PDA

View Full Version : State fair of texas canceled

Panther88
July 7th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Unsure if the game between PVAMU & GSU will continue on GSU's campus or in fair park since they are the home team this year and fair officials are leaving it up to the conference members/ncaa to decide games to be played.

Smart move by fair officials, considering.

dgtw
July 7th, 2020, 01:31 PM
Unsure if the game between PVAMU & GSU will continue on GSU's campus or in fair park since they are the home team this year and fair officials are leaving it up to the conference members/ncaa to decide games to be played.

Smart move by fair officials, considering.

When is this game normally played in relation to Texas-Oklahoma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panther88
July 7th, 2020, 01:37 PM
When is this game normally played in relation to Texas-Oklahoma?

Typically opening w/e, the w/e prior to tx/ou.

The PVAMU/GSU game has drawn anywhere from a rainy day/night draw of ~43K to upwards of 66K (mid-late 1980s). It's one of those 500K+$ payout deals for both schools.

dgtw
July 7th, 2020, 01:43 PM
I hate to see it but it looks like there won’t be many of the traditional HBCU games this year. Tennessee Stare is down to a nine game season at this point.

JacksFan40
July 7th, 2020, 02:02 PM
All carnival rides & concerts at the SD state fair are off, plus pretty much all other activities. All that’s happening is 4H and camping. Not worth going, if they even have it.

walliver
July 7th, 2020, 02:09 PM
All carnival rides & concerts at the SD state fair are off, plus pretty much all other activities. All that’s happening is 4H and camping. Not worth going, if they even have it.

I guess the 4H stuff should be OK. As long as no-one is raising prize Bats.

Panther88
July 7th, 2020, 03:26 PM
Quite a few county fairs, including the largest in houston, were canceled earlier in the spring. No animal shows, rodeo, arts & crafts shows, nothing was open.

State fair cancellation came as no surprise. It's the best move for everyone.

Daytripper
July 7th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Quite a few county fairs, including the largest in houston, were canceled earlier in the spring. No animal shows, rodeo, arts & crafts shows, nothing was open.

You know when they cancel the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo things ain't good. That is a cash cow.

JacksFan40
July 7th, 2020, 09:27 PM

My county’s 4H show is just the kids showing up with their animals, show them, and leave. No spectators, and they have to prepare them at home. I see no point since all animals can go to the fair. I’m probably just skipping the state fair this year anyway.

veinup
July 7th, 2020, 11:14 PM

same in idaho. for all intents and purposes the state fair is cancelled. 4H stuff might be the only thing remaining. my wife was told she wouldn’t be able to enter any of her knit-crafts in competition, etc., there will be no display pavilions.

wouldn’t be surprised if somebody tries to run an anti fascist **** social distancing fair somewhere in the state though.

bonarae
July 8th, 2020, 05:35 PM
PVAMU not canceling the game outright...

https://www.hbcusports.com/2020/07/08/prairie-view-am-releases-statement-regarding-2020-state-fair-classic-football-game/?no_cache=1
(https://www.hbcusports.com/2020/07/08/prairie-view-am-releases-statement-regarding-2020-state-fair-classic-football-game/?no_cache=1)

So is Grambling...
https://www.arklatexhomepage.com/sports/grambling-vs-prairie-view-still-a-go-despite-cancellation-of-state-fair/

Panther88
July 8th, 2020, 07:29 PM
I'm fairly certain the game will cancel. I canceled my hotel and rental earlier in April anticipating this move.

The safety of our and GSU's students & alumni trumps $$$.

ASU33
July 8th, 2020, 07:38 PM
I'm fairly certain the game will cancel. I canceled my hotel and rental earlier in April anticipating this move.

I've said the same thing about our season. I'm donating the money that I usually spend to the athletic department.

Panther88
July 8th, 2020, 07:41 PM
I've said the same thing about our season. I'm donating the money that I usually spend to the athletic department.

Smart move. Same here.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 8th, 2020, 07:43 PM

With young people hardly being affected by this, you would think the games could be played. No fans might be the norm this year.

ASU33
July 8th, 2020, 08:48 PM
With young people hardly being affected by this, you would think the games could be played. No fans might be the norm this year.

If this was pro football then yes. In college football there are too many moving pieces. You can justify NOT having kids in class rooms but then having kids on campus to play sports. Any decent lawyer would have a field day with that. Also schools make at this level make their money off of butts in seats, tailgating, parking and etc. If you dot have that and you're now paying for testing, along with everything else it takes to run the sport. You're now looking at something that won't be economically feasible for most non-power 5 schools. Another HUGE factor are rates of asthma and sickle cell for players in the deep south. Those are two very high risk conditions. Just too many questions with not too many reliable answers to risk the health and safety of kids.

Bisonoline
July 8th, 2020, 09:17 PM

Its all about liability. One kid dies theres going to be hell to pay.

ASU33
July 8th, 2020, 09:21 PM
Its all about liability. One kid dies theres going to be hell to pay.

Exactly

wapiti
July 8th, 2020, 10:44 PM
Sounds like the HBCU fans do not want college sports any longer.
Going by their logic college sports should no longer exist.
It seems like almost every year there are student athletics who die while working out.
So lets just cancel all college sports so that a very few will not die while exercising for a college sport.

Or maybe just cancel sports for the HBCUs.

ASU33
July 8th, 2020, 10:50 PM
It seems like almost every year there are student athletics who die while working out.
So lets just cancel all college sports so that a very few will not die while exercising for a college sport.

You actually sat down, thought this out and actually STILL typed it?🤦🏾*♂️

OhioHen
July 9th, 2020, 06:32 AM

That will benefit the department much more than the profits had you spent the money on tickets, concessions, etc.

Good move.

unknown3
July 9th, 2020, 06:54 AM

Boy the internet always reminds me just how disgusting some people in this world can be. You all couldn't care less about these kids you just want to see football. I mean it's cool if only a few of em die right? Jesus.

Panther88
July 9th, 2020, 07:29 AM

An ugly troll response but still you represent a collective ignorant faction which some student-athletes need to encounter.

I sincerely hope a specific faction of student-athletes on their athletic field farmstead realize their own value while accepting the fact that too many "pretenders" in the stands simply do not value them or their life outside of their ability to block, tackle, run, and catch a football.

cx500d
July 9th, 2020, 10:53 AM
The horror....what are people going to do without the annual Fletcher's fix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfJUr3stzQ

BEAR
July 9th, 2020, 12:17 PM
The horror....what are people going to do without the annual Fletcher's fix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfJUr3stzQ

I had a coworker who ran one of those corn dog stands with her husband at the Arkansas state fair for years. The money they earned made me question why she was even coming to work. Medical and dental benefits. Smart cookie. xlolx

DFW HOYA
July 9th, 2020, 12:40 PM
Because the demand is inelastic for this product, they can charge whatever they want. It's up to $5 each and I'll guess $6 in 2021.

BEAR
July 9th, 2020, 12:51 PM
Because the demand is inelastic for this product, they can charge whatever they want. It's up to $5 each and I'll guess $6 in 2021.

It was crazy the profit on those things! She said they'd order the cases of hot dogs, cases of sticks, and tons of batter. They already owned one of those food truck/stands so once they burned past the cost of supplies (typically in two days) it was all profit for weeks! I asked her how much they average per day in sales or how many they sell in a day and she said around 1000 corndogs a day at $6 each. Some days it'd be a little less while other days they would run out of on-hand supplies. xlolx Cool thing about her operation is her husband would make the corndogs right in front of the crowds and serve them hot. He just never stopped the whole 14 to 16 hours they were on site. Got to admit the smell of deep fried buttered batter draws them in every time!

Bisonoline
July 9th, 2020, 07:52 PM
It was crazy the profit on those things! She said they'd order the cases of hot dogs, cases of sticks, and tons of batter. They already owned one of those food truck/stands so once they burned past the cost of supplies (typically in two days) it was all profit for weeks! I asked her how much they average per day in sales or how many they sell in a day and she said around 1000 corndogs a day at $6 each. Some days it'd be a little less while other days they would run out of on-hand supplies. xlolx Cool thing about her operation is her husband would make the corndogs right in front of the crowds and serve them hot. He just never stopped the whole 14 to 16 hours they were on site. Got to admit the smell of deep fried buttered batter draws them in every time!

Love good fair food.

ASU33
July 9th, 2020, 07:55 PM
Love good fair food.

Yes sir!