PDA

View Full Version : New PFL Members!!

DetroitFlyer
June 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
The hot rumor on the street is that both Campbell and Lipscomb will be announced as new PFL members in the near future.... No details just yet so stay tuned!

aceinthehole
June 20th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Any word about Iona, LaSalle, or Marist?

Does Ralph or anyone have a idea of who was at the Chiago meeting and what was discussed, or is still "top secret"?

DetroitFlyer
June 20th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I hear that the MAAC is not merging with the PFL, for now.... No other word on the fate of the remaining MAAC schools....

Seawolf97
June 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Iona, La Salle and Marist might be looking for home also. Good news though! Growth is always a plus.

Dane96
June 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM
This also seems to augment what many of us have been saying, though for different reasons: THE GRIDIRON CLASSIC IS DEAD AFTER THIS SEASON.

Expect the PFL to go to a conference championship game.

dbackjon
June 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Good to hear that Lipscomb is adding football - it will do well there.

DetroitFlyer
June 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Well, Lipscomb is still on the fence. Campbell is said to be in the PFL. We'll have to wait and see on Lipscomb.... Still, admitting Campbell is huge, it makes me think that whatever is going to happen to the PFL and the MAAC is coming into focus. Should be fun to see how it all unfolds over the next year or so....

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Any word about Iona, LaSalle, or Marist?

Does Ralph or anyone have a idea of who was at the Chiago meeting and what was discussed, or is still "top secret"?

The fate of these three schools is still up in the air.

I have some knowledge of the Chicago meeting and all I can say is that no football members were added or subtracted to any conferences during it.

I am working on a piece about this - which is a seismic shift in non-scholarship football - and I'm trying to get some answers.

DetroitFlyer
June 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Now a poster on another board, ( a LaSalle fan ), is saying that the three remaining MAAC teams are a "done deal" to join the PFL! In many respects, I hope this all works out. I have often thought that FCS could have room for one "non-scholarship" conference and that year in and year out, that conference's champion could compete with any FCS team. ( As in receive an automatic bid to the playoffs! ). It sure seems that whatever is going to happen is going to become apparent in the not too distant future! I'm looking forward to LFN's insight, as always, as well as any other news that surfaces!

aceinthehole
June 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I haven't heard much more about Indiana U (PA) plas to move to D-I, but their conference is expanding.

The 7-member PSAC (D-II) is expandig outside of PA by adding 2 new members who play football, as well as an additional FB-only member.

Gannon and Mercyhurst (formerly of the GLIAC) will become full members, while C.W. Post will join as a football and field hockey affiliate.

Also, it indicated that the PSAC limit on FB scholly is 25, where the GLIAC limit is 36.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_513432.html

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I haven't heard much more about Indiana U (PA) plas to move to D-I, but their conference is expanding.

The 7-member PSAC (D-II) is expandig outside of PA by adding 2 new members who play football, as well as an additional FB-only member.

Gannon and Mercyhurst (formerly of the GLIAC) will become full members, while C.W. Post will join as a football and field hockey affiliate.

Also, it indicated that the PSAC limit on FB scholly is 25, where the GLIAC limit is 36.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_513432.html

IUP would be extremely unlikely to go to the PFL or non-scholly as they already offer schollies, and would have to give them up.

hebmskebm
June 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM
If cost containment is the name of the game for the MAAC schools, then it must be that the travel expenses that the PFL brings must have still been cheaper than the limited scholys would cost in the NEC. Does that sound right?

Model Citizen
June 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM
If cost containment is the name of the game for the MAAC schools, then it must be that the travel expenses that the PFL brings must have still been cheaper than the limited scholys would cost in the NEC. Does that sound right?

Absolutely.

I don't think the MAAC teams would be playing everyone in the league, anyway. This would be a limited scheduling arrangement, like the Pioneer had in 2005.

BearsCountry
June 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Looks like the Altantic Sun Conference is slowly getting into the football game.

Model Citizen
June 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Looks like the Altantic Sun Conference is slowly getting into the football game.

Yep. Possibly more to come.

aztecjim
June 20th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what does the article mean by "district school"?

BearsCountry
June 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Yep. Possibly more to come.

Would it involve a certain school in the Atlanta metro?

Model Citizen
June 20th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Yes.

lc83
June 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
What is the predicted time line for the new additions? How many teams will be in the expanded conference?

GoBears
June 20th, 2007, 04:10 PM

I don't think you have to worry about UNF though ... not at least for another 10 years when they're up to 25,000 students.

Dane96
June 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Oh...believe me...UNF will eventually get football...Panhandle area needs there FBS as well.

DUPFLFan
June 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I have some knowledge of the Chicago meeting and all I can say is that no football members were added or subtracted to any conferences during it.

I am working on a piece about this - which is a seismic shift in non-scholarship football - and I'm trying to get some answers.

Glad you are doing this, because there has been nothing in print at all about the "non-scholarship summit" No press at all.

GoBears
June 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Oh...believe me...UNF will eventually get football...Panhandle area needs there FBS as well.

Not enough university and student support for it. They're just now allowing academic exceptions. The annual budget right now is $5.5 million and the emphasis is on baseball and basketball. Hell, they don't even have anyone in charge of facilities on staff.

If it happens, it will be a looooooooooooooong time from now.

Just trust me on this one. xsmiley_wix

Dane96
June 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Sorry...can't fly with you on this. I have too many "in's" in both the State Education family...and the coaching community. This...will be done sooner than you think...the rumblings have already started.

Simply put...this is a brand new DI school...but football is king in Florida. There is a void in that region for football. Football makes money. There is no team for that region to root for, but for Tampa Bay and in college, locally speaking of course, USF and FSU...and they are both over an hour and a half-away. Of course there are fans of UF and, more than likely, out-of-state schools.

Believe me...this will get done.

The facilities, btw, are already in place. Toss in a few goal posts...close in the second side for 10-20mm..and you have a nice 19k seat stadium. They already have some of the nicest overall facilities in the country.

http://unfospreys.cstv.com/facilities/nfla-facilities.html

This school isnt even officially DI...they are still classifying...but I do know fund-raising has already begun, quietly, for UNF football. There is no reason to think by 2015...not so long considering they are not full D-I until 2009...they will have some sort of football at UNF. Additionally, a 2002 report on UNF's upgrade (internal) indicated there were no "10 year" plans for football yet. That, of course is 2012. It takes about 3 years to really build a program. I am saying 2015-2017...which, in the scheme of things...isn't that far off.

Additionally, straight from Dr. Groepper:

"Question: I know you probably get this question a lot but, I was wondering if you foresee a football program coming to UNF? If so when? If not Why?
-Steven Hendricks
Yulee, Fla.

Dr. Gropper: As a football fan, I certainly appreciate your question. Despite our financial limitations at the present time, I too can envision a day when the University of North Florida will field a football team and we can all enjoy the thrills of the fall with a UNF marching band, tailgate parties, etc.

Now for a dose of reality! The University of North Florida athletics program has made great strides over the course of its relatively brief history. Our 17-sport program (which includes men's golf and women's swimming and diving as Division I sports) has emerged as one of the nation's premiere Division II programs. Our teams routinely compete for conference, regional and national championships. I'm proud to say that our student-athletes have competed just as successfully in the classroom.

UNF is truly an example of intercollegiate athletics at it's best!

The next step in the development of our program is the complete reclassification from D-II to D-I status. As you probably already know, that process was initiated in fall 2004 and will be complete in fall 2009. The process is long but provides an opportunity for young programs to develop the financial resources necessary to secure Division I conference affiliation, improve facilities, develop the necessary staffing and to build a solid base of scholarship support. This is exactly where our efforts will be concentrated over the course of the five-year reclassification process.

That being said - I do envision the day when adding a football program is a very legitimate and exciting question to pose. Our short term goal, however, is to build a solid, highly competitive D-I program for all 17 sports. This includes building the staff infrastructure that our student-athletes deserve, enhancing our facilities to the point where they are all recognized as "first class" and providing the scholarship support enabling us to attract the brightest and most competitive high school graduates.

As you can see, adding football to our sports offering is "long-term"; building an exciting D-I program for all current 17 sports is "short-term". Our goal is to build our program the right way, not the most expeditious way. You can be proud of the UNF athletics program, its history and its future direction."

GoBears
June 20th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Sorry...can't fly with you on this. I have too many "in's" in both the State Education family...and the coaching community. This...will be done sooner than you think...the rumblings have already started.

Simply put...this is a brand new DI school...but football is king in Florida. There is a void in that region for football. Football makes money. There is no team for that region to root for, but for Tampa Bay and in college, locally speaking of course, USF and FSU...and they are both over an hour and a half-away. Of course there are fans of UF and, more than likely, out-of-state schools.

The facilities, btw, are already in place. Toss in a few goal posts...close in the second side for 10-20mm..and you have a nice 19k seat stadium. They already have some of the nicest overall facilities in the country.

Yeah thanks, I kind of know the web site and stadium all too well.:D

Hodges Stadium is in place to host high school football games. If you want to add another side to the stadium, that would have to be state funding because they are currently in the middle of a $60 million campaign to upgrade other faclities and build a new baseball stadium.

Not sure where the rumblings are ... except from the ill-informed students that say they want football but would never show up to games.

DetroitFlyer
June 21st, 2007, 07:31 AM
http://www.geocities.com/lurkingd/

jessesd
June 21st, 2007, 08:06 AM
Not enough university and student support for it. They're just now allowing academic exceptions. The annual budget right now is $5.5 million and the emphasis is on baseball and basketball. Hell, they don't even have anyone in charge of facilities on staff.

If it happens, it will be a looooooooooooooong time from now.

Just trust me on this one. xsmiley_wix

Well, UNF is currently in the process of stadium upgrade is rated in therange of 10k seats, (They call it the Soccer and athletics field), but if you paint some end zones you can call it a football stadium... I saw it last year and it was good enough for FCS football. Better than many other schools (SDSU*). It was used during the superbowl for the teams conditioning and training.
I don't think is going to be that looooooooong, maybe just a little bit long before they add football, The stadium is one of the important parts in the puzzle.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_280202345.html

http://www.unf.edu/groups/spinnaker/archives/2004/11-10/sports.html

jessesd
June 21st, 2007, 08:15 AM

This school isnt even officially DI...they are still classifying...but I do know fund-raising has already begun, quietly, for UNF football. There is no reason to think by 2015...not so long considering they are not full D-I until 2009...they will have some sort of football at UNF. Additionally, a 2002 report on UNF's upgrade (internal) indicated there were no "10 year" plans for football yet. That, of course is 2012. It takes about 3 years to really build a program. I am saying 2015-2017...which, in the scheme of things...isn't that far off.

Additionally, straight from Dr. Groepper:

"Question: I know you probably get this question a lot but, I was wondering if you foresee a football program coming to UNF? If so when? If not Why?
-Steven Hendricks
Yulee, Fla.

Dr. Gropper: As a football fan, I certainly appreciate your question. Despite our financial limitations at the present time, I too can envision a day when the University of North Florida will field a football team and we can all enjoy the thrills of the fall with a UNF marching band, tailgate parties, etc.

Now for a dose of reality! The University of North Florida athletics program has made great strides over the course of its relatively brief history. Our 17-sport program (which includes men's golf and women's swimming and diving as Division I sports) has emerged as one of the nation's premiere Division II programs. Our teams routinely compete for conference, regional and national championships. I'm proud to say that our student-athletes have competed just as successfully in the classroom.

UNF is truly an example of intercollegiate athletics at it's best!

The next step in the development of our program is the complete reclassification from D-II to D-I status. As you probably already know, that process was initiated in fall 2004 and will be complete in fall 2009. The process is long but provides an opportunity for young programs to develop the financial resources necessary to secure Division I conference affiliation, improve facilities, develop the necessary staffing and to build a solid base of scholarship support. This is exactly where our efforts will be concentrated over the course of the five-year reclassification process.

That being said - I do envision the day when adding a football program is a very legitimate and exciting question to pose. Our short term goal, however, is to build a solid, highly competitive D-I program for all 17 sports. This includes building the staff infrastructure that our student-athletes deserve, enhancing our facilities to the point where they are all recognized as "first class" and providing the scholarship support enabling us to attract the brightest and most competitive high school graduates.

As you can see, adding football to our sports offering is "long-term"; building an exciting D-I program for all current 17 sports is "short-term". Our goal is to build our program the right way, not the most expeditious way. You can be proud of the UNF athletics program, its history and its future direction."

You guessed it right, the ball is already rolling on this one!!!
is not going to take too long for UNF to make the move, they want to get everything in order before it happens. See my other post with the stadium links. I remember seeing other articles about it on the Gainesville paper editorial as far back as two years ago right around the superbowl time. I'll keep looking.

mcveyrl
June 21st, 2007, 09:00 AM
I know several Lipscomb alums and at least one had told me that their school charter did not allow formation of a football team. I'm assuming this is incorrect information, but has anybody else heard this??

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM
I know several Lipscomb alums and at least one had told me that their school charter did not allow formation of a football team. I'm assuming this is incorrect information, but has anybody else heard this??

Definitely incorrect, since they were at the non-scholarship summit.

dbackjon
June 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM
That is an Lipscomb urban legend. The Nashville paper addresses that last year, it is false.

mcveyrl
June 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
That is an Lipscomb urban legend. The Nashville paper addresses that last year, it is false.

Thanks for the clarification. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx