PDA

View Full Version : Hampton suspends fall sports

Laker
July 13th, 2020, 02:37 PM
https://www.wtkr.com/sports/hampton-university-suspends-fall-sports-due-to-covid-19

dbackjon
July 13th, 2020, 03:56 PM
And the dominoes keep falling

16 FCS schools now won't play in the fall

Anthony215
July 13th, 2020, 03:59 PM
Patiently awaiting the MEAC to follow suit. No FBS money games this year many athletic programs may not survive this academic year especially if there isn't any OOC BB games that the small programs rely on for funding their athletic programs after football season.

Professor
July 13th, 2020, 04:11 PM
has anyone heard what it costs to test a football team weekly for 14 weeks

nodak651
July 13th, 2020, 04:17 PM
has anyone heard what it costs to test a football team weekly for 14 weeks
The mentioned it on the MVFC podcast recently - forget which one and how much they said. No need to thank me :)

dgtw
July 13th, 2020, 04:47 PM
And the dominoes keep falling

16 FCS schools now won't play in the fall

Some idiot I know posted on Facebook when the Ivy cancelled that it only mattered to a hundred people and wasn’t important.

I am sure he feels the same way about this. What the idiot doesn’t realize is things like this don’t happen all at once. A couple more FCS leagues cancel and there is suddenly a severe shortage of OOC games. Some individual schools may shut it down if they can’t make it without the P5 payday game.

Then leagues decide a six game schedule just isn’t worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor
July 13th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Lol is this the conference podcast. You got a link to all of them lol

cx500d
July 13th, 2020, 05:11 PM
The mentioned it on the MVFC podcast recently - forget which one and how much they said. No need to thank me :)

****, that is quite an educational post.

https://i.imgur.com/xFrJtHx.gif

Professor
July 14th, 2020, 09:09 AM
Upon Research , Hampton made this decision due to the NCAA. NCAA stated that if you don't have students on campus then you can't play sports. Hampton is online only in the fall and thus, had to cancel.

PaladinFan
July 15th, 2020, 07:42 AM
Patiently awaiting the MEAC to follow suit. No FBS money games this year many athletic programs may not survive this academic year especially if there isn't any OOC BB games that the small programs rely on for funding their athletic programs after football season.

This will have massive impacts across the entire academic landscape, not just at smaller schools.

If the P5 schools cancel a share of their games, the ripple effects will be monstrous across all of college football. There are lower-level FBS schools that are essentially FCS programs with bigger budgets. There are D2 and NAIA schools that play FCS programs. The money goes a long way.

Football generates a staggering amount of revenue at P5 schools. That revenue goes to fund an astronomical amount of things. If that revenue is massively reduced, I don't think the P5 schools are going to dodge the butcher knife either.

What's disappointing about all of this is we potentially saw this coming in March.

Anthony215
July 15th, 2020, 09:25 AM
This will have massive impacts across the entire academic landscape, not just at smaller schools.

If the P5 schools cancel a share of their games, the ripple effects will be monstrous across all of college football. There are lower-level FBS schools that are essentially FCS programs with bigger budgets. There are D2 and NAIA schools that play FCS programs. The money goes a long way.

Football generates a staggering amount of revenue at P5 schools. That revenue goes to fund an astronomical amount of things. If that revenue is massively reduced, I don't think the P5 schools are going to dodge the butcher knife either.

What's disappointing about all of this is we potentially saw this coming in March.

I agree this is very disappointing and many schools may feel the ramifications from this for a decade or so. Wouldn't surprise me to see many D1 schools be forced to cancel football or drop down to D2 just to stop the bleeding. Here in PA our D2 programs already are underfunded and to salvage any kind of revenue they're pushing the FB season back until the Winter/Spring with probably a March through May season. I'm sure season tickets will be increased and in that case with our conference being 16 teams equally placed across the state they'll be able to have a conference title game charge all fans the $10 and make a few bucks to disperse to the participants.