PDA

View Full Version : UAB vs Idaho

wapiti
September 4th, 2020, 10:07 AM
I was just wondering what thoughts were on how UAB and Idaho each approached there football problems years ago.

UAB shutdown football for a year or two and then came back and remained at the FBS level and appears to have improved.

Idaho dropped down to FCS and is struggling to win at the FCS level.

How will this comparison effect any future teams looking at dropping down or shutting down?

If Idaho is any precedence, teams will be even more hesitant to drop down.

Laker
September 4th, 2020, 11:55 AM
I think that the writing was on the wall when Idaho became an independent and the only conference that they could have joined was the Mountain West- who obviously didn't want them. With their other sports joining the Big Sky, it made sense for them to go back to where they had been before.

UAB on the other hand could stay in their conference- they were on the way up when they got screwed over. Glad that they gave the finger to the mother ship.

wapiti
September 4th, 2020, 06:21 PM
Their situations were different. Idaho's natural fit for a conference did not want them, but if Idaho had cancelled football for a year or two and then tried to join the Mountain West might they have taken them then??

I think Idaho has some internal problems and a stoppage of football for a year or two may or may not have solved those problems. I do not think it would have and then Idaho would have been completely without football.

bonarae
September 4th, 2020, 09:09 PM
I know, but the Vandal fans who wanted to remain in the FBS were right... their moving up back in the 1990s went bad, so to speak? xchinscratchx