PDA

View Full Version : Down Year For Coastal?

The Gadfly
June 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I've got a feeling that everyone is under-estimating the Thunderin' Beach Chickens this season. Yes we lost a lot of seniors, but the guys coming up are no spring chickens (pun fully intended).

jmuroller
June 28th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Looking forward to our game this year!!

SuperJon
June 28th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I'm thinking 8-3, maybe 7-4.

Tribe4SF
June 28th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Liberty will win the Big South this year. They will be better than last year's very competitive squad.

zilla
June 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM
We'll be better defensively. Mark it down!

My concern is the O-Line (replacing 4 of 5 starters). That, and grooming a QB to operate our spread offense. I predict that Freshman Jamie Childers should be the starter by the season's end (more mobile, strong arm, & previously experienced in the spread).

The Gadfly
June 29th, 2007, 06:33 AM

My concern is the O-Line (replacing 4 of 5 starters). That, and grooming a QB to operate our spread offense. I predict that Freshman Jamie Childers should be the starter by the season's end (more mobile, strong arm, & previously experienced in the spread).

Agree about everthing you posted. Living and working in Summerville, where Childers went to high school, that's all people talk about when I tell them I went to Coastal, "That kid's gooood." I can't wait to see what he's got. However, he won't have much if he has nobody to protect him.

bluehenbillk
June 29th, 2007, 06:47 AM
With Katie no longer cheering, it could be nothing but a down year.

Grizalltheway
June 29th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Hopefully they'll make the playoffs and maybe earn a trip to Missoula in December. Be sure to bring your heavy coat (you have one, right?) :D xthumbsupx

OL FU
June 29th, 2007, 07:12 AM
I don't know honestly. But most schools have down years when they have a big graduating class. I mean even Montana slips from number two in the country to around 10 every now and thenxrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

Saint3333
June 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM
6-5 maybe 7-4. Too many losses in the offense and depth may be an issue.

The Moody1
June 29th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I only saw your defense play last year against ASU. They have lots of room for improvement. xsmiley_wix

zilla
June 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hopefully they'll make the playoffs and maybe earn a trip to Missoula in December. Be sure to bring your heavy coat (you have one, right?) :D xthumbsupx

Actually, Coastal playing Montana one day would be pretty cool (although I don't know if we'd be ready for you guys this year). I have nothing but respect for Montana's program. I even played a dynasty with the Griz on NCAA Football (moved you guys to the WAC - I know, a touchy subject for some of you).

zilla
June 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I only saw your defense play last year against ASU. They have lots of room for improvement. xsmiley_wix

EXACTLY!

The Gadfly
June 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Sorry, I don't think I do. Don't really need one . . . EVER. xnodx :D

My uncle is a Montana grad and keeps telling me that I need to get up there some day and go trout fishin'. Good luck to the Griz this season.

As for our offense, the only thing I think we're going to have trouble with is the O-line. We still have a VERY solid WR corps and our QBs aren't too shabby. Our running backs . . . still up in the air, but I'm sure we'll rotate like the last couple of seasons. It's that O-line that's giving me the hibby jibbies :( .

rokamortis
June 30th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I think the Oline starters will be fine - these guys played a lot during the season. Depth may be an issue.

QB is the next biggest question mark and it could be either really good or really bad. Worst case is we go back to running the ball 75% of the time.

Our RBs will be fine - we are loaded with fullbacks who can and want to run the ball so we have size. We also have quite a few speedsters to run the ball as RB, this position hasn't been real strong the last couple of years but I see that changing this year.

The defense is still my biggest concern. We do bring back some experience, but that was also a team that couldn't stop the quick players on good teams. Speed is what we lacked and I'm not sure if that can be completely addressed in one season.

CSUBUCDAD
June 30th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I fully expect you guys to be just as tough to beat this year as you have been every year. Bennett is a great coach and you guys have a couple of excellent recruiting classes over the last 2 years so you will be fine. I look forward to the season finally and some serious tailgating with you guys at the Buc.

ATrain
June 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Coastal will definitely be tough this year, but I think this is (finally) the year for Liberty.

The Gadfly
July 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Coastal will definitely be tough this year, but I think this is (finally) the year for Liberty.

I'm glad you guys have high expectations. We need another Big South program to step it up a notch. Are you guys playing Bill & Mary again?

Eaglesrus
July 2nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
I've got a feeling that everyone is under-estimating the Thunderin' Beach Chickens this season. Yes we lost a lot of seniors, but the guys coming up are no spring chickens (pun fully intended).

I'm glad we're catching you guys early. I expect our offense to be much improved, but we loose some key people on defense and will have much less experience there. I'm hoping that will balance out against all your new starters on offense. Should be a good game in any case.

g-webb1994
July 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
8-3. CCU probably starts 2-3, then runs the table after FU exacts their revenge in Greenville.

Liberty has the 'win it for Jerry' rally cry, and a bunch of returnees, but I can see CCU eeking out a W in Lynchburg, and running the table in the Big South. 8-3 probably won't get an at-large berth this time around though with PC, Chowan, and Del State on the Chants schedule.

If CCU will hang 70-80 on Chowan, it will make this Bulldog, and many other Bulldogs happy for obvious reasons!;)

SoccerSmells
July 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Childers went to Wando High, not Summerville dude. And in H.S. he had offers from Newberry, Newberry and Newberry.

Will Richardson will be the man for CCU this year.

MarkCCU
July 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Wando and S'ville are good programs. Wando sends more players to Court than to College but good nonetheless.

Offers from Newberry? I see the competition wasn't too bad.

windwalker
July 2nd, 2007, 08:41 PM

From what I have gathered talking to a few of the players this summer, Richardson will be the starter at the beginning of the season... but I think Childress will get some playing time also.

g-webb1994
July 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Congrats to CCU on the Cliff Ellis hire. With Marshall leaving Winthrop, I fully expect CCU to contend for the Big South title come hoops season....Ellis will pick up where Buzz left off....nice pickup!xthumbsupx

Now back to pigskin....

Lapper
July 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Childers went to Wando High, not Summerville dude. And in H.S. he had offers from Newberry, Newberry and Newberry.

Did he just post the word, "dude"? xeyebrowx

I think Childers is in there for the running with the rest of them. Will is the starter from what I've heard, but what does that really mean? As for Newberry, who won that last contest? That's the whole reason Childers went to prep school first?

already123
July 5th, 2007, 05:12 PM
with depth being an issue at most positions, I would say a generous 7-4

zilla
July 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
The only thing that concerns me with Richardson is his speed. Any QB who operates CCU's offense needs speed. Will has the smarts, arm power, etc. Childers does too, & he can move.

I will retract a previous statement I made on this thread though. I shouldn't have said that Childers will be the starter by season's end. He's only a freshman. But based on what I saw at the Spring Game, He does possess all tools necessary to be the Chants' next great QB.

Who knows?

BDKJMU
July 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I don't see CC beating GSU, Furman, or @ JMU. Plus you've got to play at Del State, who should be pretty good. The rest of your OOC (Winston Salem State, Presbyterian and Chowan (aren't those last 2 DII?) means you'd probably have to go 9-2 on that schedule, which would mean pulling a couple of upsets, including probably one big one, to make the playoffs. And Liberty should be good this year. I know CC lost an unheard of 36 seniors (For most teams the senior class is always the smallest due to attrition and is usually probably less than 1/2 that, maybe 15 a year) I read that CC only has 10 starters back from last yr. I bet CC finishes no better than 7-4, maybe around .500. xcoffeex

zilla
July 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
IMO, Coastal will have overachieved this season if they win eight or more games (considering the loss of 30+ players).

Right now, I'm predicting 7 wins. Obviously, if the newcomers/second-stringers shine, it could be more. On the other hand, a key injury or two could put us around .500.

Should be interesting.

SuperJon
July 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I don't see CC beating GSU, Furman, or @ JMU. Plus you've got to play at Del State, who should be pretty good. The rest of your OOC (Winston Salem State, Presbyterian and Chowan (aren't those last 2 DII?) means you'd probably have to go 9-2 on that schedule, which would mean pulling a couple of upsets, including probably one big one, to make the playoffs. And Liberty should be good this year. I know CC lost an unheard of 36 seniors (For most teams the senior class is always the smallest due to attrition and is usually probably less than 1/2 that, maybe ) 15 a year) From last years team I read that CC only has 10 starters back from last yr. I bet CC finishes no better than 7-4, maybe around .500. xcoffeex

Presby is officially a transitional Division I team. Chowan is DII.

MarkCCU
July 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM
i'm praying for 8 wins this season but I thinki 7 will be more in line.

Presby is coming to the Big South and Chowan is so bad that they've won 5 games since 2003

zilla
July 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM
i'm praying for 8 wins this season but I thinki 7 will be more in line.

Presby is coming to the Big South and Chowan is so bad that they've won 5 games since 2003

Chowan is so bad that they lost to Brevard College last year (a start-up Division 2 team). They might be worse than Mansfield!

MarkCCU
July 6th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Might be? I was at that Mansfield game. Those boys came down here so they could play in the warm sun...AND THAT'S FROM THIER MOUTHS.

SuperJon
July 6th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Mansfield doesn't even have a program anymore.

SoCon48
July 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Chowan is so bad that they lost to Brevard College last year (a start-up Division 2 team). They might be worse than Mansfield!

Absolutely no way!!!

SoCon48
July 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Mansfield doesn't even have a program anymore.

They didn't two years ago either.xlolx xlolx

Lapper
July 6th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Coastal will go undefeated and will only lose in the FCS Championship game to Samford :( .

zilla
July 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Coastal will go undefeated and will only lose in the FCS Championship game to Samford :( .

Those durn Bulldogs are always getting in our way of something! xlolx

seantaylor
July 7th, 2007, 01:08 AM
GSU is going to beat Coastal by about 30

coastalalum
July 7th, 2007, 08:41 AM

in conway? not likely.

g-webb1994
July 7th, 2007, 09:18 AM

xeekx xeekx xeekx

IMO, the spread wouldn't be 30 even in Statesboro this season.

That game should be a good measuring stick for both teams heading into conference play.

jmufootball2
July 7th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Bold Statement. Everyone wants a piece of Coastal this year.

IaaScribe
July 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Of course Coastal is going to be "down" from where it was last year. You don't replace 36 seniors, including the best QB in school history, and make it back to the playoffs and beat the likes of Furman, JMU, etc. I still think Coastal will be in the hunt for the Big South title. They have some pieces and a solid coaching staff and their kids will be ready. But to expect the same results as last year is asking a little too much.

Big South should be a three-team race between Liberty, Gardner-Webb and Coastal. Chuck South and VMI are nine steps below those three.

coastalalum
July 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Of course Coastal is going to be "down" from where it was last year. You don't replace 36 seniors, including the best QB in school history, and make it back to the playoffs and beat the likes of Furman, JMU, etc. I still think Coastal will be in the hunt for the Big South title. They have some pieces and a solid coaching staff and their kids will be ready. But to expect the same results as last year is asking a little too much.

***understatement of the year***

only 160 total passes have been attempted by a qb not named tyler thigpen in the history of ccu football. and almost fully half of those attempts (79) were in 2003 in coastal's first season by current (rs)-sr ren mckinnon.

SuperJon
July 7th, 2007, 11:11 AM
in conway? not likely.

Crazy things happen in Conway at night. Especially in the black uniforms, and I'm almost sure that's what they'll be wearing that night.

zilla
July 7th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Crazy things happen in Conway at night. Especially in the black uniforms, and I'm almost sure that's what they'll be wearing that night.

BLACKOUTS (all black unis) during the night hours at Brooks Stadium bring the Chants good luck. Just ask James Madison & Furman.

You're dead on SJ.

Lapper
July 7th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Wow, that's the same thing JMU and Furman said xcoffeex . Remember, this team has the same amount of experience as the Coastal team that beat the defending champs, but with more talent in my opinion. xnodx

chantster
July 7th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Going into 2007 without a proven QB is gonna make it tough. Not enough snaps for the back ups last year.

I think the defense will be okay, just depends on how long they have to stay on the field.

Hard to replace 4 OL, QB (Thig), kicker, and RB that is the all time leader at CCU in scoring.

With that being said, CCU will not roll over. I see Big South 4peat.

SoCon48
July 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Wow, that's the same thing JMU and Furman said xcoffeex . Remember, this team has the same amount of experience as the Coastal team that beat the defending champs, but with more talent in my opinion. xnodx

JMU was already a "wuz"

Eaglesrus
July 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Serious question; how can that be? lost 30+ seniors, one being Thigpen, I just can't imagine how that's possible.

Coastal89
July 8th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Serious question; how can that be? lost 30+ seniors, one being Thigpen, I just can't imagine how that's possible.

Because this years team has 27 seniors with plenty of playing time.

Eaglesrus
July 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Because this years team has 27 seniors with plenty of playing time.

That seems to fall fairly far short of 36 seniors (the number that 1AAscribe used above) including the quarterback who is practically the only person who has thrown a ball in a game for Coastal since 2003, but okay.

PaladinFan
July 8th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I like what Coastal has done. They got a few years under their belt, played some tough teams at home and won. Looking like they could be a perennial player in the post season.

This year will be tough, though. Furman and James Madison were embarrassed by the Chants. Those are two storied programs that would like nothing more than to hammer CCU back down a few notches.

Playing JMU and Furman on the road will be a whole lot different than night games in Books Stadium in front of your own fans. Especially when you're playing two very good teams with chips on their shoulders.

SoCon48
July 9th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Yep, any SoCon fan can tell you that Furman at home and Furman in Greenville are two entirely diff teams.
My condolences to the Coastals.

OL FU
July 9th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Yep, any SoCon fan can tell you that Furman at home and Furman in Greenville are two entirely diff teams.
My condolences to the Coastals.

And just wait until you play us in Travelers Rest, South Carolinaxnodx xmadx :D

SoCon48
July 9th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I'll have to take your word for it. All I know about Traveler's Rest is a very crooked insurance rep who was run out of NC. If I could just get my hands on him without going to jail.........