PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting schedules due to P5

VandalBasher
July 12th, 2020, 12:10 PM
Well, the Battle of the Palouse (WSU vs. Idaho) won't be happening this year. If a team wants to schedule a game, the Vandals have an open date on September 19th.

Go Vandals.

PaladinFan
July 12th, 2020, 01:23 PM
We were having this discussion on Furman's forum. These games are important to smaller programs and mean a lot of funding for athletics.

I do not necessarily see how a program can cancel a game due to COVID, still play football, and not have compensate the program for the cancelation.

This is a really relevant question to the SoCon schools, many of whom play ACC/SEC teams every year. One unique feature of the SEC/ACC is that a lot of their big rivalry games (UGA/GT, FSU/UF, Clemson/SC) are outside the conference.

VandalBasher
July 12th, 2020, 01:24 PM
My guess will be that Idaho will play another Big Sky team as an OOC.

JayJ79
July 12th, 2020, 10:09 PM
I do not necessarily see how a program can cancel a game due to COVID, still play football, and not have compensate the program for the cancelation.
One argument I've heard is that the contracts may contain escape/cancellation clauses due to "reasons beyond the school's/athletic dept.'s control", and that a conference mandate to only play conference games qualifies as such.
Having not seen the actual contracts, I can neither confirm nor deny if that is actually the case.

NY Crusader 2010
July 12th, 2020, 10:49 PM
One argument I've heard is that the contracts may contain escape/cancellation clauses due to "reasons beyond the school's/athletic dept.'s control", and that a conference mandate to only play conference games qualifies as such.
Having not seen the actual contracts, I can neither confirm nor deny if that is actually the case.

This makes a lot of sense with regards to why P5 conferences would be jumping to cancel non-conference games. If guarantee games are played in front of no fans or limited fans (and little to no ticket revenue), wouldn't the host school still be on the hook for the payout? By cancelling these games en masse, the big schools are getting around the contracts.

I wonder if we will continue to see a domino effect. I expect that just about everyone will ultimately be playing a conference-only schedule at best.

PaladinFan
July 13th, 2020, 07:47 AM
This makes a lot of sense with regards to why P5 conferences would be jumping to cancel non-conference games. If guarantee games are played in front of no fans or limited fans (and little to no ticket revenue), wouldn't the host school still be on the hook for the payout? By cancelling these games en masse, the big schools are getting around the contracts.

I wonder if we will continue to see a domino effect. I expect that just about everyone will ultimately be playing a conference-only schedule at best.

I would think that the schools would have to work out an arrangement, frankly.

I expect prior to this year, contracts probably did not anticipate this sort of scenario - where the game is able to be played, but fans were not present (or present in vastly reduced numbers).

PaladinFan
July 13th, 2020, 07:49 AM

I think that argument makes sense, essentially that the games are "impossible."

The difficult spot for conferences, though, is that a lot of out of conference games are incredibly lucrative, especially in the SEC. What I do not think a conference can do is pick and choose what games it wants to play.

Put differently, if Tennessee decides it does not want to pay Furman to play in Knoxville, I don't see how they could play Oklahoma the week earlier. You either play both, or neither.

walliver
July 13th, 2020, 09:31 AM
Most likely the games will be rescheduled in the future.

It is likely the season will be moved back and start late September. This gives an excuse to cancel all out of conference games.

PaladinFan
July 13th, 2020, 11:44 AM
Most likely the games will be rescheduled in the future.

It is likely the season will be moved back and start late September. This gives an excuse to cancel all out of conference games.

Wofford was one of those teams that is interesting.

South Carolina has its annual rivalry game with Clemson. Hard to play that and not a home game against Wofford.

uni88
July 13th, 2020, 12:48 PM

South Carolina has its annual rivalry game with Clemson. Hard to play that and not a home game against Wofford.

What's the smarter long-term move for Wofford, UNI, NDSU, etc.? To try and get compensation for the lost game and reduce the likelihood of getting a game with that or another P5 team in the future or to work to reschedule the game for the future?

NY Crusader 2010
July 13th, 2020, 01:10 PM

Is the SC-Clemson game still on? I was wondering about that along with Georgia-Georgia Tech. My assumption is that a "conference-only schedule" is just that, meaning those rivalry games would be skipped.

SUPharmacist
July 13th, 2020, 01:24 PM
What's the smarter long-term move for Wofford, UNI, NDSU, etc.? To try and get compensation for the lost game and reduce the likelihood of getting a game with that or another P5 team in the future or to work to reschedule the game for the future?

I would think attempting to reschedule would make the most sense. If the other team refuses, it may make sense to attempt to get compensation. Although, with the deeper pockets of the FBS schools it maybe better to just drop the issue and not incur any legal costs over something you may not accomplish anyway.

PaladinFan
July 13th, 2020, 01:27 PM
Is the SC-Clemson game still on? I was wondering about that along with Georgia-Georgia Tech. My assumption is that a "conference-only schedule" is just that, meaning those rivalry games would be skipped.

I think that is one of the considerations for the SEC.

I had never really thought much of this before, but the SEC is a little peculiar in that some of their big rivalry games are non-conference matchups.

UGA/GT
UF/FSU
USC/Clemson
UK/Louisville

The SEC has it set up where all of those games are usually played the last week of the season before the SEC title game.

I have no idea how much of a factor that is in the decision making. I only raise it because I do not see how the SEC can cancel their non conference schedule but still play their rivalry games. Probably the same with the ACC.

walliver
July 13th, 2020, 01:29 PM

Wofford, as well as Clemson and The Citadel, have long-term deals with USC and Clemson.
This year's game was supposed to be the last game for Wofford and USC, primarily since Muschamp is not a fan of the option, but I believe that contract has been extended. When you have guaranteed local P5 money games lined up for the future, you probably don't want to rock the boat.

The reality is that the P5 will be playing this fall for TV (ABC, CBS, ESPN, SEC network, ACC network, etc). Only a handful of OOC games will bring in the TV ratings - P5 vs FCS will not.

NY Crusader 2010
July 13th, 2020, 01:53 PM
I think that is one of the considerations for the SEC.

I had never really thought much of this before, but the SEC is a little peculiar in that some of their big rivalry games are non-conference matchups.

UGA/GT
UF/FSU
USC/Clemson
UK/Louisville

The SEC has it set up where all of those games are usually played the last week of the season before the SEC title game.

I have no idea how much of a factor that is in the decision making. I only raise it because I do not see how the SEC can cancel their non conference schedule but still play their rivalry games. Probably the same with the ACC.

Not to mention Texas/Texas A&M whenever the two stop giving each other the silent treatment and pay football again...

I think 2020 will just have to be the year where we take a break from some of the bigger rivalry games. At least there are conference championships to be played for, at least for now.

Another thing I was thinking -- if there ends up being NO non-conference football outside of ND working out a scheduling agreement with the ACC, FBS indies playing each other and of course the Army-Navy game, Top 25 Rankings will also have to take a hiatus. There would be no way to objectively rank teams nationally if everyone plays an insular schedule. Do D-III pollsters rank the NESCAC, which plays conference only? I haven't paid attention to that but don't recall ever seeing those schools listed in the Top 25.

PaladinFan
July 13th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Wofford, as well as Clemson and The Citadel, have long-term deals with USC and Clemson.
This year's game was supposed to be the last game for Wofford and USC, primarily since Muschamp is not a fan of the option, but I believe that contract has been extended. When you have guaranteed local P5 money games lined up for the future, you probably don't want to rock the boat.

The reality is that the P5 will be playing this fall for TV (ABC, CBS, ESPN, SEC network, ACC network, etc). Only a handful of OOC games will bring in the TV ratings - P5 vs FCS will not.

The NCAA also risks, though, making it look like they are just in it for the money.

If you are concerned with COVID enough not to play Wofford, but are willing to play Clemson, I'm not sure how you don't make the argument that money is the driving factor.

If I had to wager, the most reasonable solution may be to take some sort of payout from the P5 school with a guarantee to play again at some date in the future.

An older colleague I once worked with would often quip, "I don't see many problems that cash can't solve."

VandalBasher
July 13th, 2020, 05:16 PM

A few years ago, lightning struck right before Idaho and Florida took the field. The game was never played and we still walked away with a cool $1M.

cx500d
July 13th, 2020, 05:19 PM
A few years ago, lightning struck right before Idaho and Florida took the field. The game was never played and we still walked away with a cool $1M.

What you didn't hear was in the FL locker room in the final pep speech before taking the field, the coach told his team "If we don't kick those Spud eater's asses today, may god strike me down with lightning"

PaladinFan
July 14th, 2020, 06:42 AM

To be perfectly honest, pushing football season back a few weeks wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The South endures some bizarre weather in the late summer.