PDA

View Full Version : Move spring sports to summer?

jajfitz
July 7th, 2020, 07:01 AM
It seems better than 50-50 that 2020 fall sports will be moved to spring 2021. This will create a logistical log jam in many athletic departments. Is moving 2021 springs sports to summer 2021 feasible?

BEAR
July 7th, 2020, 07:12 AM
How can the fall sports in the north be moved to spring? I lived there and it’s still snowing and frozen if I recall. Maine in March is NOT football weather.

jajfitz
July 7th, 2020, 07:46 AM
I am not a weather expert but wouldn't playing in November-December in Maine be the same as March? I am picturing a shortened regular season (For football maybe only eight games. All league?) starting March 27, Ends May 22nd. A sixteen team playoff with the championship June 19. Spring sports start Memorial Day weekend with championships late August-Labor Day. I think having the CWS Labor Day weekend might be neat. Now. When to start the regular 2021 football season? Might have to wait until October. Have another shortened season of eight games in nine weeks.

dewey
July 7th, 2020, 08:32 AM
We get snow here in March, April and early May but I do not think it is too much different than October, November and December.

Now the hard part would be is typically imiddle to late December there are not too many teams playing but most if not all teams will be playing in March.

If that is what the NCAA, schools and health experts think is the best course of action to protect the student athletes, coaches and other staff i am all for it.

It does make you wonder would it be a full schedule because if it started in March and went through June there would not be much downtime between a spring season and a normal fall season in 2021.

How does that limited downtime affect student athletes ability to get healthy both physically and mentally after the season and before the next season.

Dewey

ST_Lawson
July 7th, 2020, 09:09 AM
I am not a weather expert but wouldn't playing in November-December in Maine be the same as March? I am picturing a shortened regular season (For football maybe only eight games. All league?) starting March 27, Ends May 22nd. A sixteen team playoff with the championship June 19. Spring sports start Memorial Day weekend with championships late August-Labor Day. I think having the CWS Labor Day weekend might be neat. Now. When to start the regular 2021 football season? Might have to wait until October. Have another shortened season of eight games in nine weeks.

Idk about Maine, but in Macomb, IL it'd be pretty close. November and March are usually pretty similar in terms of temperature and rain/snow here (although I know that's not the case everywhere).
It looks like Orono, ME is about the same on average as well: https://weatherspark.com/y/27435/Average-Weather-in-Orono-Maine-United-States-Year-Round

I would think that a shortened season starting in late March might work, but more like March 20-May 8 because many schools are already done with spring semester by the second week of May. Otherwise, you're probably bumping into graduation ceremonies and dealing with all the students being gone (assuming they're not all online at that point anyway).

Bisonator
July 7th, 2020, 09:28 AM
This is just dumb. Might as well just cancel everything for a year or until we have a vaccine at that point. xsmhx

Professor Chaos
July 7th, 2020, 09:33 AM
It seems better than 50-50 that 2020 fall sports will be moved to spring 2021. This will create a logistical log jam in many athletic departments. Is moving 2021 springs sports to summer 2021 feasible?
It would be a headache but I'm sure almost everyone involved would rather have fall sports in the spring than no fall sports at all in the 20/21 academic year. Athletic Departments will figure out a way to make it work especially if it means salvaging a football season.

I don't think it would make any sense to torpedo the normal 2021 season in order to have some bastardized version of the 2020 season in summer 2021. If they're going to have a spring football season it'll need to be done by Memorial Day IMO. That probably means starting practice in February and games in March.

The big question I'd have is would the NFL play ball with the NCAA and move all their pre-draft stuff back in order to allow the athletes to compete in their college season? If not, things will get messy with the elite players sitting out especially at the P5 level. I'd suspect there would be plenty of that with a spring football season anyway since the elite prospects wouldn't want to jeopardize their NFL future playing college football only a few months before their rookie NFL season would kick off.

wapiti
July 7th, 2020, 09:50 AM

This is a really stupid idea. Fall sports should remain in the fall and they should go on as normal this fall.
Covid is not nearly as bad as it has been made out to be. We just need to protect the vulnerable and the other 98% may go on as normal.

This thread could very well belong in the political forum.

Redbird 4th & short
July 7th, 2020, 10:08 AM
This is a really stupid idea. Fall sports should remain in the fall and they should go on as normal this fall.
Covid is not nearly as bad as it has been made out to be. We just need to protect the vulnerable and the other 98% may go on as normal.

This thread could very well belong in the political forum.
well, it was fine until your post, right ?

WestCoastAggie
July 7th, 2020, 05:25 PM
Some districts, like the MEAC, will have schools that will not want to pay for student housing once the Spring Semester ends.

Go Green
July 8th, 2020, 05:21 AM

Let's assume for the sake of argument that college sports do not happen this Fall.

Then what?

dgtw
July 8th, 2020, 06:36 AM
Let's assume for the sake of argument that college sports do not happen this Fall.

Then what?

Then they just don’t happen. Life goes on without football this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony215
July 8th, 2020, 07:07 AM
Ideally you could have camps for fall sports start January 2nd through the end of January and the seasons could start February 1st running through May 1st. That's pretty much what a normal fall season looks like 13 weeks to play 11-12 games plus the playoffs which could be held. Now the other bowl games would probably be cancelled for 2020 but the major bowls are built into the college football playoffs anyways (Orange, Rose, Sugar and Fiesta). As for FCS playoffs in the spring I wouldn't count on it unless they reduce the field down to 4-8 teams. Most college spring graduations are held at football stadiums on Saturdays so the playoff games could always be shifted to Sundays if it's during graduation time.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 8th, 2020, 03:30 PM
well, it was fine until your post, right ?

Exactly, there was nothing poli going on until he hinted at it with his post. Keep it off this board or I'll wipe it off your radar ladies and gents.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 8th, 2020, 03:33 PM
I was on the phone this morning with the ticket office and I asked about this and I can assure you that spring football is an option that they are considering and that would lead me to believe that most schools are as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 8th, 2020, 03:34 PM

This is also a very probably option as far as I can see.

ST_Lawson
July 8th, 2020, 04:30 PM

True. We all love football, but life will go on without it for a season.

My biggest question though is how do we handle things like athlete eligibility? Will the NCAA allow an extra year for sports that are cancelled completely like they did for some in the spring...like this year just won't count in the calculation for how many years you can play and how many years you have to get those years in? Essentially an automatic extra "redshirt" year for everyone?

walliver
July 10th, 2020, 03:37 PM
Summer sports for colleges make no sense. I know the baseball playoff go well into summer, but for most schools the season ends by graduation time.

It makes little sense to play "college" sports when most college students are not on campus - it just seems like minor league games with college logos.

Anthony215
July 10th, 2020, 03:48 PM
Due to the pandemic and most universities going remotely for the fall I believe many students will be taking summer classes next year to stay on track for graduating on time. And if Spring football went into late June I'm certain that would boost summer school attendance for many schools not just the FBS but FCS as well. The first summer session ends prior to 4th of July so kids still can hit the beaches and enjoy 6 weeks off from class before the Fall 2021 semester begins.

Tuna85
July 11th, 2020, 01:30 PM
Let's see, summer football in the South...June..nah, July..definitely no. Would have a greater chance of losing players to heat stroke than Covid.