PDA

View Full Version : Top QB Prospect Trey Lance Declaring for 2021 NFL Draft

Professor
October 6th, 2020, 04:54 PM
North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance is declaring for the 2021 NFL Draft, the QB told Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel. (https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-top-qb-prospect-trey-lance-declares-for-2021-nfl-draft-212608951.html)
In choosing to prepare for the upcoming draft, Lance will not be participating in the Bison's upcoming spring season.
While Lance has played only one full college season in 2019, he went 16-0, dominating FCS by posting a 28:0 touchdown-to-interception ratio, while also rushing for 1,100 yards and 14 touchdowns. He is viewed as a potential top-5 NFL draft pick.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/10/06/trey-lance-2021-nfl-draft-declare

BisonTru
October 6th, 2020, 04:56 PM
This is a mistake. He needs more time in college. Best of luck to him tho.

Schism55
October 6th, 2020, 04:56 PM
https://www.theringer.com/2020/10/6/21504103/trey-lance-north-dakota-state-draft-qb-prospect

The Ringer with a nice piece on Trey today...

Gil Dobie
October 6th, 2020, 05:02 PM
Best of luck to Trey!

smallcollegefbfan
October 6th, 2020, 05:04 PM
This is one of those early entries that you can attribute completely to the media. If not for the media being bored in the off-season and deciding to hype him because of his stats then I think he waits. I thought he would be ready for sure after his junior year but I hope this is not too early. I saw enough weaknesses in his game against UCA that I think he should wait in that regard but someone would likely take him in round 1 now.

POD Knows
October 6th, 2020, 05:53 PM
I saw 5 or 6 College QB's on TV this week alone that are better than he is at this point in his career, good luck to him, he will need it. Good kid, I hope it is the right decision and I am sure that there are people in the know that are helping this along.

TheRevSFA
October 6th, 2020, 06:10 PM
Unless he sits and learns from a QB for a few seasons he wk
be a bust.

POD Knows
October 6th, 2020, 06:25 PM
be a bust.Yea, well, a first round pick is expected to be field ready. Hope he knows that, no way he is going first round in the spring. We will see.

Bisonator
October 6th, 2020, 06:28 PM
Good luck to Trey. It was pretty much a no brainer decision. Is he ready? No certainly not but you get a first round grade you aren't turning that down to risk another season in college. Heard there is a pretty good team that is pretty high on him to sit for a year or 2 behind a pretty good QB if he's still there when they pick.

dewey
October 6th, 2020, 06:29 PM
Good luck to Trey Lance going forward if the reports are true. I think he is a top 15 to 20 pick. Carson Wentz looked like a much more polished throwing QB in college but Trey is more athletic...IMHO.

Go Bison!

Dewey

SUPharmacist
October 6th, 2020, 06:38 PM
No idea what I would do in his situation. Hard to turn down the money you think you can get, and sticking around to try and develop you risk injury and other QBs emerging to challenge your draft position.

That said with so many FBS schools playing close to a full season in the Fall I wonder if it would have made sense to wait and see if he is still considered by some a top 3 QB after these other programs get more games. Now that NDSU played do they get less practice time or do they get to keep practicing more hours than schools that elected not to play?

Bisonator
October 6th, 2020, 06:57 PM
No idea what I would do in his situation. Hard to turn down the money you think you can get, and sticking around to try and develop you risk injury and other QBs emerging to challenge your draft position.

That said with so many FBS schools playing close to a full season in the Fall I wonder if it would have made sense to wait and see if he is still considered by some a top 3 QB after these other programs get more games. Now that NDSU played do they get less practice time or do they get to keep practicing more hours than schools that elected not to play?
They're done until spring now.

BEAR
October 6th, 2020, 06:58 PM
Saw where two espn personalities were conflicted about him after watching him play. Guess it’s up to the big boys now! Good luck to him and any FCS players!

Bisonoline
October 6th, 2020, 06:59 PM
be a bust.

He need to mature. If they expect him to come in and be a franchise player from jump street hes doomed.

POD Knows
October 6th, 2020, 07:02 PM
He need to mature. If they expect him to come in and be a franchise player from jump street hes doomed.Well, excuse me if I am wrong, but isn't that is what is expected from a round one pick. Who would pay first round money on a project? I don't really get this entire thing, I think it is media hype over rationality. I like the kid but, well, there it is.

Hammersmith
October 6th, 2020, 08:30 PM
Saw where two espn personalities were conflicted about him after watching him play. Guess it’s up to the big boys now! Good luck to him and any FCS players!

I saw that article and was curious, but it was mostly hot air to fill space. McShay has Trey in a close contest for the #2 QB pick, while Kiper has Trey solidly in the 3 spot. Not exactly a huge difference between the two. It's not like one was saying he was clearly the #2 and the other was saying he was #5 or something.

Lorne_Malvo
October 6th, 2020, 09:51 PM
In the right program he will be good after sitting for a year.
In a bad program he is toast.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2020, 05:05 AM
Good luck to Trey. Hopefully, he goes to a team where he can sit an learn. No kid would turn down potential 1st round money.

Mocs123
October 7th, 2020, 06:25 AM
He really needed some more time in college, but on the other hand the rest of the FCS is relieved to see him go.

If he really ends up being a round 1 pick - that money would be hard to turn down.

Daytripper
October 7th, 2020, 06:27 AM
With his athleticism, he will blow up the combine. That will solidify his first round grade.

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2020, 06:56 AM
I think the unteachables of his arm talent and athleticism makes a lot of scouts and evaluators forget about his shortcomings like accuracy, reading the whole field, and lack of experience. I would've loved to see him stick around another year but it's impossible to fault him for leaving. It'll be fun to see how he does in all the pre-draft workouts and where he ends up.

NDSU should make a statue of QB coach Randy Hedberg at this point.

dewey
October 7th, 2020, 07:20 AM
NDSU should make a statue of QB coach Randy Hedberg at this point.

Coach Hedberg and Jim Kramer.

Dewey

centennial
October 7th, 2020, 08:14 AM
This is one of those early entries that you can attribute completely to the media. If not for the media being bored in the off-season and deciding to hype him because of his stats then I think he waits. I thought he would be ready for sure after his junior year but I hope this is not too early. I saw enough weaknesses in his game against UCA that I think he should wait in that regard but someone would likely take him in round 1 now.

This is exactly my take. His arm and running are great but he just needs more time. He threw a bomb to Christian Watson, and I thought many NFL QB's cannot make that throw look easy. He is just 20 years old. That said if you get a 1st round grade, you take it. That is life altering money. It actually might be to his benefit. If he can fall to later first round, then he can sit 1.5-2 years behind a vet and play against the scout team.

POD Knows
October 7th, 2020, 08:33 AM
I think the unteachables of his arm talent and athleticism makes a lot of scouts and evaluators forget about his shortcomings like accuracy, reading the whole field, and lack of experience. I would've loved to see him stick around another year but it's impossible to fault him for leaving. It'll be fun to see how he does in all the pre-draft workouts and where he ends up.

NDSU should make a statue of QB coach Randy Hedberg at this point.Yea, I agree, this kind of QB penetration from an FCS school to the NFL is unheard of.

Libertine
October 7th, 2020, 09:00 AM
That said if you get a 1st round grade, you take it. That is life altering money.

IF you get taken in the 1st round. Regardless of talent, getting drafted in the 1st round as a QB is almost more about supply and demand. There are only 32 teams and, in any given year, you can count the number of them who are specifically interested in a first-round QB on one hand. As we sit here today, the list of teams who are definitely going to take a 1st round QB in the 2021 NFL draft is just two: Chicago and Washington. Depending on how the season plays out, maybe you can add the Jets to that list but that's probably the end of the list. It's possible that Pittsburgh with an aging starter, no obvious replacement waiting in the wings and no glaring roster holes takes him and sits on him for a couple seasons like Green Bay is doing with Jordan Love but there's no certainly no reason to expect it.

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2020, 09:38 AM
IF you get taken in the 1st round. Regardless of talent, getting drafted in the 1st round as a QB is almost more about supply and demand. There are only 32 teams and, in any given year, you can count the number of them who are specifically interested in a first-round QB on one hand. As we sit here today, the list of teams who are definitely going to take a 1st round QB in the 2021 NFL draft is just two: Chicago and Washington. Depending on how the season plays out, maybe you can add the Jets to that list but that's probably the end of the list. It's possible that Pittsburgh with an aging starter, no obvious replacement waiting in the wings and no glaring roster holes takes him and sits on him for a couple seasons like Green Bay is doing with Jordan Love but there's no certainly no reason to expect it.
I think the list of teams interested in a potential franchise QB is bigger than that. I'd say there's relatively few teams that need a plug and play guy like Chicago does. But there's teams that are in ok shape at QB but need a long-term solution like New England, Oakland, Minnesota, and Carolina. Then there's a lot of old QBs out there that teams will need to start looking to the future on in places like Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay. Then there's teams on the fence like the New York Jets, Cleveland, Denver, Jacksonville, and Washington where they could have guys that play themselves into or out of the franchise QB discussion by the end of the season.

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2020, 10:54 AM
Good for him and he showed he can lead a comeback against a good team, but he really needs another year to play. I wish they would do the draft similar to the NHL, where rights are drafted and they can stay in college/juniors and go from there. If they expect him to be a Day 1 starter, there will be some question marks, but you would be a fool to turn down Round 1 money.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

BisonTru
October 7th, 2020, 11:03 AM

There is ALWAYS a demand for first round quarterbacks, and almost always a deficit in supply.

Mocs123
October 7th, 2020, 12:01 PM
There is ALWAYS a demand for first round quarterbacks, and almost always a deficit in supply.

But because there is more demand than supply for first round quarterbacks, I think there are more QB's taken in round 1 then there are real first round quality QB's. The problem is that if a QB is taken in the first round he is expected to be a starter on day 1 even if they are not ready.

Gil Dobie
October 7th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Besides first round money, if Trey doesn't declare now, he would have to play 2 more football seasons before he could be drafted, Spring 2021 and Fall 2021. The NFL QB situation could change dramatically or Lance could get injured by the 2022 draft.

dewey
October 7th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Besides first round money, if Trey doesn't declare now, he would have to play 2 more football seasons before he could be drafted, Spring 2021 and Fall 2021. The NFL QB situation could change dramatically or Lance could get injured by the 2022 draft.

Absolutely right. Apparently Trey mentioned that in an interview about possibly playing close to 30 games between the spring and fall of 2021.

Ridiculous to have college athletes play that many games in a year but the NCAA is all about the money.

Dewey

Hammerhead
October 7th, 2020, 01:33 PM
How much would his draft stock go up if he kept playing FCS competition?

As for maturity, the dude was a redshirt freshman and and led the team to a perfect record when there were lots of questions with a new head coach, new coordinator, and a redshirt freshman QB who only saw a little mop-up duty in the few games he could play in without burning his redshirt.

BisonTru
October 7th, 2020, 01:40 PM
But because there is more demand than supply for first round quarterbacks, I think there are more QB's taken in round 1 then there are real first round quality QB's. The problem is that if a QB is taken in the first round he is expected to be a starter on day 1 even if they are not ready.

There's no doubt that quarterbacks get bumped up the draft board. But this myth that not only you but a majority of posters here are posting, that a round 1 quarterback has to start day 1 is flat out false. Hell, look at last years crop. Tua is still on the bench in Miami. Love is certainly going to be on the bench in GB, and Herbert is only starting after the team doctor stabbed their starter in the lung.

Teams can be patient and invest a round 1 pick, and they will (to a point), and I think most everyone understands Trey could use a bit of time. However, my issue here, is that you can only learn so much from watching. He had an opportunity to play a lot of football at NDSU and hone his skills. There is no way in my mind he can make the same progression sitting on the bench in the NFL. Now if he's playing that's different, but I think we all agree it's not for long if you aren't playing well.

Trey's best move for his advancement of a quarterback would have been to waited. However, from a financial standpoint that's a lot of money to pass on while earning nothing more than a scholarship. And there's no guarantee of career ending injury not happening.

BisonTru
October 7th, 2020, 01:50 PM
How much would his draft stock go up if he kept playing FCS competition?

As for maturity, the dude was a redshirt freshman and and led the team to a perfect record when there were lots of questions with a new head coach, new coordinator, and a redshirt freshman QB who only saw a little mop-up duty in the few games he could play in without burning his redshirt.

Top pick last year got 36 million. I think many are thinking he's a mid first which is about 14 million. If he fell to second round mid pick got 7 million. I think Carson proved the NFL will invest the highest picks despite FCS competition. There's an argument to be made he could improve to solid top1-2 pick, but there's also a risk of your draft stock falling.

I agree on the maturity side. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. No issues there from my angle.

Hammerhead
October 7th, 2020, 03:44 PM
All of those people who think Carson is a bust (I don't know if you can say he is or isn't just yet) will say you should never pick an FCS QB at the top of the draft. Even if Trey was 58-0 as a starter with 5 rings on his fingers, he'll still have the stigma of playing against "JV" competition.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2020, 05:10 PM
IMO, Trey will separate himself from Fields for the #2 QB during the combine and his pro day.

BisonTru
October 7th, 2020, 05:32 PM
All of those people who think Carson is a bust (I don't know if you can say he is or isn't just yet) will say you should never pick an FCS QB at the top of the draft. Even if Trey was 58-0 as a starter with 5 rings on his fingers, he'll still have the stigma of playing against "JV" competition.

Those internet talking heads don't make the decisions.

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Absolutely right. Apparently Trey mentioned that in an interview about possibly playing close to 30 games between the spring and fall of 2021.

Ridiculous to have college athletes play that many games in a year but the NCAA is all about the money.

Dewey
I don't think money is the motivating factor there. If they were all about money no one in the FCS would even be messing around with a spring season since everyone, the NCAA included, is going to lose money on it. I think they're trying to do the right thing by giving the athletes, the seniors especially, the opportunity to have a season in their final year of college. I'd have to imagine there's a good chunk of seniors who won't be back next fall because they'll be getting on with their lives.