PDA

View Full Version : SLC Expansion Article

arkstfan
August 17th, 2005, 04:32 PM
The Caller in Corpus Christi has an article with a headline where the SLC commissioner says its time to make a decision on expansion. I didn't register so I know nothing beyond that.

Sly Fox
August 17th, 2005, 05:18 PM
http://www.caller.com/ccct/islanders/article/0,1641,CCCT_820_4008754,00.html

Southland commissioner: It's time to make a decision
A&M-Corpus Christi, Cent. Arkansas vying for spot in conference

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
August 17, 2005

The time is now to make a decision on where the Southland Conference expansion plan is heading.

That's the reaction of conference commissioner Tom Burnett Tuesday after he received the response packages from Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Central Arkansas. After both schools hosted site visits in July, a series of concerns and issues were raised for each school. Their responses were received by the Monday deadline.

"I did take some time and look them over," Burnett said of the responses. "They certainly sent what we asked. I received everything and turned around and sent it to the (university) presidents for them to examine. They should have it in hand in the next couple of days."

Concerns raised about A&M-Corpus Christi were upgrading on-campus facilities, a timeline for possibly starting a football program and potential scheduling conflicts for conference basketball games at the American Bank Center. Among the issues raised at Central Arkansas - which already fields a football team - is a plan and timeline for the university's move from Division II status to Division I.

Burnett said the next step is to set up a conference call with all the Southland presidents. The commissioner is aiming for early September as a target time for the call. ...

Contact Lee Goddard at 886-3613 or HYPERLINK mailto:[email protected] [email protected]

TexasTerror
August 17th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Props to the conference for sticking to the timeframe they've said they would from day one...

arkstfan
August 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM
UCA's president was a long time politician. He's not going to burn bridges with the Gulf South until he knows he can get across and he's not going to lock UCA into a move to I-AA until UCA has a conference home.

TAMUCC having some facility issues is no suprise. The program is so new that it has to be expected. Their start-up has been impressive to me. They seem to have their head screwed on right. The Southland needs TAMUCC in basketball, getting a chance to heckle "Leisure Suit" Ronnie Arrow will help attendance around the league.