PDA

View Full Version : Colgate Just Got Better This Fall

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 07:17 AM
DeWayne Long, WR, was granted (http://athletics.colgate.edu/football/release.asp?id=3867) a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA today.

http://athletics.colgate.edu/Football/images/Loong.JPG

This means big things for an offense that was going to have to fill two starting WR positions. DeWayne, a transfer from Nebraska, was 1st team all PL last season. He should be a force this year! :hurray:

Pard94
August 18th, 2005, 07:58 AM
DeWayne Long, WR, was granted (http://athletics.colgate.edu/football/release.asp?id=3867) a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA today.

http://athletics.colgate.edu/Football/images/Loong.JPG

This means big things for an offense that was going to have to fill two starting WR positions. DeWayne, a transfer from Nebraska, was 1st team all PL last season. He should be a force this year! :hurray:

Typical Colgate student taking 6 years to graduate!

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Typical Colgate student taking 6 years to graduate!

Now now, just because he scored one of the three touchdowns in the win over the pards last year and you're concerned that Larry Johnson and/or Tye Murphy still won't be able to contain our receivers (I mean, you did give up 318 yards in the air last year), shouldn't be a reason to disparage a fine student athlete like DeWayne. ;);):cool::p

In all seriousness, I do believe he is graduating in the fall so it's really 5 1/2 years, and the extra time is all because of the Nebraska transfer and what counted here at Colgate. If anything, you should be proud that a fellow PL school is making a kid earn his degree! :nod:

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2005, 08:42 AM
All of the rest of the PL should be put on notice that Long is going to be back. He's a great receiver for our level, and he will give us all fits. He almost singlehandedly killed us last year.

But c'mon, 6 years of eligibility? That's ridiculous! How did that come about again? 2 medical redshirt years, or was one of the years blown on a transfer?

If Long gets 6 years, how could Eric Rath and Jamaal Branch, two backs who took a year off from college, only get 3 years of eligibility?

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 08:50 AM
All of the rest of the PL should be put on notice that Long is going to be back. He's a great receiver for our level, and he will give us all fits. He almost singlehandedly killed us last year.

But c'mon, 6 years of eligibility? That's ridiculous! How did that come about again? 2 medical redshirt years, or was one of the years blown on a transfer?

If Long gets 6 years, how could Eric Rath and Jamaal Branch, two backs who took a year off from college, only get 3 years of eligibility?

How did the Heisman winning QB from Oklahoma get a 6th year? It all has to do with medical hardship. Branch and Rath (I believe) didn't have medical issues to deal with...

Tribe4SF
August 18th, 2005, 08:52 AM

LFN,

You should know this one! Freshman year redshirt and miss a season because of injury leads to six years. Tribe will likely have one next year in Steven Cason, who missed 2003 after a broken neck in a car wreck.

If you choose to take a year off, the clock keeps running.

89Hen
August 18th, 2005, 08:58 AM
So the PL won't take 5th year transfers but they'll apply for a 6th year of eligibility for a transfer? :confused:

GannonFan
August 18th, 2005, 09:00 AM
So the PL won't take 5th year transfers but they'll apply for a 6th year of eligibility for a transfer? :confused:

Imagine the uproar we'll hear from our Patriot friends if UD's Boler gets a 6th year medical waiver to play next year - we'll have to keep this example in mind I guess.

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 09:10 AM

It may seem like splitting hairs, but they are really not related. 5th year transfers are not what is against the rules but rather grad school transfers. Shawn Johnson couldn't play for Fordham even though it was a I-A to I-AA move because it was into grad school. Since all PL schools do not have grad programs, the league prevents that.

Sixth years are due soley to medical hardships reasons, and I don't see how that is against PL standards, so it should be supported.

GannonFan
August 18th, 2005, 09:14 AM
It may seem like splitting hairs, but they are really not related. 5th year transfers are not what is against the rules but rather grad school transfers. Shawn Johnson couldn't play for Fordham even though it was a I-A to I-AA move because it was into grad school. Since all PL schools do not have grad programs, the league prevents that.

Sixth years are due soley to medical hardships reasons, and I don't see how that is against PL standards, so it should be supported.

I assume part of his prodding at the PL is due to the feeling by some PL supporters on this board that college football should be the exclusive domain of undergraduate students and that grad students should be barred from playing (transfer or not) - any chance this guy stops taking classes so that he doesn't offend those of that mindset? ;)

buckp
August 18th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Will this move Colgate up on the preseason polls?

......and how much? :eek: ;)

Fordham
August 18th, 2005, 09:29 AM
just posted this on the FU board after seeing it here, gate. That's a great gift you guys got. Was he practicing with the team since camp opened or is he only going to suit up now that they have the approval?

And, buckp, the big question isnt' how good this guy is, it's whether or not there will be anyone to throw it to him. If Saraceno or someone else steps up, the O will be good, which when combined with a strong D, will definitely put them in the thick of things (or the "thicker" of things, since they were already in the clump that could compete for the title).

89Hen
August 18th, 2005, 09:30 AM
5th year transfers are not what is against the rules but rather grad school transfers... Since all PL schools do not have grad programs, the league prevents that.

So again, let me get this straight. 6th year is OK because he's too stupid to graduate in less than FIVE AND A HALF years, but Shawn Johnson who graduated in 4 (I think with honors too) can't? I thought the PL prided itself on academics. :p

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I assume part of his prodding at the PL is due to the feeling by some PL supporters on this board that college football should be the exclusive domain of undergraduate students and that grad students should be barred from playing (transfer or not) - any chance this guy stops taking classes so that he doesn't offend those of that mindset? ;)

No chance. He's still an undergrad and needs to go to class for a semester to get his sheepskin. I've also met him and he has a great head on his shoulders. I expect him to succeed in life much like he has on the field.

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Will this move Colgate up on the preseason polls?

......and how much? :eek: ;)

No - as Fordham pointed out, we still need to prove that someone can throw it to him. Maybe if you had Colgate at 30-35, you can think of them as 25-30, but that's a stretch until we see how the guy under center pans out.

(But... just so you can say you heard it hear first: Word is Saraceno throws the best ball Colgate's seen in the 10 years the staff has been here. That's not saying much, as both Vena and Brown were not known for their rifle arms - but still, he's apparently got a lot of talent. We just need to see how he puts it all together on the field. If he works out, he's got two years of eligiblity. Sweet!)

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 09:37 AM
So again, let me get this straight. 6th year is OK because he's too stupid to graduate in less than FIVE AND A HALF years, but Shawn Johnson who graduated in 4 (I think with honors too) can't? I thought the PL prided itself on academics. :p

ha ha ha ha... :rolleyes:

It actually has to do with Nebraska's academics not transferring well to Colgate and him transfering as a second semester sophomore even though he went to school for 3 years... :)

BTW, I would have opened the doors wide for Mr. Johnson if the PL allowed it. We've got a small MAT program. It's darn Lafayette, Bucknell and HC (I think) that don't have grad programs, but I could be wrong!

LBPop
August 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Hey, I heard that this additional eligibility expires November 18th...is that so? ;)

But seriously, folks--I remember listening to the webcast of the Colgate vs. Georgetown game. Despite the score, the Hoya defense seemed to be playing tough early (like most games). I remember hearing about a receiver making several difficult catches to extend drives and score a TD, I believe. It sounded like he really broke Georgetown's back. Was that Long?

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Hey, I heard that this additional eligibility expires November 18th...is that so? ;)

But seriously, folks--I remember listening to the webcast of the Colgate vs. Georgetown game. Despite the score, the Hoya defense seemed to be playing tough early (like most games). I remember hearing about a receiver making several difficult catches to extend drives and score a TD, I believe. It sounded like he really broke Georgetown's back. Was that Long?

oh yes it was... He did something like this:

https://my.colgate.edu/images/news/long%20vs.%20georgetown%2004.jpg

DeWayne was a great second threat with teams, rightly so, focused on Luke Graham. I think he'll take to the #1 role very nicely.

Seriously though on my part, G'Town just needed an offense that game and it could have been competitive. Sounds like the story of the entire season, but that is how I saw it.

Pard94
August 18th, 2005, 10:36 AM
just posted this on the FU board after seeing it here, gate. That's a great gift you guys got. Was he practicing with the team since camp opened or is he only going to suit up now that they have the approval?

And, buckp, the big question isnt' how good this guy is, it's whether or not there will be anyone to throw it to him. If Saraceno or someone else steps up, the O will be good, which when combined with a strong D, will definitely put them in the thick of things (or the "thicker" of things, since they were already in the clump that could compete for the title).

Given that Colgate has no QB maybe they could run the old Fubmblerooski to him. Center "fumbles" the ball at the snap...this guy runs in and picks it up and runs for a few yards. Or maybe just direct snap to him.

Fordham
August 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM
ah, nice Nebraska tie-in there Pard.

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Given that Colgate has no QB maybe they could run the old Fubmblerooski to him. Center "fumbles" the ball at the snap...this guy runs in and picks it up and runs for a few yards. Or maybe just direct snap to him.

Very funny and somewhat coincidental: in 2003, his first Colgate game at G'Town, he caught the game winning pass from another wide receiver who got the direct snap - with six seconds left in the game.

Also interesting to note that in high school he was a running back...

ngineer
August 18th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Did Long redshirt at Nebraska? if so, how does that translate when transfering to the PL where standard redshirting is not allowed, except for the medical waiver?

colgate13
August 18th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Did Long redshirt at Nebraska? if so, how does that translate when transfering to the PL where standard redshirting is not allowed, except for the medical waiver?

Yes, his freshman year at Nebraska was a red shirt. I don't know how the PL handled that during a transfer issue, but they have to approve the sixth year request in order for the NCAA to, so they must have been fine with it.

ngineer
August 18th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Well....as Ronald Reagan used to say...I guess the PL just got a little tighter--which should put a smile on everyone's faces ;) Especially if you solve the QB situation. If not, won't matter that much.

Ken_Z
August 19th, 2005, 06:23 AM
We've got a small MAT program. It's darn Lafayette, Bucknell and HC (I think) that don't have grad programs, but I could be wrong!

and you are :) Bucknell has a small graduate program as well and a number of medical redshirts have been eligible for their fifth year by enrolling in the graduate program.

Lafayette came close to getting burned bad in hoops when Ciosic was on schedule to graduate, but lost a season due to injury. as i recall, he ended up going undergrad for a fifth year by participating some special double major program that permitted the extra time to complete for graduation, but i could be wrong on the details!

colgate13
August 19th, 2005, 07:07 AM
So it's down to LC and HC? Does anyone know if either has a grad program that I am unawares of? Thanks for the correction Ken!

Pard94
August 19th, 2005, 08:03 AM
So it's down to LC and HC? Does anyone know if either has a grad program that I am unawares of? Thanks for the correction Ken!

Unless things have changed drastically, Lafayette has not post graduate program of any sort or size.

Andy
August 19th, 2005, 09:25 AM
If Long gets 6 years, how could Eric Rath and Jamaal Branch, two backs who took a year off from college, only get 3 years of eligibility?[/QUOTE]

Since Branch was off campus during his year away from football he didn't lose any eligibility and played four years. I assume Rath will come back next year as well, as long as he was not taking classes while away from football.

colgate13
August 19th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Since Branch was off campus during his year away from football he didn't lose any eligibility and played four years. I assume Rath will come back next year as well, as long as he was not taking classes while away from football.[/QUOTE]

True. Branch took five years to play four seasons, which is pretty standard. Not sure what Rath has done.

ngineer
August 19th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Since Branch was off campus during his year away from football he didn't lose any eligibility and played four years. I assume Rath will come back next year as well, as long as he was not taking classes while away from football.

True. Branch took five years to play four seasons, which is pretty standard. Not sure what Rath has done.[/QUOTE]

Rath could come back next year if he chooses to structure is academic schedule to do it. Haven't heard what his intent is.

Pantherpower
August 20th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Ken Z,

One of my highlights of the year was watching your Bison take down the mighty Jayhawks of Kansas supported by the UNI Pep Band. It was like a funeral procession watching the Kansas fans file out. :D

Ken_Z
August 20th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Ken Z,

One of my highlights of the year was watching your Bison take down the mighty Jayhawks of Kansas supported by the UNI Pep Band. It was like a funeral procession watching the Kansas fans file out. :D

how's that for a coincidence, it was one of the highlights of my year as well even though i couldn't be there in person. a shame neither of our teams could take out Wisconsin. both should be very good again this year, maybe we'll see you in the bracket buster.