PDA

View Full Version : Spring Season

Milktruck74
July 15th, 2020, 12:08 PM
All this talk about Spring Football...Some are considering the logistics of having it coincide with other Spring sports and competing for venues/practice facilities and that is an issue that can probably be overcome with some of the local HS venues for LAX, Field Hockey etc....

But something that is not being considered is the physical toll that the bodies will take with a spring season followed by a fall season. 22 games (not counting playoffs) in 10 months. Basically 11 games (Feb-MAy) and 10 week break and then 11 more games (Aug-nov). Any thoughts?

Also, if you are soon to graduate with a shot at the NFL, do you just forego the season to avoid injuries?

Anthony215
July 15th, 2020, 12:21 PM
For seniors who have used their redshirt year unless you had a draftable grade going into your senior year you need this spring season film to jump the board and get on the board. Remember the 2020 class those UDFA won't be making teams this year because no training camp, OTAs, rookie mini camps and they'll be signed to future deals heading into the 2021 season meaning less spots for UDFA's in the 2021 class. Those who are pretty much a shoe in for getting drafted in the first two days won't risk injury they'll let their freshman, sophomore year tape stand on it's own. Lower level guys at the FCS/D2 level they'll be kind of forced to play the spring season as they need extra film for scouts. The physical toll on the body is a huge thing to consider but then again think about it this way how many rookies outside the P5 schools come in and legit compete for starting positions. Most come in as rookies ride the pine for a year before getting their feet wet outside of ST duties and mop up time.

Milktruck74
July 15th, 2020, 12:32 PM
Good points...especially about the limited number of UDFA spots and Rookies riding the pine. The seniors not wanting to play back to back seasons will probably impact the P5s more than us, but the kid that plays a spring sophmore season and a Junior Fall is going to get beat up.

NY Crusader 2010
July 15th, 2020, 12:53 PM
Good points for sure. I think you could have a scenario where a number of NFL prospects who have breakout spring seasons will opt to sit out fall and just begin working out for the draft the following spring.

And I think spring schedules would be somewhat abridged -- depending on scheduling situations and institutional decisions, teams could find themselves playing anywhere between 7 and 11 games plus playoffs. And then you'd be looking at a traditional season in Fall 2021 (fingers crossed).

ursus arctos horribilis
July 15th, 2020, 01:04 PM
The spring football thing is a legit option in that it will/could be a way to buy time and try to soften the blow of losing this season entirely. But even if that does become the plan I think that is all it will serve as...a softening blow to what will eventually be coming anyway.

I'm not trying to say it is even some big plan to conceal from the schools or the NCAA but it is most likely how things will play out in my recognition of what we are up against here.

walliver
July 15th, 2020, 01:19 PM
I suspect a Spring Season would be about 8 games - Mid-March to mid-May. Probably no playoffs, but if they did occur would likely be 4 teams at most.

cx500d
July 15th, 2020, 08:42 PM
If there's a spring season, are we going to see the seniors who expect to be drafted start to sit out because they might get hurt like the FBS heavies do in their silly bowl games?