PDA

View Full Version : ECU 's Hudgins going to Elon

phyrbirdphan
August 18th, 2005, 02:11 PM
http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2005/08/18/081805RMTHudgins.html

Hudgins going to Elon

By Jeff Gluck, Rocky Mount Telegram

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Former Rocky Mount quarterback Terrell Hudgins has decided to play college football at Elon University, he said in a telephone interview Wednesday night.

Hudgins, the state's high school athlete of the year, originally committed to East Carolina, but left the team Aug. 11 after just one week of practice, citing concerns over playing time at quarterback.

Elon, a Division I-AA school, quickly jumped in the mix to pick up Hudgins. Coaches there had already recruited Hudgins over the winter before the record-setting quarterback picked ECU.

"They're ready to get me in and learn the playbook," Hudgins said. "Hopefully I'll get on the field and be part of their winning season. They're anxious to get me there."

Hudgins said Elon has already started practicing and has a scrimmage Saturday. He plans to report Friday, but doesn't anticipate playing in the scrimmage.

Among other things, Hudgins said he liked the school's campus, coaches and academics.

"It's a good school," he said. "Hopefully it'll help me get a job (after graduation)."

After shocking ECU's coaches by leaving the team, Hudgins said he received support from his family and friends.

"Everybody was understanding," he said. "They thought it was a good choice ... they were real happy I left."

Hudgins said he also wanted to clarify a fact about his exit from ECU. He said he didn't quit the team, but rather, "I had to do what I had to do."

The Elon roster currently lists five quarterbacks, with Hudgins becoming the sixth. However, all of the quarterbacks are either freshmen or sophomores.

Sophomore starter Kye Hamilton has the most experience of the quarterbacks. Last season, he became the first Phoenix quarterback to throw for more than 1,000 yards since 1993. Hamilton also threw for nine touchdowns.

Hudgins' final high school campaign at Rocky Mount included 1,687 yards and 22 touchdown passes.

Jeff Gluck can be reached at 407-9951 or [email protected]

elonphan
August 18th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Is anyone familar with him and what kind of arm he has?

Mr. C
August 18th, 2005, 09:32 PM
What year is he? Has he sat out a redshirt season? If he is an underclassman, I could see him sitting out this season and then backing up Kye Hamilton in 2006, with the chance to become the starter in 2007. You don't really think he's going to beat out the coach's son do you? I heard at the SoCon rouser that Hamilton the player had put on about 20 pounds of muscle by working hard in the off-season, so he should be more durable this year and could have more arm strength.

elonphan
August 18th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Hudgins is a true freshman. I hope you are correct about Hamilton's arm strength improving.

Thumper250
August 19th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Why would you transfer to a school where the head coach's son is the starting quarterback? I don't care how good this kid is, he isn't starting until the younger Ham graduates.

Thump