PDA

View Full Version : The 2020/2021 Playoffs

Professor Chaos
August 31st, 2020, 06:16 PM
Some guidance came from the NCAA today:

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1300540371643109376

So, in a nutshell, leagues that need 9 weeks to play 8 conference games (due to having an odd number of teams) will need to start by Saturday 2/20 and teams that can play league games 8 weeks straight would be able to wait until 2/27. Playoffs (reduced to 16 teams) would start 4/24 with the national championship game on 5/15.

Many teams that play outdoors are going to have to come up with contingency plans for an indoor venue I'd think. Not just because of weather possible that time of year but if we have a really snowy winter in this part of the country stadiums might be buried by mid-February. Gotta hope for the best but there's a lot of hurdles that come with this spring schedule.

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 31st, 2020, 08:57 PM
Can't think of one university in the East that has an indoor facility except for Syracuse. Just have to tough it out and play in the elements.xnodx

dewey
August 31st, 2020, 10:54 PM
Going to be some cold games in Brookings, Bozeman, Missoula and other northern Midwest schools.

Thank goodness for the Fargodome.

Dewey

ST_Lawson
August 31st, 2020, 11:17 PM
Going to be some cold games in Brookings, Bozeman, Missoula and other northern Midwest schools.

Thank goodness for the Fargodome.

Dewey

First couple of weeks they might have to have all conference games at the indoor arena locations or the furthest south schools: UNI, NDSU, UND, plus SIU and MSU.

Anthony215
September 1st, 2020, 07:06 AM
Can't think of one university in the East that has an indoor facility except for Syracuse. Just have to tough it out and play in the elements.xnodx

In the case of the northern schools like BC/UMass/Holy Cross, Maine, Rhode Island I think you just play road games the first 3 weeks of the season until the beginning of March then schedule their home games when its less likely to be snowing.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 1st, 2020, 07:18 AM
In the case of the northern schools like BC/UMass/Holy Cross, Maine, Rhode Island I think you just play road games the first 3 weeks of the season until the beginning of March then schedule their home games when its less likely to be snowing.

Sounds good in theory and assuming we keep the same schedule as the fall Maine can travel to Richmond and JMU to start but after that it's either SBU or Rhody on the road. Knowing Maine had 15" of snow on April 10th last year I would say it's good bet we get to play some games in the snowxbowx

Catbooster
September 1st, 2020, 05:11 PM
It certainly wouldn't be the first game I've been to that's below zero at Bobcat stadium, but it's not the kind of weather you hope for. Usually our coldest games are either Cat/Griz or playoffs, which helps to get a good crowd in those conditions.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 7th, 2020, 08:12 AM
The women's lacrosse team at UNH starts their Spring season in mid-February. They've had a couple of home games every February at Wildcat Stadium the past few seasons. So, clearing the gridiron of snow is nothing new. If there is Sping Football, I'm expecting a February home game!

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2020, 12:00 PM

Atlantic City's Convention Hall is still available.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 8th, 2020, 08:10 AM
Atlantic City's Convention Hall is still available.

Hmmm, never heard of that schoolxlolx

penguinpower
September 9th, 2020, 05:57 AM
Anyone thinking that a season will be played in the spring is living a pipe dream. This is not happening. There are too many things that are incongruent and don't add up. Saying you will play a spring season is just another way to kick the can down the road. Good for the teams and conferences that play now.

Check out the Ethical Skeptic. That guy owns a consultation business similar to an actuary. He will not reveal his name because it could affect his livelihood. However, he recently posted some information that disputes the stated Covid-19 mortality rates that are being used for political reasons by the media. What he basically did was overlay the constant mortality rate aka the survivorship curve (which is basically a remarkably stable rate of death for the human population for each age on top of the covid death rate and determined the true mortality rate from covid-19.

Apparently, the "scientists" or " the people in charge" never backed out the survivorship curve. So basically what he discovered was that about 43,000 people have died directly from Covid-19, and the rest actually fall into the constant mortality rate numbers. This is the reason why the CDC quietly covered their ass by putting out a press release that said 94% of Covid-19 deaths had contributing conditions. I initially saw that and asked "What's this all about?" Then a few days later I saw the numbers the Ethical Skeptic published, which qualified the constant mortality rate and the fact that it had dropped so remarkably when the pandemic death numbers were reported.

I do not understand why journalists, who are supposed to have at least some level of critical thinking capability have not reported on this major discrepancy.
The constant mortality rates were actually lowered because they reported these deaths as Covid-19. According to the data the pandemic will end in the next 2 weeks.

Before a bunch of experts chime in on this information, please leave your bias the Media has implanted in your head and look at the data the Ethical Skeptic is showing.

We should be playing now. There is no reason why teams should be skipping the season. The only reason why I think this narrative is continuing is because it is an election year and absolute power corrupts absolutely. That may be the ultimate reason this narrative is being pushed. If you work with data like I do, the data tells a powerful story. Covid-19 is not nearly as bad as it has been portrayed. Not even close.

Demand we play now. The proof is out there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2020, 06:17 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

xnodx

nodak651
September 10th, 2020, 11:38 AM
Anyone thinking that a season will be played in the spring is living a pipe dream. This is not happening. There are too many things that are incongruent and don't add up. Saying you will play a spring season is just another way to kick the can down the road. Good for the teams and conferences that play now.

Check out the Ethical Skeptic. That guy owns a consultation business similar to an actuary. He will not reveal his name because it could affect his livelihood. However, he recently posted some information that disputes the stated Covid-19 mortality rates that are being used for political reasons by the media. What he basically did was overlay the constant mortality rate aka the survivorship curve (which is basically a remarkably stable rate of death for the human population for each age on top of the covid death rate and determined the true mortality rate from covid-19.

Apparently, the "scientists" or " the people in charge" never backed out the survivorship curve. So basically what he discovered was that about 43,000 people have died directly from Covid-19, and the rest actually fall into the constant mortality rate numbers. This is the reason why the CDC quietly covered their ass by putting out a press release that said 94% of Covid-19 deaths had contributing conditions. I initially saw that and asked "What's this all about?" Then a few days later I saw the numbers the Ethical Skeptic published, which qualified the constant mortality rate and the fact that it had dropped so remarkably when the pandemic death numbers were reported.

I do not understand why journalists, who are supposed to have at least some level of critical thinking capability have not reported on this major discrepancy.
The constant mortality rates were actually lowered because they reported these deaths as Covid-19. According to the data the pandemic will end in the next 2 weeks.

Before a bunch of experts chime in on this information, please leave your bias the Media has implanted in your head and look at the data the Ethical Skeptic is showing.

We should be playing now. There is no reason why teams should be skipping the season. The only reason why I think this narrative is continuing is because it is an election year and absolute power corrupts absolutely. That may be the ultimate reason this narrative is being pushed. If you work with data like I do, the data tells a powerful story. Covid-19 is not nearly as bad as it has been portrayed. Not even close.

If you think Spring isn't going to happen, assuming for non-covid reasons, you think teams will start to schedule games for the second half of Oct, and more teams participate in a partial season?

BisonTru
September 10th, 2020, 05:36 PM

I am SHOCKED. ****ing SHOCKED!! That no reputable investigative journalist picked up "Anonymous internet blogger disputes Covid with unsubstantiated bogus data."

xnutsx

DFW HOYA
September 10th, 2020, 06:51 PM
Apparently, the "scientists" or " the people in charge" never backed out the survivorship curve. So basically what he discovered was that about 43,000 people have died directly from Covid-19, and the rest actually fall into the constant mortality rate numbers.

Extending that premise, almost no one dies directly from cancer because it's the organ shutdown that is the cause of death.

This is again one of these conspiracy theories along the lines of "Fox News knows more than the medical community", arguments that are indefensible from a public health perspective.

DEX
September 17th, 2020, 06:01 AM
Schedule eliminates MEAC and SWAC teams.

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2020, 06:24 AM
Schedule eliminates MEAC and SWAC teams.OR...

MEAC & SWAC schedules eliminate their participation in FCS Playoffs.

https://i.giphy.com/media/lJLX3MoiOlGXMuBewh/giphy.gif

penguinpower
September 18th, 2020, 07:05 AM
I am SHOCKED. ****ing SHOCKED!! That no reputable investigative journalist picked up "Anonymous internet blogger disputes Covid with unsubstantiated bogus data."

xnutsx

I do this kind of thing for a living. The information being used comes from trusted data sources and are cited. And Journalists do not have the training, mathematical, or mental capability to understand it anyway.

Outsider1
September 18th, 2020, 10:07 AM
I do this kind of thing for a living. The information being used comes from trusted data sources and are cited. And Journalists do not have the training, mathematical, or mental capability to understand it anyway.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Hammerhead
September 18th, 2020, 01:34 PM
if COVID-19 isn't killing people, what caused the 200,000 excess deaths so far this year?
https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/09/01/comorbidities-and-coronavirus-deaths-cdc/

From the link above:
"Looking at 2020 since March, the raw number of excess deaths is 200,000 more people than a normal year (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/08/12/us/covid-deaths-us.html). When we try to understand that, COVID-19 is the most rational and likely explanation. If you don't believe it's COVID-19, try to pinpoint why this year has been so different than any other. Why would a new disease that kills people not be the cause?"

ElCid
September 18th, 2020, 02:18 PM
if COVID-19 isn't killing people, what caused the 200,000 excess deaths so far this year?

From the link above:
"Looking at 2020 since March, the raw number of excess deaths is 200,000 more people than a normal year (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/08/12/us/covid-deaths-us.html). When we try to understand that, COVID-19 is the most rational and likely explanation. If you don't believe it's COVID-19, try to pinpoint why this year has been so different than any other. Why would a new disease that kills people not be the cause?"

He picks a very specific period of time....March to Aug. You can make predictions based on that, but it is not definitive until the year is complete and you can compare apples to apples. I am sure you understand how easy it is to slice and dice numbers to get the result you desire. The real answer will not be known until early next year when you can make a reasonable comparison to the historic numbers absent of any cherry picking of data or adjusting it. I have seen other articles which show just the opposite. We can argue all day long about who to believe, but the numbers will speak for themselves in a few months. About 2.8 million die each year in the US. That's a lot of folks. For my own prediction, looking at the numbers, I expect only a slight uptick, not unlike the worst flu seasons we have had over the last 50 years or so. But 200k+? Probably not.

BisonTru
September 18th, 2020, 07:13 PM

How about the scientists and doctors of every reputable medical organization including the CDC? Do they not have the training, mathematical, or mental capacity of ANONYMOUS INTERNET BLOGGER?

penguinpower
September 19th, 2020, 12:24 AM

From the link above:

The epidemic is following the Hope-Simpson and Farr's law curves. The issue is that iwhat is being reported is 200k deaths. However, only 30% of those can be directly contributed to covid-19. The remaining 70% are people with comorbidities and include age 83+. 34% of the 70% died of some other cause but had covid-19 when they died. That means we've lost about 54k people to covid-19 directly. The normal mortality rate (also known as the survivorship curve) has to be taken into account and has not been.

Secondly, states are reporting legacy deaths, meaning that the people died several weeks ago and see only being reported now. These deaths are being reported by unelected officials. This is a huge problem because it gives a narrative for the news media, but not really news.

The bottom line is that we were in a false tail the past two weeks and because covid-19 is following other viruses, based on the Hope- Simpson and Farr"s law curves, the epidemic was over starting this week (around Sunday or Monday). Covid-19 "season" is over.

The facts. That's all.

- - - Updated - - -

How about the scientists and doctors of every reputable medical organization including the CDC? Do they not have the training, mathematical, or mental capacity of ANONYMOUS INTERNET BLOGGER?

Science is about being skeptical. Obviously you are not a scientist

TheKingpin28
September 22nd, 2020, 03:36 PM
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-board-directors-approves-plan-holding-fall-championships-spring

If you do not outright win the autobid, you might be out of luck. That's a joke. Would have been nice to eliminate autobids for just this year and seed the full field. Will they avoid rematches in the 1st round since that would suck to potentially have the two best teams be forced to play each other due to "regionalization".

Professor
September 22nd, 2020, 03:48 PM
Count the MEAC Champ in the playoffs

BEAR
September 22nd, 2020, 04:00 PM
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-board-directors-approves-plan-holding-fall-championships-spring

If you do not outright win the autobid, you might be out of luck. That's a joke. Would have been nice to eliminate autobids for just this year and seed the full field. Will they avoid rematches in the 1st round since that would suck to potentially have the two best teams be forced to play each other due to "regionalization".

If you opted to play in the Fall....you are out of the playoffs. Am I understanding that right? xeyebrowx

TheKingpin28
September 22nd, 2020, 04:06 PM
If you opted to play in the Fall....you are out of the playoffs. Am I understanding that right? xeyebrowx

My understanding was that all schools who play, regardless of when, need to be considered for the playoffs from conferences who compete in the FCS playoffs.

Hammerhead
September 22nd, 2020, 04:44 PM
Annual deaths are generally predictable in yearly cycles so even one or two months is a decent sample and 6 months is more than enough.

He picks a very specific period of time....March to Aug. You can make predictions based on that, but it is not definitive until the year is complete and you can compare apples to apples. I am sure you understand how easy it is to slice and dice numbers to get the result you desire. The real answer will not be known until early next year when you can make a reasonable comparison to the historic numbers absent of any cherry picking of data or adjusting it. I have seen other articles which show just the opposite. We can argue all day long about who to believe, but the numbers will speak for themselves in a few months. About 2.8 million die each year in the US. That's a lot of folks. For my own prediction, looking at the numbers, I expect only a slight uptick, not unlike the worst flu seasons we have had over the last 50 years or so. But 200k+? Probably not.

BEAR
September 22nd, 2020, 04:51 PM
My understanding was that all schools who play, regardless of when, need to be considered for the playoffs from conferences who compete in the FCS playoffs.

Yeah but autobids get one spot so teams like the few SLC that played in the Fall might get an at-large. Might being the key word.

FUBeAR
September 22nd, 2020, 05:02 PM
Yeah but autobids get one spot so teams like the few SLC that played in the Fall might get an at-large. Might being the key word.
We all know at least 1 MVC, CAA, and BSC Team will each get an At-Large. Where the remaining 2 will fall is the only question.

I know the SoCon, with the OOC & Playoff Performance of 2019 is OUT for an At-Large bid - even if the #2 Team goes 7-1, thrashes all 7 SoCon Teams they beat & loses to the #1 SoCon Team by 1 point, on the road, in a driving rainstorm, with their Top 10 Players out with the Rona...they still ain’t gettin’ in.

TheKingpin28
September 22nd, 2020, 06:51 PM
Yeah but autobids get one spot so teams like the few SLC that played in the Fall might get an at-large. Might being the key word.I know playing the "conspiracy theorist" for the playoffs is not looked highly upon, but I have to believe certain schools will have a leg up if they only have 1 loss compared to others. I cant see NDSU, SDSU, or UNI being left at home with 1 loss nor either of the Montana schools if they hit that criteria. It's not going to be good this year and that's why they should have scrapped the auto bid and taken the best 16.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
September 22nd, 2020, 07:32 PM
I know playing the "conspiracy theorist" for the playoffs is not looked highly upon, but I have to believe certain schools will have a leg up if they only have 1 loss compared to others. I cant see NDSU, SDSU, or UNI being left at home with 1 loss nor either of the Montana schools if they hit that criteria. It's not going to be good this year and that's why they should have scrapped the auto bid and taken the best 16.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkSounds good, but with very few, if any OOC games, how the heck would you pick “the best 16” ??? You already have 5 of the 16 slots filled by MVFC & BSC Teams, who haven’t taken a snap in 2020/2021. Those 5 may be the best Teams in FCS, FBS, and the NFL for that matter...but how do you KNOW?

Nah - not the season to even ponder that kind of structure. Using historical results and the (hugely subjective) “eye test” without any (enough) OOC ‘comparables’ informing a selection committee would just be wrong this year.

I grew up in ACC Hoops country back in the day when only the tournament champion made the NCAA tournament. You don’t wanna stay home, win your conference. Those were the good old days...before .500 Teams got in the Tourney because they are perceived as ‘better’ than a 26-5 mid-major only because they play in the ACC.

BEAR
September 22nd, 2020, 08:16 PM
Wonder if any FCS teams that played a hefty fall schedule will get an invite to a lower bowl game instead of the playoffs in this weird year....possible?

TheKingpin28
September 23rd, 2020, 07:27 AM
Sounds good, but with very few, if any OOC games, how the heck would you pick “the best 16” ??? You already have 5 of the 16 slots filled by MVFC & BSC Teams, who haven’t taken a snap in 2020/2021. Those 5 may be the best Teams in FCS, FBS, and the NFL for that matter...but how do you KNOW?

Nah - not the season to even ponder that kind of structure. Using historical results and the (hugely subjective) “eye test” without any (enough) OOC ‘comparables’ informing a selection committee would just be wrong this year.

I grew up in ACC Hoops country back in the day when only the tournament champion made the NCAA tournament. You don’t wanna stay home, win your conference. Those were the good old days...before .500 Teams got in the Tourney because they are perceived as ‘better’ than a 26-5 mid-major only because they play in the ACC.I said if they only have 1 loss, I cant see them being left at home. You're telling me, that they will be left at home if they win all of their games but lose only 1 of them? Yeah, that is not happening.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
September 23rd, 2020, 07:43 AM
I said if they only have 1 loss, I cant see them being left at home. You're telling me, that they will be left at home if they win all of their games but lose only 1 of them? Yeah, that is not happening.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkDidn’t say anything of the sort...Said...

1) Not the year to even think about determining “the best 16” with few, if any, OOC games to provide some way for the Selection Committee to assess relative conference strength THIS season & extrapolate that to, say, comparing a 1 loss Southland Team to a 2 loss MVFC Team. Whether we like / agree with or not, the (oft-maligned) “transitive properties” are used to Rank / Select Teams. Just not enough OOC data points this year to effectively do that.

2) Said, in a prior post, MVFC, CAA, and BSC will each get (at least) 1 At-Large bid. That will be based, primarily, on prior seasons’ Playoffs / OOC results. Probably, not ‘fair’ to consider those results in a different season, but, again, beyond ‘the eye test’ (which is BS, IMO), they just won’t have enough ‘this season’ data to make ‘fair’ decisions...so, they gotta use something to pick the 5 At-Large’s...In-Conf W-L records & prior years is really all they will have, so that’s what they will (and should...this year) use. They won’t admit that...but it will be the primary criteria for at least 3 of the 5 at-large berths. It’s the only thing you are using to pre-install at least 3 of NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Mont., and MontSt into the field, if they only lose 1 game & don’t win their conferences.

All good with that...not good with picking “the best 16.” Not the year to even think about that.

DFW HOYA
September 23rd, 2020, 08:32 AM
Different question: if a AQ conference has fewer members playing in the spring, how many playing teams are required for an autobid?

FUBeAR
September 23rd, 2020, 10:16 AM
Different question: if a AQ conference has fewer members playing in the spring, how many playing teams are required for an autobid?
No idea of the right answer, but if the NCAA extends their own ‘logic,’ the answer would be 50% or more of the ‘normal’ number of Teams in each Conference - so, 5 or more (of the ‘normal’ 9), in the SoCon, for example.

wapiti
September 23rd, 2020, 11:59 AM
If this Spring season does happen, teams can only afford 1 loss and still have any shot at the playoffs. If its only a 6 game season, teams will most likely have to go undefeated to make the playoffs.

What if a conference has more than one team go undefeated this Spring? (This could happen in the Big Sky) Will the Big Sky have multiple champs and they all go?

Will teams that are playing now get to count these fall games?

Daytripper
September 23rd, 2020, 12:05 PM
If this Spring season does happen, teams can only afford 1 loss and still have any shot at the playoffs. If its only a 6 game season, teams will most likely have to go undefeated to make the playoffs.

What if a conference has more than one team go undefeated this Spring? (This could happen in the Big Sky) Will the Big Sky have multiple champs and they all go?

The Southland is not including teams playing in the fall in the spring schedule. Are the teams that play in the fall going to have to cobble together an independent schedule? Or, will they be punished by the conference for breaking loose in defiance of the conference decision to shutter the fall season?

wapiti
September 23rd, 2020, 12:21 PM
The Southland is not including teams playing in the fall in the spring schedule. Are the teams that play in the fall going to have to cobble together an independent schedule? Or, will they be punished by the conference for breaking loose in defiance of the conference decision to shutter the fall season?

Well. That does not sound fair to me. (I know, the world is very seldom fair.) My understanding of the conference's cancelling fall games was that if a team wanted to schedule some fall games they could without any issues if a Spring season happened. Sounds like the Southland is turning its back on teams that are playing games this fall, but maybe I missed something in all of the talk about cancelling the fall season.

Professor Chaos
September 23rd, 2020, 12:23 PM

Determining the autobid will work the same as it always has with each league's defined tie breaker scenarios. Although some leagues, if you get far enough down the line of tie breakers, go to computer rankings like Sagarin to break the tie. That might not work this year since Sagarin will never have a "well connected" model without any OOC games. Could come down to a coin flip determining who gets the autobid and who has to sweat it out.

In general though I agree with FUBear, without any OOC games this spring it's going to be a mess trying to rank teams in different leagues so if there ever was a year to rely mostly on autobids to fill the field this is the year.

Daytripper
September 23rd, 2020, 12:24 PM
Well. That does not sound fair to me. (I know, the world is very seldom fair.) My understanding of the conference's cancelling fall games was that if a team wanted to schedule some fall games they could without any issues if a Spring season happened. Sounds like the Southland is turning its back on teams that are playing games this fall, but maybe I missed something in all of the talk about cancelling the fall season.

I'm just going by the recently released Southland schedules. https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?256370-SPRING-FOOTBALL-SEASON-SCHEDULES

None of the teams playing in the fall are on the spring schedule. Based on this, I am just assuming they won't be playing. I may be wrong.

Professor Chaos
September 23rd, 2020, 12:28 PM
I'm just going by the recently released Southland schedules. https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?256370-SPRING-FOOTBALL-SEASON-SCHEDULES

None of the teams playing in the fall are on the spring schedule. Based on this, I am just assuming they won't be playing. I may be wrong.
If a team plays more than 4 games in the fall are they even allowed to play 8 more in the spring? I'd assume the NCAA has given some guidance there but my guess is that's the choice each school has; play more than 4 in the fall and don't play in the spring or play 4 games or less in the fall and then play in the spring if you want. UCA is playing 9 games this fall I believe so I don't think they should (nor would they probably want to) be able to play 8 more games in the spring and then roll into a (hopefully) full season again next fall.

Daytripper
September 23rd, 2020, 12:32 PM
If a team plays more than 4 games in the fall are they even allowed to play 8 more in the spring? I'd assume the NCAA has given some guidance there but my guess is that's the choice each school has; play more than 4 in the fall and don't play in the spring or play 4 games or less in the fall and then play in the spring if you want. UCA is playing 9 games this fall I believe so I don't think they should (nor would they probably want to) be able to play 8 more games in the spring and then roll into a (hopefully) full season again next fall.

I think those that play more than 4 in the fall are going to regret it. The FCS is going to get a lot of TV coverage throughout the spring. It should help immensely with money as well as recruiting for the upcoming class that begins next fall. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that there will be serious discussions about leaving the FCS in the spring for the future.

BEAR
September 23rd, 2020, 12:37 PM

I think the press UCA gave the SLC was quite a bit positive. They so far have pulled off playing in the fall. UCA is scheduled for 10 games this fall after adding Missouri Western just a couple of days ago.
Honestly, knowing our coaches, I don't think with players getting another year of eligibility AND playing 10 games this fall that they care to play in the Spring. I just don't see us playing 10 games in the fall then up to 8 or 9 more in the Spring then hitting summer camp then back at it full tilt in the fall.

I believe our season is done when we play ULL in November.

As a fan that's alright with me. Just wish we had more home games...but I say that EVERY year. xlolx

Daytripper
September 23rd, 2020, 12:44 PM
I think the press UCA gave the SLC was quite a bit positive. They so far have pulled off playing in the fall. UCA is scheduled for 10 games this fall after adding Missouri Western just a couple of days ago.
Honestly, knowing our coaches, I don't think with players getting another year of eligibility AND playing 10 games this fall that they care to play in the Spring. I just don't see us playing 10 games in the fall then up to 8 or 9 more in the Spring then hitting summer camp then back at it full tilt in the fall.

I believe our season is done when we play ULL in November.

As a fan that's alright with me. Just wish we had more home games...but I say that EVERY year. xlolx

True. I thought HBU and, dare I say it, SFA also represented well.

lionsrking2
September 23rd, 2020, 01:01 PM

Southland teams were given the option to play up to three non-conference games in the fall. The schools not participating in the spring are playing more than three non-conference games, and have chosen to forego playing for a conference title. Essentially, they're playing as independents, and as far as I know, they're subject to consideration for an at-large if the fall results are impressive enough.

X-Factor
September 23rd, 2020, 01:03 PM

From the link above:

Oh, Covid 19 is it all right, but not fully responsible for the direct result that I’m assuming you imply, and that has been well established.

The below graph helps explain some of that difference. How much exactly is impossible to say. It’s impossible to deny that the non-Covid death rate hasn’t had a major influence from Covid related behaviors and restrictions. Anyone working at a hospital system knows exactly the policies put in place that’s hindered treatment for other disease states during this pandemic, and maybe most importantly, patient perception on if they should seek treatment.

TheKingpin28
September 23rd, 2020, 04:07 PM
Didn’t say anything of the sort...Said...

1) Not the year to even think about determining “the best 16” with few, if any, OOC games to provide some way for the Selection Committee to assess relative conference strength THIS season & extrapolate that to, say, comparing a 1 loss Southland Team to a 2 loss MVFC Team. Whether we like / agree with or not, the (oft-maligned) “transitive properties” are used to Rank / Select Teams. Just not enough OOC data points this year to effectively do that.

2) Said, in a prior post, MVFC, CAA, and BSC will each get (at least) 1 At-Large bid. That will be based, primarily, on prior seasons’ Playoffs / OOC results. Probably, not ‘fair’ to consider those results in a different season, but, again, beyond ‘the eye test’ (which is BS, IMO), they just won’t have enough ‘this season’ data to make ‘fair’ decisions...so, they gotta use something to pick the 5 At-Large’s...In-Conf W-L records & prior years is really all they will have, so that’s what they will (and should...this year) use. They won’t admit that...but it will be the primary criteria for at least 3 of the 5 at-large berths. It’s the only thing you are using to pre-install at least 3 of NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Mont., and MontSt into the field, if they only lose 1 game & don’t win their conferences.

All good with that...not good with picking “the best 16.” Not the year to even think about that.

This is literally what I typed.

I know playing the "conspiracy theorist" for the playoffs is not looked highly upon, but I have to believe certain schools will have a leg up if they only have 1 loss compared to others. I cant see NDSU, SDSU, or UNI being left at home with 1 loss nor either of the Montana schools if they hit that criteria. It's not going to be good this year and that's why they should have scrapped the auto bid and taken the best 16.

Libertine
September 24th, 2020, 01:15 PM
The FCS is going to get a lot of TV coverage throughout the spring. It should help immensely with money as well as recruiting for the upcoming class that begins next fall. Based on what? TV coverage is tied entirely to contracted broadcast rights which were, presumably, already negotiated and signed pre-COVID. Whatever TV coverage FCS football gets in the spring will be exactly the same coverage you would have gotten in the fall.

Daytripper
September 24th, 2020, 01:42 PM
Based on what? TV coverage is tied entirely to contracted broadcast rights which were, presumably, already negotiated and signed pre-COVID. Whatever TV coverage FCS football gets in the spring will be exactly the same coverage you would have gotten in the fall.

I would imagine that those games that were on ESPN+ could very well end up on ESPN. I would think that there would be language in the contract that games moved from online to television would be compensated at a higher level. I may be wrong.

Libertine
September 24th, 2020, 03:03 PM
I would imagine that those games that were on ESPN+ could very well end up on ESPN. I would think that there would be language in the contract that games moved from online to television would be compensated at a higher level. I may be wrong.

Bear in mind that the bulk of the spring "regular" season for FCS will also -- assuming everything stays on schedule -- coincide with the tail end of the cash cow that is NCAA men's basketball season, including conference tournaments, March Madness and the Final Four. I could see end-of-year and FCS playoff games being moved up the ESPN ladder from ESPN+ to ESPNU or ESPN2 -- which would be good exposure for the schools -- but, either way, those rights and fees have already been negotiated regardless of which platform the game lands on.

Anthony215
September 25th, 2020, 09:29 AM
As far as the FCS 2020-2021 playoffs I wonder if guys like Troy Anderson from Montana, Liam Fornadel from JMU, Elerson Smith from Northern Iowa or Drew Himmelman from Illinois State will risk even suiting up in the spring with the NFL Draft probably taking place in May 2021. Also if i'm not mistaken isn't the barcket being reduced to 16 teams which means 11 auto bids and just 5 at large bids? That means the CAA/Missouri Valley/Big Sky and Southland conferences will all be fighting for a handful of at large bids.

FUBeAR
September 25th, 2020, 10:30 AM
As far as the FCS 2020-2021 playoffs I wonder if guys like Troy Anderson from Montana, Liam Fornadel from JMU, Elerson Smith from Northern Iowa or Drew Himmelman from Illinois State will risk even suiting up in the spring with the NFL Draft probably taking place in May 2021. Also if i'm not mistaken isn't the barcket being reduced to 16 teams which means 11 auto bids and just 5 at large bids? That means the CAA/Missouri Valley/Big Sky and Southland conferences will all be fighting for a handful of at large bids.Southland only has 7 Teams (of 11) participating for their Spring Championship. I don’t see an At-Large bid going to the SLC being very likely this season. 1 each to the 2nd place Teams from the other 3 you mentioned are all-but ‘locks.’ Then, I see 3rd place MVFC Team grabbing the 4th At-Large. I’d put it about 70% that the 5th At-Large will go to the BSC 3rd place Team & about 30% that it will go to CAA bronze medalist.

Daytripper
September 25th, 2020, 11:11 AM
Southland only has 7 Teams (of 11) participating for their Spring Championship. I don’t see an At-Large bid going to the SLC being very likely this season. 1 each to the 2nd place Teams from the other 3 you mentioned are all-but ‘locks.’ Then, I see 3rd place MVFC Team grabbing the 4th At-Large. I’d put it about 70% that the 5th At-Large will go to the BSC 3rd place Team & about 30% that it will go to CAA bronze medalist.

It's possible if a Southland team can win a strong OOC game in one of their bye weeks.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2020, 12:56 PM
That means the CAA/Missouri Valley/Big Sky and Southland conferences will all be fighting for a handful of at large bids.

If so, an autobid for a four team Patriot League won't go well on this board.