PDA

View Full Version : The 50% Threshold

Catatonic
August 6th, 2020, 07:23 AM
The NCAA says 50% of eligible schools must play this fall for playoffs to happen. Here’s where we are, subject to change by the hour:

Big Sky (13)
Big South( 5) Hampton no Fall sports. North Ala not eligible
CAA (3) JMU, Elon, Nova will play. Conference cancelled
MVFC (11)
Ohio Valley (9)
Pioneer (9)
Southern (9)
Southland (9) SFA and McNeese not Eligible

That’s 68 schools left standing.

How many schools are eligible? This isn’t an easy question to answer for FCS. There are 127 FCS schools. Transitional schools and those with APR problems aren’t eligible. That much is clear. Six schools fit in these categories (Tarleton, Dixie State and North Alabama are Transitional. SFA, McNeese and Prairie View are under APR sanction). This leaves 121 FCS schools to consider.

What about schools that could be eligible but whose conferences choose not to participate or whose conference champions play in their own championship game rather than the FCS playoffs? Do those schools count as “eligible?” The Ivy League, MEAC and SWAC fall into these categories.

If the NCAA determines schools from these conferences must be counted than FCS is barely above the required minimum with 68/121 eligible schools.

If the NCAA permits a more liberal defininition of eligible schools to include only schools from conferences that normally participate in the playoffs, the FCS is in good shape, with 68/98 playing.

There’s also a middle ground option. Sam Herder Tweeted that he spoke with a member of the D1 Council who believes the Ivy will not be counted but the MEAC and SWAC will count toward the total number of eligible schools. If this opinion proves correct, The current tally is 68/113 or 60%.

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 07:27 AM
Who's going to pay for all the mandatory Covid testing if they are eligible to play?

BEAR
August 6th, 2020, 07:45 AM
The NCAA says 50% of eligible schools must play this fall for playoffs to happen. Here’s where we are, subject to change by the hour:

Big Sky (13)
Big South( 5) Hampton no Fall sports. North Ala not eligible
CAA (3) JMU, Elon, Nova will play. Conference cancelled
MVFC (11)
Ohio Valley (9)
Pioneer (9)
Southern (9)
Southland (9) SFA and McNeese not Eligible

That’s 68 schools left standing.

How many schools are eligible? This isn’t an easy question to answer for FCS. There are 127 FCS schools. Transitional schools and those with APR problems aren’t eligible. That much is clear. Six schools fit in these categories (Tarleton, Dixie State and North Alabama are Transitional. SFA, McNeese and Prairie View are under APR sanction). This leaves 121 FCS schools to consider.

What about schools that could be eligible but whose conferences choose not to participate or whose conference champions play in their own championship game rather than the FCS playoffs? Do those schools count as “eligible?” The Ivy League, MEAC and SWAC fall into these categories.

If the NCAA determines schools from these conferences must be counted than FCS is barely above the required minimum with 68/121 eligible schools.

If the NCAA permits a more liberal defininition of eligible schools to include only schools from conferences that normally participate in the playoffs, the FCS is in good shape, with 68/98 playing.

There’s also a middle ground option. Sam Herder Tweeted that he spoke with a member of the D1 Council who believes the Ivy will not be counted but the MEAC and SWAC will count toward the total number of eligible schools. If this opinion proves correct, The current tally is 68/113 or 60%.

Hopefully the NCAA won't count the "ineligible" teams or the ones who choose not to participate...as they have no bearing on the playoff count anyway. But you know the NCAA...xcoffeex

cx500d
August 6th, 2020, 07:51 AM
Who's going to pay for all the mandatory Covid testing if they are eligible to play?
What do you care, you pussies don't participate anyway

Bisonator
August 6th, 2020, 09:48 AM
I fully expect the Pioneer to bail so we are pretty much screwed for having playoffs this year but I still hope the rest of these teams play this fall and don't pretend a spring season might happen because it won't.

Derby City Duke
August 6th, 2020, 11:00 AM
I fully expect the Pioneer to bail so we are pretty much screwed for having playoffs this year but I still hope the rest of these teams play this fall and don't pretend a spring season might happen because it won't.

JMU's position is that the will play an independent schedule IF there is a championship playoff. Don't know if that will change -- they appear to still be planning for a full schedule.

Laker
August 6th, 2020, 11:08 AM
There is no way that you can count the conferences who have chosen not to participate prior to this outbreak. They made their decision on their own.

downbythebeach
August 6th, 2020, 11:37 AM
Where does Robert Morris U stand? They appear to still plan on playing, but most of the games have been cancelled.

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 11:40 AM
There is no way that you can count the conferences who have chosen not to participate prior to this outbreak. They made their decision on their own.Hmm.... so did they cancel their memberships to the FCS also?

dgtw
August 6th, 2020, 12:16 PM
Do we know for a fact who the NCAA is and isn’t counting as eligible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libertine
August 6th, 2020, 12:18 PM

Probably the schools themselves. The bulk of expenses for FCS football is already borne by the schools as the NCAA provides very little funding up to and continuing through the playoffs. I don't know why that would change now.

SU DOG
August 6th, 2020, 12:27 PM
To me, this article from Bisonland is very good and informative. The $400,000 price tag for testing is definitely going to be a burden for most FCS schools.

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6604795-McFeely-With-cunning-NCAA-makes-FCS-playoffs-a-near-impossibility

Laker
August 6th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Hmm.... so did they cancel their memberships to the FCS also?

It has nothing to do with their membership at FCS level- it has everything to do with participating in the playoffs.

In Minnesota over 70% of those eligible vote for president. Those who chose not to don't lose their citizenship, it is their choice not to decide who is elected. The Ivy doesn't get to say, well, we aren't planning on being in the playoffs but count our teams to determine whether the rest of you should.

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Probably the schools themselves. The bulk of expenses for FCS football is already borne by the schools as the NCAA provides very little funding up to and continuing through the playoffs. I don't know why that would change now.My point is how do they expect to pay for those? From what I'm hearing it can go up to $100k a pop and it has to be done weekly. Not sure of the accuracy but if it's even close to being accurate. 95% of FCS schools can't afford that.

BEAR
August 6th, 2020, 12:31 PM
Do we know for a fact who the NCAA is and isn’t counting as eligible?

That's the question of the Day. I would think if teams weren't in the playoff system before then it's possible the NCAA isn't counting them toward the 50% mark anyway. But you know the NCAA...xlolx

BEAR
August 6th, 2020, 12:32 PM
It has nothing to do with their membership at FCS level- it has everything to do with participating in the playoffs.

In Minnesota over 70% of those eligible vote for president. Those who chose not to don't lose their citizenship, it is their choice not to decide who is elected. The Ivy doesn't get to say, well, we aren't planning on being in the playoffs but count our teams to determine whether the rest of you should.

+1 xbowx You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Laker again.

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 12:33 PM

In Minnesota over 70% of those eligible vote for president. Those who chose not to don't lose their citizenship, it is their choice not to decide who is elected. The Ivy doesn't get to say, well, we aren't planning on being in the playoffs but count our teams to determine whether the rest of you should.Nah it call you just pulling shat out your butt and convincing yourself that it's true. Then getting all work up over some shat "YOU" made up. There's medicine for that.

cx500d
August 6th, 2020, 12:34 PM
Nah it call you just pulling shat out your butt and convincing yourself that it's true. Then getting all work up over some shat "YOU" made up. There's medicine for that.
I wish you would take it

Laker
August 6th, 2020, 12:40 PM
Nah it call you just pulling shat out your butt and convincing yourself that it's true. Then getting all work up over some shat "YOU" made up. There's medicine for that.

This is your typical response. You have no facts to post, so you throw something against the wall like a little kid having a tantrum. Just admit that you don't have any point besides trying to argue (and failing).

cx500d
August 6th, 2020, 01:07 PM
This is your typical response. You have no facts to post, so you throw something against the wall like a little kid having a tantrum. Just admit that you don't have any point besides trying to argue (and failing).
He’s searching for a Twitter link now to post in response

walliver
August 6th, 2020, 01:22 PM
These will be paid for the same way the SWAC will pay in the spring.

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 01:31 PM
This is your typical response. You have no facts to post, so you throw something against the wall like a little kid having a tantrum. Just admit that you don't have any point besides trying to argue (and failing).Do you even remotely have any idea just how mentally unstable you sound right now? After having a tantrum about something "YOU" just posted that you just pulled out your butt. Without one link to anything that even remotely support your crazy rant?

cx500d
August 6th, 2020, 01:43 PM
Do you even remotely have any idea just how mentally unstable you sound right now? After having a tantrum about something "YOU" just posted that you just pulled out your butt. Without one link to anything that even remotely support your crazy rant?
Can you restate in the form of a twitter link?

major095
August 6th, 2020, 02:10 PM
What do you care, you pussies don't participate anyway

I don't know who the mods are but this should not be tolerated.

major095
August 6th, 2020, 02:12 PM
the only number I heard in relation to the swac regarding cost of testing was $100k/month. that factored heavily into their decision.

ASU33
August 6th, 2020, 03:03 PM
Looks like the Big Sky is out!

BEAR
August 6th, 2020, 03:07 PM
Looks like the Big Sky is out!

:(

BEAR
August 6th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Can you restate in the form of a twitter link?

Or post an overly expressive meme....with tons of exclamation points surrounded by multiple LOLs and references to other posters. xcoffeex

ASU33
August 6th, 2020, 03:14 PM
:(

Hold the phones, I'm seeing conflicting reports.

BisonFan02
August 6th, 2020, 03:16 PM
**** it. Just cancel the season already.

BEAR
August 6th, 2020, 03:21 PM
Hold the phones, I'm seeing conflicting reports.

Me too! C'mon Big Sky! Stay in!

BisonTru
August 6th, 2020, 03:53 PM
**** it. Just cancel the season already.

Agree. Honestly let's just do a short spring season. Almost a guarantee that a vaccine will be out and this will be over.

Any NFL hopefulls can opt out. Get drafted or get invited to a camp, go ahead and go.

BisonFan02
August 6th, 2020, 04:04 PM
Agree. Honestly let's just do a short spring season. Almost a guarantee that a vaccine will be out and this will be over.

Any NFL hopefulls can opt out. Get drafted or get invited to a camp, go ahead and go.

Naw.....cancel entirely and try again next fall. **** it. Vaccine? are you kidding me? haha

#2weekstoslowthecurve

Catatonic
August 6th, 2020, 04:09 PM
Do you even remotely have any idea just how mentally unstable you sound right now? After having a tantrum about something "YOU" just posted that you just pulled out your butt. Without one link to anything that even remotely support your crazy rant?

Dear Mr Kettle,

You sound unstable

Sincerely,

Mr Pot, esq.

FUBeAR
August 6th, 2020, 04:11 PM
What do you care? You pussies don't participate anyway.
I don't know who the mods are but this should not be tolerated.
Agreed. The punctuation is HORRIBLE! (fixed it)

BisonFan02
August 6th, 2020, 06:52 PM
When covid magically cures itself sometime in November, will the remaining FCS teams be bowl eligible?

Laker
August 6th, 2020, 07:27 PM
Zach Barnett@zach_barnett
(https://twitter.com/zach_barnett)
I reached out to the NCAA for clarification and the Ivy, SWAC and MEAC do count toward the 50% number required to stage the FCS playoffs, even though those leagues don’t compete. So the FCS is at 56% right now with the Big Sky pending.

Panther88
August 6th, 2020, 07:27 PM
The dormant and traditional flu season is waving from 2 months away as covid45 continues its path.

Gooooooooood luck to students who feel compelled, for whatever unholy reason, to wear a school's uniform and play "ball" to the sheer amusement of fans in their stands. xconfusedx

Hammersmith
August 6th, 2020, 07:55 PM
I reached out to the NCAA for clarification and the Ivy, SWAC and MEAC do count toward the 50% number required to stage the FCS playoffs, even though those leagues don’t compete. So the FCS is at 56% right now with the Big Sky pending.

The Pioneer cancelled first, so that's it. I believe the current number is 49.59%. Game over.

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 08:03 PM

The fact anybody would think that they would is just freaking hilarious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 08:04 PM
Are you really that scared? Or are you pro-virus?

Nah he’s just Debbie Downer as usual.

Well it looks like there's a whole bunch of Debbie Downers huh?https://media0.giphy.com/media/3Hw9ggazsWYtC8YzJW/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7sm6i0waw2snio94a7yxmtklw3cwl wp2hxj62ap1d&rid=giphy.gif

Hammersmith
August 6th, 2020, 08:27 PM
The Pioneer cancelled first, so that's it. I believe the current number is 49.59%. Game over.

Oops. Real number is 50.42%(60/119). So game on for a few more hours.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 6th, 2020, 08:32 PM
Oops. Real number is 50.42%(60/119). So game on for a few more hours.

There will be other stragglers so basically the fall championships are done.

Hopefully the Valley will still have a season....

Hammersmith
August 6th, 2020, 08:38 PM
There will be other stragglers so basically the fall championships are done.

Hopefully the Valley will still have a season....

Nope. All of FCS will be done by the middle of next week. Big Sky and MVFC will likely announce tomorrow. Probably a couple others. The rest will announce on Monday or Tuesday once those presidents get a chance to set up a phone meeting.

Next week and the week after will be to see whether the G5 will follow suit.

BEAR
August 6th, 2020, 08:45 PM
Well at least the HBCUs can say they ran first, I mean lead the exit! xlolx Exclamation point, exclamation point, ethnic meme, exaggerated phrase!

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 09:02 PM
Well at least the HBCUs can say they ran first, I mean lead the exit! xlolx Exclamation point, exclamation point, ethnic meme, exaggerated phrase!Translation; I'm embarrass I made myself look like a fool again.

Bisonoline
August 6th, 2020, 09:07 PM
Nope. All of FCS will be done by the middle of next week. Big Sky and MVFC will likely announce tomorrow. Probably a couple others. The rest will announce on Monday or Tuesday once those presidents get a chance to set up a phone meeting.

Next week and the week after will be to see whether the G5 will follow suit.

I think your right. People I know at NDSU are pretty tight lipped as in--not returning messages or phone calls. Which I think is very telling.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 6th, 2020, 09:08 PM
I think your right. People I know at NDSU are pretty tight lipped as in--not returning messages or phone calls. Which I think is very telling.

PL: What will TMers do now?

Full refunds or let us pass this season's dues over to next year?

BEAR
August 6th, 2020, 09:13 PM
I'm embarrass I made myself look like a fool again.

FYP. xcoffeex Exclamation point, exclamation point, exaggeration, ignorant statement. xcoffeex

Bisonoline
August 6th, 2020, 09:14 PM
PL: What will TMers do now?

Full refunds or let us pass this season's dues over to next year?

I let DL know how Iowa handled it and he seemed pretty impressed with those options. Hopefully they will follow that lead.

Here is the email I received from Iowa today.
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2020/08/06/a-letter-from-gary-barta-on-2020-football-tickets/

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 09:39 PM
FYP. xcoffeex Exclamation point, exclamation point, exaggeration, ignorant statement. xcoffeex.https://media1.giphy.com/media/apowQdwqKcKPK/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7vqzw47r8bt027vsq3cmiz6vfdgvu aa4a5r9fwiqv&rid=giphy.gif

Bisonoline
August 6th, 2020, 10:00 PM
FYP. xcoffeex Exclamation point, exclamation point, exaggeration, ignorant statement. xcoffeex

His ignorance is astounding. Thank goodness for the ignore function.

Sader87
August 6th, 2020, 10:09 PM
In general, it makes sense to not have any FCS football this Fall instead of a few conferences playing here and there...it sucks for all involved, particularly the players, but it's probably best for the sub-division overall.

Bisonoline
August 6th, 2020, 10:15 PM
In general, it makes sense to not have any FCS football this Fall instead of a few conferences playing here and there...it sucks for all involved, particularly the players, but it's probably best for the sub-division overall.

As much as I would like to see them play I just cant see it happening. Even with all the protocols it wont mean crap when youve got 22 kids blocking and tackling each other for an hour and in close proximity for 3.

FUBeAR
August 6th, 2020, 10:40 PM
https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1288603642849906689

...this dude is the head of the CDC. He mentions July...so it’s recent.

Risk of Covid mortality for school-age peeps = 1 / 1,000,000

There are about 10,000 FCS Football Players

Per a 2013 NIH study https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23477766/

“Results: Football fatalities averaged 12.2 per year, or 1 per 100,000 participants.”

...So, just by playing the game of Football, Players are 10x more at risk of mortality than they are if they ‘catch’ Covid (whether or not they are playing football)

Seems like we’re swatting at a gnat on our nose, while an alligator is chewing off our leg.

If we (NCAA, University Presidents & AD’s, Conference Commissioners, and Players) are risk averse enough to be cancelling football games in 2020 because of Covid, it seems to FUBeAR that they ought to be focused on ‘Cancelling’ the sport of Football forever. Obviously, the sport exceeds our risk tolerance level by a factor of at least 10x.

No?

Well...maybe, for some reason, this year, this Fall particularly, our collective societal risk tolerance level is much lower than it was in 2019 and than it will be in a few months or so.

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 10:51 PM
https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1288603642849906689

...this dude is the head of the CDC. He mentions July...so it’s recent.

Risk of Covid mortality for school-age peeps = 1 / 1,000,000

There are about 10,000 FCS Football Players

Per a 2013 NIH study https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23477766/

“Results: Football fatalities averaged 12.2 per year, or 1 per 100,000 participants.”

...So, just by playing the game of Football, Players are 10x more at risk of mortality than they are if they ‘catch’ Covid (whether or not they are playing football)

Seems like we’re swatting at a gnat on our nose, while an alligator is chewing off our leg.

If we (NCAA, University Presidents & AD’s, Conference Commissioners, and Players) are risk averse enough to be cancelling football games in 2020 because of Covid, it seems to FUBeAR that they ought to be focused on ‘Cancelling’ the sport of Football forever. Obviously, the sport exceeds our risk tolerance level by a factor of at least 10x.

No?

Well...maybe, for some reason, this year, this Fall particularly, our collective societal risk tolerance level is much lower than it was in 2019 and than it will be in a few months or so.So now school age children play college football. https://media1.giphy.com/media/QeCNFNMmYMqvm/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7j2ihb18x7cqfati08f2lq7xz03d3 m89x33wae7pt&rid=giphy.gif

FUBeAR
August 6th, 2020, 11:01 PM
So now school age children play college football. https://media1.giphy.com/media/QeCNFNMmYMqvm/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7j2ihb18x7cqfati08f2lq7xz03d3 m89x33wae7pt&rid=giphy.gif

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using TapatalkGreat call out.

Please provide the statistically significant data you have defining the ‘important’ difference you have noted in the data cited here and that for the 17-23 year old age group that does play college football. Also, I’m sure you will be able to control & adjust that data to account for the relative & relevant overall health differences in the a college athlete vs. the average school age person. This study may assist you as you make those calculations https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/childhood.html

Looking forward to reviewing your findings.

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 11:10 PM
Great call out.

Please provide the statistically significant data you have defining the ‘important’ difference you have noted in the data cited here and that for the 17-23 year old age group that does play college football. Also, I’m sure you will be able to control & adjust that data to account for the relative & relevant overall health differences in the a college athlete vs. the average school age person. This study may assist you as you make those calculations https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/childhood.html

Looking forward to reviewing your findings.I'm no rocket scientist like you. But the fact that they specifically said school age kids. Would lead any rational thinking person to believe there's a difference between school age kids and adults. It would also lead any sane thinking person not to get caught up in this load crap you're dropping square in the middle of the thread.

BisonTru
August 6th, 2020, 11:23 PM
To catch most of you up (this has been known for months):

Younger/healthier people are a lot less likely to have dire effects by the virus. They are also a lot MORE likely to be an asypmtomatic carriers and MORE likely to spread the virus. We are trying to slow the spread.

cx500d
August 6th, 2020, 11:24 PM
So now school age children play college football. https://media1.giphy.com/media/QeCNFNMmYMqvm/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7j2ihb18x7cqfati08f2lq7xz03d3 m89x33wae7pt&rid=giphy.gif

I see you took a selfie while at work...at least you have a job I guess

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 11:31 PM

Younger/healthier people are a lot less likely to have dire effects by the virus. They are also a lot MORE likely to be an asypmtomatic carriers and MORE likely to spread the virus. We are trying to slow the spread.You might as well be talking to a box of rocks

FUBeAR
August 6th, 2020, 11:37 PM
I'm no rocket scientist like you. But the fact that they specifically said school age kids. Would lead any rational thinking person to believe there's a difference between school age kids and adults. It would also lead any sane thinking person not to get caught up in this load crap you're dropping square in the middle of the thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using TapatalkNope, rational thinking people would extrapolate that school-age data is, in relative perspective much, much closer to the ages of typical college football players than macro data and would look at that macro data and notice there is an extremely dramatic increase in Covid morbidity rates as the age of the sample size advances into elder years. Then, rational thinking people would accept the data proffered by the Head of the CDC as predictive, not perfectly predictive, but highly predictive.

Or, one would have a preconceived non-data derived opinion and call any rational data which does not support that opinion something like, “load crap.”

bluedog
August 6th, 2020, 11:50 PM
Nope, rational thinking people would extrapolate that school-age data is, in relative perspective much, much closer to the ages of typical college football players than macro data and would look at that macro data and notice there is an extremely dramatic increase in Covid morbidity rates as the age of the sample size advances. Then, rational thinking people would accept the data proffered by the Head of the CDC as predictive, not perfectly predictive, but highly predictive.

Or, one would have a preconceived non-data derived opinion and call any rational data which does not support that opinion something like, “load crap.”Yeah of course that's what they would do. Because it's more expedient then getting the actual data that actually reflects the topic at hand. That way they can just bullshat their way into looking like a social media genius. Make sense

katss07
August 6th, 2020, 11:58 PM
I see you took a selfie while at work...at least you have a job I guess
A SWAC degree is worth something, even if it’s just a job at The Good Burger, Home of The Good Burger.

cx500d
August 7th, 2020, 12:03 AM
A SWAC degree is worth something, even if it’s just a job at The Good Burger, Home of The Good Burger.
Hey, I like Whataburger as much as the next guy...they don't flip themselves.

Redbird 4th & short
August 7th, 2020, 01:42 AM

Younger/healthier people are a lot less likely to have dire effects by the virus. They are also a lot MORE likely to be an asypmtomatic carriers and MORE likely to spread the virus. We are trying to slow the spread.
This ! It is about slowing the spread to others. It is not about which age group experiences worse symptoms. Currently there is a 3% death to case rate ever to date. Covid has a way higher death rate than normal flu ... and its not close. Not to mention, it g hospitalizes a lot more people too. So when you hear about how full ICUs are right now in some states ... that is a big problem sitting here in August before school has started and winter flu season is 4 months away.

Oh ... and the fact that the video clearly said the 1 in million death rate was for kids under 18 ... so not 18-23 college age adults. And we all know this age group loves to go to parties and bars.

Again, this is about controlling the spread. My daughter is a middle school teacher ... she has 6 classes with about 30 kids per class. Thats exposure to 180 kids every day if her school were to try to open 100% ... which they arent because thay would be very stupid.

So imagine when teachers start catching covid, regardless of whether they get hospitalized or die ... and they will if schools are stupid about this. And what substitute teacger would want to take her place in a class room that just gave their teacher covid ? Especially as more teachers get covid. And they would have to disclose this, right ? Then do they test and quarantine all 180 of her students ?

Just no easy or good solutions sitting here in August with U.S. case counts so high. Got to slow the spread until the vaccine is ready for mass distribution. Our numbers are way off the charts ... all this prosperity and medical capacity has done little to keep this under control.

Just wear the stupid mask. We have lots of traffic laws when it comes to driving a car ... seat belts, speed limits, stop lights, etc ... all designed to protect us from injury and death ... there's no difference here.

McCowboys
August 7th, 2020, 05:46 AM
McNeese was to have started fall camp yesterday with split squads, but that was quickly put on hold as the new NCAA regulations were rolled out. Reports are that the testing is the prohibitive factor -- every athlete must be tested every 72 hours -- along with a few other mandates. As someone pointed out (most likely in this thread somewhere), the testing is expensive and would not be affordable to the majority of FCS schools.

I know that there have been NCAA athletes who have tested positive for Covid. I also know there are false positives (even in the NFL: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/us/matthew-stafford-false-positive-covid-trnd/index.html).

What I would like someone with an investigative bent to dig into is -- of the NCAA athletes who have tested positive, what are their symptoms? Are their symptoms similar to having a cold or mild flu-like? How many have been hospitalized? How many are in the ICU? How many on ventilators? How many have died? Report on this and not just the number of positive cases.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 7th, 2020, 05:46 AM
This ! It is about slowing the spread to others. It is not about which age group experiences worse symptoms. Currently there is a 3% death to case rate ever to date. Covid has a way higher death rate than normal flu ... and its not close. Not to mention, it g hospitalizes a lot more people too. So when you hear about how full ICUs are right now in some states ... that is a big problem sitting here in August before school has started and winter flu season is 4 months away.

Oh ... and the fact that the video clearly said the 1 in million death rate was for kids under 18 ... so not 18-23 college age adults. And we all know this age group loves to go to parties and bars.

Again, this is about controlling the spread. My daughter is a middle school teacher ... she has 6 classes with about 30 kids per class. Thats exposure to 180 kids every day if her school were to try to open 100% ... which they arent because thay would be very stupid.

So imagine when teachers start catching covid, regardless of whether they get hospitalized or die ... and they will if schools are stupid about this. And what substitute teacger would want to take her place in a class room that just gave their teacher covid ? Especially as more teachers get covid. And they would have to disclose this, right ? Then do they test and quarantine all 180 of her students ?

Just no easy or good solutions sitting here in August with U.S. case counts so high. Got to slow the spread until the vaccine is ready for mass distribution. Our numbers are way off the charts ... all this prosperity and medical capacity has done little to keep this under control.

Just wear the stupid mask. We have lots of traffic laws when it comes to driving a car ... seat belts, speed limits, stop lights, etc ... all designed to protect us from injury and death ... there's no difference here.

Well, then no school should be open...period. Distance learning for all kids this whole year. Stay consistent for you people.

No religious services. No concerts. No large gatherings. No school.

OhioHen
August 7th, 2020, 06:30 AM

And making this thing go on and on and on...much longer than the natural course the disease would have taken.

A&T AGGIE96
August 7th, 2020, 07:00 AM
I’m shocked college educated people are even discussing this.

No football this fall is a tough pill to swallow, but it’s not worth the unnecessary risk to the players or fans.

Here in N.C. we are trying to get our kids back in school and to fully open up daily activities. It’s getting better, but you got some people that are stuck on stupid.

bluedog
August 7th, 2020, 07:04 AM

No football this fall is a tough pill to swallow, but it’s not worth the unnecessary risk to the players or fans.

Here in N.C. we are trying to get our kids back in school and to fully open up daily activities. It’s getting better, but you got some people that are stuck on stupid.I'm shock that you're shocked.

bluedog
August 7th, 2020, 07:10 AM
A SWAC degree is worth something, even if it’s just a job at The Good Burger, Home of The Good Burger.Hmm... the SWAC isn't a University so therefore you can't earn a SWAC degree. Seems like you could benefited by transferring to Prairie View or Texas Southern though.

WileECoyote06
August 7th, 2020, 07:13 AM

Here in N.C. we are trying to get our kids back in school and to fully open up daily activities. It’s getting better, but you got some people that are stuck on stupid.

These folks are mostly uber-fans and former athletes (a few sports journalists sprinkled in here and there). Calmer, cooler heads will make the best decision for their campuses. The "COVID-hoax" AGS folks may not like that decision, but they'll get over it.

bluedog
August 7th, 2020, 07:26 AM
Coronavirus testing a stress threat for athletic budgets

Coastal Carolina already had one of the smaller athletic budgets in the Football Bowl Subdivision, and that was before a 15% spending cut was ordered because of projected declines in state funding and student fees stemming from the coronavirus pandemic.

Facing the prospect of having to pay for testing of returning athletes and staff for the virus this summer, athletic director Matt Hogue went to work finding a way to defray costs. His 19-sport program includes about 450 athletes, and with individual tests currently costing about $100, testing could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars by the end of the 2020-21 academic year

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/coronavirus-testing-stress-threat-athletic-budgets-71619797

I promise you, every school that proclaim that they were going to have fall football. Already knew that it wasn't financially feasible. They were just trying to play politics with Mark Emmert, while playing their gullible base at the same time. But Emmert fool them and put the ball back in their court. Preventing them from using him as a scapegoat.

ST_Lawson
August 7th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Well, then no school should be open...period. Distance learning for all kids this whole year. Stay consistent for you people.

Ideally, yes. Do all those things + everyone wearing masks and we'll have it under control very quickly.

BisonTru
August 7th, 2020, 08:28 AM

Well to be fair the only requirement to post on AGS is have an account and remember the password. But it is pretty amazing some of these folks can remember their password.

Anthony215
August 7th, 2020, 08:30 AM
If what they're saying is true and there will be a vaccination the 4th quarter of this year I say shut college football down and play spring conference schedules let the seniors go out fighting for one last title and start 2021 season in Mid September. 6 games and conference title game is suffice. Play the games in March/April.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 7th, 2020, 08:50 AM
Ideally, yes. Do all those things + everyone wearing masks and we'll have it under control very quickly.

So wearing a mask is the magical ingredient? I doubt it.

This will just go down a politics road so I'm done.

Stay consistent then. No gatherings at all. School included.

ST_Lawson
August 7th, 2020, 08:53 AM
So wearing a mask is the magical ingredient? I doubt it.

This will just go down a politics road so I'm done.

Stay consistent then. No gatherings at all. School included.

It's not "magic", it's science. Masks have been proven to reduce the spread of the disease.
And yes, no gatherings at all, school included, would be ideal.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 7th, 2020, 09:02 AM
It's not "magic", it's science. Masks have been proven to reduce the spread of the disease.
And yes, no gatherings at all, school included, would be ideal.

What a world we are in.

Laker
August 7th, 2020, 09:10 AM
Stay consistent then. No gatherings at all. Protests included.

Fixed it for you.

Schism55
August 7th, 2020, 09:10 AM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1291737147033214982

A&T AGGIE96
August 7th, 2020, 10:07 AM
These folks are mostly uber-fans and former athletes (a few sports journalists sprinkled in here and there). Calmer, cooler heads will make the best decision for their campuses. The "COVID-hoax" AGS folks may not like that decision, but they'll get over it.

Oh I’m not new to how things are on AGS. I come over here read a few threads and post every so often.

I know people who have been infected, got very sick and were hospitalized...thankfully none died.

There are still people that think COVID is an hoax...???

Really?

They stuck on stupid and are the primary reason this country can’t get this thing under control.

Redbird 4th & short
August 7th, 2020, 10:10 AM

Personal hygiene (hands and face) combined with wearing masks and social distancing when in public will go a long way towards slowing this. . I go into any store .. grocery, home depot, whatever ... I wear a mask and gloves, and avoid getting too close to others. I also use hqnd sanitizer before and after I go into that store, and avoid touching my face until I get home to wash my hands and face. I do this every time.

But we just need to listen to the scientists/doctors, and pay attention to the meaningful data. I imagine there are some pockets that may be ok to do hybrid learning for schools, where the data and trends support it. Hybrid meaning split the classes in 2 and alternate days of week, and combine in class learning with e-learning. Problem is there are a lot less of these pockets now than there were 2 months ago when our positivity rate was actually improving from about May 1 to June 15. But too many states reopened way to fast later in May. So we started another descent in mid June, and just recently plateau'd at a much higher level than our original spike ... now school starts soon to be followed by the normal flu season.

Many other countries figured this out, because they largely didn't argue about the need for this or whether this pandemic was a hoax. Below chart shows Daily New Cases per Million for U.S. vs Italy - this trend line disparity is roughly the same for all of western Europe. And I highlighted the results for June 15th when the latest spike started .. coinciding roughly with Memorial Day and the start of summer.

Note how parallel our original spike was with Italy, about 2 weeks behind Italy and most of Europe. Italy was viewed as way out of control and one of the worst hit countries at that time. We followed 2 weeks later, before we started to show improvement in positivity rates in early May .. then we got lazy, defiant, and political about this ... and it spiked even worse than our original spike.

Click the chart .. very telling story of our handling of Covid. This daily case rate disparity is same for all of western Europe. All our prosperity and medical capabilties can't stop this ... personal accountability from the top to bottomis the only thing that can contain this until we get a vaccine. Death Rates per Case have improved, so while 3% ever to date, it seems to be lower more recently. But if it is now half that (1.5% death-to-case rate) and we have twice as many cases, then we have just as many deaths. We are less than 5% of the world population, and over 25% of the cases, and just under 25% of the deaths. Remove China and Russia numbers (not believable), and we're still way out of line with rest of world. We need to do way better.

BisonTru
August 7th, 2020, 10:13 AM

More than you could possibly comprehend.

WileECoyote06
August 7th, 2020, 10:14 AM
Oh I’m not new to how things are on AGS. I come over here read a few threads and post every so often.

I know people who have been infected, got very sick and were hospitalized...thankfully none died.

Really?

They stuck on stupid and are the primary reason this country can’t get this thing under control.

I have a similar story. Several close friends, a few cousins and some colleagues have contracted the disease. Two died.

Yes, some people think it's a hoax, that (and I quote) " will magically disappear in November." People like that aren't worth engaging.

BEAR
August 7th, 2020, 10:24 AM
Wow. Politics on the football board. xcoffeex

This season can't start fast enough.

bluedog
August 7th, 2020, 10:37 AM

This season can't start fast enough.There it is again whine, whine, whine. Insert tears and fabricated complaint <here> Insert tears and fabricated complaint <here> Insert tears and fabricated complaint<here>. It never ends. xlmaox

WileECoyote06
August 7th, 2020, 10:54 AM

This season can't start fast enough.

xcoffeexSports and politics sometimes intersect.

ASU33
August 7th, 2020, 10:58 AM
If we wanted football we should've handled this A LOT better back in March, April, and May. Now it's too late. Try to get better, learn from our mistakes and get ready for 2021.

ASU33
August 7th, 2020, 11:00 AM
xcoffeexSports and politics sometimes intersect.

And people don't have a problem until the "politics" is on the opposite end of the spectrum as their's. Amazing someone complaining about the two intersecting strangely has a 45 Bison jersey as a profile pic. Ironic ain't it?

POD Knows
August 7th, 2020, 11:01 AM
xcoffeexSports and politics sometimes intersect.No kidding, I got banned from the FCS board for a while for some stuff with poli here. You are correct that politics and sports sometimes intersect and it gets hard to avoid.

jacksfan29!
August 7th, 2020, 11:04 AM
If we wanted football we should've handled this A LOT better back in March, April, and May. Now it's too late. Try to get better, learn from our mistakes and get ready for 2021.

You think you can control a virus? The most shocking thing to me is how irrational so many are. Wear a mask, young healthy athletes, and kids have very little risk. If you are obese, have underlying condition(s), are over 70, behave. The numbers, directly from the CDC clearly show that for those under that age of 25 this virus is less deadly than the flu. Over 34 and under 55? Right about as deadly as the flu. If you think you can control a virus minus a vaccine? You are clueless. The only way to control it minus a vaccine is to allow it to run through the population least at risk.

bluedog
August 7th, 2020, 11:07 AM
And people don't have a problem until the "politics" is on the opposite end of the spectrum as their's. Amazing someone complaining about the two intersecting strangely has a 45 Bison jersey as a profile pic. Ironic ain't it?It's is who they are at their core. "Do as I say not as I do." Because I'm entitled and I'll blame everything on you

POD Knows
August 7th, 2020, 11:12 AM
And people don't have a problem until the "politics" is on the opposite end of the spectrum as their's. Amazing someone complaining about the two intersecting strangely has a 45 Bison jersey as a profile pic. Ironic ain't it?The difference between the other end of the spectrum and politics on the sports boards is the "other end" gets spanked for it. I don't have a problem with a little politics on the sports board but your side of the aisle has been far more aggressive in calling out guys for poli stuff here.

ASU33
August 7th, 2020, 11:14 AM
You think you can control a virus? The most shocking thing to me is how irrational so many are. Wear a mask, young healthy athletes, and kids have very little risk. If you are obese, have underlying condition(s), are over 70, behave. The numbers, directly from the CDC clearly show that for those under that age of 25 this virus is less deadly than the flu. Over 34 and under 55? Right about as deadly as the flu. If you think you can control a virus minus a vaccine? You are clueless. The only way to control it minus a vaccine is to allow it to run through the population least at risk.

So death is the bar? We have 2 highly touted kids here in the Atlanta area who won't play this year because of the impacts of COVID-19. One is coached by a fellow SWAC alum is an All-State guy who can't even walk from his door step to the mailbox without getting winded. Kid is sleeping on a C-PAP and taking breathing treatments and doctors don't know if, when, or how he'll get back to normal. The CDC has come out "50-lem" times and said there's no herd immunity with this virus and it's still not conclusive if you can or can't catch it more than once. We had a 7 year old die yesterday from the Virus right here in our community. Those numbers and percentages sound all good when you and your family aren't in that number but ask those who have lost love ones how they feel about your percentages. Stupidity like this is why we're still dealing with this nonsense.

bluedog
August 7th, 2020, 11:36 AM
So death is the bar? We have 2 highly touted kids here in the Atlanta area who won't play this year because of the impacts of COVID-19. One is coached by a fellow SWAC alum is an All-State guy who can't even walk from his door step to the mailbox without getting winded. Kid is sleeping on a C-PAP and taking breathing treatments and doctors don't know if, when, or how he'll get back to normal. The CDC has come out "50-lem" times and said there's no herd immunity with this virus and it's still not conclusive if you can or can't catch it more than once. We had a 7 year old die yesterday from the Virus right here in our community. Those numbers and percentages sound all good when you and your family aren't in that number but ask those who have lost love ones how they feel about your percentages. Stupidity like this is why we're still dealing with this nonsense.It won't ever get any better for him. The lasting effect on a person's lungs and other inner organs are devastating and can't be reverse as the know so far. If you haven't read the article by an lsu linebacker who was lucky enough to recover from it. Please do. I agree with what you said earlier about politics not becoming a problem until it's the other side that's causing the problem. Try as hard as they like but politics are why we're in this situation. Had politics not been played we just might have had a chance at some normalcy and fall football. There's no getting around that fact.

https://twitter.com/ShannonSharpe/status/1291448986109239296?s=19

Panther88
August 7th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Hmm... the SWAC isn't a University so therefore you can't earn a SWAC degree. Seems like you could benefited by transferring to Prairie View or Texas Southern though.

Edit: I was wrong. As long as he has $$$ for his tuition, books, and lab fees, I'm sure PVAMU will do what it can to help transform his heart and mind to be a great contributing citizen to the usa and beyond.

SU DOG
August 7th, 2020, 12:53 PM
As expected

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200807120326413038104&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 7th, 2020, 01:00 PM
As expected

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200807120326413038104&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

There will not be "spring" football either IMO.

ASU33
August 7th, 2020, 01:11 PM
There will not be "spring" football either IMO.

Sadly I agree with you!

BisonTru
August 7th, 2020, 01:41 PM
Everyone is always picking on my side. xbawlingxxbawlingx

JFC, it was your buddy with the Trump/NDSU jersey as a profile pic that got bent out of shape about the politics.

Both sides do it, and get bothered by it. IDGAF, and honestly I don't have a clue how you keep this subject non-political. Covid is impacting FCS football and it's highly political. And we can agree to disagree on which side is pushing that angle cuz there ain't anyway we are going to see that from the same angle.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 7th, 2020, 02:06 PM
JFC, it was your buddy with the Trump/NDSU jersey as a profile pic that got bent out of shape about the politics.

Both sides do it, and get bothered by it. IDGAF, and honestly I don't have a clue how you keep this subject non-political. Covid is impacting FCS football and it's highly political. And we can agree to disagree on which side is pushing that angle cuz there ain't anyway we are going to see that from the same angle.

I tell you how I keep it separate from the FCS board. I simply remove the board from those that offend the rule after a few warnings.

So here is another warning to all that think they will be bringing the poli stuff on this board. Stop, or lose the board. I haven't kept up on this thread as of yet so I don't know the offenders but it's an overall warning for anyone messing with the rule at this point.

BisonTru
August 7th, 2020, 02:17 PM
I tell you how I keep it separate from the FCS board. I simply remove the board from those that offend the rule after a few warnings.

So here is another warning to all that think they will be bringing the poli stuff on this board. Stop, or lose the board. I haven't kept up on this thread as of yet so I don't know the offenders but it's an overall warning for anyone messing with the rule at this point.

Fair enough. Good luck! I'll head out.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 7th, 2020, 02:21 PM
Fair enough. Good luck! I'll head out.

If you feel like it. It has been fairly effective in cutting it down but if we can't separate then I assume those that can not probably should not attend these threads so I support anyone's choice on those matters. BTW, I was not pointing the finger at you, you normally keep that stuff out of here. I was using your post as the jump off to make the point that we might want to pull back before going down that road. I was not aiming it at you.xthumbsupx

uni88
August 7th, 2020, 02:36 PM

If someone is intent on diving into the political end it isn't difficult to start a COVID & College Football thread on the Poly Board.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 7th, 2020, 02:50 PM
If someone is intent on diving into the political end it isn't difficult to start a COVID & College Football thread on the Poly Board.

Dead ****ing on. I've made a similar point many times. I've even redirected replies I wanted to make over to that board...or at least The Lounge.

Redbird 4th & short
August 7th, 2020, 07:42 PM

Well, you should check out most of Europe and some other continents .. they figured it out. We're the outlier. And this is why we're here talking about whether there will be playoffs, or even a full season. It doesn't have to be political .. just keep it factual and objective. The numbers say what they say .. that is entire basis for my opinions about this football season. FBS P5 might salvage something because they can still make a lot of TV revenue .... not so much for G5, FCS, and below.

Redbird 4th & short
August 7th, 2020, 07:50 PM
Well, you should check out most of Europe and some other continents .. they figured it out. We're the outlier. And this is why we're here talking about whether there will be playoffs, or even a full season. It doesn't have to be political .. just keep it factual and objective. The numbers say what they say .. that is entire basis for my opinions about this football season. FBS P5 might salvage something because they can still make a lot of TV revenue .... not so much for G5, FCS, and below.

And just saw strong rumors that MVFC will cancel fall, and try to do in spring ... nothing official yet. I'm sure this was picked up by many other already. Smart move if true IMO.

https://www.valleynewslive.com/2020/08/07/report-missouri-valley-football-conference-to-postpone-football-to-spring/

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 7th, 2020, 07:58 PM

You cannot say they "have figured it out" yet. This virus could still sweep across other continents.

Laker
August 7th, 2020, 09:24 PM
It is official. MVFC moves conference games to spring.

https://valley-football.org/news/2020/8/7/football-mvfc-update-on-fall-2020-season.aspx

lionsrking2
August 7th, 2020, 09:56 PM
You cannot say they "have figured it out" yet. This virus could still sweep across other continents.

They have indeed figured it out. Whether they have the discipline and will to stay the course until a vaccine is available is another matter.

Redbird 4th & short
August 8th, 2020, 06:05 AM
very well and succinctly put .. were just in containment mode until there is a vaccine.

A&T AGGIE96
August 8th, 2020, 06:06 AM
I like football as much as the next fan, why can’t folks just accept that the 2020 season is lost?

Folk wanna play scaled down seasons...move games to the spring...we trying to get through a once in a life time event (hopefully) a world wide global pandemic...a plague where the US is a world leader in cases and deaths.

It’s a wrap...season is over...all we can do is work hard to get this thing under control and plan for 2021.

unknown3
August 8th, 2020, 08:06 AM

Plenty of countries have done an excellent job controlling it via masks and social distancing. South Korea has less than 300 deaths. Had it been handled the way it should've been we wouldn't be anywhere near 100k dead right now. But that's neither here nor there. What it ISN'T is debatable.

Redbird 4th & short
August 8th, 2020, 08:08 AM
Agreed in part .. look at Brazil, theyre way out of control because they took our approach and they're president flaunted not wearing a mask, but then he caught Covid .. and Brazil is right up there with us. But there's a pattern for which countries & states are struggling the most right now, if we're willing to be honest and factual about this resurgence. But just because you can't stop it completely, doesn't mean you don't do what you can to contain it until there is a vaccine. But the EU has figured it out and their resurgence is a small fraction of what the U. S. is experience .. see the chart below.

The U.S. population is 330m. The European Union is 440m, so 33% larger than us. Attacjed is the Daily New Case Count chart comparing the two. The EU (blue line) had nearly identical trajectory the fist month, but then look what happened. The EU very quckly dropped in April-May and stayed there, and are currently seeing a very modest resurgence. The US (red line) saw only modest improvement from mid April to mid June, then quickly took off, mostly due to southern states from FL to TX and AZ. And it finally leveled off the last couple weeks.

But look at the disparity since mid June when it resurged. We're now nearly 10x the case count as the EU, despite EU being 33% larger population. None of this is per Capita, so here's that Daily Cases per Milllion calculation for the last day recorded on attached:

- U.S. 65,000 daily cases / 330m = 197 Cases per Million
- EU 7,500 daily cases / 440m = 17 Cases per Million

So the U.S. had 11 times as many Covid Cases per Million as the EU on July 31st. So if the chart showd per capita, the gap would be 33% bigger because EU is 33% bigger.

We have a serious problem, that we are not solving like others have.

Edit: the EU is the Blue Line, the US is the Red Line

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2020, 08:11 AM
I like football as much as the next fan, why can’t folks just accept that the 2020 season is lost?

There is a lot of pressure coming from ESPN to drive content. Disney lost $4.7 billion in the quarter and not having football will continue the cord-cutting that's the deathknell of ESPN's cable model.

The other issue is that major college programs make more on football than NCAA basketball and that money can't be made up in 2021.

unknown3
August 8th, 2020, 08:13 AM
Agreed in part .. look at Brazil, theyre way out of control because they took our approach and they're president flaunted not wearing a mask, but then he caught Covid .. and Brazil is right up there with us. But there's a pattern for which countries & states are struggling the most right now, if we're willing to be honest and factual about this resurgence. But just because you can't stop it completely, doesn't mean you don't do what you can to contain it until there is a vaccine. But the EU has figured it out and their resurgence is a small fraction of what the U. S. is experience .. see the chart below.

The U.S. population is 330m. The European Union is 440m, so 33% larger than us. Attacjed is the Daily New Case Count chart comparing the two. The EU had nearly identical trajectory the fist month, but then look what happened. The EU very quckly dropped the 2nd month and stayed there, and are currently seeing a very modest resurgence. The US saw only modest improvement from mid April to mid June, then quickly took off, mostly due to southern states from FL to TX and AZ. And it finally leveled off the last couple weeks.

But look at the disparity since mid June when it resurged. We're now nearly 10x the case count as the EU, despite EU being 33% larger population. None of this is per Capita, so here's that Daily Cases per Milllion calculation for the last day recorded on attached:

So the U.S. had 11 times as many Covid Cases per Million as the EU on July 31st. So if the chart showd per capita, the gap would be 33% bigger because EU is 33% bigger.

The name of the game is capitalism. The US cares more about their money making corporations than they do about the people... thus the rush to reopen long before they should've. Cutting off unemployment because they "don't want people living off the system" but ignoring the millions out of work. It was never about the people... and they never would've shut down at all if they could've gotten around it. That's the difference between the US and the rest of the world.. money over everything. Same as pretty much all of the first world nations have taken care of their people monthly since this started and we've been giving one half ass stimulus... that was ONLY given to spend out to corporations. I wonder if this is what it meant for the country to be "great"... im out though before the bans come.

Panther88
August 8th, 2020, 08:27 AM

The U.S. population is 330m. The European Union is 440m, so 33% larger than us. Attacjed is the Daily New Case Count chart comparing the two. The EU (blue line) had nearly identical trajectory the fist month, but then look what happened. The EU very quckly dropped in April-May and stayed there, and are currently seeing a very modest resurgence. The US (red line) saw only modest improvement from mid April to mid June, then quickly took off, mostly due to southern states from FL to TX and AZ. And it finally leveled off the last couple weeks.

Who is this "we" you fictitiously speak of? xconfusedx Do you mean potus and its unintelligent, mentally incapable list of advisors regarding advisory and policy of covid45 in america?

Elvis was a Bison
August 8th, 2020, 09:35 AM
Who is this "we" you fictitiously speak of? xconfusedx Do you mean potus and its unintelligent, mentally incapable list of advisors regarding advisory and policy of covid45 in america?

Ursus,

This is the **** that doesn't belong here and this is the kind of ****bird that needs a whack with the ban-hammer.

Redbird 4th & short
August 8th, 2020, 09:58 AM

These are the EU countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

BEAR
August 8th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Ursus,

This is the **** that doesn't belong here and this is the kind of ****bird that needs a whack with the ban-hammer.

Thank you! I second that!

Redbird 4th & short
August 8th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Plenty of countries have done an excellent job controlling it via masks and social distancing. South Korea has less than 300 deaths. Had it been handled the way it should've been we wouldn't be anywhere near 100k dead right now. But that's neither here nor there. What it ISN'T is debatable.
agree, but 164k deaths.

A&T AGGIE96
August 8th, 2020, 10:35 AM
There is a lot of pressure coming from ESPN to drive content. Disney lost $4.7 billion in the quarter and not having football will continue the cord-cutting that's the deathknell of ESPN's cable model.

The other issue is that major college programs make more on football than NCAA basketball and that money can't be made up in 2021.

I can see that as a factor for the Power 5...they gonna do what they want and got the cash to do it.

FCS however...we don't have cash, tv deals, and nobody is watching anyway.

No point risking it.

Hammersmith
August 8th, 2020, 11:03 AM

There is a small chance the P5 might have a fall season, but even that's shrinking by the hour. The MAC just cancelled. They're the first G5 conference to quit but they won't be the last. Rumor is that there's growing pressure within the Big Ten to push to spring. Word from the Big 12 is that they'll push to spring if the Big Ten does. But my bet is the the Pac 12 beats them both to the punch. SEC will likely be the last to give up, but I don't even think they'll hold out.

In the five days since the NCAA announcement, we've seen 100% of DIII shut down, 100% of DII shut down, ~75% and growing of FCS shut down, and 10% of FBS shut down. What will the next five days bring?

WestCoastAggie
August 8th, 2020, 11:55 AM
There is a small chance the P5 might have a fall season, but even that's shrinking by the hour. The MAC just cancelled. They're the first G5 conference to quit but they won't be the last. Rumor is that there's growing pressure within the Big Ten to push to spring. Word from the Big 12 is that they'll push to spring if the Big Ten does. But my bet is the the Pac 12 beats them both to the punch. SEC will likely be the last to give up, but I don't even think they'll hold out.

In the five days since the NCAA announcement, we've seen 100% of DIII shut down, 100% of DII shut down, ~75% and growing of FCS shut down, and 10% of FBS shut down. What will the next five days bring?

The realization that we're in a pandemic and it doesn't make sense to play football while we're in this thing?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2020, 03:06 PM
Thank you! I second that!

It's been addressed.

JacksFan40
August 8th, 2020, 04:57 PM
At this point this thread is better off on the political board. It seems like it’s nearly impossible to discuss it without politics being brought in.

Hammersmith
August 8th, 2020, 08:56 PM
The realization that we're in a pandemic and it doesn't make sense to play football while we're in this thing?

Agreed, of course. I've been expecting for months the fall season to be cancelled/postponed. But exactly how it goes down is always interesting. Will it be a trickle or a flood? Who will go first at each level and who goes last? Do they drag it out or make the decision quickly? It's all interesting. Biggest surprise to me lately was the MAC cancelling today. Not that they were the first, but because they did it on a weekend; I expected the vote to be held Monday. I was also fascinated to hear that the president of NIU has a background in infectious disease and was going to cancel their fall season no matter what the rest of the MAC decided(he's been pushing the other MAC presidents to cancel for weeks). The NCAA decision Wednesday on testing requirements was enough to push the other MAC presidents over the edge.

Ivytalk
August 9th, 2020, 07:07 AM

According to the talking heads on ESPN Radio yesterday, the whole college FB fall season will be cancelled by next weekend.

ASU33
August 9th, 2020, 08:18 AM
According to the talking heads on ESPN Radio yesterday, the whole college FB fall season will be cancelled by next weekend.

I told you guys this back in July. P5 powers that be knew that wouldn't be a season. They knew that the chances were slim and none but decided to keep feeding fans red meat to keep hopes and donations going. Also there was strategy to this too. Many feared that calling a quits too early would cause draftable players to call it a quits early and cause others to hit the portal. Several media outlets wrote about this. College football KNEW we were in pandemic and there was no plan because we had time. It's like they expected the virus to be up and gone just because we have a passion for football. There was no plan and they didn't bother to even attempt one until the 11th hour.

dgtw
August 9th, 2020, 08:35 AM
The longer they wait to cancel, the longer the season ticket money stays in their bank account earning interest.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 9th, 2020, 09:14 AM
The longer they wait to cancel, the longer the season ticket money stays in their bank account earning interest.

Well interest is not too great anyway but I get your point.

Laker
August 9th, 2020, 09:42 AM

Watch what the BIG does. If they go, so will the 12 PAC. If the SEC goes that will be all over.

TSUsupporter
August 9th, 2020, 05:13 PM

Folk wanna play scaled down seasons...move games to the spring...we trying to get through a once in a life time event (hopefully) a world wide global pandemic...a plague where the US is a world leader in cases and deaths.

It’s a wrap...season is over...all we can do is work hard to get this thing under control and plan for 2021.

Because it's proving what the real motivation behind all of this is. And we all know it.

MONEY.

If it didn't cost so much to keep testing kids on a regular basis, and if the cost of travel wasn't so great for these lesser conferences that are much more spread out, they all would play.

It'l be very interesting to see if the OVC, Big South, Southern and Southland will cancel their seasons this week. Because of right now, those schools could all possibly pull off playing the season, seeing how close in proximity most of those schools are to each other.

The other wild card for those schools is this.

While the Big 10 and SEC are playing conference only schedules, Conference USA is playing an 8 conference - 4 out of conference schedule. This means that they may fill a good chunk of their schedules with FCS teams, specifically those teams whose schedule got impacted by the decisions of other FCS conferences, the Big 10, and the SEC. Conference USA, specifically, secured a decent sized TV contract with the NFL Network to show games. If another FBS conference decides to call it quits, it SHOULD be the Sun Belt. But like with Conference USA, if the Sun Belt wants to fill games that they lost, there's still enough FCS teams at the moment to fill 1 or 2 of those slots.

Bisonoline
August 9th, 2020, 05:18 PM
Well interest is not too great anyway but I get your point.

Its really about trying to see if there is a fall off of cases and to keep the ticket revenue flowing in. After they have the money they can then dictate the terms of how the money is to be refunded, credited or not.

Penn State pissed all over their shoes.

Mocs123
August 9th, 2020, 07:18 PM
If we don't play football in 2020, what do we do with the athletes eligibility and scholarships? I assume that the 2020 season will not affect eligibility and that a junior in 2020 will be a junior in 2021 without having to use a redshirt year. Is this correct?

Also, assuming that the 2020 seniors get to come back for 2021, if we still only have 63 scholorships, what do schools do? Do that not bring in a freshman class? Do they process kids out of the program?

TSUsupporter
August 9th, 2020, 07:40 PM
Very interesting comments on the website promoting the FCS Kickoff Classic between Austin Peay and Central Arkansas

https://www.guardiankickoffclassic.com/covid-19/

https://prod5.agileticketing.net/websales/pages/TicketSearchCriteria.aspx?evtinfo=126209~0fa991b2-8529-483d-a703-cd90e3682405&epguid=f3a48030-bfb5-4e6b-9b64-35b11df423b2&

I live in Clarksville, TN ( home of Austin Peay ) . . . and while the team did have a COVID concern of their own about 5 weeks ago, they're still preparing like the season is going to go on. And if that website about the Kickoff Classic is correct, they may plan to even put a limited amount of people in the stands. If I get a chance in the next few days, I need to ride by the stadium to see if I can see signs of the university visually trying to set up social distancing rules in and outside of the stadium.

Remember folks, NASCAR held an event a few weeks ago in Bristol, TN, that had 20,000+ in the stands . . . or about 15% capacity of what Bristol Raceway's capacity. So far, this has been the only event with a significant number of fans in attendance.

I truly believe that the South,are not only going to encourage their universities to play, they're going to put people in the stands. And they're going to put disclaimers on the tickets, like what you saw on the website for the Kickoff Classic.

Honestly, despite the COVID numbers going up, there is no real sense of urgency in the South. Individual mayors are doing what they need to do, by closing nightclubs at certain times of night, and mandating mask wearing. But the schools are about to open, and high school football is still planning to be played in most Southern states.

Bisonoline
August 9th, 2020, 07:48 PM
If we don't play football in 2020, what do we do with the athletes eligibility and scholarships? I assume that the 2020 season will not affect eligibility and that a junior in 2020 will be a junior in 2021 without having to use a redshirt year. Is this correct?

Also, assuming that the 2020 seniors get to come back for 2021, if we still only have 63 scholorships, what do schools do? Do that not bring in a freshman class? Do they process kids out of the program?

Im going to assume that as well. But we must remember the the NCAA isnt blessed with the same common sense as the rest of us.

grayghost06
August 9th, 2020, 07:59 PM
At this point this thread is better off on the political board. It seems like it’s nearly impossible to discuss it without politics being brought in.

Never knew such a board existed. But since we've had so many ***** stirrers lately, and threads were moved there, I did go check it out. What an embarrassment. Will never return there.

ST_Lawson
August 9th, 2020, 10:56 PM
Never knew such a board existed. But since we've had so many ***** stirrers lately, and threads were moved there, I did go check it out. What an embarrassment. Will never return there.

Every now and then I stray, but for the most part...

https://i.imgur.com/QRr0atD.jpg

WestCoastAggie
August 9th, 2020, 11:24 PM

🤣🤣🤣

Redbird 4th & short
August 11th, 2020, 09:11 AM

all too true ... zero is accomplished posting on poli board, but I fully get and support it's existence. I appreciate Ursus handling of political stuff that slips too far from actual topics.

Laker
August 11th, 2020, 02:20 PM
BIG is out now. 41 FBS schools have cancelled. What is the next group out? I'd say the Pac-12. Someone wrote that this is good for the FCS so they can maybe play some OOC games, but I'm not sure if spring season will be long enough for that.

https://bigten.org/news/2020/8/11/general-big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

Hammersmith
August 11th, 2020, 02:22 PM
BIG is out now. 41 FBS schools have cancelled. What is the next group out? I'd say the Pac-12.

https://bigten.org/news/2020/8/11/general-big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

Definitely the Pac-12. In just a couple/few hours. They're supposed to be meeting right now.

dgtw
August 11th, 2020, 09:14 PM
The Pac-12 is out. That makes 53 leaving just 77 FBS teams playing.

If there is a season some FCS games could make it on TV just because the networks need games.

Laker
August 12th, 2020, 09:02 AM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/117655802_10158568562784699_3549410208064683050_n. png?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=6FEFca1aRKUAX9rfvlU&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=d4ae9c4245491e4bf5930fa0dfd1b36c&oe=5F599372

Laker
August 12th, 2020, 09:09 AM
And as soon as I post the Big South moves football to the spring!

http://bigsouthsports.com/news/2020/8/11/general-big-south-announces-decision-on-fall-sport-seasons.aspx

skinny_uncle
August 12th, 2020, 12:31 PM
I had the same thought about TV.

Hammersmith
August 12th, 2020, 12:46 PM
Going beyond just football, aren't we right at 50% for all DI fall sports? I saw somewhere that we were at 15/32 conferences that have cancelled/postponed, and that was before the Big South announcement, I think. Coincidentally, it might turn out to be the Big Sky that puts us over the threshold again.

gofurman
August 12th, 2020, 10:00 PM
Im going to assume that as well. But we must remember the the NCAA isnt blessed with the same common sense as the rest of us.

This is going to be a mess across the board. If Seniors return (having not used their scholly) then incoming Freshman will have to go elsewhere. It will be a logjam of craziness. You can't bring in 15 new scholarship players if no one leaves. I think the NCAA already said the current players can keep their scholarships if the teams don't play this year..

Bisonoline
August 12th, 2020, 10:11 PM
This is going to be a mess across the board. If Seniors return (having not used their scholly) then incoming Freshman will have to go elsewhere. It will be a logjam of craziness. You can't bring in 15 new scholarship players if no one leaves. I think the NCAA already said the current players can keep their scholarships if the teams don't play this year..

The NCAA will just have to make allowances with waivers. Its the only way to not screw the players over. But this is going to cost the schools more money.

bluedog
August 13th, 2020, 06:33 AM
Seems like another lovely day
https://media2.giphy.com/media/3oKIP8kNuTJJL3zT0I/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7am2ql5ri1awwgjmw0jd6n2usu7eh vyybr2pvibwt&rid=giphy.gif

WestCoastAggie
August 13th, 2020, 08:13 AM

I think the NCAA will help schools pay for the Super Seniors that return as they are with Baseball.

bluedog
August 14th, 2020, 09:54 AM
https://youtu.be/UW-cRj-DQR8

KPSUL
August 15th, 2020, 05:01 PM
https://youtu.be/UW-cRj-DQR8

It seems like Mike Greenberg knows absolutely nothing about FCS football.

bluedog
August 15th, 2020, 05:04 PM
It seems like Mike Greenberg knows absolutely nothing about FCS football.How so?