PDA

View Full Version : Is the pandemic "an Act of God"?

JALMOND
July 16th, 2020, 01:53 PM
Portland State AD Valerie Cleary wants some clarity.

https://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/2020/07/portland-state-wants-compensation-for-canceled-nonconference-football-games-with-arizona-and-oregon-state.html

Is there precedent for conferences to say, "We will play these games only, but not these games" and then claim "Act of God" in order to avoid paying the buyout?

We will soon find out.

Bisonator
July 16th, 2020, 02:07 PM
Yeah there are lots of questions about these cancelled games. Guessing most will try to reschedule them, it'll all be negated if everything gets shut down anyway.

wapiti
July 16th, 2020, 03:05 PM
No, It was an act of the Chinese.

cx500d
July 16th, 2020, 04:11 PM
Portland State AD Valerie Cleary wants some clarity.

https://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/2020/07/portland-state-wants-compensation-for-canceled-nonconference-football-games-with-arizona-and-oregon-state.html

Is there precedent for conferences to say, "We will play these games only, but not these games" and then claim "Act of God" in order to avoid paying the buyout?

We will soon find out.

i agree with her. Given psu is within their normal travel footprint and they are willing to travel elsewhere (and these were home games for the fbs) it sounds like they are just choosing not to play, which should be a buyout.

aceinthehole
July 16th, 2020, 05:21 PM
i agree with her. Given psu is within their normal travel footprint and they are willing to travel elsewhere (and these were home games for the fbs) it sounds like they are just choosing not to play, which should be a buyout.

I agree that FBS schools that play any games this fall will have a difficult time not being liable for cancelling. However, this is a business and I imagine most FCS athletic departments will try to reschedule, instead of forcing payment. That could be bad business and hurt scheduling future games.

But if FCS teams end up cancelling their season, it becomes a moot point.

I don't expect any teams to pay these cancel fees. It is in everyone's best interest to reschedule or walk away.

ysubigred
July 16th, 2020, 05:32 PM
No, It was an act of the Chinese.

So, you are saying the Devil? xrolleyesx

BEAR
July 16th, 2020, 06:51 PM
So, you are saying the Devil? xrolleyesx

I think he's saying its man-made so it can't be an act of a god. xlolx

CHIP72
July 16th, 2020, 07:43 PM
We should ask what sports league and team officials in countries where COVID-19 cases have decreased dramatically and leagues have resumed playing games what they think.