PDA

View Full Version : What will the 2020 season look like? REVISITED

Milktruck74
July 13th, 2020, 08:00 AM
I posed this a few weeks ago and the responses varied greatly and seemed to have a regional influence. I'm wondering how/if opinions have changed since then. So what will it look like?

mvemjsunpx
July 13th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Option 3 could end up being the answer, but I doubt that decision would be made now. They'll postpone and then see what it looks like in 6 months or so.

BEAR
July 13th, 2020, 08:28 AM
I'm listening to local sports radio (experts in their own minds) and I'm getting anywhere between 0% and 7 games played. The 0% guy has been an analyst and followed football for 30+ years and has spoken with coaches and they all feel it won't happen. The 7 games only guy is just an optimistic newspaper guy. No one here knows. xlolx

Milktruck74
July 13th, 2020, 08:42 AM
I'm listening to local sports radio (experts in their own minds) xlolx

This is funny. About 20 years ago, I was listening to the local guys dog out my pops (who was a Color Analysist for 30 yrs for JP, NBC, Raycom) for being a HOMER for whatever team was playing Tennessee (their chosen FBS squad). I called him and he called in to their show...talk about 3 guys that walked backwards for the next 20 minutes.

Bisonator
July 13th, 2020, 09:02 AM
It's gonna be a lossed year I'm afraid.......:(

BEAR
July 13th, 2020, 09:19 AM
This is funny. About 20 years ago, I was listening to the local guys dog out my pops (who was a Color Analysist for 30 yrs for JP, NBC, Raycom) for being a HOMER for whatever team was playing Tennessee (their chosen FBS squad). I called him and he called in to their show...talk about 3 guys that walked backwards for the next 20 minutes.

That's funny! I got to spend this past weekend at the lake and met a former NFL guy who was a national tv sportscaster (through a friend of the family) and his insight to football was rather interesting. There's more physical going on in the locker room, at practice, and on the field then fans get to see. He doesn't think it will happen either. Just too much at stake...especially in high school and college which he doesn't think will happen at all. NFL ....might...just too much money...but he's glad he doesn't play anymore in this environment. xlolx One of our buddies argued for an hour with him about why it should happen. His reaction was, "ok. If you think so." It was like the dude arguing with the former NFL guy knew more than he did. Hilarious.

Milktruck74
July 13th, 2020, 09:44 AM
That's funny! I got to spend this past weekend at the lake and met a former NFL guy who was a national tv sportscaster (through a friend of the family) and his insight to football was rather interesting. There's more physical going on in the locker room, at practice, and on the field then fans get to see. He doesn't think it will happen either. Just too much at stake...especially in high school and college which he doesn't think will happen at all. NFL ....might...just too much money...but he's glad he doesn't play anymore in this environment. xlolx One of our buddies argued for an hour with him about why it should happen. His reaction was, "ok. If you think so." It was like the dude arguing with the former NFL guy knew more than he did. Hilarious.

My Pops left the field after 13 seasons and went straight to the booth. 20 years later he went to his first college game to ever actually sit in the stands (SEC Championship). About half way through the first quarter he says to me, "This is ridiculous! Do people stand up the entire time?" To which the lady beside him said, "Apparently you just don't understand football." I'm not sure if her husband/boyfriend/whatever actually recognized him or saw his ring, but either way, he pretty much told her how idiotic her statement was...my dad (pretty non-confrontational dude, alot like the "If you say so" guy) just sat there and smiled.

As fans and even college players, we think we know what goes on at that level, but we just don't see the inner functions of that environment.

Baron Sardonicus
July 13th, 2020, 09:55 AM
I didn't vote because "11-game regular season" was not listed as an option.

My theory is that no one at the PFL schools will remember they have football teams, so there won't be any changes in that league. Individual schools have made changes, but not the league.

In reality, the PFL may be influenced by whatever changes the MVFC makes, if any. We'll know in a couple of weeks.

Milktruck74
July 13th, 2020, 10:37 AM
I didn't vote because "11-game regular season" was not listed as an option.

My theory is that no one at the PFL schools will remember they have football teams, so there won't be any changes in that league. Individual schools have made changes, but not the league.

In reality, the PFL may be influenced by whatever changes the MVFC makes, if any. We'll know in a couple of weeks.

By the Dear Sweet Baby Jesus and all things Holy, you have no idea how much I want you to be right on this!!!!!! I'm afraid the dominos have started to fall too much to actually see a "normal" 11 game season in FCS, especially with B1G and Pac10 already going conference only...

JALMOND
July 13th, 2020, 10:51 AM
With the NAIA going to a conference only schedule and now the big boys doing the same thing, I think the next step to try to save the season will be all classes going to a conference only schedule. Subject to change, of course.

BEAR
July 13th, 2020, 11:03 AM
My Pops left the field after 13 seasons and went straight to the booth. 20 years later he went to his first college game to ever actually sit in the stands (SEC Championship). About half way through the first quarter he says to me, "This is ridiculous! Do people stand up the entire time?" To which the lady beside him said, "Apparently you just don't understand football." I'm not sure if her husband/boyfriend/whatever actually recognized him or saw his ring, but either way, he pretty much told her how idiotic her statement was...my dad (pretty non-confrontational dude, alot like the "If you say so" guy) just sat there and smiled.

As fans and even college players, we think we know what goes on at that level, but we just don't see the inner functions of that environment.

The NFL lines are dirty. Fingers through the face masks, putrid body gas, unwashed under clothing etc...They do anything to gain an advantage on each other from what he told me and from what I've heard former players say. If they do HALF of that...I just don't see how ANY season can take place. xlolx And that's just the linemen....xlolx

NY Crusader 2010
July 13th, 2020, 01:58 PM
I am optimistically predicting a spring season for the Ivy and Patriot Leagues. And yes DFW, I am including Georgetown in this scenario, even if football has to play second fiddle to lax on multi-sport field and have games and practices at Catholic.

dgtw
July 13th, 2020, 02:10 PM
My son grew up with a kid whose dad played major college football and was in the CFL for several years. We interacted a good bit over the years as our sons were teammates in baseball and wrestling. Although I love football and particularly the school he played for, I think I mentioned football maybe once or twice in all the years I knew him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivytalk
July 14th, 2020, 05:15 AM
The dominoes are falling. This Rube Goldberg contraption of a season is swirling down the loo. Everybody punts.

bonarae
July 14th, 2020, 06:00 AM
FBS bias, but the article below can be relevant to us...

https://sports.yahoo.com/time-to-face-reality-no-one-is-playing-college-football-in-the-fall-170634809.html

mvfcfan
July 14th, 2020, 09:00 AM
I've already started to make plans to do other things this Fall. I don't see there being a season. If they start they won't be able to finish because someone on the team will catch it and everyone in contact will have to quarantine for 2 weeks. It will just be disaster if they even try it. I voted for Spring Football just out of pure hope and because it's far enough out that maybe the virus will have started to go away by then.

Basketball might happen just because there aren't as many players, although it might be conference games only with limited fans.

BEAR
July 14th, 2020, 09:55 AM
I've already started to make plans to do other things this Fall. I don't see there being a season. If they start they won't be able to finish because someone on the team will catch it and everyone in contact will have to quarantine for 2 weeks. It will just be disaster if they even try it. I voted for Spring Football just out of pure hope and because it's far enough out that maybe the virus will have started to go away by then.

Basketball might happen just because there aren't as many players, although it might be conference games only with limited fans.

I've got my dehydrators out and prepping them for deer meat. Going to Dick's tonight to get a large amount of spices/seasonings for it too. Gonna experiment with Caribou and Bear this year!

Gotta do something!

bonarae
July 16th, 2020, 05:34 AM
Meanwhile...

Tennessee State will have zero OOC games this season.

https://www.hbcusports.com/2020/07/15/report-tennessee-state-to-play-eight-game-all-conference-football-schedule-for-2020/amp/

JacksFan40
July 16th, 2020, 03:31 PM
Season won’t happen, doubt winter sports will either. I’m mostly just paying attention to high school sports now, those are still likely on for SD.

ncspiderfan
July 16th, 2020, 03:45 PM
This article just popped up on the Richmond board today.

Basically is says FBS can now count two FCS teams toward bowl eligibility. If true, it could be a big help for FCS schools losing games. I saw the other day William and Mary is down to their eight conference games already.

https://thespun.com/college-football/ncaa-change-bowl-eligibility-rules (https://thespun.com/college-football/ncaa-change-bowl-eligibility-rules)

Ivytalk
July 17th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Well, sheeit, LSU’s “Coach O” still wants to play, gawdammit!

NY Crusader 2010
July 17th, 2020, 04:50 PM
This article just popped up on the Richmond board today.

Basically is says FBS can now count two FCS teams toward bowl eligibility. If true, it could be a big help for FCS schools losing games. I saw the other day William and Mary is down to their eight conference games already.

https://thespun.com/college-football/ncaa-change-bowl-eligibility-rules (https://thespun.com/college-football/ncaa-change-bowl-eligibility-rules)

And so much has changed already. William & Mary now down from 8 games to 0. Whether a game is a bowl counter should be the least of anyone's worries. How do you even define bowl eligibility now that barely anyone will be playing 11 or more games? And a majority of the bowl games are in this place called Florida which is not doing so well with COVID at the moment.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 19th, 2020, 07:44 AM
Season won’t happen, doubt winter sports will either. I’m mostly just paying attention to high school sports now, those are still likely on for SD.

NDSUs AD keeps putting out the same PC talking point on the season but I doubt the Valley will play. In our litigation happy society no school is going to take a chance on playing and possibly losing student athletes. Ambulance chasing lawyers will be like vultures around schools trying to play.

JacksFan40
July 19th, 2020, 08:43 AM
Well, sheeit, LSU’s “Coach O” still wants to play, gawdammit!
The SEC will sacrifice their first born if it means they get football.

JacksFan40
July 19th, 2020, 08:44 AM
NDSUs AD keeps putting out the same PC talking point on the season but I doubt the Valley will play. In our litigation happy society no school is going to take a chance on playing and possibly losing student athletes. Ambulance chasing lawyers will be like vultures around schools trying to play.
Yeah the lawsuits is primarily why I believe it won’t happen. If one athlete dies, all hell will break loose.

NY Crusader 2010
July 19th, 2020, 09:27 AM
The fact that litigation is now an issue is another example of how this virus has driven society mad. If a student-athlete died of a seasonal flu or a meningitis outbreak in 2018, no one would be worried about a lawsuit unless there was gross negligence involved (i.e. coaching staff forcing an athlete to practice despite being obviously very ill). Why will the ambulance chasers stop at the end of Fall 2020? Why not follow the money and go after businesses and institutions for as much as they can grab until every germ is eradicated from the world? Or at least until there is a vaccine and daily testing available for every disease known to man.

Society's reaction to COVID will impact daily life for a long time. When will it become socially acceptable to visit grandma? A year ago, if an elderly person didn't want to come to a family holiday gathering out of fear of picking up a cold or flu, the reaction would've been "C'mon grandpa, it's family. You only get to see some of your grandchildren, nieces and nephews but once or twice a year". Now, if a grandparent gets sick and passes away from a flu-like illness at an old age, the reaction will be" WHO KILLED GRANDMA? Let's conduct contact tracing to find out which family member is responsible for her murder."

Don't expect the above mentality to change at the conclusion of this flu season. Many aspects of what we now refer to as a "new normal" aren't going away. And a lot of people are rooting for that, which is sad.

Ivytalk
July 19th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Yeah the lawsuits is primarily why I believe it won’t happen. If one athlete dies, all hell will break loose.
Well, you already see TV commercials that effectively seek clients to sue nursing homes that may have mishandled Covid. On the bright side for you lawyer-haters, big commercial law firms are going through a nasty round of layoffs because of the ripple effects of Covid on the law business. I’m glad I retired when I did.

NY Crusader 2010
July 19th, 2020, 03:02 PM
Well, you already see TV commercials that effectively seek clients to sue nursing homes that may have mishandled Covid. On the bright side for you lawyer-haters, big commercial law firms are going through a nasty round of layoffs because of the ripple effects of Covid on the law business. I’m glad I retired when I did.

Not only layoffs but salary cuts and reduction in bonuses (or lack thereof). Imagine the shoe will also drop in the insurance and re-insurance businesses due to COVID-related claims and lack of revenue in sectors such as car insurance where premiums have dropped like a stone.

Gil Dobie
July 19th, 2020, 09:49 PM
If some schools play and others don't, what happens to the eligibility, won't it be mixed. If you play, you lose a year, if your school doesn't play, you don't lose a year. Could be a backlog of scholarships.

ElCid
July 19th, 2020, 11:44 PM
I am pretty sure that the upcoming season will be something that nobody envisioned. For instance, the virus threat subsides far greater than anyone realized, but lots of teams are caught flatfooted and are not prepared to actually play, and you have some of the biggest upset ever as a result. But on the bright side, the attendance slide reverses as people have pent up desires to get out and about. Or the virus gets worse and only a few, no fan games are televised to keep the masses at bay, and are no more than scrimmages that resemble peewee games. But weirdness will be the flavor of the season no matter what. Which way it will fall out is still up in the air.

I am also interested in eligibility issues. We have some 5th year stars supposed to be playing. As well as some pretty good grad transfers. This was our year. Will they slow roll their masters classes to hang out yet another year? No matter what, I also see the NCAA making some major league waivers as appropriate.

JacksFan40
July 20th, 2020, 06:38 PM
Every industry had layoffs because of COVID. Even the medical industry had layoffs.

that guy
July 23rd, 2020, 06:52 AM
I'm guessing this season will mess with most schools but to what degree will be interesting. Wonder how some smaller fbs schools will be next year as some have no business at that level? Same with the fcs. Wonder how many will drop down or drop sports altogether. Heck at this rate we might be still in the same boat next season.