PDA

View Full Version : APP ADDS SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN

cirnite
June 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Appalachian State! Quavian Lewis told ASU coaches on Tuesday before leaving from his official visit that he will be joining the App State football team. After the coaching staff reaffirmed on Tuesday that Lewis had a scholarship offer to join the team, Lewis informed them he wanted to be a Mountaineer. After only spending 15 days at defensive end, Lewis left a huge impression on the Vandy staff after notching 3 sacks and a pass deflection in the spring game. He has a great attitude and will be a great fit with ASU.

http://http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2484&tid=96109293&mid=96109293&sid=1187&style=2

T-Dog
June 21st, 2007, 05:48 AM
Hopefully if he's good he'll come in and EARN his spot.

That makes two transfers this year, oddly enough both SEC D-Linemen.

Mr. C
June 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM
Your link is screwed up and after taking some stuff out, it leads you to a subscription site, not a story.

Mr. C
June 21st, 2007, 05:55 AM

The biggest need that App State had to fill was for depth on the defensive line. Between the two transfers and the youngsters they brought in, I think the Mountaineers addressed that.

AppMan
June 21st, 2007, 06:25 AM
Your link is screwed up and after taking some stuff out, it leads you to a subscription site, not a story.

That is by design. You must join the service before having access to it. BTW, Rivals material is copyrighted and is not be copied and posted anywhere else.

BTW, he played linebacker at Vandy, but knowing how Wiley likes speedy guys on the edges, he may wind up there.

bluehenbillk
June 21st, 2007, 06:45 AM
Vanderbilt is still in the SEC?? xsmiley_wix

Mr. C
June 21st, 2007, 06:51 AM
That is by design. You must join the service before having access to it. BTW, Rivals material is copyrighted and is not be copied and posted anywhere else.

The point is don't post a link for a subscription service. On ANY copyrighted material (nearly ALL newspaper stuff is copyrighted) you CAN post an excerpt.

Mr. C
June 21st, 2007, 06:55 AM
BTW, he played linebacker at Vandy, but knowing how Wiley likes speedy guys on the edges, he may wind up there.

ASU has solid starters across the DL. Gary Tharrington and Tony Robertson are the starters at DE. But they do have a starting spot available at outside linebacker to replace the talented Monte Smith.

cirnite
June 21st, 2007, 07:01 AM
Thank you for the copyright usage explanation. I was just trying to provide the source for my thread.

asu3peat
June 21st, 2007, 07:30 AM

Good to see he's an excellent student, 3.7 gpa back in high school. Received an offer from Stanford. I hope these SEC'ers can prove themselves on the practice field. All this competition for playing time should make everyone better!!!

B&G
June 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM
ASU has solid starters across the DL. Gary Tharrington and Tony Robertson are the starters at DE. But they do have a starting spot available at outside linebacker to replace the talented Monte Smith.

Is Robertson so entrenched that someone couldn't take the starting spot from him?

already123
June 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM
is this just going to be another spot that was GIVEN to a transfer or what??

KiddBrewer
June 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
are you referring to appalachian?, because i dont believe thats the case here.

already123
June 21st, 2007, 12:05 PM
yes, i am

AZGrizFan
June 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM
Good to see he's an excellent student, 3.7 gpa back in high school. Received an offer from Stanford. I hope these SEC'ers can prove themselves on the practice field. All this competition for playing time should make everyone better!!!

xeekx xeekx xeekx And he chose VANDERBILT? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Unless this fella plans on playing on Sundays, he apparently doesn't realize the power of having "Stanford" on your resume. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

already123
June 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM
hey hey now, its not like Vandy is a push over...they have stand up education over there as well...

MplsBison
June 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Is he transferring because of playing time or is it academics (no offense to ASU, Vandy is tough I hear)?

CharlestonAppFan
June 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Vandy is regarded as one of the best academic schools in the South, along side Duke, Wake, Stanford, the Ivies, etc...

SirApp
June 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Is he transferring because of playing time or is it academics (no offense to ASU, Vandy is tough I hear)?

My belief is that he wasn't getting along well with the coaches at Vandy and possibly, upset at a position change from LB to DE. I don't think it had to do with academics at all.

AndrewFU21
June 21st, 2007, 01:09 PM
The rich get richer I guess. Interesting to think that this guy played for Bobby Johnson at co. at Vandy. How many years does he have left?

asu3peat
June 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM
The rich get richer I guess. Interesting to think that this guy played for Bobby Johnson at co. at Vandy. How many years does he have left?

I believe he is a (RS) sophomore and from what I've read, he's not having any off the field troubles (i.e. accademically, arrests or otherwise) according to his old high school coach.

SirApp
June 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Defensive end Quavian Lewis, a standout in Vanderbilt’s spring football game this year, is one of three players who is no longer with the team, coach Bobby Johnson said Wednesday.

Lewis was the star of VU’s annual Black & Gold game, recording three sacks and a pass deflection as a second-string defensive end. He was expected to provide key reserve help this fall.

Johnson also announced that defensive back Marquez Hall and wide receiver Steven Goulet are no longer with the team. Both were redshirted as freshmen in 2007.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=56796

Mountaineer#96
June 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM
ESPN will be really happy come playoff time!!!!!!! More FBS transfers to talk about!!

Happy to have him here, sounds like a decent player and guy. What I do know is, if he is looking to start this year John Wiley will make him work for it, without question.

SirApp
June 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
And yea, he is a RS Sophomore this year.

Mountaineer#96
June 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't knock Vandy, that is a very hard school to get into and has a very high reputation. They might not be the best at football, but they are on the rise in the SEC. I'm pretty sure many people didn't see Wake Forest (a school very much like Vandy) taking the ACC this past year.

Saint3333
June 21st, 2007, 03:44 PM
is this just going to be another spot that was GIVEN to a transfer or what??

Transfers to ASU aren't guaranteed anything. Neither one of the 2 Wake Forest brothers started opening day when they transferred in 3 years ago. The WVU CB transfer didn't even play last year.

I may need some help me from some ASU fans, can anyone remember any transfer that come in a started for ASU on opening day?

Mountaineer#96
June 21st, 2007, 04:00 PM
within the past four years I can think of only Julian Rauch.......he won out the kicking duties over the summer after he transfered in 2004 from East Carolina.

Mountaineer#96
June 22nd, 2007, 09:14 AM
I expect us to have many more transfers now that our name is out. Guys would rather be a first teamer on a FCS team that can win games, than a second teamer on a FBS school that is struggling.

AppMan
June 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM
My belief is that he wasn't getting along well with the coaches at Vandy and possibly, upset at a position change from LB to DE. I don't think it had to do with academics at all.

According to what I have read he was actually quite happy with the move to DE. It gave him the prospect of getting on the field more. Sometimes things just don't work out for any number of reasons. He did make a reference to the style of defense ASU plays and how we use DE's as basically outside LB's who's main responsibility is to get to the QB. Judging from the comments he realizes this will not be a free ride and any position must be earned on the field. He spoke about coming in early and working hard to earn the respect of the current players. He specifically said just because he came from an SEC school he did not expect to be treated any different than anyone else. It appears the kid really has his head screwed on straight.

AppMan
June 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Transfers to ASU aren't guaranteed anything. Neither one of the 2 Wake Forest brothers started opening day when they transferred in 3 years ago. The WVU CB transfer didn't even play last year.

I may need some help me from some ASU fans, can anyone remember any transfer that come in a started for ASU on opening day?

You are right on the money Saint. HS All American & NC HS Player of the Year Michael Ramsuer was unable to unseat starter Joe Best after transferring from NC State. The only start he made at ASU was when Joe sat out a game due to injury. As talented as Pierre Banks is it has taken him two years to crack the starting lineup.

danefan
June 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM

Sweet avatar. Where'd you find that or did you make it?

Black Saturday
June 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
I expect us to have many more transfers now that our name is out. Guys would rather be a first teamer on a FCS team that can win games, than a second teamer on a FBS school that is struggling.

If we only could get Aramis Hillary to understand this.:D

GreatAppSt
June 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
The rich get richer I guess.

:D xnodx xnodx xnodx :D xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx

AndrewFU21
June 22nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Sweet avatar. Where'd you find that or did you make it?

Thanks man, somebody made it for me a while back. Unfortunately, I do not know how it was made.