PDA

View Full Version : What school would like to see get a football program?

MarkCCU
June 19th, 2007, 07:01 AM
My choice would be for the College of Charleston. The cougs have the recognition gon the baseball diamond and the basketball court. Recruiting might not be as difficult and it would create a great, city rivalry. There isn't any room in the SoCon for them right now but they can always join the Big South.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

CSUBUCDAD
June 19th, 2007, 07:13 AM
That would be pretty neat. But it will never happen.

bluehenbillk
June 19th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Villanova xsmiley_wix

TheBisonator
June 19th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Vermont. One of the only two state flagship universities (along with Alaska-Anchorage) without a football program. I'd love to see a decent FCS Vermont football team alongside their powerful mid-major basketball team. Didn't they have a team up until the mid-70's or so??

dgreco
June 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Vermont. One of the only two state flagship universities (along with Alaska-Anchorage) without a football program. I'd love to see a decent FCS Vermont football team alongside their powerful mid-major basketball team. Didn't they have a team up until the mid-70's or so??

they did, and I agree it would be great to get a team back. I was going to say Vermont or Alaska Anchorage, the only think for AA is the travel.

TheBisonator
June 19th, 2007, 07:27 AM
they did, and I agree it would be great to get a team back. I was going to say Vermont or Alaska Anchorage, the only think for AA is the travel.

Plus they would have to move to DI to become an FCS team. And I think FCS would be the only good option for UAA as far as travel goes, because there are at least a few teams out west in the FCS, or at least a lot more than the number of DII teams. If they stayed in DII and added football, they could only find literally 4 DII teams in the Pacific Northwest to play.

I think it would be a good step up for their basketball team if they decided to make the DI jump. They already host the Great Alaska Shootout every year, and they're able to beat a few DI teams every once in a while. Why not go at it??

dgreco
June 19th, 2007, 07:30 AM
DII they would have teh 3 Washington Teams and Humbolt St. after that they have long travels to the Dakota's and midwest. DI FCS would make sense, and as you said just last year they played a good shootout, if they move to DI they will get some better players and be able to contend.

TheBisonator
June 19th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Here's what I got for the teams closest to UAA in each division. These are all the teams located west of the Great Plains States:

DII:

Humboldt State
Central Washington
Western Washington
Western Oregon
Dixie State
Western New Mexico
New Mexico Highlands
Adams State
Western State
Fort Lewis
Eastern New Mexico
Colorado Mines

FCS:

Eastern Washington
Montana
Montana State
UC-Davis
Cal-Poly
Idaho State
Sacramento State
Portland State
Southern Utah
San Diego
Northern Arizona
Weber State
Northern Colorado

So yeah, I suppose there's enough teams in each division, but there's more teams closer to Anchorage in FCS. A lot of the DII schools I listed are in Colorado and New Mexico.

Seahawks Fan
June 19th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Two Northeast Conference schools:

Fairleigh Dickinson
Mount St. Marys

813Jag
June 19th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I would like the University of Tampa would bring back their program. Here's a brief history (http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/pressbox/8121/ut_hist.htm).

Pauly LB
June 19th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Vermont -- if you are a good football player in any of the high schools in Vermont you have to leave the state in order to play. In fact David Ball from New Hampshire I believe went to Spaulding High School in Barre Vermont.

FYI -- Vermont has not had a football program since 1974...

DetroitFlyer
June 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Back in the day, they were Dayton's biggest rival. All time, Dayton has a losing record against Xavier, and Xavier is the team we have played the most in our 101 year history. Xavier started up a club team last year, driven almost 100% by the students. Could it grow into an NCAA, ( PFL ), program? Only time will tell.

UncleSam
June 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Drexel

henfan
June 19th, 2007, 08:18 AM
George Mason & Virginia Commonwealth. It makes no sense that the two largest schools in the Commonwealth of VA cannot find a way to sponsor football teams. As GMU becomes more of a residential campus, perhaps FB will become a reality

Sir William
June 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Duke :)

Za-KEE-uS
June 19th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I'd say the University of New Orleans, The only college football team they have in New Orleans is Tulane

Ivytalk
June 19th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I'd like to see Boston University bring back FB, but it will never happen.xsmhx

Also, Temple should enter the FCS. They'll never compete at the FBS level.xtwocentsx

CID1990
June 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM
My choice would be for the College of Charleston. The cougs have the recognition gon the baseball diamond and the basketball court. Recruiting might not be as difficult and it would create a great, city rivalry. There isn't any room in the SoCon for them right now but they can always join the Big South.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I wake up some mornings with a B*N*R after dreaming that the College of Charleston started a football program.

Ivytalk
June 19th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I wake up some mornings with a B*N*R after dreaming that the College of Charleston started a football program.

Really? You've gotta get out more often!:p

Col Hogan
June 19th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Back in the day, they were Dayton's biggest rival. All time, Dayton has a losing record against Xavier, and Xavier is the team we have played the most in our 101 year history. Xavier started up a club team last year, driven almost 100% by the students. Could it grow into an NCAA, ( PFL ), program? Only time will tell.

Interesting...where is the team playing...I visited the campus with my son when he was looking...

It's a very nice campus, but pretty compact...

SoCon48
June 19th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Elon. It would help the SoCon.

Libertine
June 19th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Radfurd. So they could suck at something else. xsmiley_wix

MplsBison
June 19th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Definitely Vermont.

Ridiculous that they don't bring the program back.

As far as Alaska goes, UAF (or simply "Alaska" as they call themselves now) is technically the flagship as they were the first school established using the Morrill Act money.

But it would be cool for UAA to get a football team, I agree. They'd have the same extra game exemption that Hawaii gets.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM
You're going to laugh at this, but I'm ready for it.

St. Bonaventure.

http://web.sbu.edu/friedsam/archives/football/index.html

BearsCountry
June 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Wichita State

They already have facilities that would be better than alot of FCS schools and they havent played football since the 80's.

http://www.goshockers.com/pics25/640/LI/LIBTSREITWRZQTX.20061012145614.jpg

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7500&KEY=&ATCLID=613203

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/7500/virtualtours.html?DB_OEM_ID=7500#

andy7171
June 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM
UMBC
I'm pretty sure the school is over 14,000 students, they already have a nice stadium for lacrosse. Only problem would be that it's even more of a commuter school than Towson is. There have been rumblings that football could be started, but nothing has come of it as of yet.

They are currently an America East school, but have been in the Big South before.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM
UMBC
I'm pretty sure the school is over 14,000 students, they already have a nice stadium for lacrosse. Only problem would be that it's even more of a commuter school than Towson is. There have been rumblings that football could be started, but nothing has come of it as of yet.

They are currently an America East school, but have been in the Big South before.

If UMBC and Vermont did that... helllooooooo America East football!!!

Of course this will never happen. :p

89Hen
June 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Vermont
Wichita State
Xavier
George Mason
UNC-Wilmington
Seattle
Cal State-Fullerton
UT-Arlington

douglasdmb
June 19th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Wichita State

They already have facilities that would be better than alot of FCS schools and they havent played football since the 80's.

No doubt. There isn't much else that would make me happier than to see a gold-filled Cessna Stadium for a Shox-Bears football game.

That'll be one helluva day...xthumbsupx

Appaholic
June 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Western Carolina.....no, but seriously.......Western Carolina

Appaholic
June 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Vermont
Wichita State
Xavier
George Mason
UNC-Wilmington
Seattle
Cal State-Fullerton
UT-Arlington

Back in the early '90's, UNCW had a club football team that was driven 100% by the students. I played club ball for App St and we used to love the games against them. Go play ball and then have a bonfire party on the beach.......good times. Don't know if they still have a club team or no, but I think the school would be large enough to support a program....have a regional rivel in Coastal right down the road.....

Seahawks Fan
June 19th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Wichita State

With facilities like that, why don't they play football?

BullsFanatic
June 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Marquette had a good football history. Marquette played in the 1937 Cotton Bowl (http://www.marquetteclubfootball.com/history.htm), and had a program as recently as 1960. A long shot, but it would be cool to have them back.

A few others I'd like to see are Saint Louis University and Witchita State xnodx. I know North Florida would like a team, but I'm not sure they have the support or funding in place yet (just moved to D1).

UNH 40
June 19th, 2007, 11:10 AM

As a born and raised Vermonter, I would love to see Vermont get a team. It is embarrassing that VT doesn't have a team. Contrary to what many people think Vermont especially in recent years has put out some very talented football players that would have attended UVM if they had a team. Players like David Ball, Tucker Peterson, Muji and Hussain Karim, Jake Eaton, Nate Long, and several others who have played at the FCS level and been standouts. I am close friends with all of the guys mention above and we talk all the time about how we would have attended UVM to play if they had a team. I also think that they would develop into a very good program up in Burlington, VT. For the reason that it is a beautiful campus, people of Vermont would pile into the stadium to see a game there, and the education is tremendous.

If UVM did have a team it would be one of the hardest places to play in the FCS late in the season. When November in Vermont hits snow and bone chilling temperatures usually come with it. If they ever made it to the post season and had a home game or two or three they would be very hard to be beat.

But unfortunately it is all a dream and one that is not likely to come true due to the stuborn and foolish leadership at the school.xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

BullsFanatic
June 19th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I forgot one....UNC-Charlotte. I know they don't have many fans on here, but I'd like to see them seal the deal and add football! :)

BearsCountry
June 19th, 2007, 11:30 AM
No doubt. There isn't much else that would make me happier than to see a gold-filled Cessna Stadium for a Shox-Bears football game.

That'll be one helluva day...xthumbsupx

IMO Them not having a football team is the only thing holding us back from having a blood bath type rivalry with them.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
40, I know where you are coming from, but it has to be a financial issue as well. Is the old UVM stadium still in existence and a feasible venue for football? If not, then you're talking about an even greater startup cost. From everything I've read on the America East Forum by UVM fans/alumni, then getting any funding from the state legislature would be next to impossible. And they'd probably have to stand in line behind the project to get a new arena for ice hockey and basketball. And then there's Title IX. UVM would have to have incredible institutional fortitude and unity to overcome all of that. Don't be too hard on your Green Mountain brethren. And if the roles were reversed, then it would be just as difficult in New Hampshire.

But to honor some better times, I scanned a page out of the 1973 UNH Yearbook (1972 football season) that I thought many would enjoy. (Sorry, but the image got reversed when scanned.) And I'll tell you that it was very cool to alternate Homecoming opponents between Maine and Vermont back when I was in school. It made for terrific tradition that attracted alumni back to campus.

jessesd
June 19th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Syracuse......lol

Seriously, I think St. Bonaventure would be a good school and so is Vermont!

andy7171
June 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM
If UVM did have a team it would be one of the hardest places to play in the FCS late in the season. When November in Vermont hits snow and bone chilling temperatures usually come with it. If they ever made it to the post season and had a home game or two or three they would be very hard to be beat.
Uh-oh. Better cross off mplsbison off the UVM support team, unloess y'all are prepared to build a dome!xrolleyesx

Casey_Orourke
June 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I would love to see University of Texas-San Antonio get a football team. It would be a closer alternative than the going all the way Austin and putting up with all the UT hoopla. I am also hoping that if they do, Portland State might another option when they play a Southland team instead of traveling to the schools in the eastern part of the conference.

UTSA is researching a football team right now, but they have some unrealistic goals. They are thinking of being an independent FCS for a couple of years....Join the Southland Conference for a few years (2-5) then jump to a BCS division conference.

But what the people really want in this state is a 1-A team good enough to beat everybody on their schedule, be the sacrificial lamb to UT and A&M so they can build up to their annual game and also pad their schedule in their running for the "FICTIONAL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP".

NoCoDanny
June 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
It would be funny if someone inserted the name of a school that already has a team thereby implying that they really don't because they are so bad. I'm surprised nobody has thought of that joke it would be so hilarious.

But on a serious note I'm like to see the University of Denver restart their program and join the Big Sky.

ChooChoo
June 19th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Georgia State of course. Having a program in Atlanta (in the Dome) has the potential to be a big draw for neighboring schools. Georgia Southern, Jacksonville State, Chattanooga, Appalachian St., Furman, (etc.) are well within driving distance and could bring large crowds to games. Air travel would be easy as well. Not to mention money game offers against FBS schools would arrive quickly IMHO. I think that overall we would be competitive relatively soon.
Other large universities I'd like to see start up:
UNC Charlotte - Great natural rival, plus scheduling a match up the same weekend as an NFL Falcon/Panther game would be nirvana (I'd accept any Carolina school for that matter).
UTSA - I think they are very similar to Georgia State and have big potential.
George Mason - CAA mates that have persevered on the club team circuit for years and deserve a program.
Wichita State - I think they would bring a lot to the table as far fan support, recognition, and competition.

Model Citizen
June 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
But on a serious note I'm like to see the University of Denver restart their program and join the Big Sky.

With room and board, it's 40 thousand bucks a year to attend DU.

If they ever get past their hockey/lacrosse mentality, they might go non-scholarship in the PFL to keep costs within reason. I'm not holding my breath.

already123
June 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I'd like to see

Gonzaga...gotta have something to go with the basketball program
Lamar...bring it back! No football in Texas?
UTSA...get opportunity to be a good program
Cal Fullerton
George Mason...where'd it go?

Seahawks Fan
June 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM
It would be funny if someone inserted the name of a school that already has a team thereby implying that they really don't because they are so bad. I'm surprised nobody has thought of that joke it would be so hilarious.

Check out post no. 3. LOL

UNHWILDCATS05
June 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
If not, then you're talking about an even greater startup cost. From everything I've read on the America East Forum by UVM fans/alumni, then getting any funding from the state legislature would be next to impossible.
Even thought it would be great. I can think of two big problems:

1. The VT legislature is too busy trying to decide if they should secede from the U.S. to worry about such petty things as a football program that may bring untold benefits to the school.

2. Hippys don't like sports (Hacky Sack excluded). Attendance would likely be an issue.

NoCoDanny
June 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
With room and board, it's 40 thousand bucks a year to attend DU.

If they ever get past their hockey/lacrosse mentality, they might go non-scholarship in the PFL to keep costs within reason. I'm not holding my breath.

They will never add it but I'm just saying I'd like them to.

They screwed the pooch in 1961 when they dropped the program. They had a 30K on campus stadium and would have ended up joined the WAC with Wyoming, CSU, and Air Force if they had held course...

poly51
June 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM
University of The Pacific Great football tradition. Nice stadium.
UC Santa Barbara Nice stadium.
Cal State Bakersfield It would be a great football city.
Cal State Fullerton Great athletic department

GoldandBlack
June 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM

I think Bob Jones University will have a football team before Duke does. :D

Go...gate
June 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Fordham pulled this off - it was a great triumph for both the students and administrators who wanted club, then intercollegiate football. They really set the example by which a football program can be rebuilt.

Go...gate
June 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'd like to see Boston University bring back FB, but it will never happen.xsmhx

Also, Temple should enter the FCS. They'll never compete at the FBS level.xtwocentsx

Agreed. Temple would be a great addition to the CAA.

We have a summer intern who attends BU. They tried again to raise interest in re-starting FB this year and the administration threw Title IX at them as a basis for maintaining the status quo.

Tod
June 19th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Even thought it would be great. I can think of two big problems:

1. The VT legislature is too busy trying to decide if they should succeed from the U.S. to worry about such petty things as a football program that may bring untold benefits to the school.

2. Hippys don't like sports (Hacky Sack excluded). Attendance would likely be an issue.

Hey, if they secede, then they're national champs every year! :D

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Agreed. Temple would be a great addition to the CAA.

We have a summer intern who attends BU. They tried again to raise interest in re-starting FB this year and the administration threw Title IX at them as a basis for maintaining the status quo.

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Am I the only one who can't see BU seeing their brand new hockey stadium, "Harry Agganis Arena", and shaking my head knowing that Agganis was a huge FOOTBALL star for the Terriers?

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

And the Title IX thing is a complete crock. If they're not smart enough to do it, they could always hire a Lehigh graduate. WE always seem to be able to balance wrestling AND football and still manage to get an "A" from the Gender Equality commission. xtwocentsx

89Hen
June 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Attendance would likely be an issue.
It is for much of I-AA. There were 38 teams that averaged less than 5000 per game last year including three from the CAA and several that had pretty good years or some recent success in I-AA...

Towson - 4592
UT-Martin - 4118
Colgate - 3493
Albany - 3115

What would you consinder an issue? Remember, it wasn't that long ago that you were averaging 3700.

Ivytalk
June 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
It is for much of I-AA. There were 38 teams that averaged less than 5000 per game last year including three from the CAA and several that had pretty good years or some recent success in I-AA...

Towson - 4592
UT-Martin - 4118
Colgate - 3493
Albany - 3115

What would you consinder an issue? Remember, it wasn't that long ago that you were averaging 3700.

That Colgate figure is misleading. Based on personal experience, I can attest that, although there maybe only 3500 or so inside, there are about 10,000 more partying outside!:D

dgreco
June 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
do you have a link for complete attendance listings?

hens21a
June 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Personally, I would like to see Drexel, VCU, UNC-Wilmington, George Mason along with Georgia State develop programs so that we have a complete conference in the CAA and not just considered a basketball league. Then the American East can develop their league because they can have their Olympic Sport Members back.

douglasdmb
June 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
do you have a link for complete attendance listings?

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/index.html

already123
June 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
love to see Northern Colorado get one too...they've got a pretty nice campus to work with

Mountain Panther
June 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Wichita State. Shock 'em all!

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics10/100/RU/RUBUDXEREHIXKNJ.20061019220910.jpg

AZGrizFan
June 19th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Hawaii manages..... xeyebrowx

scbc
June 19th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I would personally like to see Winthrop university start up football. Great location and could get some good talent from the Carolina's.

already123
June 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM
ah....good choice

AZBison
June 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM
University of Phoenix. They already have the nicest football stadium in the world.

Seriously, I would like to see Gonzaga start a football program but only because I will be going there in the fall.

already123
June 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM
why Gonzaga? Spokane is not very appealing IMO

AZBison
June 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM
why Gonzaga? Spokane is not very appealing IMO

Well, I'm getting a law degree there. Unfortunately I didn't get accepted into AzSU or UAz. After having previously dropped out of college for bad academics, I didn't really have too many choices.

PeacockRaider
June 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
SAINT PETER'S xbawlingx

Fresno St. Alum
June 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM
UC Irvine
Pacific
S.Alabama
Vermont
DePaul
Florida Gulf Coast
UTPA(so they could get in a conference)

Mountaineer
June 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Freakin' East Tennessee State. xmadx :(

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM
St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence
Marquette
DePaul

Then you'd really have a Big East!

http://www.hoyabasketball.com/images/helmets16.gif

bigd
June 19th, 2007, 08:08 PM
All of the big west schools.

ISUMatt
June 19th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Wichita State, Bradley, DePaul

MplsBison
June 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM
The VT legislature is too busy trying to decide if they should succeed from the U.S. to worry about such petty things as a football program that may bring untold benefits to the school.

I thought New Hampshire was the free state project.

PantherRob82
June 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Vermont
Wichita State
Boston

GeeWiz
June 19th, 2007, 09:20 PM
St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence
Marquette
DePaul

Then you'd really have a Big East!

http://www.hoyabasketball.com/images/helmets16.gif

St. John's had a program already.

I'd like to see the following schools have football programs...

VCU and/or George Mason - I agree the big Virginia schools should have D-1 programs
Manhattan College - They would have a natural Bronx rivalry with Fordham ... and they could play their home games at Van Cortland Park just like the baseball team! xlolx
NYU - Imagine playing a football team who's nickname are the "Violets"? xoopsx xlolx

poly51
June 19th, 2007, 10:23 PM
All of the big west schools.

They all had football at one time and dropped it except for Cal Poly and UC Davis.

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM
At the risk of opening old wounds, it would be great to bring football back to the Univ. of Vermont. Last year was 1974. Few years before that, the Catamounts actually won the old Yankee Conference.

The RECENT "steady as you go, don't get excited" GOOD NEWS is that an enterprising sophomore-to-be at UVM has actually gotten a commitment from the UVM Club Sports Department AND has raised enough $$ from various sources to launch a Club Team starting this fall. Coach has been named, uni's purchased, schedule established, and, by all accounts, they are ready to go.

It would be great to see UVM and BU bring back the sport and we could resurrect the Yankee Conference: UNH, Maine, UMass, URI, UVM, BU, and maybe add Albany or even Quinnipiac (in CT) if they ever get the urge!

Go CLUB Catamounts! xthumbsupx

Gorilla89
June 19th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Kansas Jayhawks.xnodx xnodx xnodx

TheValleyRaider
June 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
American University in DC. It'll never happen (Title IX, facilities, etc), but it'd still be cool to get them to the all-sport level in the Patriot League.

I'll second the calls for returning Vermont and BU to the gridiron, although I'll continue not holding my breath.

Gorilla89
June 20th, 2007, 12:03 AM
St. John's had a program already.

I'd like to see the following schools have football programs...

VCU and/or George Mason - I agree the big Virginia schools should have D-1 programs
Manhattan College - They would have a natural Bronx rivalry with Fordham ... and they could play their home games at Van Cortland Park just like the baseball team! xlolx
NYU - Imagine playing a football team who's nickname are the "Violets"? xoopsx xlolx

Notre Dame will never join the Big East in football. The reason? $$$$$$$

ucdtim17
June 20th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Notre Dame will never join the Big East in football. The reason? $$$$$$$

The reason is not "$$$$$," the reason is there's no good reason TO join a conference

TheValleyRaider
June 20th, 2007, 12:10 AM

That Violet (singular color, like Cardinal or Crimson) program was one of college football's powerhouses in the 1920s and 30s. Played most of their games at home in Yankee Stadium.

GeeWiz
June 20th, 2007, 12:39 AM
That Violet (singular color, like Cardinal or Crimson) program was one of college football's powerhouses in the 1920s and 30s. Played most of their games at home in Yankee Stadium.

Yeah and Fordham and CCNY were powerhouses back then too ... still would be hard to have a name like Violets nowadays.

Fresno St. Alum
June 20th, 2007, 02:43 AM

It says Violets plural on the D-III website

New York University Violets
2006-2007 Men's Basketball Schedule
(22-6, 8-6 UAA)

I'd like to see UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs play football. Their helmet would probably be the UC with the slug weaving though it like on their sports logo.

Seahawks Fan
June 20th, 2007, 06:23 AM
The reason is not "$$$$$," the reason is there's no good reason TO join a conference

Because there is too much $$$$$ in remaining independent.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM
They could probably make roughly the same amount of money overall if they joined the Big Ten.

Their fans are simply too pompous to ever allow themselves to join a conference.

Cobblestone
June 20th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I'd like to see Boston University bring their program back. They had a few bad seasons towards the end but for many years in the 80's they had some of the best teams in the old Yankee Conference. Having played against those teams I can testify to that. The decision to drop the program was made by an a-hole president (John Silber) who basically had a personal dislike for football. Silber has been gone for quite a while so I think now they should bring it back. They still have Nickerson Field which they could use again right away, just put the goal posts back up. It seems like a waste of a good facility to not have a program to play on that field.

UNHWILDCATS05
June 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Your right and that was an issue for UNH then too as there was talk back then whether UNH should maintain their football program...

Just something to think about, that's all.

AggieFinn
June 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Cal State _______ (fill in the blank)

There must be some rich alumni, who need some football at their ole' CSU?

http://www.sfsu.edu/~speech/img/csupage3.gif

OldAggieAlum
June 20th, 2007, 06:27 PM

Out of that list, I think all but Stanislaus, Monterey Bay, Bakersfield, Channel Islands, San Bernadino, Dominguez Hills, and San Marcos have had football at one time. Even the Maritime Academy once had a team.

I would like to see Evergreen State in Washington because of their mascot, the geoduck, and because they could potentially join the Great West. Their fight song:

Go, Geoducks go,
Through the mud and the sand,
let's go.
Siphon high, squirt it out,
swivel all about,
let it all hang out.

Go, Geoducks go,
Stretch your necks when the tide
is low
Siphon high, squirt it out,
swivel all about,
let it all hang out.

http://www.evergreen.edu/athletics/geoduck.htm

Franks Tanks
June 20th, 2007, 09:40 PM

http://www.sfsu.edu/~speech/img/csupage3.gif

I apoligize for my ignorance, but is this a list of California state schools that dont have football? Didnt long beach, and fullerton play 1-A back in the day? Please enlighten me I know next to nothing about Cali state schools and theri FB past or present.

JoltinJoe
June 20th, 2007, 10:47 PM

True!

Fordham all-time record vs. NYU. 33-6! :) Damn, we were good back then.

My choice: St. Mary's of CA. Is there a school with a more storied football past not playing football today than St. Mary's?

poly51
June 20th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I apoligize for my ignorance, but is this a list of California state schools that dont have football? Didnt long beach, and fullerton play 1-A back in the day? Please enlighten me I know next to nothing about Cali state schools and theri FB past or present.

Used to have I-A Football
Cal State Los Angeles
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State Long Beach
UC Santa Barbara
UOP

Used to have I-AA Football
Cal State Northridge

Used to have D-II Football
Cal State Chico
Sonoma State
Cal State Hayward
San Francisco State
Cal Poly Pomona
UC Riverside

JoltinJoe
June 20th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Fordham pulled this off - it was a great triumph for both the students and administrators who wanted club, then intercollegiate football. They really set the example by which a football program can be rebuilt.

When Fordham discontinued football in 1954, who was its coach?

A: Two weeks earlier, Fordham had hired a young alumnus with no prior head coaching experience, who vowed to return Fordham to the first rank of college football. When Fordham announced the end of its football program in 1954, it released this man from his contract and he went back to his position as an NFL assistant, again waiting for his first head coaching chance.

His name was Vince Lombardi. xdohx

Franks Tanks
June 20th, 2007, 10:52 PM
True!

Fordham all-time record vs. NYU. 33-6! :) Damn, we were good back then.

My choice: St. Mary's of CA. Is there a school with a more storied football past not playing football today than St. Mary's?

Probably not---of course you have the University of Chicago, founding member of the Big 10, legitimate power until WW II, and home of Jay Berwanger teh first ever Heisman winner. Of course they still play ball sort-of at the D-III level

poly51
June 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM

Current California football schools

FBS
Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA
San Jose State
Fresno State
San Diego State

FCS
UC Davis
Sac State
Cal Poly
University of San Diego

D-II
Humbolt State

JoltinJoe
June 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Yeah and Fordham and CCNY were powerhouses back then too ... still would be hard to have a name like Violets nowadays.

Fordham football chant circa 1940:

Mares eat oats;
And does eat oats;
And little Rams eat Violets.:D

Franks Tanks
June 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Current California football schools

FBS
Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA
San Jose State
Fresno State
San Diego State

FCS
UC Davis
Sac State
Cal Poly
University of San Diego

D-II
Humbolt State

Wow what a shame all those schools without football, and only one Cali school plays D-II ball very strange. We must have 16 D-II schools in Pa alone. Sonoma state doesnt even sponsor football anymore, home of Larry Allen the scariest man on Earth

poly51
June 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM

A few other Caifonia schools that used to have football

I-AA
University of Santa Clara
Saint Mary's

Others
Cal Lutheran (May still have D-III)
Cal Tech
La Verne
Loyola
Occidental
Pepperdine
Redlands
Whittier
Azusa Pacific (Still plays at D-III)

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 20th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I'd like to see Boston University bring their program back. They had a few bad seasons towards the end but for many years in the 80's they had some of the best teams in the old Yankee Conference. Having played against those teams I can testify to that. The decision to drop the program was made by an a-hole president (John Silber) who basically had a personal dislike for football. Silber has been gone for quite a while so I think now they should bring it back. They still have Nickerson Field which they could use again right away, just put the goal posts back up. It seems like a waste of a good facility to not have a program to play on that field.

I will second your recollections of the powerhouse BU teams of the late 1970's and much of the 1980's. Rick Taylor, Head Coach and later HC and AD, was an unbeatable recruiter, brought a business-like approach to the game back when other YC coaches were merely X's & O's guys, and generally played havoc with every other team in the league. His teams were very, very talented, tough, and well-coached. They were in the 1-AA playoffs more often than not and always won a game or two.

During those years, for UNH anyway, playing BU actually became as big, if not a bigger game, than UMASS and UMAINE.

FYI, Rick Taylor eventually turned the reigns over to Steve Stetson (now HC at Hamilton College for a 2nd go round), then later moved on to U of Cinncinati as AD (hired Tim Murphy as HC, now at Harvard), then moved on to Northwestern where he hired Gary Barnett who got the Wildcats to the Rose Bowl, then to major bowls in the following two years. Barnett then skipped for Boulder and got fired from that screwed up program. Taylor is now blissfully retired.

Another note on BU -- someone already mentioned it, I think: The sparkling new hockey / basketball arena, The Agganis Center, is named for arguably BU's most famous student-athlete (sorry, Jim Craig & company): local hero Harry Agganis who was a GREAT football (& baseball) star at BU and gained national recogition for himself and his team as an undergrad.

Finally, Nickerson Field really is ready to go. BU has the $$, just not the forsight in leadership...

ucdtim17
June 20th, 2007, 11:15 PM
A few other Caifonia schools that used to have football

I-AA
University of Santa Clara
Saint Mary's

Others
Cal Lutheran (May still have D-III)
Cal Tech
La Verne
Loyola
Occidental
Pepperdine
Redlands
Whittier
Azusa Pacific (Still plays at D-III)

USF was I-A as well (whatever it was back in the day)

JohnStOnge
June 21st, 2007, 06:32 AM
University of Texas at Arlington. It'd give the Southland another football program. It's in a talent-rich area but it would not represent recruiting competition for McNeese (like SE Louisiana does or Lamar would) because the Dallas area is beyond the zone from which more than 90 percent of McNeese players are taken.

MarkCCU
June 21st, 2007, 08:03 AM

That'd be nice. It'd go well with thier FABULOUS basketball program.xrolleyesx :D

You KEYDETS(I mean Cadets) are strange. If I wake up with a woody...I betcha it isn't because of the CofC. But I agree, CofC would be a great addition.

Elon. It would help the SoCon.

ha haxthumbsupx

They all had football at one time and dropped it except for Cal Poly and UC Davis.

I think San Diego could use a team.

douglasdmb
June 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM
When Fordham discontinued football in 1954, who was its coach?

A: Two weeks earlier, Fordham had hired a young alumnus with no prior head coaching experience, who vowed to return Fordham to the first rank of college football. When Fordham announced the end of its football program in 1954, it released this man from his contract and he went back to his position as an NFL assistant, again waiting for his first head coaching chance.

His name was Vince Lombardi. xdohx

If you're a Fordham (or Green Bay Packer) fan, I would recommend reading "When Pride Still Mattered," a biography on Lombardi written by David Maraniss. All kinds of good stuff about the old great Fordham teams.

Plus, it's a great book about one of the more interesting and notable icons in the history of American sports.

xreadx

89Hen
June 21st, 2007, 11:22 AM
American University in DC. It'll never happen (Title IX, facilities, etc), but it'd still be cool to get them to the all-sport level in the Patriot League.
I agree with the never happen part.

already123
June 21st, 2007, 11:33 AM
What?! Why dont you just nominate Gallaudet as well!?xcoffeex

Franks Tanks
June 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM
What?! Why dont you just nominate Gallaudet as well!?xcoffeex

They already have a football team

BearsCountry
June 21st, 2007, 12:04 PM
If you're a Fordham (or Green Bay Packer) fan, I would recommend reading "When Pride Still Mattered," a biography on Lombardi written by David Maraniss. All kinds of good stuff about the old great Fordham teams.

Plus, it's a great book about one of the more interesting and notable icons in the history of American sports.

xreadx

I know in a History of Mizzou Football book I got they have a game summary of a Fordham/Mizzou game in Yankee Stadium back in the day.

EPJr
June 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
I would like to see the BB members of the CAA also start football:
GMU - already have a club team
ODU - has plans in the works xthumbsupx
VCU - has to wait until 2010 (when anti-football president retires) xmadx
UNCW
Drexel - the most far fetched xsmhx
Georgia State - been making noises xrolleyesx

laxVik
June 21st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Long Beach State
Cal State Fullerton
Sonoma State
Chico State

JoltinJoe
June 22nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
I know in a History of Mizzou Football book I got they have a game summary of a Fordham/Mizzou game in Yankee Stadium back in the day.

Fordham hosted Missouri in the fall of 1942, the year after they met in the 1942 Sugar Bowl. I'm guessing the game was at the Polo Grounds, not Yankee Stadium. NYU used Yankee Stadium as its home field. Fordham's home field was the Polo Grounds.

Edit - Just checked the on-line media guide. The game was played November 21, 1942 at the Polo Grounds. Fordham won 20-12.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
I tried creating a lot of these teams on NCAA07, but you can only create 12 teams, no matter how much memory you have. :(

slostang
June 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
I would like to see University of Pacific restart their football program and join the FCS and the Great West Football Conference.

SDFS
June 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
How about Creighton University in Omaha..

GoAgs72
June 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Cal Lutheran is DIII and in 2007 will play Willamette, LaVerne, Whittier, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, Chapman, Occidental, Pomona-Pitzer, Redlands, Pacific Lutheran (Wash.). UC Davis last played Cal Lutheran in 1984, Williamette 1958, LaVerne 1936, Whittier 1972, Claremont - no games, Chapman - no games, Occidental 1971, Pomona 1963, Redlands - no games, Pacific Lutheran (Washington) - no games. I went to the last game at Cal Lutheran - small school and stadium and everyone hid under the stands during a thunderstorm but the Aggies won. These are part of the very small, very exclusive, very expensive, historically white conference. I suspect they are more diverse now. I don't think they are ready for FCS football. However, they are great for academics with very small class sizes.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
How about Creighton University in Omaha..

They would have the $$$ for football, but would never do it.

Gorilla89
June 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM

The reason is ALWAYS money.;)

BEAR
June 28th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I would like to see UAPB get a program....:D xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx

813Jag
June 28th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I would like to see UAPB get a program....:D xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx
xeekx xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Fresno St. Alum
June 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM
How about IUPUI, UTPA, Denver, & Stetson. Only in my dream world

813Jag
June 28th, 2007, 10:27 PM
How about IUPUI, UTPA, Denver, & Stetson. Only in my dream world
Another Florida team never hurts. xlolx

ucdtim17
June 28th, 2007, 10:55 PM
The reason is ALWAYS money.;)

Without getting into a big discussion about Notre Dame on this board, believe it or not, there is more to it than money

Gorilla89
June 28th, 2007, 11:15 PM
The only reason, with the exception of being tied to any Bowl Game,
is money. Are all the home games of any team in any conference
televised on CBS, NBC or ABC besides Notre Dame? You may have some
insider information, but I know that Notre Dame does not have to share
their Bowl Game or NBC monies with anyone. If you have that information
I don't blame you for not making a big deal of it on this forum, but I believe
that if money isn't the only reason, it is an very strong consideration.xthumbsupx

ucdtim17
June 28th, 2007, 11:48 PM
It's no insider information - I'll give you a couple reasons now.

1. ND gets to play whomever they want and truly play a national schedule.
2. This leads to ND being able to recruit nationally, moreso than anyone else.
3. ND does not have to bend over backwards for ESPN re: gametimes. Games are always the same time on saturday and there are no stupid wednesday or thursday games.
4. ND will be picked for the best bowl they're eligible for each year with no help from any conference, so why join?
5. There's pride in being an independent and the only school (save the academies) with a true national following. Joining a conference would marginalize and cheapen that.

just off the top of my head

Gorilla89
June 29th, 2007, 12:20 AM
And all those reasons have to do with money, in my view. They are
all valid, no question, my dad graduated from ND is 1936 so we had
to be ND fans. And he used to say, "due to money some teams must
play games on Thursday night, ND has the advatage of having a lot of
money and they tell the media what games they will or won't play,
where and at what time. A conference team can't do that. Hell, they
waited until the money was right before they played in any Bowl Games."

ND fans could fill the Rose Bowl if they played Temple. I just think it comes down to money. Or maybe. better stated, money related decisions.

ucdtim17
June 29th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Well everything is peripherally money-related. You and others implied that it was the only factor. No, there are other reasons to stay independent that aren't exclusively money-driven

Gorilla89
June 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Mea Culpa, money is the most important factor.

aggie6thman
June 29th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Back to the topic of this thread: Sacramento State. xnodx

Gorilla89
June 29th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Agreed.xnodx xnodx Now, when do they go to South Bend in 07?xlolx

Fresno St. Alum
June 29th, 2007, 02:21 AM
There is some new catholic school called the University of Sacramento. How about them they could give Sac St. a run for their money.

University of Sacramento - This is a new Catholic university being built in Sacramento, California. This master plan for the school shows what appears to be a football stadium on the southeast side of the campus.

http://www.universityofsacramento.org/

bigd
June 29th, 2007, 03:15 AM
University of Sacramento has a lot of potential but they are probably 20 years off. They plan to have 7000 students by 2035.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2007, 06:20 AM
1. ND gets to play whomever they want and truly play a national schedule.

Which is why they aren't making it to the BCS. Schedule is too hard.

Not exactly a good thing.

Both Ohio State and Florida are playing FCS teams for a reason.

2. This leads to ND being able to recruit nationally, moreso than anyone else.

False.

Recruits don't care about national schedules. Otherwise ND would be getting the top recruits that Ohio State and Florida ge every year.

the only school with a true national following.

Utterly false.

No more so than any other big BCS school.

BYU probably even has the same type of following.

andy7171
June 29th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Which is why they aren't making it to the BCS. Schedule is too hard.

Not exactly a good thing.

Both Ohio State and Florida are playing FCS teams for a reason.

False.

Recruits don't care about national schedules. Otherwise ND would be getting the top recruits that Ohio State and Florida ge every year.

Utterly false.

No more so than any other big BCS school.

BYU probably even has the same type of following.
I don't know which statement is more obsurd.
1- Saying ND's schedule is too hard with all three service academy's Standford and North Carolina.
or
2- Saying that BYU has the same following that ND does.

Sure they play Southern Cal and Michigan, but who else? And ND has about the same following as the Dallas Cowboys.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2007, 07:25 AM
No other team in the nation plays the top schools from arguably the best two conferences in the nation.

mcveyrl
June 29th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I would like to see the BB members of the CAA also start football:
GMU - already have a club team
ODU - has plans in the works xthumbsupx
VCU - has to wait until 2010 (when anti-football president retires) xmadx
UNCW
Drexel - the most far fetched xsmhx
Georgia State - been making noises xrolleyesx

I agree with this and also ETSU.

However, as far as GMU and VCU are concerned, at what point do you decide that the state is already saturated for recruiting purposes. There are two BCS schools and (UVa and Va Tech) and seven FCS schools (JMU, Richmond, W&M, Hampton, Norfolk State, VMI, and Liberty) with another FCS school coming. You might as well add Georgetown and Maryland to GMU's list too. That makes it tough to break into the recruit market, I think.

Gorilla89
June 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM
2- Saying that BYU has the same following that ND does.

Agreed. With the exception of Boston College fans, ND has the
market on Catholics. Had Rudy got into one game for 2 plays at
BYU there wouldn't have been a Movie. Are their 60 million
Moron's in the US?

UAalum72
June 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Are their 60 million
Moron's in the US?
There may be 60 million morons in the US (I could start naming them), but not Mormons.

Gorilla89
June 29th, 2007, 01:59 PM
There may be 60 million morons in the US (I could start naming them), but not Mormons.

Freudian slip.:D :D

poly51
June 29th, 2007, 03:54 PM
In most years USC plays as tough or tougher schedule than anybody and still makes it to the championship game regularly. Very rarely a cupcake on their schedule.

RabidRabbit
June 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM
In most years USC plays as tough or tougher schedule than anybody and still makes it to the championship game regularly. Very rarely a cupcake on their schedule.

Other than in conference xnodx xnodx

EPJr
June 29th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I agree with this and also ETSU.

However, as far as GMU and VCU are concerned, at what point do you decide that the state is already saturated for recruiting purposes. There are two BCS schools and (UVa and Va Tech) and seven FCS schools (JMU, Richmond, W&M, Hampton, Norfolk State, VMI, and Liberty) with another FCS school coming. You might as well add Georgetown and Maryland to GMU's list too. That makes it tough to break into the recruit market, I think.

you forgot about all the D2 and D3 schools in VA playing football too. What difference would two more make and who says recruiting would be limited to Virginia.

mcveyrl
June 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
you forgot about all the D2 and D3 schools in VA playing football too. What difference would two more make and who says recruiting would be limited to Virginia.

No, I didn't forget about the D2 and D3 schools, but they are too numerous to mention. Besides, they are not much competition as far as recruiting goes anyway (just like, realistically, the FCS schools aren't much competition for UVa and Va. Tech).

Obviously, recruiting wouldn't be limited to Virginia, but that's where the bulk of your players come from. Seven schools competing for the same level of talent is enough for me, thanks. Two more means 126 more scholarships you've got to find.

ucdtim17
June 29th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I'm not going to debate ND's schedule on this board

Fresno St. Alum
June 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
EPJr, good to see you here from D-II, you're the only source of info on the HBCU's in D-II.

UAYouKnow
June 30th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Binghamton University needs a football team. That would give all 4 University centers Division 1 football programs. I think the Albany-Binghamton rivalry would just get better.

MplsBison
June 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
How does Binghamton not have one yet Albany and SB do?

UAalum72
June 30th, 2007, 03:41 PM
How does Binghamton not have one yet Albany and SB do?
Each campus can set its own athletic policy. Since scholarship money must be generated by the athletic department and cannot come from the state or University Central, each made its own decisions, and they moved to Division I at different times.