PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Player Facing Serious Charges

Go Green
September 30th, 2020, 05:34 AM
Yikes.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2911243-georgetown-football-player-dijon-williams-arrested-on-murder-charge

Daytripper
September 30th, 2020, 06:21 AM
"Serious Charges" is a serious understatement.

Anthony215
September 30th, 2020, 07:20 AM
Wow that's insane hopefully he isn't guilty of the crimes he's accused of.

Panther88
September 30th, 2020, 10:02 AM
If he murdered or participated in the murder of N. Thomas, I sincerely hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent the law prescribes. Murder is a senseless act; self-defense is not.

I'm curious to know the background (character/morality) of the charged guy. Does G'town have entrance criteria which attempts to not only measure academic prowess but also probable character/morality/criminal history? Or does it simply look for ball players who can "run/block/tackle" on the field of play?

Go Green
September 30th, 2020, 03:55 PM
I'm curious to know the background (character/morality) of the charged guy. Does G'town have entrance criteria which attempts to not only measure academic prowess but also probable character/morality/criminal history? Or does it simply look for ball players who can "run/block/tackle" on the field of play?

I'm reasonably confident that if a football player has significant problems with the law, then he's not coming to Georgetown (or a lot of other places).

Basketball may be a different story. Georgetown was the only school to offer Allen Iverson after his conviction from a brawl. In Georgetown's defense, the conviction was later overturned. And to Iverson's credit, it's not my impression he had any criminal issues thereafter...

And Georgetown isn't the first school to have a player charged with murder. UNH had such a case a while back... While I'm sure both schools inquired into the players' respective character, the process isn't foolproof.

Anthony215
October 1st, 2020, 07:10 AM
I'm reasonably confident that if a football player has significant problems with the law, then he's not coming to Georgetown (or a lot of other places).

Basketball may be a different story. Georgetown was the only school to offer Allen Iverson after his conviction from a brawl. In Georgetown's defense, the conviction was later overturned. And to Iverson's credit, it's not my impression he had any criminal issues thereafter...

And Georgetown isn't the first school to have a player charged with murder. UNH had such a case a while back... While I'm sure both schools inquired into the players' respective character, the process isn't foolproof.

That brawl was an injustice to Allen, while he was there and may have participated in some fashion he wasn't the aggressor or initiated the confrontation. I'm certain if he had a attempted murder or murder charge he would have never stepped foot on Georgetown or any D1's program court.

Libertine
October 1st, 2020, 08:45 AM
Or does it simply look for ball players who can "run/block/tackle" on the field of play?

No offense to our resident G'town fan but, if that's all they look for then they've been doing a very poor job of it.

That brawl was an injustice to Allen, while he was there and may have participated in some fashion he wasn't the aggressor or initiated the confrontation. I'm certain if he had a attempted murder or murder charge he would have never stepped foot on Georgetown or any D1's program court.

It's also worth noting that Iverson was the ONLY person even charged in the brawl, let alone convicted. At the time, a lot of locals felt that the trial was less about a prosecutable crime and more about the rivalry between Bethel HS and Hampton HS.

Redbird 4th & short
October 4th, 2020, 03:28 PM
There's s very good special on the Iverson conviction. I am not an Iverson fan by any means, but the conviction was totally wrong and may have been largely the reason his attitude was what it was. He got completely screwed ... kudos to John Thompson for having the courage to offer him when noone else would. Theres a special out there that tells the story ... Iverson was in the bowling alley where the fight broke out with some friends and was video taped leaving. It was a sham prosecution.