PDA

View Full Version : COVID-19Sources: MEAC won’t play football in 2020

bluedog
July 16th, 2020, 10:00 AM
Add the MEAC to the list of HBCU and FCS conferences who won’t be stepping on the field this season.

The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Council of Presidents and Chancellors has decided it will not play football in 2020, sources told HBCU Gameday.

At least two MEAC schools, North Carolina A&T and Florida A&M, have had student-athletes test positive for COVID-19 since returning to campus in July.

HBCU Gameday has reached out to the conference for comment.

This decision comes one week after the two Division II HBCU conferences, the CIAA and SIAC, announced their decision to shut down football competition for fall 2020. Other FCS conferences, including the Ivy League and the Patriot League, will also sit out fall 2020.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/07/16/sources-meac-wont-play-football-in-2020/

WestCoastAggie
July 16th, 2020, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see A&T, FAMU and SC State try to throw together a last-minute indy schedule.

WileECoyote06
July 16th, 2020, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see A&T, FAMU and SC State try to throw together a last-minute indy schedule.

Why would they do that?

NDSUKurt
July 16th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Why would they do that?

It is the last year for A&T, FAMU, and Bethune Cookman in the MEAC, so if there is no conference schedule/games, they have nothing to lose for the future by trying to play some games as independents this year.

bluedog
July 16th, 2020, 10:35 AM
It is the last year for A&T, FAMU, and Bethune Cookman in the MEAC, so if there is no conference schedule/games, they have nothing to lose for the future by trying to play some games as independents this year.But a child's life

WileECoyote06
July 16th, 2020, 10:42 AM
It is the last year for A&T, FAMU, and Bethune Cookman in the MEAC, so if there is no conference schedule/games, they have nothing to lose for the future by trying to play some games as independents this year.

That's a health, legal, and possibly financial risk they'd be stupid to take. It's only going to be a matter of time before other FCS conferences fall in line anyway. xcoffeex

dgtw
July 16th, 2020, 10:51 AM
If this happens, I suspect the SWAC will follow suit. I saw where Tennessee State is going to be playing a conference only schedule because their OOC games were all “Classics” that were cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormerPokeCenter
July 16th, 2020, 10:58 AM
I didn't realize they'd played in 2019.

nodak651
July 16th, 2020, 11:22 AM
But a child's life

College athletes will prob have MORE exposure to people if football is cancelled, because they will be out partying. It's what college kids do. Football will not increase the risk on any child's life, the only difference is they will be tested less and guys who are asymptomatic will not know it.

bluedog
July 16th, 2020, 11:34 AM
College athletes will prob have MORE exposure to people if football is cancelled, because they will be out partying. It's what college kids do. Football will not increase the risk on any child's life, the only difference is they will be tested less and guys who are asymptomatic will not know it.All I say to that is. Thank God you aren't in charge of anybody's institution of Higher Learning or athletic department. You would not only risk the financial liability of the athletics dept and school. But also the lives of countless students put in your trust. Base on some random theory you believe to be true. It's that type of hillbilly logic that has this country leading the entire world in coronavirus cases and death. Although we're just 4% of the world's entire population with a quarter of the world cases

FormerPokeCenter
July 16th, 2020, 12:01 PM
330 million is a quarter of 7 billion?

OhioHen
July 16th, 2020, 12:47 PM
330 million is a quarter of 7 billion?

I have to side with bluedog on this one. He estimated United States SARS-CoV-2 cases at approximately a quarter of all worldwide cases. His 4% of the population wasn't far off, especially as the total world population is probably now closer to 8 billion.

Although we're just 4% of the world's entire population with a quarter of the world cases

POD Knows
July 16th, 2020, 12:50 PM
I have to side with bluedog on this one. He estimated United States SARS-CoV-2 cases at approximately a quarter of all worldwide cases. His 4% of the population wasn't far off, especially as the total world population is probably now closer to 8 billion.These countries that don't have running water and other basic **** aren't counting or testing squat. Does anybody honestly think that "real" numbers are rolling up globally on this?

FormerPokeCenter
July 16th, 2020, 01:10 PM
I have to side with bluedog on this one. He estimated United States SARS-CoV-2 cases at approximately a quarter of all worldwide cases. His 4% of the population wasn't far off, especially as the total world population is probably now closer to 8 billion.

You did see this note, right before your post at 12:47 pm? "Last edited by bluedog; July 16th, 2020 at 12:28 PM."

You're both welcome...

that guy
July 16th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Guess the celebration bowl just saved 1 million.

bluedog
July 16th, 2020, 01:28 PM
Guess the celebration bowl just saved 1 million.That's yet to be seen

Laker
July 16th, 2020, 04:50 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdE6eOhXoAEeqqR?format=png&name=900x900

WestCoastAggie
July 16th, 2020, 04:55 PM

2 Million but ESPN lost ad revenue.

FUBeAR
July 16th, 2020, 05:48 PM
2 Million but ESPN lost ad revenue.
Any payout for the MEAC/SWAC Challenge - the game SCSU & Grambling were gonna play? If so, how much? I looked and couldn’t find any info on that.

WestCoastAggie
July 16th, 2020, 06:41 PM
Any payout for the MEAC/SWAC Challenge - the game SCSU & Grambling were gonna play? If so, how much? I looked and couldn’t find any info on that.
Our AD said it paid about $125K.

cx500d
July 16th, 2020, 08:01 PM
You did see this note, right before your post at 12:47 pm? "Last edited by bluedog; July 16th, 2020 at 12:28 PM."

You're both welcome...
that's why you "reply with quote" - if you didn't, it never happened.

Panther88
July 17th, 2020, 01:21 AM
Smart move by the MEAC braintrust. Hopefully the SWAC will follow and cancel fall sports.

bluedog
July 17th, 2020, 01:54 AM
Smart move by the MEAC braintrust. Hopefully the SWAC will follow and cancel fall sports.Probably next week after their meeting.

nodak651
July 17th, 2020, 12:08 PM
All I say to that is. Thank God you aren't in charge of anybody's institution of Higher Learning or athletic department. You would not only risk the financial liability of the athletics dept and school. But also the lives of countless students put in your trust. Base on some random theory you believe to be true. It's that type of hillbilly logic that has this country leading the entire world in coronavirus cases and death. Although we're just 4% of the world's entire population with a quarter of the world cases

Jesus, man. Take a chill pill, and tell that to the P5 AD's. I was only posting my opinion, and I'm pretty sure that's not some random theory or hillbilly logic - have you ever been to a college campus or been following the news? College kid's will congregate, and without structure from football and the risk of missing games, athletes will be joining the rest of the student body. It's LOGIC. Next time, please tell me specifically where I'm wrong before throwing around needless insults.

Anthony215
July 17th, 2020, 01:15 PM
I wonder how not having a 2020 season will affect the scholarship numbers for 2021. Some 5th year seniors may be paying to play or have their $ cut down, or not invited back, or we will see some c/o 21 kids have to wait until January 2022 to enroll when scholarships open up. Anyone know the scholarships given by each 2019 MEAC football school? I know the FCS limit is 63 I'm wondering how many conference schools are at the limit.

bluedog
July 17th, 2020, 02:15 PM
Jesus, man. Take a chill pill, and tell that to the P5 AD's. I was only posting my opinion, and I'm pretty sure that's not some random theory or hillbilly logic - have you ever been to a college campus or been following the news? College kid's will congregate, and without structure from football and the risk of missing games, athletes will be joining the rest of the student body. It's LOGIC. Next time, please tell me specifically where I'm wrong before throwing around needless insults.Oh for Christ sakes grow up and stop whining. If you don't won't your opinion critique than don't offer one. Chill??? You may want to take your own advice. Chill..... xlmaox

BEAR
July 17th, 2020, 02:21 PM
Oh for Christ sakes grow up and stop whining. If you don't won't your opinion critique than don't offer one. Chill??? You may want to take your own advice. Chill..... xlmaox

Says the racist who called a poster "hillbilly" without even knowing him or her....xcoffeex

bluedog
July 17th, 2020, 02:25 PM
Says the racist who called a poster "hillbilly" without even knowing him or her....xcoffeexSo now I'm a racist for critiquing and opinion. If that's not the dumbest shat ever posted in the history of social media posting. I don't know what is.https://media2.giphy.com/media/QgVdpT0URYpYA/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7o0kexoen7f60xckzi43605s6k2mx gduqxdty63x5&rid=giphy.gif

Panther88
July 17th, 2020, 02:26 PM
Probably next week after their meeting.

More than likely.

BEAR
July 17th, 2020, 02:32 PM
So now I'm a racist for critiquing and opinion. If that's not the dumbest shat ever posted in the history of social media posting. I don't know what is.

You would know about dumb shat posting ever...you spread it all over the political board daily. xcoffeex Now you want to insult posters on the football board....typical M.O. xlolx No wonder you get ignored.....xlolx

bluedog
July 17th, 2020, 02:42 PM
You would know about dumb shat posting ever...you spread it all over the political board daily. xcoffeex Now you want to insult posters on the football board....typical M.O. xlolx No wonder you get ignored.....xlolxThe fact that you seem to believe you're the "dumb shat monitor" and bring what's going on ,on the political board over to the FCS board. Says it all. Then to have the audacity to whine like a five year old about some perceived insult that has absolutely nothing to do with you. After all the insult that are thrown around in this forum by you and everyone else. Is the epitome of entitlement and privilege. It's really hilarious as hell.https://media0.giphy.com/media/l0ExayQDzrI2xOb8A/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7pa06pkflnad8hn9oj0v8re2o17fm 0i4324g2lz4b&rid=giphy.gifhttps://media1.giphy.com/media/Z9OGuQyrfHAE8/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd716f8zmmenvkbduoy93cwaapqa0bq 23orp4ixiy9e&rid=giphy.gifhttps://media0.giphy.com/media/aTXHpCN7TSpmE/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7pa06pkflnad8hn9oj0v8re2o17fm 0i4324g2lz4b&rid=giphy.gifhttps://media2.giphy.com/media/wR7LHlfuRUjHW/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7pa06pkflnad8hn9oj0v8re2o17fm 0i4324g2lz4b&rid=giphy.gif

nodak651
July 17th, 2020, 04:00 PM
Oh for Christ sakes grow up and stop whining. If you don't won't your opinion critique than don't offer one. Chill??? You may want to take your own advice. Chill..... xlmaox

Not sure if you know what that word means, because you didn't critique anything that I said... However, you did go on a neurotic rant, for some reason, about what would supposedly happen if I was an AD. You then attributed my hillbilly opinion that "athletes will party more if they don't have football" to the US leading the World in scary Covid stats.