PDA

View Full Version : It's Happening?! The A-Sun may be poaching

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2020, 02:37 PM
https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1328419631028170753

Libertine
November 16th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Interesting. That would be a +2 jump in conference NET rating for EKU and Jax St and +4 for CArk.

Schism55
November 16th, 2020, 04:16 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1328450606126813185

Would be interesting for sure

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2020, 04:47 PM
What exactly does Central Arkansas get out of trading a game at Incarnate Word for a trip to Robert Morris?

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5b3513ba5417fce5c520ea09/1557761398900-WHM537WBG8E59YOC1MQS/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kKeIvGrqd2-BUagZxipc1NgUqsxRUqqbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81 S2I8N_N4V1vUb5AoIIIbLZhVYy7Mythp_T-mtop-vrsUOmeInPi9iDjx9w8K4ZfjXt2dpy24jgFXuUCaimzQBKJ2kz boj4J7v7iI8dgl0gc3wZhH3bqxw7fF48mhrq5Ulr0Hg/JoeWaltonStadium3.jpg

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2020, 04:48 PM

Would be interesting for sureI could see them trying to find a way to kick Bob Morris & Monmouth to the curb & going hard after Chatt & ETSU. Thoughts?

The Cats
November 16th, 2020, 05:18 PM

Would be interesting for sure

The ASUN wants football, that's what this is about. They need one more football school, then pull UNA and KSU out of the BS and the ASUN has football. That's 6 football playing schools. It has the look of a good football conference.

A couple of full member Big South schools might just follow KSU and UNA to the ASUN as well.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2020, 05:28 PM
What exactly does Central Arkansas get out of trading a game at Incarnate Word for a trip to Robert Morris?

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5b3513ba5417fce5c520ea09/1557761398900-WHM537WBG8E59YOC1MQS/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kKeIvGrqd2-BUagZxipc1NgUqsxRUqqbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81 S2I8N_N4V1vUb5AoIIIbLZhVYy7Mythp_T-mtop-vrsUOmeInPi9iDjx9w8K4ZfjXt2dpy24jgFXuUCaimzQBKJ2kz boj4J7v7iI8dgl0gc3wZhH3bqxw7fF48mhrq5Ulr0Hg/JoeWaltonStadium3.jpg

because SFA, Sam, ACU and maybe Lamar are leaving the southland for the WAC.

SU DOG
November 16th, 2020, 05:30 PM
You better believe that UTC(and maybe ETSU) is being heavily courted to join. That rectangle(roughly) of JSU to KSU to UTC to UNA would be very attractive. Short trips, a chance of developing great rivalries, and larger public schools that value football - all make sense. This is not new, but maybe can help some to understand the proactive aims of the A-Sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_BR_AMqLA

I have one great fear from this. The SoCon, over the years, could have added some good teams, but looked down their nose at them. Now, judging by some fans' opinions the SoCon's large publics think the conference is dominated by the small privates(lumping the military schools in with them). They are unhappy and fearful that soon the SoCon will be by far and away a basketball conference of small privates with football continuing to be less relevant. Does this theory have any merits? I dunno, and even as an alum of a small private, I certainly hope not. But the thought does scare me.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2020, 06:15 PM
If this A-Sun football conference happens, we can kiss the MEAC goodbye. I would suspect the remaining MEAC squads would get invites from the Big South (NCCU/NSU), NEC (Delaware St/Morgan St), Patriot (Howard), and SoCon (SC State) to fill spots.

I suspect the Southland could also fold football into the A-Sun also if the WAC raids the Texas schools.

Professor
November 16th, 2020, 06:54 PM
This is going to be interesting

The Cats
November 16th, 2020, 07:03 PM
You better believe that UTC(and maybe ETSU) is being heavily courted to join. That rectangle(roughly) of JSU to KSU to UTC to UNA would be very attractive. Short trips, a chance of developing great rivalries, and larger public schools that value football - all make sense. This is not new, but maybe can help some to understand the proactive aims of the A-Sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_BR_AMqLA

I have one great fear from this. The SoCon, over the years, could have added some good teams, but looked down their nose at them. Now, judging by some fans' opinions the SoCon's large publics think the conference is dominated by the small privates(lumping the military schools in with them). They are unhappy and fearful that soon the SoCon will be by far and away a basketball conference of small privates with football continuing to be less relevant. Does this theory have any merits? I dunno, and even as an alum of a small private, I certainly hope not. But the thought does scare me.

I fear Western could end up the lone large public school remaining in the SoCon, if in fact ETSU and UTC are being courted, as well as, the OVC schools.

Mocs123
November 17th, 2020, 07:10 AM
I fear Western could end up the lone large public school remaining in the SoCon, if in fact ETSU and UTC are being courted, as well as, the OVC schools.

You'd still have UNCG!

The Cats
November 17th, 2020, 07:22 AM
You'd still have UNCG!

Since they don't play football, that's not very comforting.

Libertine
November 17th, 2020, 08:01 AM
You better believe that UTC(and maybe ETSU) is being heavily courted to join. That rectangle(roughly) of JSU to KSU to UTC to UNA would be very attractive.

Attractive or not, I very much doubt that UTC or ETSU would seriously entertain the idea of going to the A-Sun right now nor do I believe that the A-Sun would waste their energy on courting them. The A-Sun is, first and foremost, a basketball conference that is hoping to use football to establish their credibility as something other than a pit stop for schools on the way to other conferences. Last year's basketball NET ratings put the SoCon at 13th nationally (highest rated member, ETSU at 36) and the A-Sun at 26th (highest rated member, Liberty at 67). Maybe in the future, assuming their moves pay off, the A-Sun might be in a much more attractive position for current SoCon members but the ETSU and UTC admin would have an internal revolt on their hands if they even joked about going A-Sun at this stage.

Baron Sardonicus
November 17th, 2020, 10:16 AM
The A-Sun is, first and foremost, a basketball conference that is hoping to use football to establish their credibility as something other than a pit stop for schools on the way to other conferences.

From the video that's been posted on this board many times, it seems the plan is for the football schools to split off into the United Athletic Conference. The United will not be the ASun. The United will be the United. Basketball scheduling agreement with the ASun, but still the United.

Mocs123
November 17th, 2020, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure whether this idea is genus or stupid, but it's ambitious that's for sure. If they were to pull this off they would effectively cherry pick two top teams from the OVC and the Big South, as well as one of the top teams in the Southland.

I have no idea if Chattanooga is being courted or if they would even be interested, but SU Dog is right where I could see where a conference with JSU, tUNA, KSU, and EKU could be appealing to Chattanooga. There are some outliers there though (Robert Morris and Monmouth to start) and Liberty would never drop to FCS.

BigBlueMU
November 17th, 2020, 11:38 AM
I could see them trying to find a way to kick Bob Morris & Monmouth to the curb & going hard after Chatt & ETSU. Thoughts?

Wave the exit fee (if any) so Monmouth can go CAA? I'm down for that.

Mocs123
November 17th, 2020, 12:11 PM
To be honest, the CAA makes more sense for Monmouth. The Big South isn't a good geographical fit at all. A long road trip is probably annoying to all members, but every trip is a long road trip for Monmouth.

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2020, 12:36 PM
If this A-Sun football conference happens, we can kiss the MEAC goodbye. I would suspect the remaining MEAC squads would get invites from the Big South (NCCU/NSU), NEC (Delaware St/Morgan St), Patriot (Howard), and SoCon (SC State) to fill spots.

I suspect the Southland could also fold football into the A-Sun also if the WAC raids the Texas schools.

The Florida schools are gone from the MEAC eliminating the major complaint. The Big South isn't the ACC picking off the Big East. If anything the Big South is as unstable as ever.

Baron Sardonicus
November 17th, 2020, 01:00 PM
There are some outliers there though (Robert Morris and Monmouth to start) and Liberty would never drop to FCS.

As Gumbart stated in the video, the ideal membership for the United will be eight "state institutions that play football," "in a tight geography." Are Robert Morris, Monmouth, and Liberty state institutions? No.

And, in this case, "tight geography" means reasonably close to North Alabama and Kennesaw State. In other words, the South.

Mocs123
November 17th, 2020, 01:29 PM
I'm not saying it would (or should) happen, but just because I am having football withdrawal so just for discussion I think these would be 1.) state institutions 2.) play football and 3.) in a tight(ish) geography

1. North Alabama
2. Kennesaw State
3. Jacksonville State
4. Eastern Kentucky
5. Central Arkansas
6. Chattanooga (no invite)
7. East Tennessee State (no invite)
8. Western Carolina? UT Martin? Tennessee Tech? Alabama A&M? Murray St?

WestCoastAggie
November 17th, 2020, 02:01 PM
I'm not saying it would (or should) happen, but just because I am having football withdrawal so just for discussion I think these would be 1.) state institutions 2.) play football and 3.) in a tight(ish) geography

1. North Alabama
2. Kennesaw State
3. Jacksonville State
4. Eastern Kentucky
5. Central Arkansas
6. Chattanooga (no invite)
7. East Tennessee State (no invite)
8. Western Carolina? UT Martin? Tennessee Tech? Alabama A&M? Murray St?

Alabama A&M is a no at this point.

Baron Sardonicus
November 17th, 2020, 02:08 PM
Let's say they are successful in adding their three target schools. They would still need three more to complete the new conference.

If you're the AD at Jacksonville State, Eastern Kentucky, or Central Arkansas, what is your #1 rival? What is the one football playing state school that you would want to bring with you?

EKU05
November 17th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Let's say they are successful in adding their three target schools. They would still need three more to complete the new conference.

If you're the AD at Jacksonville State, Eastern Kentucky, or Central Arkansas, what is your #1 rival? What is the one football playing state school that you would want to bring with you?

From an EKU perspective...

The only other scholarship FCS football school in Kentucky is Murray State, and this move just isn't basketball minded enough for them (even though the ASUN was better than the OVC in the computers last year). I don't think they'll be interested.

We've had a nice series with Western Carolina over the years. I'd be delighted to see them involved.

Baron Sardonicus
November 17th, 2020, 02:18 PM
True Fact: Women's teams at Central Arkansas are known as the Sugar Bears.

Baron Sardonicus
November 17th, 2020, 02:20 PM
The only other scholarship FCS football school in Kentucky is Murray State...

Is this the excuse Morehead State needs to hustle up some money?

Mocs123
November 17th, 2020, 02:24 PM
JSU fans (the ones left after so many jumped off a cliff last year) can elaborate, but their historical rival is Troy, who moved up, as well as tUNA, which is already part of this scenario. I imagine Chattanooga might be near the top of some JSU fans list as well.

Chattanooga fans would probably say ETSU and JSU are the biggest football rivals. We have no real recent history with KSU or UNA but they are obvious potential rivals from a geographical perspective.

ccd494
November 17th, 2020, 02:42 PM
To be honest, the CAA makes more sense for Monmouth. The Big South isn't a good geographical fit at all. A long road trip is probably annoying to all members, but every trip is a long road trip for Monmouth.

The CAA may make sense for Monmouth, but Monmouth doesn't make sense for the CAA.

Mocs123
November 17th, 2020, 02:49 PM
The CAA may make sense for Monmouth, but Monmouth doesn't make sense for the CAA.

Is it the competitiveness of the programs? The location? The academic requirements? To be honest I don't know enough about Monmouth to know what wouldn't fit, but geography wise it seems like they'd fit.

EKU05
November 17th, 2020, 02:53 PM
Is this the excuse Morehead State needs to hustle up some money?

Not a chance. You'd be more likely to see them drop the program altogether.

Baron Sardonicus
November 17th, 2020, 03:01 PM
Not a chance. You'd be more likely to see them drop the program altogether.

I'm sure Austin Peay fans empathize with Morehead's situation. After eight seasons, APSU reinstated scholarships. Curious to know what they did that Morehead cannot do, or is unwilling to do.

Mocs123
November 17th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Even after Austin Peay reinstated scholarships it took some time before they were any good? We played them in ~2014 and they were not a good football team. Will Healey really turned it around and Hudspeth did well there too. I wonder if they can keep up their recent success. They did beat the snot out of a pretty good Furman team this year. I admit that I was shocked at the result.

Baron Sardonicus
November 17th, 2020, 03:18 PM
Side note on Morehead State. I thought their athletic director of 15 years, Brian Hutchinson, was a leader in the PFL. He bailed out less than two years after Morehead's new president took over. After interviewing for the athletic director position at Idaho State, Hutchinson took a job at D-II Lincoln Memorial. He certainly ran out in a hurry.

mvfcfan
November 20th, 2020, 11:26 AM
I understand JSU wanting to go ASUN more than I understand EKU wanting to go; but even at that I think it is a bizarre move by both schools if the source is correct. Maybe I've drank too much of the OVC cool-aid but I don't think it is a bad conference so I find it odd that several schools seem to want out so badly.

JSU probably has Samford envy and is probably upset that UNA didn't get the invite a while back. EKU fans just like to complain no matter what and think they should be FBS even though they are average at best most years. Murray State wants to be MVC. A lot of TSU fans want them to join the SWAC which makes sense even if the SWAC is the bottom of the barrel.

WestCoastAggie
November 20th, 2020, 12:17 PM
I understand JSU wanting to go ASUN more than I understand EKU wanting to go; but even at that I think it is a bizarre move by both schools if the source is correct. Maybe I've drank too much of the OVC cool-aid but I don't think it is a bad conference so I find it odd that several schools seem to want out so badly.

JSU probably has Samford envy and is probably upset that UNA didn't get the invite a while back. EKU fans just like to complain no matter what and think they should be FBS even though they are average at best most years. Murray State wants to be MVC. A lot of TSU fans want them to join the SWAC which makes sense even if the SWAC is the bottom of the barrel.

There doesn't seem to be much that is keeping the OVC together right now, aside from the potential $500K - $750K price tag for leaving the conference.

Sir William
November 20th, 2020, 12:49 PM
There doesn't seem to be much that is keeping the OVC together right now...

...except for the fact that no current member has officially left the OVC yet.

If JSU and EKU leave to join the ASun/BSouth, two things:
1) The OVC would not fall apart. Still has 7 football playing schools. Neither the SWAC nor the MVFC have offered invites to any OVC schools; it’s all speculation. Verdict: OVC survives.
2) The Big South would overnight become a truly formidable football conference with the addition of those 2 programs, plus UCA. So much in fact that GWebb, Chuck South and Campbell would be hard-pressed to be consistently competitive. And just in case anyone speculates, none of those last three (with the slight and remote possible exception of Campbell) would ever be given serious consideration for membership in the SoCon.

mvfcfan
November 20th, 2020, 01:12 PM
The OVC does have 4 shares of NCAA tournament revenue from Murray State and Belmont both making the tournament in 2019 and winning a game each.

Captain
November 20th, 2020, 06:08 PM
I have information that the OVC is going to look to replace EKU and JSU with two football schools. They are actively recruiting. I have no clue which schools they are interested in. If they can’t find football replacements, the OVC could also be interested in joining with the Atlantic Sun to form a mega conference. One thing is certain, the FCS landscape is going to dramatically change in the next couple of years. COVID-19 is forcing schools to rethink how they are doing business.

Mocs123
November 20th, 2020, 06:19 PM
To be honest there probably needs to be some realignment in both FCS and G5 to help travel keep costs in check. Travel costs for the non revenue sports have to be crazy.

WestCoastAggie
November 20th, 2020, 06:43 PM
I have information that the OVC is going to look to replace EKU and JSU with two football schools. They are actively recruiting. I have no clue which schools they are interested in. If they can’t find football replacements, the OVC could also be interested in joining with the Atlantic Sun to form a mega conference. One thing is certain, the FCS landscape is going to dramatically change in the next couple of years. COVID-19 is forcing schools to rethink how they are doing business.

WIU and who else would look to join?

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2020, 06:52 PM
I have information that the OVC is going to look to replace EKU and JSU with two football schools. They are actively recruiting. I have no clue which schools they are interested in.

Morehead State is available.

mvfcfan
November 20th, 2020, 09:47 PM
WIU is the obvious one for sure. EIU is an in state rival; and SIUE and SEMO are pretty close for their other sports. The OVC without Alabama is a lot better for them travel wise over North Dakota and Denver.

Youngstown State could be a wild card if they are interested in having football in an all-sports conference. YSU was an outlier in the Gateway before the Dakota schools came along.

I'd also add that if the OVC went the Lipscomb route they might be able to lure my team (Indiana State) in as a football-only member (probably a long shot but who knows). There's not a chance we would give up the MVC for basketball, but football could be a different story. Our facilities are more on par with the OVC and travel wise the OVC without JSU would be much better for us.

dgtw
November 21st, 2020, 07:38 AM

I’m not the AD at Jax State but I will give the perspective of a fan.

I don’t see anyone in the OVC as a big rival that gets everyone excited. No game where everyone is on edge because it is Team X week. EKU seems to care the most about football but there isn’t any bad blood between the two.

That could change if that happens. UNA was a big rival back in the day. I grew up in Florence and it was certainly big from their perspective. The schools are about 3.5 hours apart and being able to claim a “state title” is always a big deal.

Chattanooga and Kennesaw are both about two hours from Jacksonville. The Chattanooga games the last decade have been tough, including a playoff game. We have only played Kennesaw once and it went into quintuple overtime. We have a large alumni presence in Atlanta and Chattanooga so that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgtw
November 21st, 2020, 07:53 AM
Losing JSU and EKU would help the OVC. They get rid of a huge geographical outlier in Jax State. Looking at the Wikipedia map, EKU is a bit out there although they still have Morehead further out for Olympic sports.

Getting WIU would be good for them. They would have seven football members so you have three home/away games every year. It gives them ten for Olympics so you have an 18 game basketball schedule and play everyone twice, giving you a true regular season champ. And WIU is right in the middle of the footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
November 23rd, 2020, 08:59 AM
...Getting WIU would be good for them. They would have seven football members so you have three home/away games every year. It gives them ten for Olympics so you have an 18 game basketball schedule and play everyone twice, giving you a true regular season champ. And WIU is right in the middle of the footprint.

I don't disagree that the OVC is a possible landing spot for WIU, although I wouldn't really say we're in the middle of the footprint. Here's the map of the OVC minus JSU and EKU, and plus WIU (the purple one in the top left corner): https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=11hvBrcvyoH7_8oEpHejap_K5xKG5FA2v&usp=sharing

From our perspective, what we'd be able to drive to:
Currently in the MVFC - ISUb, ISUr, SIU, MSU, UNI (all are under 5 1/2 hours away)
Football in the OVC - EIU, SEMO, and it's hard to say for the string of KY/TN schools (6 hours to UT-Martin and Murray State, 6:45 to Austin Peay, 7:15 to TN State)

Currently in the Summit (non-football sports) - UMKC and Omaha
Non-football in the OVC - EIU, SEMO, SIU-E, same situation as above for the KY/TN schools

So, the OVC is a bit worse travel-wise for football (especially if we have to fly to KY/TN), but better for all our other sports. I would definitely miss getting to go to football games at Illinois State and Northern Iowa, although hopefully some occasional OOC games can be worked out with them.

Personally, I'm torn, but if it's a choice between us going to the OVC or having to drop to DII, I'd rather go to the OVC.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2020, 11:56 AM
I don't disagree that the OVC is a possible landing spot for WIU, although I wouldn't really say we're in the middle of the footprint. Here's the map of the OVC minus JSU and EKU, and plus WIU (the purple one in the top left corner): https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=11hvBrcvyoH7_8oEpHejap_K5xKG5FA2v&usp=sharing

From our perspective, what we'd be able to drive to:
Currently in the MVFC - ISUb, ISUr, SIU, MSU, UNI (all are under 5 1/2 hours away)
Football in the OVC - EIU, SEMO, and it's hard to say for the string of KY/TN schools (6 hours to UT-Martin and Murray State, 6:45 to Austin Peay, 7:15 to TN State)

Currently in the Summit (non-football sports) - UMKC and Omaha
Non-football in the OVC - EIU, SEMO, SIU-E, same situation as above for the KY/TN schools

So, the OVC is a bit worse travel-wise for football (especially if we have to fly to KY/TN), but better for all our other sports. I would definitely miss getting to go to football games at Illinois State and Northern Iowa, although hopefully some occasional OOC games can be worked out with them.

Personally, I'm torn, but if it's a choice between us going to the OVC or having to drop to DII, I'd rather go to the OVC.It would suck losing a founding member but if/when Northern Colorado gets The Summit full invite, I cant see WIU sticking around. I can see it being a gentleman's agreement where we wint force you to leave but you wont be allowed to stay. Every school would finally have a travel partner except WIU and their budget cant be sustained with that travel.

Denver/UNC
GFCC-NDSU
NDSU-UST
NDSU-SDSU
UST-SDSU
SDSU-USeD
USED-UNO
UNO-UMKC
UMKC-Oral Roberts

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

BEAR
November 23rd, 2020, 12:13 PM
UCA travelled to Florida, Alabama, and Georgia when we were part of the Gulf South Conference in division II. Joining a conference similar to that probably wouldn’t be that big of a deal but I enjoy visiting Texas and Louisiana for the culture and the food! xlolx

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2020, 03:43 PM
UCA travelled to Florida, Alabama, and Georgia when we were part of the Gulf South Conference in division II. Joining a conference similar to that probably wouldn’t be that big of a deal but I enjoy visiting Texas and Louisiana for the culture and the food! xlolx

If this goes down, hopefully we can schedule some non-conference home and homes. If the Texas4 goes to the WAC, I am surely gonna miss the McNeese games in Lake Charles.

FormerPokeCenter
November 23rd, 2020, 03:52 PM

I know right? They lose easy access to CVS pharmacy....doesn't seem like an upgrade.

FormerPokeCenter
November 23rd, 2020, 03:58 PM
If this goes down, hopefully we can schedule some non-conference home and homes. If the Texas4 goes to the WAC, I am surely gonna miss the McNeese games in Lake Charles.

Well, maybe we'll latch on with The SWAC....

OR....maybe we'll bow up and try to go Conference USA...

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2020, 03:58 PM
I know right? They lose easy access to CVS pharmacy....doesn't seem like an upgrade.

The CVS is HBU, not UIW.

FormerPokeCenter
November 23rd, 2020, 04:00 PM
The CVS is HBU, not UIW.

Correct, but the OP had the half stadium pic and - well - the only place that has any relevance for is HBU.....I figured he was just confused....
UIW's really no worse than Strawberry Stadium in Hammond.

lionsrking2
November 23rd, 2020, 04:01 PM

Prior to joining the Southland, and bringing back football, we were in old version of the A-Sun when it was called the TAAC. Back then it was SLU, UCF, FIU, FAU, Georgia State, Stetson, Mercer, Campbell, College of Charleston, Samford, Jacksonville State (for a bit), and Centenary. Good baseball league, decent basketball, but no football.

Before that, in the 70's, we were in the old GSC, consisting of SLU, Nicholls, North Alabama, Jacksonville State, Troy, West Alabama, Delta State, UT-Martin. If the Texas schools bolt for the WAC, I'm all in favor of heading back to the A-Sun and rekindling some old rivalries. Probably a better fit for us anyway.

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2020, 04:09 PM
Prior to joining the Southland, and bringing back football, we were in old version of the A-Sun when it was called the TAAC. Back then it was SLU, UCF, FIU, FAU, Georgia State, Stetson, Mercer, Campbell, College of Charleston, Samford, Jacksonville State (for a bit), and Centenary. Good baseball league, decent basketball, but no football.

Before that, in the 70's, we were in the old GSC, consisting of SLU, Nicholls, North Alabama, Jacksonville State, Troy, West Alabama, Delta State, UT-Martin. If the Texas schools bolt for the WAC, I'm all in favor of heading back to the A-Sun and rekindling some old rivalries. Probably a better fit for us anyway.

Yeah, it seems like the Southland has kind of run its course. I think everybody will find a landing spot, except maybe HBU and UIW.

mvfcfan
November 23rd, 2020, 06:40 PM
Maybe HBU and UIW will get to go to the Summit League. I heard they will take anybody, except Augustana apparently.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2020, 06:47 PM
Maybe HBU and UIW will get to go to the Summit League. I heard they will take anybody, except Augustana apparently.We have standards. That's why we took St Thomas instead of Auggie. Maybe they can go to that one-bid MVC conference. (Waiting for Clenz to lose his **** over this).

OhioHen
November 24th, 2020, 06:29 AM

But there IS a Walgreen's even closer to Joe Walton Stadium than the closest CVS to Gayle and Tom Benson Stadium.

The CVS is HBU, not UIW.

And nearly as close at the CVS by Husky Stadium.

Cocky
November 29th, 2020, 07:14 AM

Would say more pissed about TUNA not getting in than Samford envy. Never heard a JSU person envious of Samford. Samford is in the SOCON which has about the same travel as the OVC. It would force Samford to play us and we would get UTC every year. The new conference would give us Kennesaw and TUNA. Both, lose what has became a good conference team in AP but EKU would stay. Does not appear to be a big winner in any direction all have pluses and minuses.

Give me TUNA, UTC, Kennesaw, and Mercer every year OOC and I would be happy to stay in the OVC. Or a mix of these teams. This would give us games against the regions best FCS teams.

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2020, 07:24 AM
We have standards. That's why we took St Thomas instead of Auggie. Maybe they can go to that one-bid MVC conference. (Waiting for Clenz to lose his **** over this).

The 5 public schools in the MVC need to realize it's not 2005 anymore and find a new league. Playing in a one bid league with private schools that hate football is just mind boggling. They basically told Murray State who actually has fans they couldn't come because they have (scholarship) football, so we added Valpo who doesn't have many fans and plays in a H.S. gym instead.

Mocs123
November 30th, 2020, 09:56 AM
Would say more pissed about TUNA not getting in than Samford envy. Never heard a JSU person envious of Samford. Samford is in the SOCON which has about the same travel as the OVC. It would force Samford to play us and we would get UTC every year. The new conference would give us Kennesaw and TUNA. Both, lose what has became a good conference team in AP but EKU would stay. Does not appear to be a big winner in any direction all have pluses and minuses.

Give me TUNA, UTC, Kennesaw, and Mercer every year OOC and I would be happy to stay in the OVC. Or a mix of these teams. This would give us games against the regions best FCS teams.

I'm sure a lot of Chattanooga fans would love to be in a conference with JSU, KSU, UNA, especially if ETSU were to come, as it would be a lot of close rivalries with teams that have good fanbases and travel well. I mean as good as Wofford has been in both football and basketball the past few years, I doubt most people in the Chattanooga area have even heard of them. They're such a small private without a ton of alumni in the area. I'm not saying UTC should (or would) leave the SoCon as there are a lot of details that would need to be ironed out, and we have to think about sports other then football (SoCon BB has been pretty good the past few years), but If I'm our AD, I'm at least hearing the A-Sun out if they reach out to the Mocs.

The Mocs currently have UNA on the schedule (we were supposed to play in 2020) but don't have JSU on the schedule in any out years to my knowledge nor do we have KSU. I'd also love to see JSU and KSU on the Mocs schedule at least every couple of years. I think many Moc fans would say JSU is our biggest rival in football.

NY Crusader 2010
November 30th, 2020, 10:19 AM
The 5 public schools in the MVC need to realize it's not 2005 anymore and find a new league. Playing in a one bid league with private schools that hate football is just mind boggling. They basically told Murray State who actually has fans they couldn't come because they have (scholarship) football, so we added Valpo who doesn't have many fans and plays in a H.S. gym instead.

Not sure where the 5 public schools are going to go but I agree something needs to be done to fortify what was once the class of mid-major conferences. One school I would look into inviting would be New Mexico State. I also don't think it's a private/public issue as much as it is the need to strengthen Men's Basketball. The football conference is fine. The Valley got lucky with Loyola, who was showing no signs of becoming a top mid-major until all of a sudden they had their Final Four season. I don't think they're turning into Gonzaga long-term.

St. Thomas, who will be actively looking to move up the D-I latter, will hopefully be a good hoops fit in 5-10 years but the league needs to make a bold move now. Murray State would have been a strong choice. NDSU & SDSU wouldn't be bad options but it sounds like due to politics it's either "take all 4 Dakota schools or take none" which is a non-starter.

mvfcfan
December 1st, 2020, 03:16 PM
New Mexico State actually used to be in the MVC. They were the second best team in our league when we went 33-1 in 1979. We beat them in OT in Las Cruces after we hit a half court shot at the buzzer. NMST also received an at large bid that season.

gophoenix
December 1st, 2020, 08:59 PM
I could see Furman and/or Howard being attractive to the CAA and vice versa if any of this really happened.

NY Crusader 2010
December 2nd, 2020, 08:09 AM
Furman and The Citadel were actually slated to join the CAA in 2001 or 2002. And then Richmond leaving the league for the A-10 was the catalyst for that move never taking place. The CAA then took a more northern approach, bringing in Hofstra, Towson, Delaware and Northeastern in from the America East Conference.

Sir William
December 2nd, 2020, 10:46 AM
Furman and The Citadel were actually slated to join the CAA in 2001 or 2002. And then Richmond leaving the league for the A-10 was the catalyst for that move never taking place. The CAA then took a more northern approach, bringing in Hofstra, Towson, Delaware and Northeastern in from the America East Conference.

Neither Furman nor the Citadel were slated (or even entertained) to leave the SoCon in 2001 or 2002, or anytime in that proximity. SoCon was extremely strong back then (App, GaSo, FU, Woff, etc).

Can’t say whether or not they would entertain a move to CAA now if invited, but yours truly wouldn’t be opposed.

NY Crusader 2010
December 2nd, 2020, 01:05 PM
Neither Furman nor the Citadel were slated (or even entertained) to leave the SoCon in 2001 or 2002, or anytime in that proximity. SoCon was extremely strong back then (App, GaSo, FU, Woff, etc).

Can’t say whether or not they would entertain a move to CAA now if invited, but yours truly wouldn’t be opposed.

Trust me -- it was happening. I believe Davidson was involved as well (not for football). But everything went up in flames the moment Richmond left the CAA.

Sir William
December 2nd, 2020, 01:38 PM
Trust me -- it was happening. I believe Davidson was involved as well (not for football). But everything went up in flames the moment Richmond left the CAA.

Nope, not then.

solohawks
December 2nd, 2020, 06:20 PM

There was going to be a merger of the remaining 7 CAA teams after American and ECU left and the SoCon schools. Once Richmond left, everything fell apart and the CAA scrambled to get American East schools

gophoenix
December 3rd, 2020, 06:10 PM

Yes, but it was more than Davidson and The Citadel but Furman was always rumored and never firmly declared. I remember App saying that they were in that too, but no one every offered proof to that. In 2000, there were A-10 talks with Elon and Liberty for football only before the Big South stated things up.

Libertine
December 3rd, 2020, 11:55 PM
In 2000, there were A-10 talks with Elon and Liberty for football only before the Big South stated things up.

I can say with confidence that there were zero talks with Liberty about going to the A-10 because the organizational structure to even have those talks didn't exist for LU at the time. The new coach that year, Ken Karcher, thought LU could earn a path into the SoCon but that just wasn't going to happen.