PDA

View Full Version : SI Photos: Cheerleaders Then and Now

chantster
June 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Neat photos of Cheerleaders from different eras compared to now.

The Ole Miss "then" pic seems a little disturbing to me. But, I guess that was a sign of the times.

Check it out:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.cheer.thenandnow/content.1.html

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2007, 08:08 AM
My HS alma mater used the 'stars and bars' for our Rebel mascot until the late 1990s...

People are still fighting over our name of 'Rebel'...but they're clueless. The 'new' Rebel is not about the Confederacy, it's a "Rowdy Rebel" and more of a Yosemite Sam like individual than anything...

Grizalltheway
June 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I think they should have used USC cheerleaders for all of them. xeekx :o

Eyes of Old Main
June 24th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I thake the Ole Miss pic with a grain of salt. That was how things were then, and thankfully they aren't that way now.

I have no problem with displaying Southern heritage or pride, but that way is no longer acceptable since the Confederate flag has been hijacked by hate groups.

Confederate flag on cheerleaders = bad; Confederate flag on Memorials = OK.

MplsBison
June 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM
The confederate flag represents the fact that, at one time, all it took to justify slavery to people in those states was that the color of their skin had to be dark.

dgreco
June 24th, 2007, 09:25 AM
the usc and auburn cheerleaders still look pretty much the same. Kentucky girls were gross are gross and those uni's are gross :D

DFW HOYA
June 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM
A lot of these photos compare outdoor photos to indoor ones, so there's bound to be some change in clothing--dance unis don't hold up as well outside in November.

The USC Song Girls attire has been largely unchanged since the 1960's, but they're still at or near the top of the list.

JohnStOnge
June 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM

The Ole Miss "then" pic seems a little disturbing to me. But, I guess that was a sign of the times.

Check it out:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.cheer.thenandnow/content.1.html

It's the Ole Miss Rebels, for Pete's sake. Nothing to be disturbed about.

OL FU
June 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Not disturbing. It was the times and fortunately those times are gone for some of us

Mountain Panther
June 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Iowa State's cheerleaders have not changed one bit over the years....

http://www.dennisflood.com/2003/animals/leeds-athens-cows-103.jpg

poly51
June 24th, 2007, 11:57 AM
USC has always had the best looking cheerleaders.

EmeryZach
June 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I thought the Indiana one was more disturbing

chantster
June 24th, 2007, 06:26 PM
It's the Ole Miss Rebels, for Pete's sake. Nothing to be disturbed about.

Yes, I'm aware Ole Miss is called the Rebels. Miss State is called the Bulldogs and I don't see their cheerleaders wearing a leash and a collar.

App State is called the Mountaineers and I don't see their cheerleaders wearing plaid shirts with suspenders and dunagarees and old boots. smoking a corn cob pipe.

It's not the flag, look at the total ensemble.

They are wearing confederate issue gray uniform tops, complete with the markings and colors, and the stiff, stand up collar.

Then you look down and they are wearing really short pleated skirts, which I didn't think was the fashion in the early sixties. Completes this hideous garb with white boots.

Dang unis look like they were designed by some sick dude.

To top it off, Ole Miss colors are Cardinal and Blue. No gray.

RobsPics
June 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
someone got owned...woops bad pun

OB55
June 24th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Whoo-Hooo! I got to date the hottest cheer dear at our school because she had a thing for our untouchable wide receiver dude, and I looked kind of like him, only much bigger and he flicked her off. Her buns were so tight, you could crack an egg on 'em, and after three dates she used me up and discarded me like soiled underwear.

Oh hell, it was worth it, and I am still proud of it. Offensive guard gets hot chick for a very short period of time. :)

God I love America!! xthumbsupx:):D

andy7171
June 25th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Oh hell, it was worth it, and I am still proud of it. Offensive guard gets hot chick for a very short period of time. :)
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Just because it was for a short time, doesn't mean it doesn't count!

MplsBison
June 25th, 2007, 08:55 AM
someone got owned

IN THE CONTEXT OF A SLAVERY THREAD!

Wow.

You probably feel safe in Portland, though. Just watch out for the Mexicans.

Ivytalk
June 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'd forgotten that they ever played outdoor football at Syracuse!xcoolx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Maybe I'm just old, but those 1975 USC cheerleaders to me are xeekx when the modern one is xrolleyesx

http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.cheer.thenandnow/images/USC_done.jpg
LEFT:
Actually watching the game. Concerned about the score. Farrah Fawcett hair. xeekx xeekx xeekx

RIGHT:
Where's the camera? Oh, there it is! I'm ready for my close-up now, Mr. Moonves!

chantster
June 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Whoo-Hooo! I got to date the hottest cheer dear at our school because she had a thing for our untouchable wide receiver dude, and I looked kind of like him, only much bigger and he flicked her off. Her buns were so tight, you could crack an egg on 'em, and after three dates she used me up and discarded me like soiled underwear.

God I love America!! xthumbsupx:):D

and I, wanna spread the news
That if it feels this good getting used
Oh, you just keep on using me
Until you use me up
- Bill Withers, Use me

IowaBisonToo
June 25th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Nebraska -- she could 'husk' my corn cob any day.

USC -- hard to beat the modern (at least this girl) and classic 'then'.

Kentucky -- love the 'now' photo and not because of the sweater or skirt.

LSU 'now' -- pretty damn hot!!!

Indiana -- wish I were the hand in the 'now'.

Ok St -- the 'then' brings me back. Our high school dance line had very similar unis and were the same color. Loved the "big hair!"

NE MT GRIZZ
June 25th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I think they should have used USC cheerleaders for all of them. xeekx :o

Didn't you see the shot on the Kentucky girl.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
June 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I like CCU cheerleaders. Speaking of which, I'm surprised she didn't show up in this thread.

andy7171
June 25th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I like CCU cheerleaders. Speaking of which, I'm surprised she didn't show up in this thread.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

NE MT GRIZZ
June 25th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Come on Coastal fans, lets see an action shot of CCUCheer

laxVik
June 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Sorry, they ain't got nothing on the Oregon cheerleaders. Wowsie...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0609/gallery.cfb.cheerleaders.pg/content.1.html

Mountain Panther
June 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Sorry, they ain't got nothing on the Oregon cheerleaders. Wowsie...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0609/gallery.cfb.cheerleaders.pg/content.1.html

It's all about the big "O"

Must have been windy that day.

Fresno St. Alum
June 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I like now better. USC always has the hottest cheerleaders

appsfan
June 25th, 2007, 09:26 PM
It looks like SI is comparing cheerleader uniforms to dance squad unis in a couple pictures. I also recall seeing the SC cheerleaders in unis very similar to the "classic" one shown from the 70's.xthumbsupx

CCUCheer
June 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
hahaha this thread is great!
I remember looking at my mom's old yearbooks and seeing how the cheerleaders used to dress... long pleated skirts, sweaters, and high ankle socks... Gotta luv it lol.

GeauxLions94
June 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Nebraska -- she could 'husk' my corn cob any day.

USC -- hard to beat the modern (at least this girl) and classic 'then'.

Kentucky -- love the 'now' photo and not because of the sweater or skirt.

LSU 'now' -- pretty damn hot!!!

Indiana -- wish I were the hand in the 'now'.

Ok St -- the 'then' brings me back. Our high school dance line had very similar unis and were the same color. Loved the "big hair!"

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

As for Oklahoma State ... when was Barry Sanders ever a cheerboy???

chantster
June 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Here ya go. xthumbsupx

Can you pick out Katie? :D

http://www.coastal.edu/alumni/gallery/1970sslideshow/images/1970-61%20cheerleaders.jpg

CCU Cheerleaders circa early 70's.

CCUCheer
June 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Here ya go. xthumbsupx

Can you pick out Katie? :D

http://www.coastal.edu/alumni/gallery/1970sslideshow/images/1970-61%20cheerleaders.jpg

CCU Cheerleaders circa early 70's.

OMG lol... that is awful! Imagine if we still dressed like that today xsmiley_wix

spelunker64
June 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Three Cheers for Wool!

RobsPics
June 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM
IN THE CONTEXT OF A SLAVERY THREAD!

Wow.

You probably feel safe in Portland, though. Just watch out for the Mexicans.

Interesting that you automatically assume I am referring to you.

If the shoe fits....

BULLDOG8180
June 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Check it out:

It was 1962.

When I played at The Citadel (late 70's) our fight song was DIXIE, and the cadets waved the conferate flag when the band played it. About half of my teammates were African-American- they sang DIXIE along with everyone else. Nobody made a big deal out it- nobody took offense to it.
It wasn't a racial issue.

csuBUC06
July 5th, 2007, 09:52 PM
The confederate flag represents the fact that, at one time, all it took to justify slavery to people in those states was that the color of their skin had to be dark.

-----