PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky commish, loss of non-conf games "kick in the teeth"

JALMOND
July 23rd, 2020, 05:38 PM
Tom Wistrcill on OLive columnist John Canzano's radio show, called the loss of the Pac-12 money games "a kick in the teeth" and that the Big Sky should have been given the opportunity to meet whatever testing standards the Pac-12 establishes before outright cancelling the games.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/07/big-sky-commissioner-calls-cancellation-of-non-conference-football-games-a-kick-in-the-teeth.html

There is a link included in the story for the full interview. It is a really good listen to.

VandalBasher
July 23rd, 2020, 06:06 PM
I think to switch these PAC12 games with MWC games could be the answer. The MWC will be hurt worse by the impact of cancelled games than the Big Sky

Here are the match up that were cancelled in the MWC:

AFA: Purdue
USU: WSU and UW
Wyoming: Utah
CSU: CU and Oregon St.
UNM: USC

FSU: Colorado canx
Hawaii: Fordham, UA/UCLA/UO
SJSU: Penn St.
UNLV: CAL and ASU
SDSU: UCLA

NY Crusader 2010
July 23rd, 2020, 07:09 PM
The cancelling of non-conference games was PLANNED by the P5 conferences SPECIFICALLY so as to not have to pay out on guarantee games. Without day-game ticket and concession revenue, they are running away from having to fulfill these payouts.

If it was really about "safety" UCLA and UC-Berkeley wouldn't be playing this year. Isn't USC season effectively cancelled already because they are going online only?

cx500d
July 23rd, 2020, 08:25 PM
The cancelling of non-conference games was PLANNED by the P5 conferences SPECIFICALLY so as to not have to pay out on guarantee games. Without day-game ticket and concession revenue, they are running away from having to fulfill these payouts.

If it was really about "safety" UCLA and UC-Berkeley wouldn't be playing this year. Isn't USC season effectively cancelled already because they are going online only?
Same with Big 10.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 23rd, 2020, 09:19 PM
I think the Valley is announcing sometime next week about what they are going to do...just caught part of it on the radio.

Maybe the BSC and Valley can work out games to fill in the voids....??

xdontknowxxchinscratchx

NY Crusader 2010
July 24th, 2020, 05:29 AM
I think the Valley is announcing sometime next week about what they are going to do...just caught part of it on the radio.

Maybe the BSC and Valley can work out games to fill in the voids....??

xdontknowxxchinscratchx

Given the general theme of travel reduction, sounds pretty unlikely.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 24th, 2020, 05:56 AM
Given the general theme of travel reduction, sounds pretty unlikely.

Well the Valley announcement next week will probably be bad news then....:(

JALMOND
July 24th, 2020, 10:40 AM
I think to switch these PAC12 games with MWC games could be the answer. The MWC will be hurt worse by the impact of cancelled games than the Big Sky

Here are the match up that were cancelled in the MWC:

AFA: Purdue
USU: WSU and UW
Wyoming: Utah
CSU: CU and Oregon St.
UNM: USC

FSU: Colorado canx
Hawaii: Fordham, UA/UCLA/UO
SJSU: Penn St.
UNLV: CAL and ASU
SDSU: UCLA

Also, BYU lost games with Utah, Arizona State, Michigan State, Minnesota and Stanford.

Professor
July 24th, 2020, 10:49 AM
This shows you have to generate your own revenue and stop depending on the big boys for a payout

Anthony215
July 24th, 2020, 01:13 PM
This shows you have to generate your own revenue and stop depending on the big boys for a payout

I absolutely agree. I'm surprised many schools haven't followed the lead of the HBCU classic games. The FAMU/Bethune Cookman game, A&T/NCCU, Howard/Hampton, Hampton/Norfolk State rivalry games do very well at the gates as well as Alabama A&M & Tuskegee.

VandalBasher
July 24th, 2020, 10:37 PM
Also, BYU lost games with Utah, Arizona State, Michigan State, Minnesota and Stanford.

True, but I was only posting cancellations for teams in the MWC.

JALMOND
July 27th, 2020, 08:54 PM
True, but I was only posting cancellations for teams in the MWC.

Area independent. They should still be in the MWC (but don't try to tell them that).