league so all games can be broadcast nationally. There’s a general gap there, some concerns about future direction and now the league has broken apart.

The opportunity that Burnett spoke of in his most recent interview will be curious... what will come of this expansion opportunity?

Outsider1
January 24th, 2021, 05:13 PM
I think this is what we are starting with. I would think we schedule another OOC game or two. I am not sure if we get a full schedule until 2022 without doubling up a couple of WAC foes. I highly suspect to see at least one DII scheduled. Do we see two DII games? Heck we did an NAIA game the last two years. I really hope we don't do that again but you never know.

9/4 @smu
9/11 @ Southern Utah

TBA Sam Houston
TBA Stephen F Austin
TBA Lamar
TBA Dixie State
TBA Tarleton

Laker
January 24th, 2021, 05:53 PM
I never heard if any of the schools that are leaving had to pay an exit fee.

lionsrking2
January 24th, 2021, 05:55 PM
The decision was made the week of WAC announcement. They weren’t planning on ‘21.

It doesn’t seem like the exiting schools were anticipating that decision. The Southern Utah AD apparently said they were more transparent and open with Big Sky about possibility. I would presume especially based off Tom Burnett interview where he said he’s spent three months trying to keep league together that there was some sort of effort, communication.

The departing schools thought negotiations on an exit would go differently and amicable. There’s upset people in SLC as the reasoning during the fall, winter months became real personal. I get it. The proof is in the pudding - look at HBU not having an adequate space for McNeese coaches last night, look at the inability of the remaining schools to do in house broadcasts up to ESPN standards (UNO fans were ripping Nicholls broadcast last night) as is the stated goal of the league so all games can be broadcast nationally. There’s a general gap there, some concerns about future direction and now the league has broken apart.

The opportunity that Burnett spoke of in his most recent interview will be curious... what will come of this expansion opportunity?

It shows a stunning lack of feel if departing schools thought the exit would be negotiated on their terms. And, for the record, all of our home athletic events are on the ESPN platform.

VandalBasher
January 24th, 2021, 05:56 PM
This is a great development for western football. I hope this inspires a couple of teams from the old Big West conference to bring back football. I hope CWU considers FCS football. How cool would it be to have Seattle University play at Century Link? Or even Memorial Stadium downtown Seattle?

However this ends up, WAC football is back!

TexasTerror
January 24th, 2021, 06:24 PM
I think this is what we are starting with. I would think we schedule another OOC game or two. I am not sure if we get a full schedule until 2022 without doubling up a couple of WAC foes. I highly suspect to see at least one DII scheduled. Do we see two DII games? Heck we did an NAIA game the last two years. I really hope we don't do that again but you never know.

9/4 @smu
9/11 @ Southern Utah

TBA Sam Houston
TBA Stephen F Austin
TBA Lamar
TBA Dixie State
TBA Tarleton

Dixie State is not a given according to their AD and shared in this thread. They had a full schedule that they may not be able to wiggle too far out of. I’m under the impression both the WAC and SLC schools are open to double round robin within their league in ‘21 to bridge this thing to ‘22.

Really football is only sport of concern for scheduling. Others should work themselves out but again, a double round Robin pretty much solves everything minus keeping the rivalries (SFA-NWST, Lamar-McN) intact

It shows a stunning lack of feel if departing schools thought the exit would be negotiated on their terms. And, for the record, all of our home athletic events are on the ESPN platform.

You guys may be it as far as the remaining SLC schools are concerned related to ESPN.

Outsider1
January 24th, 2021, 07:14 PM
I would think round robins may be likely scenarios, but I also know ACU likes to schedule DII schools for home games. It sucks, especially when we play like crap against them...

lionsrking2
January 24th, 2021, 07:25 PM
I never heard if any of the schools that are leaving had to pay an exit fee.

Yes, from what I was told.

OhioHen
January 25th, 2021, 07:13 AM
This is a great development for western football. I hope this inspires a couple of teams from the old Big West conference to bring back football. I hope CWU considers FCS football. How cool would it be to have Seattle University play at Century Link? Or even Memorial Stadium downtown Seattle?

However this ends up, WAC football is back!

What is this "Century Link" you speak of? Real 12s know the stadium name was changed to Lumen Field. Apparently, not all Seattle residents got the memo.

Anthony215
January 25th, 2021, 01:30 PM
I am glad to see the WAC back but their FBS future goals within 10 years seem far fetched. Think about it only Lamar has a stadium that seats over 15k permanently. SFA does have the option to fill the grass to get to 20K but I don't think FBS counts non seats with attendance for meeting eligibility requirements. Another downside is all the stadiums within conference currently have tracks around them except ACU. I can't think of any FBS stadiums with a track surrounding the playing field.

Daytripper
January 25th, 2021, 01:34 PM
I am glad to see the WAC back but their FBS future goals within 10 years seem far fetched. Think about it only Lamar has a stadium that seats over 15k permanently. SFA does have the option to fill the grass to get to 20K but I don't think FBS counts non seats with attendance for meeting eligibility requirements. Another downside is all the stadiums within conference currently have tracks around them except ACU. I can't think of any FBS stadiums with a track surrounding the playing field.

With the continued decline in overall college football attendance, when the P5 bolt I don't think attendance capacity will be a priority as an FBS qualifier. It will be more focused on fan experience. As for the tracks, yes that is an issue.

Professor
January 25th, 2021, 02:09 PM

When did the NCAA start enforcing this 15k rule. It's several schools on the 2019 attendance report that didn't average that

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2019.pdf

Anthony215
January 25th, 2021, 02:56 PM
When did the NCAA start enforcing this 15k rule. It's several schools on the 2019 attendance report that didn't average that

It's over a 2-3 year period they have to average the 15k. So most times once a school is put on probation like quite a few MAC teams have been they'll pretty much give away tickets to boost attendance numbers to stay within the attendance requirement. The clock will probably restart since 2020-2021 seasons will be played with limited fans due to COVID.

VandalBasher
January 25th, 2021, 03:24 PM
What is this "Century Link" you speak of? Real 12s know the stadium name was changed to Lumen Field. Apparently, not all Seattle residents got the memo.

No, I got the memo. I am just slow to change. I still call the Climate Change arena the Coliseum.

But, this is a possibility to bring FCS football to Seattle.

NY Crusader 2010
January 25th, 2021, 03:58 PM

It's NOT enforced for existing FBS members. But you bet the would 100% enforce it if a league like the WAC tried to exploit a loophole to move up.

Pinnum
January 25th, 2021, 03:58 PM
I can't think of any FBS stadiums with a track surrounding the playing field.

Buffalo and Eastern Michigan, I believe are the only ones that remain.

App State took out there track two years ago. Duke took theirs out about five years ago.

And Boise State said they removed their track five or six years ago, but really they just put end-zone seating over top of the track. The stands remain the same distance from the field as they didn't lower the playing surface and expand stadium seating to bring the fans closer.

Boise State Stadium with track and temporary seating in the endzones before renovation to "remove" the track and build permanent end-zone seating.

Before Track Removal
http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/BoiseState/aerial.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/ff/ad/e7ffad5b8c2657d3409767ce9b958b7b.jpg

After Track Removal -- fans no closer to the field
http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/BoiseState/aerial.jpg

http://footballstadiumdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Albertsons-Stadium.jpg

The point being that you can be in FBS with a track. And teams have plenty of time to expand seating. Boise State used temporary seating for years.

NY Crusader 2010
January 25th, 2021, 04:01 PM
It's over a 2-3 year period they have to average the 15k. So most times once a school is put on probation like quite a few MAC teams have been they'll pretty much give away tickets to boost attendance numbers to stay within the attendance requirement. The clock will probably restart since 2020-2021 seasons will be played with limited fans due to COVID.

The MAC as a whole was knocked down from I-A to I-AA in 1983 along with the Southern Conference and the Ivy League, due not having every member meet the 15K requirement. Over the course of 2-3 years, the schools that were slacking did exactly what you stated above to finagle their way to the number. By 1986 I believe it was, the MAC was allowed to move back up to I-A.

In more recent times, I don't think there's been any serious threats to individual schools or conferences getting moved down. Guarantee if you looked up Eastern Michigan or Ball State's LISTED attendance every year since 2000, they maybe had 1 or 2 years where they hit the 15K number over that whole time period.

Idaho was I-A / FBS for almost 25 years and didn't even have a stadium that held 15K, let alone average that attendance figure at any point. And they were never "threatened" to get booted down.

Pinnum
January 25th, 2021, 04:10 PM

They don't have to average it. They have to hit it once every other year.

There are two ways to meet the criteria: (1) actual attendance or (2) paid tickets sold at regular ticket price or above.

So if you're going to have a big game (example: Western Michigan hosting Syracuse) you schedule the game on the odd year when you want to hit the target and you make a push for actual attendance.

Another way they do it is through ticket sales. A lot of schools will do things like "get your TV ad for your business included in our radio and television broadcasts if you pay $X,XXX in sponsorship. But schools that have abysmal attendance will switch it to: Buy 500 season tickets for football and you get the option to purchase a TV/Radio ad for only $xxx. So the companies give out their tickets to their workers or charities and most go unused and then include their advertising as they always do. The companies don't care how the deal is structured as long as it costs them the same amount of money.

Laker
January 25th, 2021, 04:31 PM
Idaho was I-A / FBS for almost 25 years and didn't even have a stadium that held 15K, let alone average that attendance figure at any point. And they were never "threatened" to get booted down.

Remember when Idaho would have "home" games in Pullman nine miles away just to attain that number?

NY Crusader 2010
January 25th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Remember when Idaho would have "home" games in Pullman nine miles away just to attain that number?

Seems to ring a bell. They would play a "home" game against Washington State at WAZZU's stadium in Pullman, right?

NY Crusader 2010
January 25th, 2021, 05:54 PM
They don't have to average it. They have to hit it once every other year.

There are two ways to meet the criteria: (1) actual attendance or (2) paid tickets sold at regular ticket price or above.

So if you're going to have a big game (example: Western Michigan hosting Syracuse) you schedule the game on the odd year when you want to hit the target and you make a push for actual attendance.

Another way they do it is through ticket sales. A lot of schools will do things like "get your TV ad for your business included in our radio and television broadcasts if you pay $X,XXX in sponsorship. But schools that have abysmal attendance will switch it to: Buy 500 season tickets for football and you get the option to purchase a TV/Radio ad for only $xxx. So the companies give out their tickets to their workers or charities and most go unused and then include their advertising as they always do. The companies don't care how the deal is structured as long as it costs them the same amount of money.

I don't think anyone is even having to scramble to do any of the above anymore. I implore anyone to pull the last 20 years of attendance figures for Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Akron and Kent State. I bet their not even close to hitting 15K every third year or whatever it is they need. Maybe once a decade at best.

Laker
January 25th, 2021, 05:57 PM
Seems to ring a bell. They would play a "home" game against Washington State at WAZZU's stadium in Pullman, right?

Actually other games too.

https://wsucougars.com/sports/1999/6/21/207884843.aspx

ST_Lawson
January 26th, 2021, 08:06 AM
NIU does that as well. Every couple of years they'll play a "home game" in Chicago, usually against someone who'll draw a pretty decent crowd, at a place like Soldier Field or the White Sox stadium. The visiting team, which often has a ton of fans in the Chicago area, will show up with 20k-30k fans by themselves, NIU brings their 10k, then NIU gets to count that as "home attendance".

katss07
January 26th, 2021, 08:48 AM
In his "Extra Points" blog this morning, which has been incredibly accurate in terms of breaking news on the WAC and ASUN realignment, Matt Brown said an "Airplane League" is being considered and that the WAC and ASUN could potentially merge for a few seasons to make sure an auto bid is in play for teams as well as to make scheduling easier. Would make sense for both conferences, as it would give them an AQ to the FCS Playoffs until each meets the 6 team threshold. Both also have similar FBS goals in the future.

SFA 93
January 26th, 2021, 08:58 AM
I'm hearing that as well.

Would be a nice football conference for a few seasons.

ABILENE CHRISTIAN
CENTRAL ARKANSAS
DIXIE STATE
EASTERN KENTUCKY
JACKSONVILLE
KENNESAW STATE
LAMAR UNIVERSITY
NORTH ALABAMA
SAM HOUSTON STATE
SOUTHERN UTAH
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE
TARLETON STATE