View Full Version : Control of the Bayou Classic

SU Jag
June 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM
SU seeks control of Bayou Classic
Board delays decision after heated debate

By JORDAN BLUM
Advocate Capitol News Bureau
Published: Jun 16, 2007 - Page: 2B

A heated debate about the management of the Bayou Classic football event was squeezed in during a chaotic Friday at Southern University.

Between two private sessions to discuss litigation by a top Southern official and before announcing his sabbatical leave, acting Southern University System President Ed Jackson tried to push the Southern Board of Supervisors to immediately hand over control of the Bayou Classic to the main Baton Rouge campus.

The nationally televised football game against Grambling State University and the high-profile events surrounding the November game are handled by the Southern University system, which oversees five individual campuses.

The board ultimately decided to delay the power struggle until the next board meeting when a report on the Bayou Classic financing is complete.

“I think it most appropriate that complete management be returned to the Baton Rouge campus,” said Jackson, who was chancellor before being appointed interim president last month.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/8028262.html?showAll=y&c=y

Mr. C
June 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I never knew that Grambling and Southern were paying $1 million to get this game aired. Interesting.

SU Jag
June 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I never knew that Grambling and Southern were paying $1 million to get this game aired. Interesting.

B.S aint it!xrolleyesx

MACHIAVELLI
June 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM

This practice HAS NOT been going on since NBC starting airing the game around 90 or 91.

SU Jag
June 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Bring on ESPN!xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Makes for interesting math...

"Pay $1 Million to sponsor the Bayou Classic... or... PLAYOFFS?"

Hmmm....

SU Jag
June 20th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Makes for interesting math...

"Pay $1 Million to sponsor the Bayou Classic... or... PLAYOFFS?"

Hmmm....

The Bayou Classic isnt going anywhere, NBC might but not the Bayou. HBCU classic games are doing pretty well without NBC!

PMB4Life
June 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Having NBC broadcast your football game is a lot like having Paris Hilton speak at your commencement. It's unnecessary, it's going to cause problems, it's just for publicity, and you're probably better off without 'em.

SU Jag
June 20th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Having NBC broadcast your football game is a lot like having Paris Hilton speak at your commencement. It's unnecessary, it's going to cause problems, it's just for publicity, and you're probably better off without 'em.

Now that man has a point!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx The Atlanta Football Classic, the Magic City Classic, The Southern Heritage Classic, The Florida Classic just to name a few have done great without NBC and without television in general. But it is nice to get a chance for people in Oregon and places like that to get a sample of what HBCU football is like.

813Jag
June 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Now that man has a point!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx The Atlanta Football Classic, the Magic City Classic, The Southern Heritage Classic, The Florida Classic just to name a few have done great without NBC and without television in general. But it is nice to get a chance for people in Oregon and places like that to get a sample of what HBCU football is like.
The main issue is that Southern has to split their payout with the other schools in the SU system. There are a couple of threads on the SWACpage that explain everything. The game will survive NBC or not but you won't get anything like that with ESPN, look how they handle the FCS playoffs.

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
SU profited 1.7 million from the Bayou Classic during the year of Katrina. SU and Gram just recently started buying the airtime and selling the commercial time during the game xthumbsupx .

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Despite the $1M...the schools make more than their investment, so they get a return...

Questions will arise if SWAC plays out of conference against in-conference foes when the mandate ends. The SWAC refuses to play for anything other than bragging rights against their own. The SWAC talks about the PWCs taking their athletes and I think if the mandate does not help, they'll take a dip even more...

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM
The SWAC talks about the PWCs taking their athletes and I think if the mandate does not help, they'll take a dip even more...BCS schools not FCS xlolx

SU Jag
June 21st, 2007, 11:59 AM
Despite the $1M...the schools make more than their investment, so they get a return...

Questions will arise if SWAC plays out of conference against in-conference foes when the mandate ends. The SWAC refuses to play for anything other than bragging rights against their own. The SWAC talks about the PWCs taking their athletes and I think if the mandate does not help, they'll take a dip even more...

What?xconfusedx

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2007, 04:27 PM
What?xconfusedx

I was stating that the Bayou Classic is a return on the investment. They put $1M and still make $$$...

As it relates to scheduling, the SWAC continues to fight within itself and if they still play conference foes for OOC (UAPB not scheduled to play Alabama A&M, but ends up playing them in a game that counts as OOC for instance), that'll continue to show the SWAC has no intentions on gaining football respect as they once had...

BCS schools not FCS xlolx

Okay, FBS schools are taking the athletes...

And the FCS schools are just continually beating the SWAC schools....

GAD
June 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
I was stating that the Bayou Classic is a return on the investment. They put $1M and still make $$$...

As it relates to scheduling, the SWAC continues to fight within itself and if they still play conference foes for OOC (UAPB not scheduled to play Alabama A&M, but ends up playing them in a game that counts as OOC for instance), that'll continue to show the SWAC has no intentions on gaining football respect as they once had...

Okay, FBS schools are taking the athletes...

And the FCS schools are just continually beating the SWAC schools....
The nine game mandate is still in effect for the 2007 season, 2008 is when a team could schedule 4 ooc games