PDA

View Full Version : CSN: Non-Scholly football: "The Vision Thing"

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM
Exclusive commentary that you won't find anywhere else about the non-scholly conference.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86333

Non-scholarship football is a part of the Division I Football Championship Subdivision that is frequently misunderstood, sometimes misrepresented, and sometimes even has teams worthy of national rankings.

This tumultuous week – which featured the death of one football conference and the birth of a single, unified home for Division I non-scholarship football – has led to fundamental changes for this part of FCS.

Importantly, most of these changes are not ones of realignment, but ones of vision.

DetroitFlyer
June 21st, 2007, 09:28 AM
Nice summary. It is still frustrating for those of us in the non-scholly world to still have no "vision" for where we want to go.... Although Patty V may be an advocate of non-scholly ball, I can certainly see why St. Petes may have decided to pack it in after seeing what was on the table.... There are fundamental reasons why non-scholarship football is not thriving, and this conference does not seem to have addressed a single one of them.... A "championship game" played on or about the same time as the FCS championship would be a mistake IMHO. The only viable solution for the long term survival of non-scholarship football is to work to become a viable part of FCS. How?, by obtaining an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs for the champion. This should be, "in theory" a bit easier, now that it looks like only one non-scholarship conference is going to survive. Maybe the PFL Championship game is a "play-in" game to the FCS playoffs. If the PFL insists on trying to keep an isolated, unique, and most importantly, separate division within a division in the FCS football world, it will not be long before the PFL follows the MAAC IMO. The PFL is never going to thrive by being the only NCAA sport, outside of FBS, that has no access to the playoffs! Yeah, I have heard it all before, you are TECHNICALLY eligible.... That technical eligibility has not helped the PFL in its 14 years of existance, and it certainly did not help the MAAC. It drove the NEC to a partial scholly conference and at this point, they are still left wanting. I plan to share my vision for the future of the PFL with Patty and my AD. It may fall on deaf ears, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Player19
June 21st, 2007, 10:08 AM
First, I just joined this board and I am very impressed with the amount of knowledge out there. Second, as a Lasalle fan, I hope they make the commitment and join the PFL. Like anything else it's going to take a commitment from the Administration...

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2007, 10:25 AM
First, I just joined this board and I am very impressed with the amount of knowledge out there. Second, as a Lasalle fan, I hope they make the commitment and join the PFL. Like anything else it's going to take a commitment from the Administration...

Hey, great to see a LaSalle fan here! I think you're the first!

I hope that LaSalle keeps football and joins the PFL as well. Do you think there's any chance they could step up and go with grants-in-aid or partial scholarships? I'm thinking not...

Player19
June 21st, 2007, 10:29 AM
I don't know the exact numbers but it will depend on what Iona & Marist do. If they join the PFL then there would be 2 divisions and cut down on the travel costs. If they joined the PFL without those schools the travel would be immense and at that point you'd have to consider the costs of travel v. the cost of scholarships in the NEC.

The one thing about the NEC is that they would have to fund more scholarships to the women's sports. I don't see them doing that. I think the PFL will be the choice.

Also LFN, you have a nice blog going...

Model Citizen
June 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM
I also think they'll end up in the PFL.

With Campbell, Marist, Iona, and La Salle added to the PFL, what would be the divisional split? I'm thinking new schools plus Davidson and Jacksonville would be one division.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2007, 10:37 AM
I don't know the exact numbers but it will depend on what Iona & Marist do. If they join the PFL then there would be 2 divisions and cut down on the travel costs. If they joined the PFL without those schools the travel would be immense and at that point you'd have to consider the costs of travel v. the cost of scholarships in the NEC.

The one thing about the NEC is that they would have to fund more scholarships to the women's sports. I don't see them doing that. I think the PFL will be the choice.

Also LFN, you have a nice blog going...

Thanks for the props.

Yeah, Title IX does always loom over any sort of decision on football, whether talking about grants-in-aid (Patriot League) or scholarships (NEC). Of course you're not mandated to fund full grants or full scholarships (for example, Georgetown doesn't fund more than 40 total grants and I don't think St. Francis funds their full allotment of scholarships), but it's hard to see how teams can realistically compete for championships without getting over a certain level.

It's not an easy decision for Marist, Iona, or LaSalle and I think many folks are wondering where they're going to go. I'll probably post on my blog later today some more speculation.

Player19
June 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM
The good thing is that money has been invested in the program and the coach is a very energetic guy. So the program won't be going anywhere as its just a matter of deciding the league situation.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
The good thing is that money has been invested in the program and the coach is a very energetic guy. So the program won't be going anywhere as its just a matter of deciding the league situation.

Hope you're right! Saw a game last year at renovated McCarthy stadium and I thought it was a good time! I think football can thrive there.

andy7171
June 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
Wow! A LaSalle fan! Rare indeed! My brother-in-law played football at LaSalle in the late 90's. Ever hear of John Ruddy? I think he played DE or DT.

Player19
June 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Yes, but I think he only played the first year they brought football back...

andy7171
June 21st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Yes, but I think he only played the first year they brought football back...
Yeah, I know he had a knee problem that might have kept him out for an extended time.

lizrdgizrd
June 21st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Nice summary. It is still frustrating for those of us in the non-scholly world to still have no "vision" for where we want to go.... Although Patty V may be an advocate of non-scholly ball, I can certainly see why St. Petes may have decided to pack it in after seeing what was on the table.... There are fundamental reasons why non-scholarship football is not thriving, and this conference does not seem to have addressed a single one of them.... A "championship game" played on or about the same time as the FCS championship would be a mistake IMHO. The only viable solution for the long term survival of non-scholarship football is to work to become a viable part of FCS. How?, by obtaining an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs for the champion. This should be, "in theory" a bit easier, now that it looks like only one non-scholarship conference is going to survive. Maybe the PFL Championship game is a "play-in" game to the FCS playoffs. If the PFL insists on trying to keep an isolated, unique, and most importantly, separate division within a division in the FCS football world, it will not be long before the PFL follows the MAAC IMO. The PFL is never going to thrive by being the only NCAA sport, outside of FBS, that has no access to the playoffs! Yeah, I have heard it all before, you are TECHNICALLY eligible.... That technical eligibility has not helped the PFL in its 14 years of existance, and it certainly did not help the MAAC. It drove the NEC to a partial scholly conference and at this point, they are still left wanting. I plan to share my vision for the future of the PFL with Patty and my AD. It may fall on deaf ears, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
By all means encourage PattyV and your AD to do what is necessary for PFL teams to make the playoffs! We (well most of us) want to see PFL teams earn their way into the playoffs not schedule themselves out of them. With two divisions in the PFL it would offer the opportunity for your teams to schedule games with other FCS teams with lower travel costs than games against current PFL members across the country. I think that is the opportunity that the PFL needs to grasp in order to bring that SOS up and be invited to the playoffs. Let them hear you! xthumbsupx

faxjusfax
June 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM
Hey, great to see a LaSalle fan here! I think you're the first!

Been here for a few years, suffering the slings and arrows of some of the "elitist" out there.

But welcome, Player!

Mr. C
June 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Chuck Burton did an excellent job with this column. He has a very good handle on the issue. Great work, Chuck!