PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Spiders name origin

Laker
July 3rd, 2020, 09:41 PM
With talk about the Cleveland Indians possibly changing their name- at one time they were called the Spiders. Richmond is the only college team with this name- and here is the story about how they got it.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2014/08/09/the-hair-raising-story-behind-the-university-of-richmond-spiders/

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 3rd, 2020, 09:57 PM
I'm sure NDSU's "Bison" nickname is hostile and abusive to some group out there.....xrolleyesx

Laker
July 3rd, 2020, 10:02 PM
I'm sure NDSU's "Bison" nickname is hostile and abusive to some group out there.....xrolleyesx

Titonka!

JALMOND
July 5th, 2020, 01:40 PM

Vikings in the Northwest seems to raise a few eyebrows.xnodx

OhioHen
July 6th, 2020, 06:56 AM

Well UD's use of BLUE Hens is surely offensive to all the other poultry who have been marginalized by the tyranny of favoritism toward BLUE Hens.

Chicken Lives Matter

Redbird 4th & short
July 6th, 2020, 08:34 AM
just learn to pronounce like it is spelled, and all will be forgiven.

It just defieS all reaSon, that you guyS pronounce an S like it's a Z ... like you can do whatever you want to butcher our English language. I raiSe this point becauSe theSe thingS can get very confuSing.

xnodx

BEAR
July 6th, 2020, 08:48 AM
I just thought it was because you had a spider problem....xlolx

Honestly I thought we'd be called either the monarchs (butterflies) or the tarantulas (spiders) because of the migration of both of those through Conway. xlolx While I don't think the tarantulas main path is through our city you can find them plenty!