PDA

View Full Version : Hampton University Football Season Probably Cancelled

Anthony215
July 5th, 2020, 04:11 PM
Just read that Hampton has decided to go online for the fall semester no residential students, strictly on-line which means football season is probably done.

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/07/03/hampton-university-hold-only-online-classes-fall/

Go Green
July 6th, 2020, 09:39 AM
The Atlantic is predicting that once the Ivy announces on Wednesday (as expected) that all Fall sports will be postponed until Spring, pretty much all of the FCS (and below) conferences will follow suit. And possibly some FBS leagues as well.

Baron Sardonicus
July 6th, 2020, 09:52 AM
The Atlantic is predicting that once the Ivy announces on Wednesday (as expected) that all Fall sports will be postponed until Spring, pretty much all of the FCS (and below) conferences will follow suit. And possibly some FBS leagues as well.

In The Atlantic's insular Ivy League world, everyone will follow suit. Of course they will.

Anthony215
July 6th, 2020, 10:41 AM

For FBS I think it has to be all leagues postpone until the Spring or those who can't play in the fall will just not have a 2020 season. No way you can have just an AAC/MW/SubBelt/CUSA season in the spring just to crown conference champions with no postseason available. I agree it makes most sense to postpone fall sports until the spring and run FB/BB together. Football Saturdays and BB during the week and on Sundays.

NY Crusader 2010
July 6th, 2020, 07:42 PM
For FBS I think it has to be all leagues postpone until the Spring or those who can't play in the fall will just not have a 2020 season. No way you can have just an AAC/MW/SubBelt/CUSA season in the spring just to crown conference champions with no postseason available. I agree it makes most sense to postpone fall sports until the spring and run FB/BB together. Football Saturdays and BB during the week and on Sundays.

Isn't that the way the system is set up now?

DFW HOYA
July 6th, 2020, 08:25 PM
I agree it makes most sense to postpone fall sports until the spring and run FB/BB together. Football Saturdays and BB during the week and on Sundays.

Except it's not FB/BB, it's FB/BB/Baseball/Softball/Soccer/Lacrosse/Track/Hockey etc.

lionsrking2
July 6th, 2020, 11:58 PM
Except it's not FB/BB, it's FB/BB/Baseball/Softball/Soccer/Lacrosse/Track/Hockey etc.

Exactly, and baseball is more popular than hoops at some schools in the south. Logistically, spring football would create a total cluster in many athletic departments.

NY Crusader 2010
July 7th, 2020, 05:28 AM
Exactly, and baseball is more popular than hoops at some schools in the south. Logistically, spring football would create a total cluster in many athletic departments.

My opinion: fall sports in the spring will end up working out fine. In normal times, fall sports are already utilizing field space for practices and scrimmages in the spring. Just like spring sports are utilizing field space in the fall. I'm sure some accommodations will have to be made but doubt it will be impossible.

dgtw
July 7th, 2020, 07:01 AM
I wonder if you have some leagues playing in the spring a P5 might play an FCS team as their spring game if they only had eleven games scheduled in the fall.

I guess that might create issues as seniors don’t participate in spring drills but maybe if they had a real game they would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony215
July 7th, 2020, 07:23 AM
Isn't that the way the system is set up now?

No the league champion of the AAC each year has played a P5 opponent in a bowl game as their reward. Even Temple which finished with 6th best record in the AAC last year got a P5 bowl game in the Military bowl.